Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

Why? This isn't a governmental decision, so what is the compelling reason to publicize it beyond a desire to corrupt the process by threatening people who don't vote the way you like?

You seem to think that it doesn't corrupt the process with governmental decisions though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Frijolero posted:

Let's make every single post about me and exaggerate every goddman thing I don't agree with. Hooray for me!

If you want to shut me up, you'll have to kill me, babe. I enjoy the right to freedom of speech and will use it until you Bernouts make it illegal to criticize Bernie, at which point I will be murdered by your secret police. Looking forward to it.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Brainiac Five posted:

If you want to shut me up, you'll have to kill me, babe. I enjoy the right to freedom of speech and will use it until you Bernouts make it illegal to criticize Bernie, at which point I will be murdered by your secret police. Looking forward to it.

me too.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

thechosenone posted:

You seem to think that it doesn't corrupt the process with governmental decisions though?

Government is inherently public in a way political parties are not.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Nocturtle posted:

I missed this, is it true? For example I can't find the individual votes from the 2011 DNC election anywahere online. Changing the rules for this specific election to allow a secret ballot would be a clear sign that the Democrat establishment views itself in open conflict with progressives (and fears reprisals). I'd be a little shocked if it's true.

Because there weren't any for 2011.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Don't you have a cross to burn on someone's lawn, Bruno?

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

But political parties are what run the government?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Brainiac Five posted:

fortunately, the dem charter says they are public in this case: "All meetings of the Democratic National Committee, the Executive Committee, and all other official Party committees, commissions and bodies shall be open to the public, and votes shall not be taken by secret ballot. "

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Condiv posted:

fortunately, the dem charter says they are public in this case: "All meetings of the Democratic National Committee, the Executive Committee, and all other official Party committees, commissions and bodies shall be open to the public, and votes shall not be taken by secret ballot. "

Which makes me wonder why they would suddenly be sweating it now, when they wouldn't have earlier?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Because there weren't any for 2011.

hmm so the Centrists in control of the party have been ignoring their own rules for a long time

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

Nah, that was some guy who was actually two dogs in a Klan outfit. I think they got distracted and started digging holes to find some bacon they buried.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Condiv posted:

hmm so the Centrists in control of the party have been ignoring their own rules for a long time

No, there wasn't a leadership race in 2011. The last time there was an open leadership race was 2005.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

As it is, you don't seem to have really posited any information to corroborate your hypothesis, so I would be pretty interested if you would do so.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

Nevvy Z posted:

How many trees are in your back yard?

your question doesn't have anything to do with the post you are quoting either

I dunno; half a dozen? I guess it depends on where the property line is drawn.

I'm just going to repeat that to you because I know it burns you up. The only thing you ostensibly have - the ability to win elections - you demonstrably can't even achieve. No ideas, no substantive policy aside from occasionally bombing people in Libya & Yemen, no actual protection offered to minority groups until the body public is already on board... and now, finally, no election victories either.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

thechosenone posted:

But political parties are what run the government?

They're voluntary associations and demanding that people have no or extremely limited privacy if they're a member is counterproductive and morally disgusting.

Condiv posted:

Then you'll have plenty of chances to find out who to harass and stalk for voting wrong.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

No, there wasn't a leadership race in 2011.

so they're ignoring their rules now

cause last i checked there was an election in 2017, and the ballot has not been made public

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

They're voluntary associations and demanding that people have no or extremely limited privacy if they're a member is counterproductive and morally disgusting.

Then you'll have plenty of chances to find out who to harass and stalk for voting wrong.

Except they had a private vote? Also running for office is voluntary as well, so I see no problem with scrutinizing these voluntary positions as well?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Condiv posted:

so they're ignoring their rules now

cause last i checked there was an election in 2017, and the ballot has not been made public

The ballots were signed and verified and the count made public to those in the room, so no they followed their rules.

thechosenone posted:

Except they had a private vote? Also running for office is voluntary as well, so I see no problem with scrutinizing these voluntary positions as well?

No, they had a vote on paper. The ballots were signed and verified.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

thechosenone posted:

You are demanding they not have any privacy except where you say they can. Should employers be able to demand employee political affiliations?

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The ballots were signed and verified and the count made public to those in the room, so no they followed their rules.

Well, that certainly seems clear to me! Rather, it feels like it sort of actually decreases transparency unless they have someone leak, and then it seems like it punishes those who are in the minority in the party, where they can be harmed much more directly than by some poor person across the nation.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Can anyone explain why the DNC should ignore their own bylaws?

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

You are demanding they not have any privacy except where you say they can. Should employers be able to demand employee political affiliations?

Why would you say they cannot have any privacy except where I say they can? I only seem to want to know what they vote for? What else do you think I want?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

thechosenone posted:

Well, that certainly seems clear to me! Rather, it feels like it sort of actually decreases transparency unless they have someone leak, and then it seems like it punishes those who are in the minority in the party, where they can be harmed much more directly than by some poor person across the nation.

What, no.

Crowsbeak posted:

Can anyone explain why the DNC should ignore their own bylaws?

They didn't?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Oh my god pull up everyone please I can't keep listening to this bootlicking freak apologize for powerful institutions.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brainiac Five posted:

I'd love it if you shut up for a bit so we can discuss the (D) and DNC.

