Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Can anyone else not connect to the server or is it just me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

we just had a reset where they're handing out like 60 sq so i'm sure it's being slammed

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

the_steve posted:

Canonically speaking, how much of a certified badass is the MC at this point?

Sure, their magic potential is somewhere around "Shirou", but they've demonstrated mastery of high level ninjutsu and were able to go toe-to-toe with Goetia.
Plus, Shimousa points out that they're right there in the thick of things during combat, even if all they end up doing is casting Support spells for the servants.

I get that even a weak servant is probably superhuman, but the MC should be almost Batman tier in terms of capabilities.

We punched a demon god in the face.

And in terms of magic potential, Shirou at least had strengthening down pat. Gudao is utterly dependant on Mystic Codes for even basic spells, putting us on par with Hakuno 'quite literally born yesterday' Kishinami.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

the_steve posted:

Sure, their magic potential is somewhere around "Shirou", but they've demonstrated mastery of high level ninjutsu and were able to go toe-to-toe with Goetia.
Plus, Shimousa points out that they're right there in the thick of things during combat, even if all they end up doing is casting Support spells for the servants.

I get that even a weak servant is probably superhuman, but the MC should be almost Batman tier in terms of capabilities.

We've received training from tons of Heroic Spirits including Leonidas himself, been gifted countless high quality weapons (and that's assuming those weapons aren't just straight-up Noble Phantasms), and been tutored by some of the greatest minds (scientific and magical) in existence.

I feel like even Batman would take one look at us and say, "God drat."

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

We walked back and forth across the North American continent... repeatedly.

We also got hit by a cannonball round blast that was near enough to send us flying into the air and lived, though Mash had to use a healing scroll on us.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Someone made an image listing all of Guda(k)o's accomplishments once, and yeah the list is pretty extensive.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

serefin99 posted:

We've received training from tons of Heroic Spirits including Leonidas himself, been gifted countless high quality weapons (and that's assuming those weapons aren't just straight-up Noble Phantasms), and been tutored by some of the greatest minds (scientific and magical) in existence.

I feel like even Batman would take one look at us and say, "God drat."

Exactly, but it still sounds like we're treated like a Faberge Egg in combat situations.

I can sorta understand, since if the MC goes down, then the Servants do too since they're their contractor, and they're still not as powerful as a Servant, but it seems like they're still regarded as having no actual combat capabilities.
Like, it's "Support us with Mystic Codes and try not to get stabbed." even though they have, like you said, been trained extensively by literal legendary figures, punched a demon God in the face with a shield made out of the Round Table, and did a Diving Cross Body to a sun goddess from a mile up.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

gudako is so powerful

it's shittily formatted but whatever.

Kild fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 8, 2019

Broshevik
Mar 25, 2011

No Pain
Didn't the MC get melted in one of the CCC timelines

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Broshevik posted:

Didn't the MC get melted in one of the CCC timelines

Fine red mist basically.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Got nothing.

That's okay, I'd been too lucky lately. It balances the Karma.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I said I would only spend 90 quartz and save the rest for Eresh and Kinprotea. First two 10-rolls were duds, but on the last one Grandpa showed up on the very last card. :toot:

And I was able to snag a Fran, too.

Kay Kessler fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 8, 2019

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

BisbyWorl posted:

We punched a demon god in the face.

And in terms of magic potential, Shirou at least had strengthening down pat. Gudao is utterly dependant on Mystic Codes for even basic spells, putting us on par with Hakuno 'quite literally born yesterday' Kishinami.

They're pretty good with Mystic Codes, though. Being able to actually stun a servant with magic resist A nearly instantly should require like, age of gods level magic going by stuff like FSN, but Ritsuka can throw out gandr with no issue.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

the_steve posted:

Exactly, but it still sounds like we're treated like a Faberge Egg in combat situations.

That's because we are. It's high powered Servant combat, where top tier heroes like Arturia, Goldie and the Mahabros slug it out.
No matter how goddamn Batman we are*, even a glancing hit will be lethal; even Musashi had a lot of problems keeping up, and that was a version of her that had been gallivanting the multiverse as a murderhobo for years.
Add the fact that we're load bearing (the Assassin class whole reason d'etre was to bypass Servant combat and go for the Master) and you get the problem.
I think part of the reason Servants respect us is because we lead from the front without fear or hesitation despite being massively outgunned and we end up meaningfully contributing. That's Hero stuff right there, and even Goldie can't help but respect that.

*just this event we did a perfectly executed substitution jutsu, we are the goddamn Batman. What we need is a story beat where normal humans try to get Gudako only for her to Batman her way through.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Omobono posted:

That's because we are. It's high powered Servant combat, where top tier heroes like Arturia, Goldie and the Mahabros slug it out.
No matter how goddamn Batman we are*, even a glancing hit will be lethal; even Musashi had a lot of problems keeping up, and that was a version of her that had been gallivanting the multiverse as a murderhobo for years.

Yeah, I'm reminded of how in the Case Files anime , unless there was stuff from the Light Novels that they cut, the last we see of the priest guy is him getting kicked in the chest by a servant and the next we hear of him he's dead.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Kyte posted:

In JP it's 直死の魔眼, "Chokushi no Magan". 直死 is one of Nasu's trademark kanji soups made from 直, "direct" and 死, "death", so the literal translation is "Mystic Eyes of Direct Death".
The pun is in reading 直死 as "chokushi", so it's homophonous to 直視, which means to look someone in the eyes or to look directly at an object (the second kanji, 視, means "look at, inspect").

So basically "mystic eyes of stare you to death".

:hmmyes:

I thought Death Perception was already a great pun

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Spent aaaall the free orbs and got me a boob monk who is another servant from my very small list of characters I actually want! :toot:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
finally got space ish and off of my last ticket too, i will not be hosed by you this event FGO!!!!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

All I wanted was Calamity Jane and I did not get her.

