Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

howe_sam posted:

It's a Benedict Cumberbatch in Star Trek situation.

This is the one issue I have with the casting (assuming it's true), is that they're pulling the 'mystery box' poo poo on us. When has it really ever worked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Or they're going to announce it sometime in the 11 months before it comes out.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Codependent Poster posted:

I really liked Seeking a Friend for the End of the World so hope Scafaria gets it.
Tonally that was the weirdest movie I've seen in my life. It feels like at least two movies slammed together and it's very awkward.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aphrodite posted:

Or they're going to announce it sometime in the 11 months before it comes out.

If they were going to announce it before release, why hide it in the first place?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

If they were going to announce it before release, why hide it in the first place?

Probably so they could have a teaser/trailer out before the racist fans began to notice that both of Peter's love interests are black. If they can show its interesting/fun before the racists come out they could avoid a GB situation with the down votes, harassment of black actresses, etc.

Look what happened to Leslie Jones. It's horrible.

Another thing now I think about it.. I don't understand how you be fan of certain heroes, especially ones like Spiderman or Superman who are characterized by their goodness and big hearts and be racist and about what's going on in their stories. Do you really think Peter Parker would be cool with that? Maybe it's because I looked at these figures as inspiration when I was a kid. I dunno. I really don't believe that Peter especially, who grew up in Brooklyn wouldn't love MJ if she showed up the first time with the same personality but looking like Zendaya.

I mean, come on. This gif has "Face it, tiger..." written all over it.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 25, 2016

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Yvonmukluk posted:

This is the one issue I have with the casting (assuming it's true), is that they're pulling the 'mystery box' poo poo on us. When has it really ever worked?
Batman Begins. The Ra's al Ghul reveal.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Someone suggested that she should spend the whole film as dowdy, dress down and kinda boringly normal Ultimate-style MJ then, right at the end, Peter goes to pick her up for their prom and boom, in true Clark Kent fashion she is revealed as mega glam, internationally renowned teenage supermodel Mary-Jane Watson and busts out *the* line. That could be a fun note to end it on.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I never suspected that Guy Pearce was actually the Mandarin, sort of. Well, he yelled it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I really hope they don't go for the Michelle/MJ reveal. It sounds so lame. Like the audience is going to be blown back into their seats with a Sixth Sense-level twist that someone whose name starts with M is called MJ in a totally unexpected way! Whoa, it turns out this girl who is Peter's girlfriend is actually... Peter's girlfriend?!?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Still expecting that MJ is already famous and it's a Hannah Montana thing.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Cythereal posted:

Yes. According to a big supposed leak, Justice League introduces the idea that Darkseid invaded Earth a long time ago and was driven off by an alliance of humans, Atlanteans, and Amazons. Three mother boxes were left behind, one in the hands of each race. Now Darkseid is sending his greatest general on an advance mission to reclaim the boxes before a full invasion.

Doesn't this premise kinda defeat the purpose of our Justice League? If some no-name regular humans, Amazons, and Atlanteans pulled it off, how does this threat necessitate Superman? Hell, send the Suicide Squad.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Michelle was almost definitely just a name used in production. There's no reason to think there's going to be an in-fiction reveal like that.

Like a lot of high profile movies have coded titles during pre production to throw people off the track, they don't make a jokey reference to the secret title in the finished movie.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

INTIMIDATION GAME

aka

Batman Begins

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Maybe they changed her name to Michelle Jane to get away from the pot connotations :350:

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Koalas March posted:

Probably so they could have a teaser/trailer out before the racist fans began to notice that both of Peter's love interests are black. If they can show its interesting/fun before the racists come out they could avoid a GB situation with the down votes, harassment of black actresses, etc.

Look what happened to Leslie Jones. It's horrible.

Another thing now I think about it.. I don't understand how you be fan of certain heroes, especially ones like Spiderman or Superman who are characterized by their goodness and big hearts and be racist and about what's going on in their stories. Do you really think Peter Parker would be cool with that? Maybe it's because I looked at these figures as inspiration when I was a kid. I dunno. I really don't believe that Peter especially, who grew up in Brooklyn wouldn't love MJ if she showed up the first time with the same personality but looking like Zendaya.

I mean, come on. This gif has "Face it, tiger..." written all over it.

More like a 'deal with it' face

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Die Laughing posted:

Were you beating her to death? I think we figured out your forum origin story.

Nice try, I am frail and cowardly

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dario the Wop posted:

Batman Begins. The Ra's al Ghul reveal.