Honest question: Why are you obsessed with criticizing Bernie?

Don't you have actual Democratic Party leaders to talk about? Shouldn't you be worried about the 2018 election, which is practically happening tomorrow?

What message is your political guild going to put out to assure a win in 2018? What strategies have you developed to get more working class votes?

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

As far as employers and political affiliations, do you have any reason to say why not? I know how I feel on it and why, but I would like you to get over that shyness and tell us about your own reasoning. It would likely go a long way to helping me understand your points.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

What, no.

They didn't?

So they shouldn't release the names of who voted for whom despite it saying so? Or are you just trying to pretend laws don't exist.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

thechosenone posted:

Why would you say they cannot have any privacy except where I say they can? I only seem to want to know what they vote for? What else do you think I want?

But you're not acknowledging any right to privacy on their part, just that you'll let them have some. Just like your boss demanding to know who you voted for isn't a total invasion of your privacy.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

shall be open to the public, not made public to those in the room.

"All meetings of the Democratic National Committee, the Executive Committee, and all other official Party committees, commissions and bodies shall be open to the public, and votes shall not be taken by secret ballot. "

how can you possibly get your reading out of that?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
The ballots weren't secret, they had names on them. That doesn't mean the DNC is obligated to share that information with everyone. A ballot which identifies the voter is not a secret ballot. Nothing has changed here. This is just another Bernout fever dream of persecution.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

No, they had a vote on paper. The ballots were signed and verified.

Are you seriously arguing that a meeting counts as being open to the public as long as they tell the members of the meeting what the vote count was and nobody else?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Crowsbeak posted:

So they shouldn't release the names of who voted for whom despite it saying so? Or are you just trying to pretend laws don't exist.

The bylaw does not say that?

Cerebral Bore posted:

Are you seriously arguing that a meeting counts as being open to the public as long as they tell the members of the meeting and nobody else?

The meeting was open to the public? Like I don't think you seem to have a very good grasp of what an "open meeting" is from this post.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Frijolero posted:

I'd love it if you shut up for a bit so we can discuss the (D) and DNC.

Honest question: Why are you obsessed with criticizing Bernie?

Don't you have actual Democratic Party leaders to talk about? Shouldn't you be worried about the 2018 election, which is practically happening tomorrow?

What message is your political guild going to put out to assure a win in 2018? What strategies have you developed to get more working class votes?

I believe that letting you fuckers say poo poo like "political guild" without objecting is tantamount to suicide.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

What, no.

They didn't?

No why? It seems that without people who support them in the public arena, those who are against the establishment are vulnerable to reprimand by those who are closer to them.

Brainiac Five posted:

But you're not acknowledging any right to privacy on their part, just that you'll let them have some. Just like your boss demanding to know who you voted for isn't a total invasion of your privacy.

Alright, what privacy should they have? Besides the votes we want to see that is. I am amenable to other privacies.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
People whose jobs are to be aprt of a political process, lose their right to privacy when it comes to be about being involved in the political process

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The bylaw does not say that?

The meeting was open to the public?

"article 9 section 12: "All meetings of the Democratic National Committee, the Executive Committee, and all other official Party committees, commissions and bodies shall be open to the public, and votes shall not be taken by secret ballot." "

Yeah actually according to this I do have the right to know. Stop lying to me.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

thechosenone posted:

As far as employers and political affiliations, do you have any reason to say why not? I know how I feel on it and why, but I would like you to get over that shyness and tell us about your own reasoning. It would likely go a long way to helping me understand your points.

I asked you, I didn't say "I want to hear some clumsy rhetorical dodges away from a simple question."

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

I believe that letting you fuckers say poo poo like "political guild" without objecting is tantamount to suicide.

Not really. People aren't mad at you for the failures of the democratic party. Heck, if anyone gets put against the wall, you'll be able to fit in with the mob real easy.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

I asked you, I didn't say "I want to hear some clumsy rhetorical dodges away from a simple question."

Sure, I think they should. Why not? You've yet to provide anything convincing, so I imagine your reluctance to give reason to your assertions will make difficult the task of explaining why I am wrong.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

thechosenone posted:

No why? It seems that without people who support them in the public arena, those who are against the establishment are vulnerable to reprimand by those who are closer to them.

Not really, no. The ballots weren't secret, but they weren't by voice or show of hand.

Crowsbeak posted:

People whose jobs are to be aprt of a political process, lose their right to privacy when it comes to be about being involved in the political process

"article 9 section 12: "All meetings of the Democratic National Committee, the Executive Committee, and all other official Party committees, commissions and bodies shall be open to the public, and votes shall not be taken by secret ballot." "

Yeah actually according to this I do have the right to know. Stop lying to me.

It's not my fault you're incapable of reading? The meeting was open tot he public. The ballots weren't secret. They were loving signed. Again, sorry you're literally incapable of reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Cerebral Bore posted:

Are you seriously arguing that a meeting counts as being open to the public as long as they tell the members of the meeting what the vote count was and nobody else?

You're conflating two unrelated sections of the bylaw. Secret ballots don't have anything to do with whether or not the ballots are made available for public inspection. Whether or not the meeting is open to the public has nothing to do with publicizing the votes made at that meeting.

• Locked thread