Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Keyser_Soze posted:

Turbo cars are amazing at real altitude, you feel no loss at all.

I start to notice some difference around like 9k feet, but yeah, turbos and altitude go together very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Meh, just use a variable compression ratio engine :colbert:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
a bunch of new engines are moving to dual mode injection so you don't really have to worry about intake cleaning as much

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

a bunch of new engines are moving to dual mode injection so you don't really have to worry about intake cleaning as much

Yeah, but they're also being wired so hot, whoever is tracking these things will know if you're not wearing your seatelt.

And by that, i mean the ECU's are encrypted, and lock everything down if you don't have the tail-light module plugged in.

20 year old computer junk is going to suck.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah I get that and it's great it's happening but what about all the cars in between? Your basic used car buyer isn't going to know squat about that and get hosed in the long run when their supposed fuel efficient car isn't so efficient anymore. I should buy stock in walnuts :v:

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Previa_fun posted:

I'm a huge Mazda fanboy/apologist but tbh Mazda just makes cars for automotive journalists to wank off to anymore.

And they're right.

What can I say, I just bought a Mazda3 hatch to commute in and it’s great. By just about every measure that matters to me it is comparable to my current-gen Mercedes C300

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Case in point, the new v6 Tacoma, which is based on proven Lexus engines from the past 4+ years.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

stevobob posted:

Case in point, the new v6 Tacoma, which is based on proven Lexus engines from the past 4+ years.

This marks the first time I've heard a Tacoma referenced as having anything 'new'. I thought the tundra, sequoia, tacoma, and 4runner are all dinosaurs comparatively speaking.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

BloodBag posted:

This marks the first time I've heard a Tacoma referenced as having anything 'new'. I thought the tundra, sequoia, tacoma, and 4runner are all dinosaurs comparatively speaking.

If dinos were unkillable, sure.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

BloodBag posted:

In my experience, the EB is slower than the 5.0 in the real world. Most people must run regular instead of premium in theirs because in both online reviews and in real life, my 5.0 is faster from a stop. In addition the 5.0 gets better fuel economy while towing as well as better reliability. The EB has problems with the turbos failing, the studs failing, and the throttle bodies failing. This is my third ford and they all have idiotic problems from the factory, I'm not sure I'd trust ford to do a turbo setup that's reliable and long-lasting. The only failure I've seen on a 5.0 is the timing chain eating through the cover at 200k miles, something even the 22R does.

I gotta admit, I ran plus unleaded (89) for the first half-tank because I wasn't sure if it took anything less. After looking over the owners manual for a bit, I ran regular for the rest of the time.

I didn't know the EB had so many issues, but it seems no one knows how to build a reliable turbo motor. Even Honda had issues with their first turbo'd engines, AFAIK.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

LeeMajors posted:

If dinos were unkillable, sure.

Dinosaurs are actually still around and highly successful in their niche so I guess calling them dinosaurs still works?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

BloodBag posted:

The 2016+ Tacoma is entirely new everything. I think maybe the manual transmission is a holdover?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

I didn't know the EB had so many issues, but it seems no one knows how to build a reliable turbo motor. Even Honda had issues with their first turbo'd engines, AFAIK.

idk if these issues were that serious they'd be much more well-known since the EcoBoosts are the volume engine in America's best-selling vehicle

Turbos are fine, direction injection is fine, but combining these two into a small 4-cylinder is where the issues start popping up. Off the top of my head: Honda, GM, Hyundai, VW, Ford have all had issues rolling out a new 2-litre turbo motor. That's not to say the issues can be worked out; IIRC the sunroof is far more of a problem point than the engine in the Mk7 GTI

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Godzilla07 posted:

idk if these issues were that serious they'd be much more well-known since the EcoBoosts are the volume engine in America's best-selling vehicle

Turbos are fine, direction injection is fine, but combining these two into a small 4-cylinder is where the issues start popping up. Off the top of my head: Honda, GM, Hyundai, VW, Ford have all had issues rolling out a new 2-litre turbo motor. That's not to say the issues can be worked out; IIRC the sunroof is far more of a problem point than the engine in the Mk7 GTI

No there are dozens of clearly documented cases from online ecoboost forums where toot is explode and studs fail and they definitely definitely weren’t running a tune at all no SIR!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:siren: Fiat-Chrysler merging with PSA confirmed :siren:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50246329

I don't really see this leading to any new cars I like but that's pretty big deal regardless.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Somebody start writing the jokes.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The combined reliability of Chrysler, Fiat and Peugeot...

If I were an ASE certified mechanic I'd be window shopping Bentleys right now.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Considering Opel/Vauxhall was bought by PSA, that covers all the manufacturers I most associate with rental cars in Europe. At least they can reduce competition between each others for fleet sales.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There's still Škoda.

