Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
finally got around to buying this game and man i suck

it feels like the early game is just a matter of trying to grab as much gold and upgrade mats with disposable heroes as i can, my mans are coming back all crazy and i don't have the resources to fix them :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Tollymain posted:

finally got around to buying this game and man i suck

it feels like the early game is just a matter of trying to grab as much gold and upgrade mats with disposable heroes as i can, my mans are coming back all crazy and i don't have the resources to fix them :(

Me, too, apart from the sucking part. Pretty brutal poo poo-canning of anyone with 'orrible draw-backs has lead to a little bit of upgrading so I can manage those who have kick-rear end skills alongside a little bit of splurging every now and then (cf Reynauld turning into a klepto that is costing me an eye-watering 4,500 to get rid of but dude hits like a rabid truck so...).

I find myself pretty happy with a Crusader/Highwayman/Graverobber/Occultist party, they wreck poo poo fast.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
The early game is really the hardest part of the game, but if you don't get too attached to your people you'll do fine barring exceptionally bad luck on the first four runs. Don't worry about fixing your people right now. Just take care of their stress before they lose their minds if you want to keep that person around and build up piles of heirlooms with enough cash to keep the lucky ones stronger. Once you get some trinkets and enough cash to upgrade key skills and weapons/armor you'll be on easy street. Just remember that dark runs can go downhill fast if you're unlucky or not careful.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

To fall for such a little thing... a bite of bread!

I still get lines I've never heard before, they've thought of almost every situation with the narration.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I just accidentally blundered into the Swine King's room before camping, at 0 light. Holy poo poo what a mess. Dismas and Reynaud fought heroically, dancing in and out of Death's Door while making GBS threads out critical hits like madmen. My Plague Doctor and Vestal were highly clutch in preventing deaths, and somehow everyone came out of it alive and free of afflictions.

Then I decided to explore a couple more rooms, and Dismas compulsively rummaged through a corpse cart in search of food. He got the Black Death instead :saddowns:

Ithle01 posted:

The early game is really the hardest part of the game, but if you don't get too attached to your people you'll do fine barring exceptionally bad luck on the first four runs.

Always get attached to your fools and corpses. It makes the game more stressful and fun. :colbert:

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Angry Diplomat posted:

Always get attached to your fools and corpses. It makes the game more stressful and fun. :colbert:

Bah, the first ten runs are a Darwinian pressure-cooker that will distill gold from dross. Now wait until you've had a champion highwayman get taken out by two back-to-back crits and a dot tick, that's some stress right there. Or when the Unstable Flesh kills two people on your team in less than two turns.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I've had a high-level golden boy Dismas decked out with rare items get wasted by back-to-back crits. I know how that is (it sucks way bad). But it sucks even more way bad if you scrabbled to raise those characters from level 0 amidst madness and disease, only to have them die in a monstrosity's jaws in some forgotten hellhole. It's very much in the spirit of the game.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Speaking of, I just lost a Highwayman to some bad crits, bleeding, blighting and an eventual fail of resisting Death's Door. The rest of the crew freaked the gently caress out except Reynauld, boss that he is, freaked out, HULKed out and whipped out his game contract and showed the first two fiends where it says HERO in his contract and critted them off the face of the Earth with a 9 and 17.

In honour of his big, clanky balls, now he has Holy Lance. :black101:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

RightClickSaveAs posted:

To fall for such a little thing... a bite of bread!

I still get lines I've never heard before, they've thought of almost every situation with the narration.

I absolutely cannot wait for the Darkest Dungeon Dota announcer.

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~
Returned to this game after a fairly long break, so corpses and stuff were all new to me. Of course the first thing I did was to try to take down one of new bosses. It became obvious that I've lost my touch when half the team went mad about 2/3 into the dungeon. Lost a lvl 5 crusader and occultist to a heart attack before I could retreat (they were all mad by then) Didn't even make it to the boss. Fun times. Ah well, more space in the roster for new classes.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Time_pants posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA no loving way. The Houndmaster has one of the best camping skills in the game: his +Scouting skill.

Give him the +Dodge Ancestral Trinket and the Sun/Moon Cloak and pack the Ancestor's Map in one of your Healer's trinket slots and you are good to go. Have the Houndmaster use his Guard skill on your point-man (preferably a Crusader who can mark himself) every turn of combat and watch as your party takes next to no damage. All the +Scouting you get from the Houndmaster's camping skill and the Ancestor's Map means that you'll always be able to plot the safest and most efficient route and further minimize the damage your party takes.

