Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

I also had a sordid history of downloading music illegally at that point, but the first rap album I ever bought was King Fantastic's Finger Snaps and Gun Claps back in 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

If someone wasn't downloading music back then I'd call them crazy. It used to be so easy.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
i think my first rap cds (that weren't kris kross) were illadelph halflife and flesh of my flesh, blood of my blood

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

lil pump's self title

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Will Smith, Lost and Found

i wish i was kidding

edit: also that Linkin Park/Jay-Z mashup album

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

D34THROW posted:

This brings up something I've noticed in contemporary rap music. It seems like rappers these days are trying to sing as much as they talk. I think that's what I like about early '90s poo poo is that they're more talking than singing. Is it just me?

Nah, it's largely true. For a long time there was a big tension between rap and rnb/pop. Eventually through the late 90's and into the 2000's you started getting a lot more of a blend of the two. Now you see them really blended, especially because that's what's traditionally sold better. That said there's definitely still dudes who operate in a rappity-rap only mode still. Qualitatively which is better is a whole different subject, but I'd say that there's great examples of both styles.

Also are you planning on going through any other older rap stuff? I'm always interested how people who haven't been exposed to it previously would feel about it, without that background of having listened to it and possible nostalgia coloring things. Like my first album I can recall getting was a compilation tape called "fresh rap" that had EPMD, Slick Rick, NWA, DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince and a few others I don't remember. So basically I grew up listening to late 80's/early 90's stuff and that's been my primary listening since then. And I guess I was at home, but the first place I actually brought stuff myself vs. having them given to me or sharing with friends was a corner store that sold bootlegs 3 for $10.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 18, 2020

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Actually looked up a few dates. Another Slim Shady LP checking in, then a kid in my class burned me 2001, followed by and then there was X. But honestly I would give full credit to Sir Lucious Left Foot for opening my eyes and beginning my education.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

So what's your most listened to rap album ever? For me Snoops debute album Doggystyle, I listened to that album for months after months on a daily base as a sweaty teenager. Wu's 36 Chambers is a good but pretty far behind second.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

Klaaz posted:

So what's your most listened to rap album ever? For me Snoops debute album Doggystyle, I listened to that album for months after months on a daily base as a sweaty teenager. Wu's 36 Chambers is a good but pretty far behind second.

I think it's still Bigger and Deffer

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009
ATCQ Love movement is mine followed closely by 2001

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Jeezy - The Recession or Joe Budden - All Love Lost

If mixtapes count gotta put in Da Drought 3, Trap Or Die 2, and Drought Is Over 2 and 5 (OG Carter 3 Leak).

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Most listened to?

Either Blueprint or Reasonable Doubt.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Klaaz posted:

Midnight Marauders by ATCQ by a looooong shot, then probably 36 Chambers

maybe Black Star's self titled as second

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Klaaz posted:

Get rich or die trying
College Dropout
Late Registration
MBDTF
The Cool

One of those 5

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

^burtle posted:

then a kid in my class burned me 2001, followed by and then there was X. We

Tell me you had the one kid who was hustling HARD at slinging bootleg CDs on your playground

I want there to be an instance of that kid at every middle school. Thank you, Preston, for showing me the light of Kanye and Snoop

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Dead prez - Let’s get free and/or Big Pun - capital punishment are my most listened to all time. Probably aquemini and liquid swords as runners up.

e; I’m dumb and completely forgot When the Smoke Clears, it’s probably #1

Robert Analog fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 18, 2020

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

alansmithee posted:

Also are you planning on going through any other older rap stuff? I'm always interested how people who haven't been exposed to it previously would feel about it, without that background of having listened to it and possible nostalgia coloring things. Like my first album I can recall getting was a compilation tape called "fresh rap" that had EPMD, Slick Rick, NWA, DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince and a few others I don't remember. So basically I grew up listening to late 80's/early 90's stuff and that's been my primary listening since then. And I guess I was at home, but the first place I actually brought stuff myself vs. having them given to me or sharing with friends was a corner store that sold bootlegs 3 for $10.

for anyone who's getting into the older stuff, or anyone who just appreciates revisiting the classics, the rub's history of hiphop mixes are great:

http://www.itstherub.com/category/history-of-hip-hop/

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Johnny Truant posted:

Tell me you had the one kid who was hustling HARD at slinging bootleg CDs on your playground

I want there to be an instance of that kid at every middle school. Thank you, Preston, for showing me the light of Kanye and Snoop

This was me, I made decent cash flipping 50 cent and G-Unit mixtapes that i grabbed off IRC after Get Rich or Die Trying blew up. Would also take requests for any other albums to download and charge 1$ extra

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Klaaz posted:

It's Dark and Hell is Hot
Get Rich or Die Trying
Ruff Ryders Vol 1
Life after Death
The Score
Capital Punishment

The clear #1 is Life after Death by a LOT
#2 is probably Ruff Ryders Vol 1, but It's Dark and Hell is Hot comes real close to second place

Johnny Truant posted:

Yea and that kid got his locker raided by the Feds, but we still had a super underground cd exchange circuit. We made mixtapes of our favorite tracks (this is before Clue mixtapes became the standard)

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Most listened to album: Madvillian or Fantastic, vol 2

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
I think the first rap album I properly owned was The Blueprint which was given to me by an 8th grade sort-of-but-not-really girlfriend, but the first full album I remember listening was my brother's copy of All Eyez on Me.

