Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Yeah but he's gonna get the value back when it goes open so no real loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Burno posted:

The survey thing is a mod from Aslain's

edit: my thoughts on the Atlanta:

You have bad opinions and are probably bad at ships.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

You have bad opinions and are probably bad at ships.

No, I just dislike bad ships.

edit: bad might be too strong, but it is definitely not a great ship. It used to be amazing when you could machine gun AP into everything, similar with the Cleveland.

Burno fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 7, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Burno posted:

No, I just dislike bad ships.

edit: bad might be too strong, but it is definitely not a great ship. It used to be amazing when you could machine gun AP into everything, similar with the Cleveland.

:confused:
These are words, but put together like this they make no sense.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Double clicked by accident, 1 AP shell managed to hit a friendly Cleveland 17 km off. Crit hit to turret for 11,500 damage :stare:

It was 1 cap domination, half our teams including me sat at cap and fended off enemy at ~10 km range. Even then I was missing quite a bit due to dispersion loving me up. That and shells doing 1,050 damage pretty much all the time even when citadel was poo poo. Now I got Colorado and just hope it's better :ohdear:

e: Wow it's horrible as well, probably worse :cripes:

Aesis fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 7, 2015

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
How are the Murmansk and Warspite?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Mahasamatman posted:

I've played neither but I'm not sure why you'd buy the Murmansk. Omaha isn't amazing in the first place, and if you enjoy it you can just keep the Omaha. Crew training isn't all that important in general.
Warspite is hard to citadel hit I guess? There's almost guaranteed to be an identical ship in the British tree when it's released though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

James Garfield posted:

I've played neither but I'm not sure why you'd buy the Murmansk. Omaha isn't amazing in the first place, and if you enjoy it you can just keep the Omaha. Crew training isn't all that important in general.
Warspite is hard to citadel hit I guess? There's almost guaranteed to be an identical ship in the British tree when it's released though.

Well, at the moment, you can move same-nation captains freely between ship types without penalty, meaning you only need one premium ship per class to train all same-nation captains. But who knows if they'll eventually make it so carrier captains can only drive/operate ships of like class, and if they ever make it so there are sub-officers/department heads to round out crew dynamics, whether *they'll* be tied to ship class. It's a hedge bet against the future - because the Sverdlov might be a monster (and very likely the T10 Russian cruiser, since its successor had ASMs).

Also, the Murmansk does get 8km torps to the Omaha's 5km, plus the Murmansk turns better.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 7, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Probably likely since WoT has tank type restriction (ie. can't put crew from TD into Medium). Since Wargaming did add premium Destroyer/Battleship/Cruiser I'd say it's likely there will be restriction.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, the Murmansk does get 8km torps to the Omaha's 5km, plus the Murmansk turns better.
Longer torp range than Sims/Atlanta too :v:

Oh and I have no idea how I'm getting 1,440 average xp with only 31,000 average damage with Colorado. Oh well, I just need to endure until I get North Carolina :smith:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah - and provided it *stays* like that, the best Russian ship at the moment is the Grem, but some people don't want to pay the price for it, so the only game in town after that is the Murmansk (at present), because the Aurora is dogshit.

Generalissimo
Jun 13, 2003

Aesis posted:

Probably likely since WoT has tank type restriction (ie. can't put crew from TD into Medium). Since Wargaming did add premium Destroyer/Battleship/Cruiser I'd say it's likely there will be restriction.
World of Warplanes used to be like tanks in this way, but they later changed it so you can use pilots trained in any type of plane in all their nation's premium planes without penalty. Like WoWS's boats with just their captain, most planes in WoWP have just their pilot. Then WoWS adds captains and you can use them basically like you can in WoWP. It's going to stay that way.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Mahasamatman posted:

I am trying desperately to like the Warspite but the lack of range and turn rate of the guns are just so bad compared to the fact that the thing can spin on a dime. You can almost literally turn the ship 180 in twice it's own length but then sit twiddling your thumbs for 30 seconds whilst the guns come round. This may sound pretty normal for a BB but you can also just do tiny course corrections when aiming and have your guns drop off target for 5 seconds, which is REALLY annoying.

However, keep in open water and it's a very hard ship to hit with torps, has decent AA, OK secondaries and when you do hit something you can deal a lot of damage.

Apart from that ROYAL NAVY :britain:

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Burno posted:

No, I just dislike bad ships but I have bad opinions so ignore me.

edit: bad is wrong, it is definitely a great ship. It's amazing when you machine gun HE into everything, similar with the Cleveland.

t:mad:

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
i've submitted an application for a code, is there an easier way to get hold of one?

