Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
https://twitter.com/LootCritter/status/1296621553459687424

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Counterpoint: The KDF one looks fuckin cool.

It actually gets its own hull material and windows which is pretty goddamn rare for a ship in 2020. They're recolors of the new Vor'cha hull and the K't'inga windows which are both good.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

For some terrible reason I started to play this game again. I have no idea what I'm doing anymore.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

bij posted:

Counterpoint: The KDF one looks fuckin cool.

It actually gets its own hull material and windows which is pretty goddamn rare for a ship in 2020. They're recolors of the new Vor'cha hull and the K't'inga windows which are both good.
Buy the rom or jem'hadar one (they're cross faction). Fly them long enough to unlock the trait and grab the console. Then use free rep fleet tokens to grab the fleet one that you want to fly anyway. Or buy fleet modules to get it, it's still cheaper than buying the whole 4-pack unless you were planning to run these carriers on all your alts.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

You don't get skin unlocks for the KDF or Fed ships if you buy them as fleet. I don't think the JEM/ROM ones count for ownership on the KDF/Fed skin unlocks either.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

For some reason that dude has me blocked on twitter and I'm not sure why.

The embedded tweet works, though, and :stare: maybe I'm glad I don't get to see the inner workings of a mind that consciously habitually gives Cryptic that much money monthly.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ayrsayle posted:

I got my nephew interested in the game last week.

Everything in the bank is free game. It could use a good clean out. Tell him to go nuts.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

The embedded tweet works, though, and :stare: maybe I'm glad I don't get to see the inner workings of a mind that consciously habitually gives Cryptic that much money monthly.

LootCritter is a very on-point name for someone whom game devs beat with sticks and watch money come out.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Yeah I think Lootcritter told me probably 4-5 years ago that he was spending $600 a month on STO and I just

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

There’s worse games to whale, not that any whaling isn’t shameful.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I just don't get what the gently caress kind of pleasure people get out of whaling something like this.

It's not even like having all those ships does anything fundamentally that having the basic bitch stuff doesn't. I say this as someone who ground enough dill to get the legendary fed T6 pack and recognizes how stupid OP some of those are.

gently caress, $600/month would buy you a brand new gaming console and two brand new games every month. There is no way someone is getting more enjoyment out of STO than they would out of two brand new AAA games plus lighting a console on fire at the end of the month for shits and giggles.

edit: and that's assuming you have to spend it on games instead of hookers and blow or whatever else does it for you.

gently caress. whales need a drug habit. If nothing else it's a more dignified vice.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

more money than zens

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I'm not sure how the gently caress you can even spend hundreds of dollars on this game per month. Let's say there's a new gamble box, which okay fine, gambling addicts can blow a few hundred on one of those. But then you eventually get your boat and... then what? Gamble for more? To sell for energy credits that you spend on... what? It'd take one or two lockbox ships tops to cap a character's credit limit, and the only other thing worth spending EC on is other boats (or maybe the rare cosmetic shield or something). And then it's another four-odd months until the next gamble box. Are they buying dilithium to upgrade stuff? Don't they run out of inventory eventually? It's just... how? :psyduck:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Completionist collectors, probably have a bank with ships arranged in order of release.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

gently caress. whales need a drug habit. If nothing else it's a more dignified vice.

Being a whale IS the drug habit. Didn't one of the retiring CMs leak that one of STO's biggest whales was some low-income single mom in Tennessee or some poo poo?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Asimo posted:

I'm not sure how the gently caress you can even spend hundreds of dollars on this game per month.

In his case I think it was mostly being converted to dil to power-level a fleet.

I also suspect that money is going to Star Citizen now so the lesson is, I guess, STO should have made cooler digital ships.

I could be wrong about those things, though.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Mondian posted:

Being a whale IS the drug habit. Didn't one of the retiring CMs leak that one of STO's biggest whales was some low-income single mom in Tennessee or some poo poo?

ugh. i hate reading that poo poo.

P2P whaling is so predatory it makes my skin crawl in ways that a lot equally predatory poo poo doesn't.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I assume there's some way to directly convert cash into high-tier weapons, isn't there?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Directly? Nah.

