Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah I really can recommend Midnight Suns if you like Marvel in general, more comic focused than movie focused but drat it works. Just be ready for a LOT of conversations and lore stuff, the gameplay works quite well and it's very pretty for what it is but the characters are the highlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Read After Burning posted:

I figured this kinda fit the thread; here's a cute Youtube video about the evolution of pizzas throughout the Sims series. :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUug-Z9ricE

Glad to know I left the series on the pizza-flop high note and missed out on blasphemous deliveryperson teleportation.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A ways into FFXVI you get a Chocobo you can summon and ride in most areas. Typically when you whistle for them to spawn, they'll just walk in from the side of the screen like they're catching up with you. If they can't for whatever reason (narrow path, wall in the way, etc) instead the camera will discreetly shift around a little so your Chocobo can spawn in front of Clive with him in the way obscuring it. It's a really neat and subtle trick :allears:.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ate enough snacks in system shock remake to get an achievement named Look At You, Snacker

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No wonder you’re panting and sweating as you run through the corridors

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
A realization brought on by Sonic Frontiers, but I feel like this is accurate in all games:

The best kind of collectible are songs for a jukebox or playlist function. Especially if it's a game in a long-running franchise that can stuff the whole thing with their own back catalog.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cleretic posted:

A realization brought on by Sonic Frontiers, but I feel like this is accurate in all games:

The best kind of collectible are songs for a jukebox or playlist function. Especially if it's a game in a long-running franchise that can stuff the whole thing with their own back catalog.

Yakuza 7/LAD has actual songs you can get for the sound system in the bar, including other Sega franchises. (and yes, Sonic)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I dislike it unless you can change music on the go. Otherwise it is like sitting at a Youtube music screen except I can't tab out.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It was pretty neat in FFXV to have a lot of selections from previous titles you could listen to on your roadtrip.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I was obsessed with the jukebox in Banjo Tooie as a kid. :allears: I loved sound tests!

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

I was obsessed with the jukebox in Banjo Tooie as a kid. :allears: I loved sound tests!

Chameleon Twist was a fairly mediocre N64 platformer but the sound test let me play a cat meowing over and over again so it was fun.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sound tests were great, especially way back in the days when youtube was still distant future technology. Good memories of using them while holding a cassette recorder up to the speaker and making my own Donkey Kong Country soundtracks :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I definitely stuck earbuds in my gameboy and listened to the warioware music on the school bus. It bumps.

You're god drat right Mona Pizza is the makers of the world's best eats-a.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
My mp3 player didn't have space for podcasts AND music so on a 24 hour trip once I just listed to super robot wars og2 music from my gba for hours at one point.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'd just memorize the Chrono Trigger soundtrack and "play it back" to myself in my head. In fairness, a) I didn't have access to portable digital media playback tech, and b) my primary sport was swimming, which meant long periods of just me and my brain.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'd just memorize the Chrono Trigger soundtrack and "play it back" to myself in my head. In fairness, a) I didn't have access to portable digital media playback tech, and b) my primary sport was swimming, which meant long periods of just me and my brain.

Better a game soundtrack than a whole movie, I guess! :haw:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Autism is a developmental disorder characterised by

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

poo poo, I've re-played Ace Attorney 1, 2, and 3 so many times I may as well be able to just play them in my head. :ohdear:

Anyway, the little references in the Spongebob DLC for Power Wash Simulator are very cute and nostalgic! Although I completely forgot who (character appearance spoiler) The Dirty Bubble was, so I was very confused when I saw what appeared to be a giant meatball flying around.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

poo poo, I've re-played Ace Attorney 1, 2, and 3 so many times I may as well be able to just play them in my head. :ohdear:

Those games are so good, I've played them a bunch of times myself. One of the little things about the game that I don't think get appreciated until you play the later games is how they're just simple mysteries and don't have a ton of gimmicks.

The later games all introduce a bunch of alternate gameplay elements to engage with (3d objects, in courtroom lie detection, emotional readings, actual magic things beyond just plot objects for the game kinda). But none of them hit for me as good as those original games where it's just you solving mysteries with your assistant and (sometimes slightly dubious) logic

I do really like the new attorney Athena though, even if the gameplay element she introduces isn't like.. great

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Anyone who willingly plays the circus case in 2 more than once should be committed, IMO.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Marcade posted:

Anyone who willingly plays the circus case in 2 more than once should be committed, IMO.

I really like the way they handled the wrong answers in 2 and 3. It's pretty great when the judge gets so fed up with the clown that if you press on something that isn't immediately relevant you game over

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Those games are so good, I've played them a bunch of times myself. One of the little things about the game that I don't think get appreciated until you play the later games is how they're just simple mysteries and don't have a ton of gimmicks.

The later games all introduce a bunch of alternate gameplay elements to engage with (3d objects, in courtroom lie detection, emotional readings, actual magic things beyond just plot objects for the game kinda). But none of them hit for me as good as those original games where it's just you solving mysteries with your assistant and (sometimes slightly dubious) logic

I do really like the new attorney Athena though, even if the gameplay element she introduces isn't like.. great

I love Athena for her ridiculously tragic backstory.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

I'm one to talk. I gave up on the last case in game 2 because it started out with Oldbag and Lotta, the two characters I hate the most in the series.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Marcade posted:

I'm one to talk. I gave up on the last case in game 2 because it started out with Oldbag and Lotta, the two characters I hate the most in the series.