It's essential to realize that the Houndmaster is, at heart, a non-combat/damage avoidance class. If you're just using him for his ability to deal damage to and from any rank and his (admittedly quite good) Stun skill, you are woefully underutilizing the Houndmaster. Think about this: how many points of health can your best healer restore in a single round? 20? If they're lucky? A Houndmaster can easily dodge that much damage on a single attack--and he often does it multiple times per round! Having a Houndmaster in the party can easily save you 20+ points of damage per round at Champion level. He's so good at avoiding damage for your party that you can easily make due with only an Arbalest as your primary healer. If you really want to see how sick the Dodge stat is, bring a Grave Robber (to initiate with Shadow Fade) or another Houndmaster to Guard the OTHER party member and you can easily make it through Long dungeons with only the Crusader's sporadic healing.

The Houndmaster is astoundingly good. I am genuinely astonished that he got buffed in the most recent patch because he sure as poo poo didn't need it. Stop playing the Houndmaster like every other class in the game. There are plenty of damage classes already! The Houndmaster is his own thing and he is amazing at it! Try using him the way I suggested. It will give you a whole new perspective on the class.

I undervalue scouting ability because I blindfold myself and dump truck my way through the dungeon.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Wow I wish I had upgraded instructor before now. I thought I was just going to get +5 acc +1 crit on everything, but instead I get +1 to divine grace min and max and all my plague DOTS go from 3/3 to 4/3. And they only cost 250!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Muraena posted:

Returned to this game after a fairly long break, so corpses and stuff were all new to me. Of course the first thing I did was to try to take down one of new bosses. It became obvious that I've lost my touch when half the team went mad about 2/3 into the dungeon. Lost a lvl 5 crusader and occultist to a heart attack before I could retreat (they were all mad by then) Didn't even make it to the boss. Fun times. Ah well, more space in the roster for new classes.

You haven't lost your touch, game is significantly more "gently caress you" on stress.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Muraena posted:

Consider retreating as soon as any of your team hits 100 stress and gets an affliction, unless you're close to finishing the dungeon or very confident you can manage it. Do this and you'll pretty much never lose anyone to a heart attack.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I got some sort of Cthulhu potion for my PD. It gives her +15 ranged accuracy and +30% blight/stun chance. :stare:

I know it'll probably bite me in the rear end, but right now I don't care about the -10% deathblow resistance tradeoff. Her flash grenade's stun chance is so high now that she can infallibly chain-stun the back two rows pretty much forever.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Angry Diplomat posted:

I got some sort of Cthulhu potion for my PD. It gives her +15 ranged accuracy and +30% blight/stun chance. :stare:

I know it'll probably bite me in the rear end, but right now I don't care about the -10% deathblow resistance tradeoff. Her flash grenade's stun chance is so high now that she can infallibly chain-stun the back two rows pretty much forever.
I've gotten like five of those things somehow. I only have one Plague Doctor so I ended up selling all but one. Anyways I agree it's really good. I sort of play like if someone gets hit on Death's Door they're gonna die instantly anyways so minus deathblow resistance doesn't bug me.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
According to their twitter, next update (Cove update) in two weeks.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Azran posted:

According to their twitter, next update (Cove update) in two weeks.

I can't want for Reynauld to go insane fighting gribbly horrors from the deep :unsmigghh:

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Holy poo poo long missions are awesome. I just pulled ~26,000 gold (loot + quest rewards) from a single long Veteran dungeon.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Ia Hydra

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Anybody else getting this?

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Sanzuo posted:

I had that happen to me, hopefully it will get fixed with the Cove patch.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Sanzuo posted:

I've had that too, its most likely a missing description error.

Update's coming soon, if its still there then we might as well just email them.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

So depending on how the mechanics for the darkest dungeon work, I was thinking about stuff for leveling heroes later on. Basically, after you beat all the bosses at a given level, new recruits show up at the previous level, so after beating all the level 3 bosses new guys would be level 1, level 5 bosses would have new guys show up at level 3. Maybe have it use some amount of all heirlooms as well if needed, would give something to sink them into later on.

Looking forward to new content to mess with!

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

ZypherIM posted:

So depending on how the mechanics for the darkest dungeon work, I was thinking about stuff for leveling heroes later on. Basically, after you beat all the bosses at a given level, new recruits show up at the previous level, so after beating all the level 3 bosses new guys would be level 1, level 5 bosses would have new guys show up at level 3. Maybe have it use some amount of all heirlooms as well if needed, would give something to sink them into later on.

Looking forward to new content to mess with!
I would love it if they did this.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!
According to Twitter, the Cove update should go live in about 3 hours!

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Iron Chitlin posted:

According to Twitter, the Cove update should go live in about 3 hours!