Halloween Jack posted:

I never suspected that Guy Pearce was actually the Mandarin, sort of. Well, he yelled it.
To be fair, in both those cases Ras and the Mandarin were both I believe revealed before release (or in the first act), but it turned out that the 'real' person was another character. I'm talking about a character who apparentlly has no link to anyone from the original property being revealed as a 'shocking twist' to have been character X all along. I guess Talia in DKR, since that was kind of another bait-and-switch with Bane's backstory.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

SlimGoodbody posted:

Nice try, I am frail and cowardly

Frail and cowardly Slim Goodbody by day...

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

Frail and cowardly Slim Goodbody by day...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So you're the villainous ThickBadbody! I never would have guessed.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Wouldn't he be the one that gets tearfully beaten to death, then?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Madkal posted:

Maybe they changed her name to Michelle Jane to get away from the pot connotations :350:

They should change her name to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DaJT7Sk6g8

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Madkal posted:

I remember that being a joke in one of those live-action Scooby-Doo movies James Gunn wrote.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was watching the Marvel Youtube show and they straight up referred to her as Mary Jane so that's pretty much as good a source as anything.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The guys who wrote the movie adapatation of "The Fault In Our Stars" (Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber) are apparently the guys writing the New Mutants movie, working alongside the director of "The Fault In Our Stars" (Josh Boone). The reported lineup is gonna be Dani Moonstar, Magik, Sunspot, Cannonball, Wolfsbane, and Warlock, so basically a mix of the first and second teams of New Mutants.

Good, fairly diverse lineup - would've preferred Karma over Wolfsbane, but I won't quibble as long as they portray the Greatest Bromance In Comics well and do right by Magik. Although with this news and the reports that Noah Hawley's Legion is gonna be a big influence - whatever that actually means and assuming that's actually true - on the X-Universe moving forward, I feel like we're seeing the first bits of fallout from the supremely disappointing performance of Apocalypse in the box office. It does feel like Fox is trying to pivot and actually reach into the insanely deep roster of mutants they have access to over another loving Wolverine/Mystique/Xavier/Magneto movie, and I hope that this movie does well.

THR link.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Weird to have warlock and no Doug since that means douglock will never happen, which is the only reason you'd make a new mutants movie.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

Weird to have warlock and no Doug since that means douglock will never happen, which is the only reason you'd make a new mutants movie.

They probably don't want to sort out who Hulkling belongs to (I'm assuming that's who Doug is)

Edit: Wait, I'm thinking of Wiccan and Hulkling. Who do you mean by Warlock? I never read much New Mutants

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SlimGoodbody posted:

They probably don't want to sort out who Hulkling belongs to (I'm assuming that's who Doug is)

Edit: Wait, I'm thinking of Wiccan and Hulkling. Who do you mean by Warlock? I never read much New Mutants

:frogout:

Basically he's a technoorganic alien who unlike the rest of his species is largely pacifistic. He's BFFs with Cypher AKA Doug Ramsey, a mutant with the power to understand any language.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

OOOOOH duh yes, Warlock. He's part of the... Phalanx? I think? He's all crazy black and yellow looking.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pretty typical Marvel short list. Young and hungry, but this time them being all women is nice. The lack of stature probably allows Marvel to marshall more control as well.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shageletic posted:

Pretty typical Marvel short list. Young and hungry, but this time them being all women is nice. The lack of stature probably allows Marvel to marshall more control as well.

Well, one of them I suppose.

quote:

Niki Caro was born in 1967 in Wellington, New Zealand.

quote:

Lesli Linka Glatter ... Born: July 26, 1953, Dallas, Texas

quote:

Lorene Scafaria ... Born: May 1, 1978, Holmdel, New Jersey

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I hope Glatter gets the gig.

And describing her as young and hungry, haha.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lobok posted:

Well, one of them I suppose.

Due to sliding timelines they are still all in their early 30s

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Man it looks like Glatter has done basically everything.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They've stated that even if they don't go with one of those three they're still definitely going with a woman.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So apparently the plan was if the Russo's couldn't get Robert Downey Jr. For Civil War, the ending to the film was going to use the Madbomb from the classic Jack Kirby Cap story.

http://www.gamesradar.com/captain-america-civil-war-almost-zombie-movie-robert-downey-jr/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

So apparently the plan was if the Russo's couldn't get Robert Downey Jr. For Civil War, the ending to the film was going to use the Madbomb from the classic Jack Kirby Cap story.

http://www.gamesradar.com/captain-america-civil-war-almost-zombie-movie-robert-downey-jr/

"How can Captain America disable someone without killing them" is a hell of a lot less interesting a concept when the film pretty shamelessly shows Captain America disabling-without-killing all the time.

Unless Cap is in fact murdering a bunch of police officers in which case way to be a poo poo, Cap.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I wonder if they'd ever do a Marvel Zombies standalone, with a zombie MCU invading the regular one.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

No thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Wouldn't want to give Arthur Suydam royalties, given the uptick in trade sales, I suppose. It seems like a logical idea from a board room pov though.

• Locked thread