Oldbag's schtick gets old (:haw:), but you are my mortal enemy if you hate Lotta. :colbert:

I'm from the South so I automatically love any non-bigot Southern character. :kiddo:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Shining Force 2: The final ultimate weapon is a light sabre haha

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
another little thing i guess... having never played the SEGA Phantasy stars or Shining Forces, playing through them now i dig the fact that the are weird scifi fantasy hybrids. Especially Shining Force where ancient technology turns out to be death ray lasers, or space ships, or robots

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I love the first 2 Shining Forces without reservation. I don’t usually notice music either but I also loved the soundtracks.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Cleretic posted:

I generally find most of the object collectathons to be annoying or unrewarding in the rear end Creed games but you'd better believe I'll do every chase to get a shanty I find in Black Flag/Rogue.

Side note, that two pack is a great buy on the Switch; they're perfect "pick up and play for 10-20 minutes during lunch break" games.

Zero_Grade has a new favorite as of 19:09 on Jul 12, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Speaking of collectathons, I have been playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider to take a break from the Witcher, which is awesome, and all the different artifacts and logbooks you can find have fully voiced descriptions and the voice actress playing Lara sounds really enthusiastic and engaged about all the mayan and incan artifacts she finds :3: Game scratched that Uncharted itch I didn't know I had.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Biplane posted:

Speaking of collectathons, I have been playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider to take a break from the Witcher, which is awesome, and all the different artifacts and logbooks you can find have fully voiced descriptions and the voice actress playing Lara sounds really enthusiastic and engaged about all the mayan and incan artifacts she finds :3: Game scratched that Uncharted itch I didn't know I had.

I think it's the first one in the reboot trilogy where she's all exited about an artifact until she discovers that it's fake.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sally posted:

another little thing i guess... having never played the SEGA Phantasy stars or Shining Forces, playing through them now i dig the fact that the are weird scifi fantasy hybrids. Especially Shining Force where ancient technology turns out to be death ray lasers, or space ships, or robots

There was a surprising constant of RPGs going for the "kitchen sink" D&D campaign approach back then. Early Ultima did the same thing, and of course Might and Magic.

I miss the freewheeling eh, gently caress it rule of cool spirit.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Zero_Grade posted:

I generally find most of the object collectathons to be annoying or unrewarding in the rear end Creed games but you'd better believe I'll do every chase to get a shanty I find in Black Flag/Rogue.

Side note, that two pack is a great buy on the Switch; they're perfect "pick up and play for 10-20 minutes during lunch break" games.

My favourite little thing is that the sea shanty pages won't run away if you're not looking at them - so rather than walking up to them normally, them flying off and you having to chase them, you can just remember where they are, turn around and walk backwards over to where they are, and presto! Shanty collected.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Random sci-fi bullshit in your swords and sorcery game is, if anything, a genre staple. Final Fantasy has it too, for example. Wizardry, maybe not so much, but it did have blenders and elevators and other modern anachronisms.

Basically just realize that the people making these games had no editors, so they were free to stick in whatever they wanted. And what they wanted was more of the stuff they personally enjoyed, which was fantasy and sci-fi.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Random sci-fi bullshit in your swords and sorcery game is, if anything, a genre staple. Final Fantasy has it too, for example. Wizardry, maybe not so much, but it did have blenders and elevators and other modern anachronisms.

Basically just realize that the people making these games had no editors, so they were free to stick in whatever they wanted. And what they wanted was more of the stuff they personally enjoyed, which was fantasy and sci-fi.

I thought Wizardry was very sci fi? Don't you travel around on a spaceship and one of the races is a robot? That might have come in later entries though...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

I thought Wizardry was very sci fi? Don't you travel around on a spaceship and one of the races is a robot? That might have come in later entries though...

It's possible! I'm only familiar with the first few games, via reading Let's Plays.

Ultima definitely has spaceships and evil computers.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Might and Magic takes place on a giant space ship in at least a few of the games. Also has end game weaponry being laser guns.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

credburn posted:

Wizardry 6 ended with meeting up with a dragon and his starship, yeah. The 6-7-8 trilogy were each set on different planets and had a full on space opera with magic setting going. You just played as a bunch of yokels from a backwater world that existed in a medieval-ish era.

Each game in the trilogy gave the party successively more advanced and widespread technology.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

I think a big difference to me, at least as someone who lacks deep knowledge of the series, is that Final Fantasy generally tries to keep to more cohesive elements. Like sure they have lots of blended magitek or more overtly modern stuff (Cloud has a straight-up motorcycle, after all), but they don't usually have aliens crash land into the game world and turn everything upside-down. Or have you walk through a secret door only to reveal the whole game has been in the Matrix all along.

Like I'm sure it comes from the exact same interests and desires, it just doesn't land quite the same.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

(Cloud has a straight-up motorcycle, after all), but they don't usually have aliens crash land into the game world and turn everything upside-down.

It's hilarious that these two lines are side-by-side because while technically correct about Final Fantasy VII, it loves to toe that goddamned line so much.

They're not aliens, they've been there the whole time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'd argue that the tech in FF1 is very much out of nowhere. There's a tower in the desert, made of stone, and if you bring the CUBE there, you're allowed to climb it into outer space. My best guess is that it's a space elevator, and the CUBE is a data crystal or something that makes the elevator work. But the game's text is so sparse that it's hard to know.