Christ, finally.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

So does anyone have any bright ideas on how to tackle the new Cove boss, the Siren? I know the update isn't up yet, but certainly the prospect of playing down a party member in a 3-on-2 brawl where you actively don't want to hurt one of the opponents under any circumstance has got to be a fairly interesting challenge that had you thinking as soon as you heard about it. First reports from the people who fought the new boss at PAX said that she's vulnerable to Stun. I'm planning on bringing two classes with Stun and playing the battle really defensively. I fear that bringing party members with big, explosive damage output is going to run the risk of a lucky Grapeshot Blast crit from an entranced Highwayman or a Hew crit from an entranced Leper destroying the party. Instead, I'm planning on piling on the +Dodge to make whoever gets entranced a bit heartier and just try to grind the battle out. Anyone else thinking the same?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
:stare: Um, did they change the levelling mechanic? Because suddenly I have 4 level 6 people when before I only had 2 level 5 people.

Edit: Yeah, it looks like everyone above level 3 got promoted.

Edit 2: Another change: you only get one type of heirloom as a reward for each dungeon now.

Oh, and thank god they changed the maximum party number from 22 to 25, because I was going to have to delete people otherwise to do the level 1 cove dungeon.

Edit 3: Hahaha the corpses look so hosed up now (I mean that in a good way)

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 29, 2015

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Is there a full changelog anywhere yet?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
From Reddit:

quote:

The Cove

- The Cove dungeon region, featuring 7 new monsters, 2 new bosses, new curios, all new environment art, and new music!

- The Cove features monsters that are in general both fast and bleed resistant, and also have many bleed-causing attacks.

- The Cove monsters also include some key mechanics previously unused by monsters, such as healing and guarding! These mechanics may begin to work their way into other dungeon regions in the future... beware!

- You do not need to begin a new campaign to play The Cove. Cove quests will spawn alongside quests from other regions.

Gameplay

- Idle heroes in town will recover a small amount of stress between quests even if not placed in active treatment at the Tavern or Abbey

- By popular demand: unused dungeon supplies now sell back at the end of a quest (for a smallish percentage of their value)

- Increased roster size a bit so players with full rosters can recruit some new heroes and go Cove spelunking even at low level quests

- Streamlined combat flow to keep the pace brisk and reduce many of the small waits that occur between chained events

- Revised the core combat damage calculation so trinkets and other buffs apply in a more even way to AOE attacks. This will preserve intended damage balance of AOE vs single target attacks and help keep both approaches situationally useful. Previously, trinket and other buffs were amplifying AOE damage unfairly with respect to single target attacks. The revised calculation applies the base skill modifier directly to the weapon damage, and then totals all other buffs before applying them to this base result.

- Trinkets have received a much-needed balance pass. The goal was to ensure that rarer trinkets are more reliably valuable than less rare trinkets, and also to make many previously uninteresting trinkets (both general and class-specific) more interesting. While some trinkets will obviously be better than others for some classes, dungeons, or situations, we have improved many of the trinkets that were particularly weak or problematic. A few trinkets have been nerfed (in cases where the value was just too high compared to other trinkets). Some trinkets have had their rarity adjusted, and we will likely do more of this once we measure the results of these changes. Additional trinket adjustments may also be required in the future.

- Trinket drops are a bit more constrained--you won't see as many rare drops in lower level dungeons.

- Resolve level 0 and 1 heroes now have more disease resistance! After all, they are fresh off the stagecoach and are the healthiest they'll ever be!

- Some more small mobs don't leave corpses (e.g. dogs, spiders, gargoyles)

- Adjustments to the surprise mechanic: surprised monsters now act last in the first round but no longer lose an entire turn.

- Players cannot retreat during the first combat round if they were surprised.

- Retreating from combat adds stress

- Some skills effects that didn't show % chance now show % chance in the associated skill tooltips (e.g. Jester stress heals)

- Riposting heroes won't riposte against 0-damage causing attacks

- Heroes and monsters generally shouldn't be able to crit on a 0 damage attack

- Torchlight properly drops to 0 during camping ambushes

- Corpses don’t give critting stress relief

- Fixed bug where both +herosurprise and +monstersurprise was occuring in dim light. (Should just be +heroes surprised)

- Camping ambushes always surprise the party

- Many misc bug fixes

Art

- Heroes' armor icons now visually upgrade with each new rank

- All quest objects (ex. Reliquary) now have unique art

- Foreground layer added to every dungeon

- New pop-text icons for greater 'at-a-glance' clarity on skill effects.

- Tray icons/character panel icons restyled to match pop-text icons

- Updated Corpse art

- Rebalanced several enemy color tints

- New pose for Plague Doctor's 'Incision' skill

Audio

- Click to advance through plot quest (boss) narration on loading screens

- Full music and sound design on the Cove!

- All new music by Stuart Chatwood

- Ambiences

- Wet footstep recordings

- All new props! Ever wondered what sifting a through a whale carcass sounds like? wonder no more!