At least I had fun destroying everything with my Emiya and Billy team.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Omobono posted:

Add the fact that we're load bearing (the Assassin class whole reason d'etre was to bypass Servant combat and go for the Master) and you get the problem.
I think part of the reason Servants respect us is because we lead from the front without fear or hesitation despite being massively outgunned and we end up meaningfully contributing. That's Hero stuff right there, and even Goldie can't help but respect that.

*just this event we did a perfectly executed substitution jutsu, we are the goddamn Batman. What we need is a story beat where normal humans try to get Gudako only for her to Batman her way through.

A lot of this. Despite being trained by someone like Leonaidas, we are still a very squishy, very killable human at the end of the day.

The fact that we regularly stare down otherworldly horrors, deal with impossible situations regularly and space plancha outright Gods has servants either admire our dedication, question our mental state or fear what we could actually do.

Especially since modern humans are absolutely outgunned in the realm of magecraft when compared to a few hundred years prior, the MC being able to contract an army of super-powered heroes, villains and misfits is a near-impossibility and has a lot of people curious, at the least. We are an aberration, and people flock to aberrations for good or ill.

Also, we physically destroy Goetia Solomon at the end of the Grand Order. Literally beat him into non-existence. Using Mash's giant-rear end metal shield. That is an Age of Heroes-level feat and probably has a lot of attention from good and bad corners.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
every once in a while I think to myself "Mystic Eyes of Depth Perception" and laugh

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

i also got Sanzang (again)

kind of hope that she stops getting lost now but i do enjoy the damage she puts out with a MLB Black Grail.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Well looks like Gramps killed FGO for me. :v:

Try to start it up and tapping past the title screen just gets me a white screen soft lock, with a flash of Connecting before it hangs.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I got a attila, yikes.

In before goos civ memes, hassan is gone forever.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
My favorite bit in Shimosa is when the feared curse of annihilation spell is overruled by the MC’s piddly rear end Rain of Isis spell. it really lowers the competence of the Caster of Limbo

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

klapman posted:

every once in a while I think to myself "Mystic Eyes of Depth Perception" and laugh

it's me, the person who first read mirror moon's tsukihime translation over thirteen years ago and never once caught on to this pun until just now, in this moment

:negative:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm not gonna get those free saint quartz in time, probably, but I feel the game's writing has gotten a lot better in America and I'll be able to genuinely enjoy myself on the road from here to the final singularity.

And isn't enjoyment all that matters?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
In the end, the real friends were the gacha money you spent along the way.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Bogart posted:

My favorite bit in Shimosa is when the feared curse of annihilation spell is overruled by the MC’s piddly rear end Rain of Isis spell. it really lowers the competence of the Caster of Limbo

i mean ashiya doman's entire existence is getting clowned on by another wizard, so...

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

the_steve posted:

The game takes great pains to emphasize how ordinary Ritsuka is. Other characters do all the heavy lifting and his magical capability is way below that of Shirou.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Ritsuka can throw out gandr with no issue.

Bogart posted:

Both of these are done by Mystic Codes though rather through Ritsuka's own power. It's the equivalent of using magic items. And the Servants get maintained through support from Chaldea with Merlin providing the mana.

Broshevik
Mar 25, 2011

No Pain

Factor_VIII posted:

The game takes great pains to emphasize how ordinary Ritsuka is. Other characters do all the heavy lifting and his magical capability is way below that of Shirou.

Both of these are done by Mystic Codes though rather through Ritsuka's own power. It's the equivalent of using magic items. And the Servants get maintained through support from Chaldea with Merlin providing the mana.

Yeah but they have the Power of Friendship, the most powerful ability in anime

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Squiddycat posted:

I'm not gonna get those free saint quartz in time, probably, but I feel the game's writing has gotten a lot better in America and I'll be able to genuinely enjoy myself on the road from here to the final singularity.

And isn't enjoyment all that matters?

Oh man, if you're enjoying the writing in America you're really going to like it when you hit Camelot. Agartha aside the writing shot up then and has not dipped down to America levels since.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
To any Ozy owners, I'm curious about the first half of his interlude, can you burn down all 100 enemies in it if you ignore the target boss Sphinx? Couldn't find any videos of it when I searched.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

wikis list the Khafre Sphinx as the clear condition so you should be able to kill everything else first. i blind picked the nito support and wasn't using any kind of team that could've done it so i didn't bother.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
While I doubt it is going to end up being true, I've always liked a theory I once read that theorized the protagonist is unknowingly the seventh Beast and the reason all the servants like him is because of his dormant power or something. While I can see that the theory has several flaws one of which being why would the servants who would probably figure it out thanks to there abilities like Holmes and Gilgamesh accept the mc as their master I have always liked the theory and think of it when people bring up all the things the mc is able to do thanks to their relationships with the servants.

Unrelated to that is it ever actually confirmed in a side book or something that the mc's poison and other bad things resistance comes from their contract with Mash or is it just an assumption/theory the characters have. I don't recall someone who would know about Galahad's abilities ever confirming it directly.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

klapman posted:

:hfive:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

klapman posted:

It's a powerful name

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Guda being anything other than a normal human undermines many of the themes that underpin FGO. Every single one of Nasu's stories boil down to "through struggle, humans can progress". For that matter, victory always comes from the protagonist's resolve and the self-realization of their values.

So no, Guda's not a nascent beast or any other kind of bullshit. They're not even particularly Batman. They're just good at rolling with the punches.

the_steve posted:

Also he learned how to make curry from Emiya.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 9, 2019

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

There’s a list of every single thing the servants have trained gudako to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

klapman posted:

So many years, and I never got that...