Indirectly? You can turn cash money into keys or whatever (to sell for credits to buy weapons) and dilithium (to convert into phoenix boxes for phoenix upgrades to make your purchases XV gold) but that's a massive waste of money. Won't stop a real whale though.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Honestly the lockbox mechanic seems like a complete waste of time to interact with unless you need Lobi. I'm sure not buying keys.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Honestly the lockbox mechanic seems like a complete waste of time to interact with unless you need Lobi. I'm sure not buying keys.
The way to interact with the lockbox mechanic, is to first decide that you really don't need a lockbox ship, and definitely don't need all of them. Then, when a new lockbox releases, wait until the first weekend, and go buy all the other stuff off the exchange. That's usually enough time for the initial rush to die off, but before most people have figured out the really good stuff in the box and it's started to get scarce. It works out much cheaper that way.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I have a number of master keys and I don't know why. Pondering if I want to drop them on the market or get whatever box has the best items are just go fukkit.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

They've given some away now and then in events, as part of shop bundles, and whatever even if it's not too common. You're almost certainly better off selling the keys and just buying what you want, though I guess gambling on infinity boxes isn't horrible if you're prepared for getting a bunch of worthless boosts and kits.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

This is 100% the correct take. What kind of high end weapons were you looking for?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Taerkar posted:

I have a number of master keys and I don't know why. Pondering if I want to drop them on the market or get whatever box has the best items are just go fukkit.
Unless they're account-bound, you should sell them for ec. If they're bound, infinity boxes are probably your best bet. Even the lower level stuff like console/modules/traits/etc. often have something decent in the infinity ones. The boosts/R&D mats/kit frames really are junk, though.

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

Anyone need any lockbox weapons? I still have tons of Infinity Weapon packs.
https://sto.gamepedia.com/Infinity_Prize_Pack:_Weapon_Pack

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

I loved Lexx! It's all starting to make sense now!

oh god, I'm Stanley Tweedle aren't I?

I was briefly tempted to roll a Tweedle, myself.

Nemins
Oct 27, 2005

Rx King posted:

Anyone need any lockbox weapons? I still have tons of Infinity Weapon packs.
https://sto.gamepedia.com/Infinity_Prize_Pack:_Weapon_Pack

I’ll take some, I’d be good with the ferengi plasma or any other random ones foner@nemins2

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
I already took some, I don't want to look greedy infront of the goons

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I got some Ba'ul antiproton DBBs from some kind goons so I am good!

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
Is the wiki in OP down? No idea why, but I've started playing this. Think I should move the game to SSD, thing is load city. Do you have to be the same alliance to join a fleet? Is SFD still going?

bluegoon fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Aug 23, 2020

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

bluegoon posted:

Is the wiki in OP down? No idea why, but I've started playing this. Think I should move the game to SSD, thing is load city. Do you have to be the same alliance to join a fleet? Is SFD still going?
TL;DR: the wiki's been superseded by r/stobuilds; there's still Starfleet Dental for FED and Nerds of Prey for KDF but I'm not aware of anyone being on with consistency to run those fleets as opposed to "goons in whatever fleets".

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ugh, reddit is so hard to read.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm still annoyed that you can't get a lukari vanity shield that gives your ship rainbow neon.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

bluegoon posted:

Post your char/account name in the thread, someone will invite you to the goon chat channel. In there, ask to join a fleet and if anyone is on they'll add you to the fleet. The chat channel isn't super active, though there have been more people on lately than usual.

For build advice, either go to reddit's stobuilds, or the DPS league guides page https://www.sto-league.com/guides/

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

bluegoon posted:

Think I should move the game to SSD, thing is load city.

Turn off on-demand patching in the launcher and download the whole game at once instead of downloading each mission as you're warping into the system if the loads are bothering you

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Was looking over my stuff on my original dude, boffs, inventory, etc--I seem to have a purple quality romulan tac boff with the Superior Romulan Operative trait, and I don't have a drat clue how I got that, as a Fed. Was there a special thing some time ago, or a way to upgrade boff quality?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Purple I have no idea, if you're regular Fed you're only supposed to be able to get a blue through the Fleet Embassy, as the purples instead have Superior Subterfuge.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Trebuchet King posted:

Was looking over my stuff on my original dude, boffs, inventory, etc--I seem to have a purple quality romulan tac boff with the Superior Romulan Operative trait, and I don't have a drat clue how I got that, as a Fed. Was there a special thing some time ago, or a way to upgrade boff quality?
You're a plain old Fed, not a FedRom? No idea, that shouldn't happen. Sucks that it's a tac boff, since those are the only ones you can get anyway. A sci or eng boff with SRO would have been something exciting on a fed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Trebuchet King posted:

Was it something you got from the fleet embassy? I don't remember the specific traits but it sells romulans.