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/

buy any of the 3 preorder ships, or the bundle of all 3. :)

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

TehKeen posted:

https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/

buy any of the 3 preorder ships, or the bundle of all 3. :)

I'd strongly recommend just getting the Gremy if you go this route. The other two are pretty "meh."

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I just had my first match in the SoCa, and it was awful. We won effortlessly but I was so slow the battle ended before I could really even get to the fight. I think I got three whole hits in, because everything else died before I could get into range - <700 on a 1.5x win. :(

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

El Disco posted:

I'd strongly recommend just getting the Gremy if you go this route. The other two are pretty "meh."

Advantage of the three pack: You get a lot of premium time, a very good and two very mediocre ships, and enough gold to buy the Atlanta.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
I'm hoping this game goes into open beta soon. With a wipe on the horizon my motivation to play just isn't there.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

Michaellaneous posted:

Advantage of the three pack: You get a lot of premium time, a very good and two very mediocre ships, and enough gold to buy the Atlanta.

The three pack is just under the price of what you could expect to pay for your average AAA release, and from what I've played of it is gives you enough stuff to cut grinding for ships down to a minimum.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Worldshatter posted:

The three pack is just under the price of what you could expect to pay for your average AAA release, and from what I've played of it is gives you enough stuff to cut grinding for ships down to a minimum.

Well, once again, don't use free XP to skip ship grind, only module grind.
The price is okay I guess. The fact that two of the three ships is meh is not helping tho.

But really don't ask me for advice on buying stuff because I also bought the most expensive AW pack a week ago.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

TehKeen posted:

I just had my first match in the SoCa, and it was awful. We won effortlessly but I was so slow the battle ended before I could really even get to the fight. I think I got three whole hits in, because everything else died before I could get into range - <700 on a 1.5x win. :(

The USN BB's at least up through the New Mexico have been miserable. They're slow, I think the max on the NY was 20.1 kts and the NM isn't much of an improvement. The range is still not enough to deal with the higher tier ships whose guns out range you. The IJN ships feel better so far, even the USN cruisers seem better at the same tier or is it that the Cleveland being a non-restricted ship for that era was just better?

Michaellaneous posted:

But really don't ask me for advice on buying stuff because I also bought the most expensive AW pack a week ago.

I was drat close to using free xp to get out of the NY.

And don't feel bad, AW hooked me on the LoW the minute they posted the availability. I feel like it's a better investment than WoT for me because for now they are being attentive to the community. I think we have enough of us to start up a thread too.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 7, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

demonR6 posted:

The USN BB's at least up through the New Mexico have been miserable. They're slow, I think the max on the NY was 20.1 kts and the NM isn't much of an improvement. The range is still not enough to deal with the higher tier ships whose guns out range you. The IJN ships feel better so far, even the USN cruisers seem better at the same tier or is it that the Cleveland being a non-restricted ship for that era was just better?
21 Knots but you rarely reach that speed with constant turning and stopping. And yes the range is a big issue, even with upgrade and module max range is 17 km on NM and 19 km on Colorado. Not only that but the spread is quite insane. It's just painful to use and infuriating that Cruisers shooting you from 15 km can deal 3~4k damage every shot due to accuracy + set on fire while you just have to hope that one of your shells will at least hit. Then it's just watching minimum damage pop up (if it pens) because it's so hard to hit citadel with that much spread anyway. I pretty much gave up maintaining range and just close in for brawl, but it's not possible unless I'm sitting on cap with DD. Even then hitting citadel at 5 km is slightly hard due to turret rotation and spread.

I can say US BB is a joke up to Colorado. I'd just use US Cruisers tbh.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

demonR6 posted:

And don't feel bad, AW hooked me on the LoW the minute they posted the availability. I feel like it's a better investment than WoT for me because for now they are being attentive to the community. I think we have enough of us to start up a thread too.

Yeah, I've been looking at LoW, and I can't resist getting an MBT-70 for more glorious World of Wargame action. Plus, having an actually thought through PvE mode as a safety valve for when you can't stand pubbies is going to be great.

Any idea on when the server'll be up next?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

El_Molestadore posted:

I'm hoping this game goes into open beta soon. With a wipe on the horizon my motivation to play just isn't there.

I'm pretty much at the same point right now. I've gotten most of the lines up to T8, and I just play a game or two occasionally at this point, as I'm not even trying to grind to a T9.

xthetenth posted:

Yeah, I've been looking at LoW, and I can't resist getting an MBT-70 for more glorious World of Wargame action. Plus, having an actually thought through PvE mode as a safety valve for when you can't stand pubbies is going to be great.

I no longer keep up on the latest up and coming games. What is AW and LoW?

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
In terms of end game, is it really only the tier 10 ships that matter? You're only in all the crappy ships along the way for a finite period of time. There seems to be little or no incentive to play tiers lower than what you're grinding for.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The Locator posted:

I no longer keep up on the latest up and coming games. What is AW and LoW?

