Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Rabid Snake posted:

I wonder how much power these chips are going to be using and how much heat is generated

45W most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

These numbers do not help me feel less annoyed about buying this laptop!

To be fair that’s probably a 95W+ chip going into a Mac Mini or something like that.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
1060 Max-Q is like, 60-80W TDP configurable, the i7-7700HQ is another 35-45 configurable, so long as AMD + Intel beats a combined Intel + Nvidia 95W-125W mark, they're in good straits, and I think it's all on AMD to do the cutting anyhow.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Missed that it has a full i7-7700HQ on it but 6GB of GDDR5 is around 30W by itself so total should be quite a bit lower.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Is the 1070ti for $450 a better value than the 1080 at $500?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Google Butt posted:

Is the 1070ti for $450 a better value than the 1080 at $500?

Seeing as you can snag 1080s nowadays at ~$480, not really.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Seeing as you can snag 1080s nowadays at ~$480, not really.

Where are you seeing a 1080 at $480? I'll buy that poo poo right now.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Arzachel posted:

Missed that it has a full i7-7700HQ on it but 6GB of GDDR5 is around 30W by itself so total should be quite a bit lower.

Oh, the AMD + Intel parts? They're being called i7-8705G and i7-8809G, not 7700HQ, that's what *I* have on my laptop.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

How much is this going to tank AMD APU sales, say you all?

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

How much is this going to tank AMD APU sales, say you all?

Not at all? They are at different price points.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Urthor posted:

I hope not. I know a few friends were interested in the most powerful gaming APU and will be going Intel now instead.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I hope not. I know a few friends were interested in the most powerful gaming APU and will be going Intel now instead.

This is a small, weird niche that Intel found out wasn't really worth servicing after trying with the GT4 graphics parts like desktop broadwell and skull canyon.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

That is a weird-rear end thing to be interested in.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Urthor posted:

and performance/wattage points

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That is a weird-rear end thing to be interested in.

I think if those chips go into NUC's then they'll finally be viable as gaming boxes. It's nice to be able to game without having to put together a box that looks like a rice rocket Honda and a shipping crate had a baby.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Google Butt posted:

Where are you seeing a 1080 at $480? I'll buy that poo poo right now.

They've been that low within the last few weeks. Keep an eye on the BuildAPCSales subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/search?q=GPU&sort=new&restrict_sr=on&feature=legacy_search

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 13, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

ProjektorBoy posted:

I think if those chips go into NUC's then they'll finally be viable as gaming boxes.
Totally. And absolutely tiny.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

3840x1600 is good enough, you can run it on 2560x1600 for 16:10 if needed. Scaling still works so poorly I don't want to buy a higher dpi monitor than 10 years ago.

get a mac™

eames posted:

To be fair that’s probably a 95W+ chip going into a Mac Mini or something like that.

this would be so great, although it would require apple giving a single solitary poo poo about the mac mini. that being said some of their recent moves do suggest a tacit acknowledgement that their past 'strategy' of 'making everything really underpowered for no reason' is dumb as hell so who knows, maybe in aa couple of years there might be desktop macs worth buying that aren't imacs

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 13, 2017

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

ProjektorBoy posted:

I think if those chips go into NUC's then they'll finally be viable as gaming boxes. It's nice to be able to game without having to put together a box that looks like a rice rocket Honda and a shipping crate had a baby.

Well the Gigabyte Brix has cooled it with their styling to be just taller Nuc boxes, and with an Intel/AMD APU in it, would be one hell of a tiny Gaming/SteamBox for sure finally.

The Brix is a hell of a tiny powerhouse too. I snagged one from someone on Facebook Market selling one with a i5-4570R 256G EVO, and 16GB Ram for $250. Wasn't going to pass that up. Now its my Plex Server to take care of all the encoding.

I wonder if APU's increase in performance enough to eat into the Nvidia/AMD MOBA market GPU's, will that cause them to compete on price/performance better, or just make Nvidia focus on the high end or leave and go compute primarily next?

Will be interesting to say the least now that APU's are about to do what I and many of us here have been saying for drat near 10 years now.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

EdEddnEddy posted:

Well the Gigabyte Brix has cooled it with their styling to be just taller Nuc boxes, and with an Intel/AMD APU in it, would be one hell of a tiny Gaming/SteamBox for sure finally.

The Brix is a hell of a tiny powerhouse too. I snagged one from someone on Facebook Market selling one with a i5-4570R 256G EVO, and 16GB Ram for $250. Wasn't going to pass that up. Now its my Plex Server to take care of all the encoding.

I wonder if APU's increase in performance enough to eat into the Nvidia/AMD MOBA market GPU's, will that cause them to compete on price/performance better, or just make Nvidia focus on the high end or leave and go compute primarily next?

Will be interesting to say the least now that APU's are about to do what I and many of us here have been saying for drat near 10 years now.

loving hell is there such a thing as moba market gpus? almost as bad as bitcoin market gpus imo

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Streamer PCs could be a thing rather than companies cramming a bunch of poo poo and graphics cards that aren't even needed in the first place except for GPU accelerating when watching videos.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Generic Monk posted:

loving hell is there such a thing as moba market gpus? almost as bad as bitcoin market gpus imo

People want to play mobas on cheap machines so companies market their low end toward that market. It makes sense.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Generic Monk posted:

In many parts of the world people are still paying cafes to play these games. And while Source 2 helped a lot just three years ago it wasn’t uncommon for people in economically challenged parts of the world to pass on Dota for League because of the lower requirements from it’s shittier graphics.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

MOBA Market is literally what the 1050/1050Ti was made for. From LoL to Rocket League the 1050/Ti is perfect for that niche. Now if an APU can beat that, that makes that market a little trickier.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't know about beating it, but esports games and APUs are going to be made with each other in mind. Keep in mind with the two big moba games you're talking about trying to make it as accessible as soccer or something. The games are deliberately kept free of complicated tech (again, one thing Dota benefited from after it's engine change in 2015 was better performance on lower end hardware). Likewise, they're what APUs are often looked at as a target player. When you're in the working class of nations with crushing poverty, you don't want to have to buy any GPU card, whether it's a 1050 or whatever.

