Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Who the hell is the guy next to Gang Orca with the hosed up mouth? I thought it was Hound Dog at first glance but that's... not what Hound Dog looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it’s either an original character or Hound Dog got out his Halloween muzzle for this game

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

He's a background hero we've seen occasionally. Ojiro interned with him before the war I believe. I think he might also be a reused character from one of Horikoshi's previous mangas?

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

CuwiKhons posted:

Who the hell is the guy next to Gang Orca with the hosed up mouth? I thought it was Hound Dog at first glance but that's... not what Hound Dog looks like.

The #13 Pro-Hero, apparently.
https://myheroacademia.fandom.com/wiki/Shishido

Rhonne posted:

I think he might also be a reused character from one of Horikoshi's previous mangas?

You're correct, it seems.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ball Might.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I thought he looked familiar enough to be someone we'd seen before, I just couldn't place him. Because this manga has a bajillion loving characters and I can't keep track of all of them. Thanks, that was really bugging me.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 12, 2022

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/2273/my-hero-academia-chapter-352

Behold the power of Cold Fire

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Vigilantes is about to end, unsurprisingly
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1525129789136306183?t=NQ_JWEPuBkeEfWxBpXQyDQ&s=19

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Still hoping for an anime adaption one day even though some elements of Vigilantes might not be entirely appropriate to show on the same network as MHA (maybe they could put it on a streaming service or something)

It would also be nice if some of the characters made an appearance in MHA proper before the end but I’m not holding my breath on that

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

I guess it's the translation but I didn't understand anything that happened in this chapter. What did Burnin' do? What does the "Cold Fire" do, and how is it different from Todoroki's old ice powers? How is Todoroki circulating cold and hot throughout him to achieve normal body temperature equilibrium different from other people just having that naturally? Hasn't Todoroki already been using his fire to heat him up after/during freezing stuff for ages?

Why are we having constant flashbacks anyway? I really don't think structuring this arc like this was a good idea.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Staltran posted:

I guess it's the translation but I didn't understand anything that happened in this chapter. What did Burnin' do? What does the "Cold Fire" do, and how is it different from Todoroki's old ice powers? How is Todoroki circulating cold and hot throughout him to achieve normal body temperature equilibrium different from other people just having that naturally? Hasn't Todoroki already been using his fire to heat him up after/during freezing stuff for ages?

Why are we having constant flashbacks anyway? I really don't think structuring this arc like this was a good idea.

tbf flashbacks happening in the middle of fights is like as stock shonen as you can get. so many series do that

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, but MHA has always been kind of bad about overdrawn effects in its fight scenes making them unreadable. I definitely understand that complaint, I kind of glossed over most of this chapter because I just physically didn't want to look at it.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

Staltran posted:

Instead of using his cold half to cool his body and create a hotter flame like endeavor wanted, he’s using his hot half to heat his body and create a colder ice. In doing so he can create an icy hug to envelope his mass-murdering-scrap-of-burnt-flesh brother and uh, neutralize his fire or something? It’s really hard to follow what is actually going on but that’s the gist I got from it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New Vigilantes:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-vigilantes-chapter-125/chapter/24567?action=read

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ha, great actual hero name and a star wars reference all in one.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

YEAH, LET'S GO SKYCRAWLER!

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Person Dyslexic posted:

Instead of using his cold half to cool his body and create a hotter flame like endeavor wanted, he’s using his hot half to heat his body and create a colder ice. In doing so he can create an icy hug to envelope his mass-murdering-scrap-of-burnt-flesh brother and uh, neutralize his fire or something? It’s really hard to follow what is actually going on but that’s the gist I got from it.

Shoto is Refrigerator Man!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hot drat that’s a good hero name

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
as for the main series sometimes I feel like the fights are too abrupt but then you get stuff like that fight with six in vigilantes and I'm like "okay two chapters is fine"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mmm Skycrullers

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fabricated posted:

as for the main series sometimes I feel like the fights are too abrupt but then you get stuff like that fight with six in vigilantes and I'm like "okay two chapters is fine"

Id rather have one longer fight with thw weight and character of the last bit in Vigilantes than basically every single conflict that's happened since the war in main comic.