- All enemies and bosses fully designed with unique attacks, impacts and voices

- Live recorded voice of the Siren singing along to the battle track

- Nearly 100 new lines for the Narrator including more coverage for already existing events

- Narration lines no longer limited to playing only 99 times in a given campaign

- New music arrangements for hallway battles in all regions

- Redid all traps, trap disarms, trap dodges

- Redesigned impacts on some existing enemy attacks

- Retimed battle-end stinger and sound triggers

- Brigand Pounder, Gibbering Prophet and Formless Flesh bosses now all have dungeon intro/outro narration

- Final notes: the large amount of new content and features means that some bugs will likely have slipped through. Report what you find in the Steam forums / on twitter @darkestdungeon / via email support@redhookgames.com. Rest assured we'll be monitoring and working on fixes as fast as we are able!

- Delve deep and remember: avoid all pacts with undead sailors!

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

FourLeaf posted:

Retreating causes stress.

Ooooooh. I kind of imagine a pillar of salt scenario if your dude dies of a heart attack during a retreat because he decided to look back.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

That's a lot of poo poo. drat. Gonna start a new Estate when I get home tonight.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
This trinket rebalance is amazing. Things have, in general, gotten stronger, and they seem to try to be have the pros and cons of a trinket come from different areas of specialization.

There are so many items totally worth using now; they might not give huge bonuses, but even the common stuff usually gives notably bigger bonuses than penalties.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

So the new boss, the Siren is just the slightest bit easier than I anticipated. It turns out that her Siren Song that "borrows" a party member only lasts for a round or so and can be resisted because it counts as a Debuff. For some reason, I expected her to always have one party member under her spell--either the same one or swapping between a few--but she only steals a party member occasionally, and much of the danger there can be mitigated by careful skill selection. I ran my Hellion with three skills because I didn't want any sudden nastiness from YAWP! or Breakthru. I'd imagine that you would probably want to pack some +Debuff resist gear outside of Novice level. Has anyone fought the second boss yet? Any trip reports?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Well to be fair that still looks weaker than some trinkets, but useful enough that you'd use it. Stuff like sun/moon were so much stronger than other things that a lot of stuff was instant sell instead of use until getting your rarer one. Time to start a new estate though!

Edit: Not sure how I feel about only 1 heirloom per place. Really slows down your upgrade progress, and you're probably going to spend a lot of trips to the cove. I'm guessing they're trying to avoid letting you skip places that you don't like to go, and a bit of a nerf to shorter dungeons (heirloom quest reward is a smaller amount of your total haul in a longer dungeon).

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 30, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I'm two fights into Cove and Reynauld and my best Plague Doctor have been on Death's Door a half-dozen times each.

Bring bandages.

Bring a shitload of them.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
God drat that spear fish is a monster. 18 damage average even without buffs or crits? And they usually get to attack first? And I have to fight 4 of them at the same time? Are you kidding me?? :gonk:

I also got into the worst possible scenario where the Man-at-Arms fish was Guarding the shaman fish, while the shaman fish was healing the minuscule amount of damage I managed to inflict on the Man-at-Arms fish thanks to its buffed 78% PROT. :suicide:

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

Time_pants posted:

Has anyone fought the second boss yet? Any trip reports?
I fought him. I'm not totally sure how he works but this is my impression. He can summon a crew member who can hit one of your teammates with an anchor, while the anchor is wrapped around them they take stress damage every turn and the boss heals every turn. It maybe also does damage over time, I'm not sure? I never saw a notification that damage was happening, but at some point that party member ended up being at 1 health. It's not like the Hag's cauldron though, you can realistically kill the crew member every turn, he has low health. He'll summon another one but at least you don't have to deal with one guy having an anchor on them all the time.

I somehow won without really understanding the mechanics by just hitting him with If It Bleeds a bunch :v: On higher difficulties I imagine you probably won't be able to get away with that.

e: Oh I forgot to mention, the game crashed twice and I was only playing for about an hour. I've never had the game crash before so multiple crashes in such a short time seems pretty not great.

may contain peanuts fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

FourLeaf posted:

God drat that spear fish is a monster. 18 damage average even without buffs or crits? And they usually get to attack first? And I have to fight 4 of them at the same time? Are you kidding me?? :gonk:

I also got into the worst possible scenario where the Man-at-Arms fish was Guarding the shaman fish, while the shaman fish was healing the minuscule amount of damage I managed to inflict on the Man-at-Arms fish thanks to its buffed 78% PROT. :suicide:

I feel like this is penance for abusing the poo poo out of the Houndmaster's Guard ability. I sent a tweet to the Dev team about the Guardian monsters being able to maintain a Guard on an ally while Stunned. Not sure if that's working as intended, but that would at least offer a way of dealing with them long enough to get at whoever they're Guarding. No question, though: they're my least favorite enemies of all time.

OF ALL TIME