At least until this shakeup, GT1030 and RX550 were the "better than the built in graphics" option you're talking about. 1050/ti was for people with pre-built Dells or whatever, who have no power clips who wanted to run AAA games entirely on slot power. Not at ultra detail obviously, but at least it runs. This market will get more interesting eventually, not just because built-in graphics are going to become a lot more competitive with Intel+AMD, but also because one of the interesting things we've gleamed from small peeks at Volta is that it might actually be able to do a lot with just the power from the slot.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Generic Monk posted:

As long as there have been netcafes or lancenters, my friend, there have been moba-market GPUs.

GPUs just barely powerful enough to run WC3FC for Dota Allstars, or CS1.6, so that the lancenter operator can pack as many goddamn computers into a stiflingly hot room with the lights out, and both front and back doors open.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah when I was in South Korea a few years back they had internet cafes every 2 blocks, it was definitely more than there were coffee shops in US cities. That's a lot of GPUs...

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That's not to say they don't exist in America, but in my experience, they only still continue to exist in places where the demographics supports it.

I *think* this means "largely Asian or SEA", but I'm not sure anymore, because a lot of the ones I knew about back when I lived in San Jose have closed down, with something called "gamer lounges" having sprung up to fill in the gap.

Sports bars but with esports instead of real sports, basically.

quote:

To meet our customers’ requirements and new timelines for global deployments of exascale, we are modifying our portfolio investment approach and accelerating technologies on the Intel high-performance computing roadmap. Intel has demonstrated the ability to enable efficient, multi-workload high-performance computing at scale across many different applications – and we’re excited about the technologies we’ll bring to bear to further democratize massive scale computing. One step we’re taking is to replace one of the future Intel® Xeon Phi™ processors (code name Knights Hill) with a new platform and new microarchitecture specifically designed for exascale. Combined with our comprehensive HPC solutions portfolio spanning compute, storage, I/O, and software, the updated roadmap is well poised to energize the exascale revolution.

TL;DR: Raja's hard at work already, we're killing Knights Hill.

https://itpeernetwork.intel.com/unleashing-high-performance-computing/

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 14, 2017

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Lan cafes are still really popular SEA, but probably less popular than 5~10 years ago in the richer cities. I know that in Taipei and Kuala Lumpur they are still fairly easy to find, but in Hong Kong, for example, they almost don't exist anymore when 5~10 years ago you'd find one within 15 minutes of another.

I was last in Hanoi a few months ago, and I recall seeing enough that I made a mental note of it. The last time I had traveled to Vietnam was over 12 years ago and back then, there was only internet cafes for email and web browsing, no gaming to speak of.

There will be a pretty huge market for MOBA-class GPUs in less-well-developed SEA cities simply due to lan cafes alone, nevermind people who can afford their own computers, but only barely.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 14, 2017

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
What are 1060 6gb minis like compared to full fat?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Surprise Giraffe posted:

What are 1060 6gb minis like compared to full fat?

Not as big a difference as you'd think. You might not be able to squeeze as much of an overclock out of them, but at stock to modest OC numbers, there *might* be a 4-5C difference between the single-fanned minis and the dual/triple-fanned SKUs with larger HSFs. 1060s don't run that hot. The main difference might end up being that the models with the 2-3 fans and larger heatsinks might be able to run longer at idle without the fans moving at all.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I'd imagine the minis would also be louder?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
A little louder/hotter of course, but by all reports I read it's manageable on a stock 1060.
The main thing is, any overclocking means manually cranking the fan beyond the 'ok' stage.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Ive installed a bunch of the 1060 evga single fan cards and cant say any of them are really audible.

edit: guessing vega isn't very efficient

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 14, 2017

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It'll be interesting to see what happens when DOTA/League/CS:GO are totally eclipsed by more-demanding stuff like PUBG. I anticipate the 1150ti will be targeted to running PUBG comfortably on medium / 60fps.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm sorry, I think you typoed. Surely you meant the 1180ti.

(har har PUBG optimization joke har har)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

haha yeah possibly!

The nearby pc gaming esports lounge has 1060s and PUBG is good enough on 'em, so it's not a huge leap to think that the 1150 would be similar performance, really.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

well why not posted:

It'll be interesting to see what happens when DOTA/League/CS:GO are totally eclipsed by more-demanding stuff like PUBG. I anticipate the 1150ti will be targeted to running PUBG comfortably on medium / 60fps.

By the time DOTA/League/CS:GO are eclipsed we'll all be using Intel dedicated GPUs thanks to Raja.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

PUBG has peaked higher playercount than CS:GO, which is pretty insane. They'll both be big for awhile, particularly if PUBG get their poo poo together w/r/t performance. Dota/League probably aren't going anywhere for a very long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
PUBG also has some amount of user botting that is hard to account for.