Speaking of which, apparently VAG management wanted to bring the brand downmarket to compete with Dacia and they, obviously suffering from delusion of grandeur, got pretty mad about it. Although to be fair, I'm not seeing as many Dacias around as you'd expect giving the price level, so there's probably not a huge untapped market for crappy new cars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the problem with the Dacia end of the market is that you're competing primarily with used vehicles in established auto markets and since cars are very reliable and last a long time now, there's not really a compelling reason to buy a Logan over say a three or five year old Fiesta/Corsa/Polo/208.

The PSA-FCA merger makes a ton of sense. FCA gets better access to new platforms and tech. PSA gets access to the US market with an established dealer channel.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Keyser_Soze posted:

Turbo cars are amazing at real altitude, you feel no loss at all.

Their unreliability is also exaggerated, I think.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Frond posted:

people got PTSD from Saabs and the like

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Dinosaurs are actually still around and highly successful in their niche so I guess calling them dinosaurs still works?

Touché. It even refined the metaphor. Haha.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 31, 2019

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Frond posted:

Early turbos were pretty bad in a lot of ways and gave them a bad reputation. They were often just strapped onto an engine for "free horsepower" without much further consideration.

Modern turbo engines have been designed with turbocharging in mind and work much better. Turbos themselves are better and more reliable, engine blocks and heads are beefier where it matters, and there are better electronic controls over all of it.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Godzilla07 posted:

To be fair Hyundai/Kia's non turbo I4's also die to the same manufacturing flaw at similar rates. Their unreliability has little to do with being force fed.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Frond posted:

Tell that to Honda, there's going to be a lot of poo poo motors out there the more miles that are put on them.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
When people say "early turbos" what years are we talking about here

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

KakerMix posted:

I assume early 1980s, back when epic boost also came with equally epic levels of lag.

The boost in my dearly departed 760 Turbo came on in a distinctly ON/OFF fashion, whereas today's turbo'ed mills are much smoother and get better gas mileage, to boot.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ford has made millions, probably tens of millions of EcoBoost engines. Does anyone have actual hard data on their failure rate?

Properly taken care of, I'd expect them to run to 150K without any major issues. My SHO has 71K miles on it and runs like a champ. It's dealer serviced every 5K though.

Yeah there's going to be engines with issues, but is there any sort of data showing a bad batch, or a very common failure once it hits certain mileage? We're not talking Subaru Head gasket or Nissan QR25DE pre cat detonation levels of failure here. (Shoutout to the Sentra Spec-V I had when I was younger)

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
This merger is bothering me, I can't figure out what's in it for FCA. PSA gets an EV partner to foot the bill for them and access to the US market with a broad, established dealer network. What exactly does FCA get? Plus, you just know Dodge and Chrysler are going to pay the price for Ram/Jeep having to wet nurse all these worthless European brands.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

KakerMix posted:

Late 1970s, probably. Early Turbo cars were pretty raw.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Q_res posted:

This merger is bothering me, I can't figure out what's in it for FCA. PSA gets an EV partner to foot the bill for them and access to the US market with a broad, established dealer network. What exactly does FCA get? Plus, you just know Dodge and Chrysler are going to pay the price for Ram/Jeep having to wet nurse all these worthless European brands.

new platform architecture, most of FCA's poo poo is really old. new platform architecture gives the ability to meet upcoming emissions requirements without sinking nine figures in to platform R&D and also the ability to actually make new FIAT product. keep in mind that the Renegade/Cherokee are quite successful but require platform replacement soon. plus better hybrid / ev tech.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The most important part of the merger is that it sets the stage for the PT Cruiser's rebirth.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

Tekne posted:

The most important part of the merger is that it sets the stage for the PT Cruiser's rebirth.

I’m fine with this as long as they bring back the dodge magnum too. Can they cram a hellcat motor in the new 508 wagon?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Q_res posted:

Access to modern architectures, an EV platform that exists. They’re not bringing all the PSA cars to the US anymore than they’re going to start selling giant Ram trucks in Europe.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

drgitlin posted:

Access to modern architectures, an EV platform that exists. They’re not bringing all the PSA cars to the US anymore than they’re going to start selling giant Ram trucks in Europe.
Devour tiny European streets in your RAM TREX.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KakerMix posted:

My 03 WRX?
edit: was not reliable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

drgitlin posted:

they're definitely still planning to launch Peugeot brand in the US, though

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

mobby_6kl posted:

There's still Škoda.

Speaking of which, apparently VAG management wanted to bring the brand downmarket to compete with Dacia and they, obviously suffering from delusion of grandeur, got pretty mad about it. Although to be fair, I'm not seeing as many Dacias around as you'd expect giving the price level, so there's probably not a huge untapped market for crappy new cars.

I still don't get how the VW, Skoda and Seat brands are supposed to be positioned - especially with their crossovers which are all so similar in price and size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

VW - high tech, high feature brand
Skoda - entry-level, lower cost, smaller engines, less features
SEAT - sporty

it's kind of gotten hosed up because every brand is run independently so they all step on each other's toes to a degree, but this is still fairly deliniated. If you want a MQB SUV, you decide if you want the normal one (VW), the budget one (Skoda), or you have pretensions of sportiness (SEAT).