Most listened to is probably 2001, Get Rich or Die Trying, Eminem Show, or that one mixtape I made with all the Bone Thugs tracks with gunshots in the beat. Or for the last decade-ish, MBDTF or POS's Never Better.

SchwarzeKrieg fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 18, 2020

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yuzenn posted:

Yea and that kid got his locker raided by the Feds, but we still had a super underground cd exchange circuit.

goddamn how many CDs was that kid moving? haha

bows1 posted:

This was me, I made decent cash flipping 50 cent and G-Unit mixtapes that i grabbed off IRC after Get Rich or Die Trying blew up. Would also take requests for any other albums to download and charge 1$ extra

I salute you for your service

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

kittenmittons posted:

Where were y'all when you got your first rap album.

Nature's Paradise by Naughty by Nature, local mall.

"Feel me Flow" is a jam.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Midnight Marauders
GKMC
Live love asap
Marshall Mathers lp
Illmatic

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I have no idea what I've listened to the most. Probably one of these

De La Soul is Dead
De La Soul Stakes Is High
Beastie Boys Paul's Boutique
The Roots Things Fall Apart

highme fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 19, 2020

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Yuzenn posted:

It's Dark and Hell is Hot
Get Rich or Die Trying
Ruff Ryders Vol 1
Life after Death
The Score
Capital Punishment

:discourse:

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Klaaz posted:

Ridin Dirty

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Man seeing people mention Illadelph Halflife and Things Fall Apart makes me disappointed how hard The Roots quality dropped. I still think Questlove thought (or knew) they peaked with their old sound on Things Fall Apart and switched up entirely for Phrenology. Tipping Point and Game Theory probably have Black Thought's best rapping (and was around the time he was getting a lot more notice) but are also really kinda indistinguishable and Rising Down was kinda just Game Theory 2.0 (although qualitatively it was more like 0.8). And everything after that was full on adult contemporary. There was something just intensely soulful about their early stuff that they really seemed to lose touch with.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

D34THROW posted:

This brings up something I've noticed in contemporary rap music. It seems like rappers these days are trying to sing as much as they talk. I think that's what I like about early '90s poo poo is that they're more talking than singing. Is it just me?

They were actually rapping

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

alansmithee posted:

Man seeing people mention Illadelph Halflife and Things Fall Apart makes me disappointed how hard The Roots quality dropped. I still think Questlove thought (or knew) they peaked with their old sound on Things Fall Apart and switched up entirely for Phrenology. Tipping Point and Game Theory probably have Black Thought's best rapping (and was around the time he was getting a lot more notice) but are also really kinda indistinguishable and Rising Down was kinda just Game Theory 2.0 (although qualitatively it was more like 0.8). And everything after that was full on adult contemporary. There was something just intensely soulful about their early stuff that they really seemed to lose touch with.

I think undun is among their very best and How I Got Over is solid, while some of their early material is really boring to me. ATYSYC was more experimental but didn’t work at all.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Whoa wasn't this guy just breaking out?
https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1230136740809146368?s=19

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

He was. Dude was 20. Man what the gently caress. rip pop smoke

This is so sad

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What the fuuuuck

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
drat I forgot about Capital Punishment, loved that album

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Johnny Truant posted:

goddamn how many CDs was that kid moving? haha

I salute you for your service

A LOT

We had the only old school record store in the town close down so this dude was moving everything from mixtapes to albums (of all genres too, dude was bootlegging Bush and Green Day and poo poo)

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
shame about pop smoke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlRxTNDh4A4

Robert Analog fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 19, 2020

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
RIP Pop Smoke even though id never heard of him.

Also Bone Thugs N Harmony have changed their name to Boneless Thugs and Harmony to promote BWW’s new boneless wings...

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

bows1 posted:

RIP Pop Smoke even though id never heard of him.

Also Bone Thugs N Harmony have changed their name to Boneless Thugs and Harmony to promote BWW’s new boneless wings...
lmao
https://twitter.com/bwwings/status/1230145886157668358?s=21
gently caress it get paid

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Cross-post from the Goon Music Thread. I put out two new tracks recently and wanted to share them here because some people enjoyed my other stuff.

Came across an old track that my rapper friend and I had worked on nearly a year ago and decided it deserved to be released even though we never "finished" it. Some of you may recognize the sample I used. Interestingly, I did a sample flip challenge this last week and the sample that got selected was the same one I used for this track "Criminology". Had to get creative to try and flip it again but I think it turned out really cool and definitely different than Criminology. Let me know what you think!

Criminology ft. KingOsiris
https://soundcloud.com/bradwisebeats/criminology-ft-kingosiris

One More Time (Sample Flip Challenge)
https://soundcloud.com/bradwisebeats/one-more-time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Sounds good, very professional. What was the sample?