Also Koichi go home and smooch that goblin of a lady right now you doofus

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Based on the announcement the next Vigilantes chapter should be the last one, glad to see our boy has finally gotten Hero status at least (good name too)

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
main series: That was super abrupt and anticlimactic and also borderline incomprehensible? I don’t think it’d be better if the fight kept going so let’s just move on

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Vigis: Skycrawler is pretty great!

Main:

Person Dyslexic posted:

I could have sworn he's been doing that (using his fire half to heat himself while freezing stuff so he doesn't get hypothermia/frostbite/whatever) for a good while already. Maybe I just don't get what the new thing is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

Based on the announcement the next Vigilantes chapter should be the last one, glad to see our boy has finally gotten Hero status at least (good name too)

Yeah that is an excellent hero name.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Should have been Skywalker

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
main series: Shoto's powers are awful for shounen fights because him landing a hit should mean its over. His opponent having the same problem doesn't help at all. I've often felt he is the weakest link in the whole Todoroki subplot and this just kind of reinforces it. Dude's boring, and his fights are extra boring.

I'd really much rather see what Deku, Bakugo, or Ochako are doing right now.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

With the ending of Vigilantes I occasionally felt a pang of fatigue.

Contrast this with the main series where I can't feel anything at all.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

My mans about to skycrawl all the way back to Japans

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Oxxidation posted:

hot drat that’s a good hero name

Rise of Skycrawler.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Rise of Skycrawler.

Great, now I hate it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Rise of Skycrawler.

you ruined it. you ruined it and I’m going home

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

MHA: I think it's likely just the scanning making this fight hard to grasp. Fire effects are always going to be busy on the page and theres so much of it here. The official scans will likely be clearer. Also I wouldn't count on the fight being over completely yet.

Viglantes: Great Hero name and a good way to leave the series on while getting Koichi out of the way for the main series, but maybe free to pop-in at the end?

Unless "Vigilantes" is only finishing so that MHA: USA edition can start up! :imunfunny:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There’s still one more Vigilantes chapter left as I said but yeah. That said, I wouldn’t mind a sequel or seeing some of the characters pop up in the main manga though.

Also as someone else mentioned, go home and kiss your girlfriend Koichi

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 13, 2022

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

More mangas need stories that deal with side characters away from whatever nonsense the main character gets into

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-352/chapter/24348?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013059

I don't think there's anything wrong with flashbacks here. They generally work in the manga format.

It will, however, completely ruin the pacing of the anime adaptation, but we won't be allowed to complain, because that's how it went in the manga.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Even with the official translation I can barely parse what's happening in this chapter and I still don't really get what icyhot's new move is supposed to even be or how "cold fire" is supposed to be the natural counter to "hot fire".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kanos posted:

Even with the official translation I can barely parse what's happening in this chapter and I still don't really get what icyhot's new move is supposed to even be or how "cold fire" is supposed to be the natural counter to "hot fire".
The idea seems to be some kind of thermal absorber so he's kind of soaking up Dabi's fire. Basically instead of using cold to allow himself to get even hotter, he's using heat to let himself get even colder, like a gas-powered refrigerator.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kanos posted:

It's not so much "cold fire" as it is "using fire to self-regulate body temperature so he can conjure entire glaciers". It's the opposite of what Endeavor envisioned when he was trying to have children, using ice to thermoregulate so his successor could go nuclear. In this case using ice on Dabi works way better than fighting him with fire. "Icebound Crash" is meant to be a riff on "Flashfire Fist" I think, so Shoto's essentially created his own combat style using his unique combination of Quirks.

It's not a great chapter and the actual combat boils down to Punch+ which has been the resolution to every single fight in this series except Lady Nagant, so :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's not so much "cold fire" as it is "using fire to self-regulate body temperature so he can conjure entire glaciers". It's the opposite of what Endeavor envisioned when he was trying to have children, using ice to thermoregulate so his successor could go nuclear. In this case using ice on Dabi works way better than fighting him with fire. "Icebound Crash" is meant to be a riff on "Flashfire Fist" I think, so Shoto's essentially created his own combat style using his unique combination of Quirks.

It's not a great chapter and the actual combat boils down to Punch+ which has been the resolution to every single fight in this series except Lady Nagant, so :geno:

This makes complete sense, thank you. What gets me, though, is until the final shot of the place frozen, what he's doing is pictured as "fire that is cold", rather than "I can do colder ice", which is where it's confusing.