Armored Warfare, and their Lord of War preorder pack: why did I spend seventy bucks on pixel tanks

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I spent way more on the aborted baby named Mechwarrior Online which is still a hot turd to this day.

I'll check the beta forums when I get home for the next dates but pretty sure they said 2-3 weeks.

I hopefully won't regret throwing away the money for the LoW package but I won't keep my hopes up.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

jownzy posted:

In terms of end game, is it really only the tier 10 ships that matter? You're only in all the crappy ships along the way for a finite period of time. There seems to be little or no incentive to play tiers lower than what you're grinding for.

Do you play WoT? If so, how often do you play your tier 10s? Same in this game.

If you don't play WoT, then play the ships you like. Currently, and I can't see it getting unseated any time soon, the tier 3 St Louis is my fave ship and I will always have it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

xthetenth posted:

Armored Warfare, and their Lord of War preorder pack: why did I spend seventy bucks on pixel tanks

Thanks. I have seen previews and game play video's for that, but for whatever reason, I just don't have the desire to even try it. I stopped playing WoT well over a year ago, and haven't had any desire to play it either. Dunno why I like playing ships, since it's pretty much the same concept, although the gameplay is quite different given the platforms and terrain of course.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

jownzy posted:

Making credits to pay the ~9 million for a tier 10 is the incentive to pay lower tiers. Tier 9s barely make more than the cost of service in most cases. If you do not have premium and a premium ship to grind credits, your favorite tier 3-5 is the best way to make credits.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
For me tier 5 is the sweet spot unless I get into a division with the Cleveland and have a string of good games where I can make bank.

Also anyone having issues with FPS and running and nvidia card with the latest graphics, roll them back on a clean install I am back to 55 frame average.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Anyone know if there's a workaround for the terrible load times? I really miss being able to load in a reasonable time. :(

xthetenth posted:

Any idea on when the server'll be up next?
I'm glad that I'm not the only one that was tempted by the $70 pack because of the MBT-70. Went for the $15 though because I can upgrade it later and even if I don't end up with the biggest package the MBT-70 isn't an exclusive pre-order premium.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I am loading with a second or two before the match starts or even after now.. no idea why all of a sudden.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

grrarg posted:

Making credits to pay the ~9 million for a tier 10 is the incentive to pay lower tiers. Tier 9s barely make more than the cost of service in most cases. If you do not have premium and a premium ship to grind credits, your favorite tier 3-5 is the best way to make credits.

No I haven't played WoT, so when I have the 9 million credits, then what do I do? Do people primarily play tier 10, or does the objective of the game turn into making credits...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

demonR6 posted:

I am loading with a second or two before the match starts or even after now.. no idea why all of a sudden.

That started for me when they went to version 1.30 (I think - a few weeks ago). Prior to that version I was loaded and in game waiting, typically with 28~30 seconds of count-down on the clock. Since that patch I rarely ever load in prior to the game actually being started.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

jownzy posted:

No I haven't played WoT, so when I have the 9 million credits, then what do I do? Do people primarily play tier 10, or does the objective of the game turn into making credits...

Take your current xp and credit income and halve it. That will be the ballpark on where you will be at income levels. I dunno if xp/cost will go up from where they are now. Just halving the income should cut it down pretty well.

Other than that, once you have a tier 10, then you work on getting another tier 10. If/When clan boats equivalent to clan WoT clan wars get implemented, they you'll play your tier 10s there competitively with other clan members. After that, you can do whatever you want. Back in the day, most people farted around in tiers 5-7 for WoT because there was a lot of fun to be had. Basically, you make the game how you want. Other goons just spend their time trolling the player base all day long. Usually with subtle jabs that set off tirades while the original text was relatively benign.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Drop torp spread at a Nagato, Tokyo drift in front of a Yamato while dropping other side of torps on him at point blank, come around and finish off the Nagato.

Just another day in the Zao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpv-a4vIN28

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Burno you missed a doozie last night. A couple matches after you left I was in the Cleveland and burned down two ships sinking another two DD's who were sent out to get me. They both rounded the corner of and island and I fired a nearly point blank broadside obliterating one.. the second turned into and was caught up in the sinking buddy then ate my reload of HE while he watched his torps he launched his the sinking ship. The 'gently caress you OP piece of poo poo' were special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

jownzy posted:

The goal of the game is to have fun. If you have fun getting all T10s, go for it. If you would rather group up with two other goons and stomp them in the best ships, then that is what you should do.

It all depends on what your goal is.

e: For all your :spergin: and :fap: needs http://www.navsource.org/

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 8, 2015