Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Found it on my next attempt.

Wow the Iron Golem hits hard. I keep dying from getting knocked off the edge.

If you want an assist with that one, pop a Humanity and go back up to the boss door. Then turn right and walk across the bridge to that empty tower, it might not seem so empty in your human body ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I haven't run into many cheaters playing the PC version, but when I do it's usually just an infinite Divine Blessings or something like that.
This was one of my first cheaters I ran into:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dsX2DHArmY
I wanted to try out Karmic Justice, but I had run into this guy earlier in the day and he was clipping right through my attacks. When I saw him again I decided to record it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Found it on my next attempt.

Wow the Iron Golem hits hard. I keep dying from getting knocked off the edge.

While you might want to summon the NPC earlier to deal with the Iron golem, don't forget to jump across the gap on the bridge on the way to the boss, it has a merchant for some materials you haven't gotten to play with a whole lot.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
Iron Golem was the easiest boss to me aside from Pinwheel and Sif? There are two things you can do that make it really, REALLY easy. One requires exploring, the other requires situational awareness of the boss fight area.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Turtlicious posted:

:darksouls: http://www.twitch.tv/GlassLotuss

Back after a long break, I'm co-commentating on my Fiance / Girlfriend's Sorcerer blind run!

Level 46 Just leaving blighttown.

Hey, why don't you guys have archived footage enabled? I like watching Dark Souls, but I tend to miss these streams; I'd still like to check them out.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I haven't had much time to play, but I get next week off so it's :darksouls: time!

I just got to the minotaur boss (and got my rear end handed to me in a plate). I also found a tower, went down, down, down... To a giant knight with a huge hammer that started chasing me upstairs, until I decied to FIGHT LIKE A MAN.

And die.

I also found out I could jump! By jumping over a small wall and falling to the nether.

I really liked the spear that I found on some dude, mostly because of the reach and that I can pierce two zombies together, but I really wish I had a better weapon.

Wanted to ask, is there any noob mistakes I could avoid by knowning before hand? Like, no points in resistance, some people said something about a fire soul?

One of the tutorial texts said something about kicking, but the key combination that it showed does nothing of the sort, am I missing something?

QuantumButler
Feb 23, 2008

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Wanted to ask, is there any noob mistakes I could avoid by knowning before hand? Like, no points in resistance, some people said something about a fire soul?

One of the tutorial texts said something about kicking, but the key combination that it showed does nothing of the sort, am I missing something?

To kick, you have to sort of hit rb while flicking forward/up on the left stick, the tutorial prompt is useless at telling you this.

The thing you want to avoid using is a fire keeper soul, if you find one of those keep it until you find an npc who can use them to help you.

In Dark Souls pretty much every weapon is a viable endgame weapon, if you really like the spear you'll be able to upgrade it's damage once you find a blacksmith, assuming you have the required materials, if you find a weapon you like, feel free to upgrade it a bunch and use it for the whole game, most of the common upgrade materials are available at merchants or can be otherwise obtained without too much trouble, especially small shards, don't bee too stingy with small shards, feel free to upgrade different stuff to try, you won't necessarily find way better weapons later on, though of course there are things that might be better depending on build or playstyle.

With spear type weapons, you can attack while blocking with your shield, allowing you to tackle the game somewhat more safely, not a bad choice for a new player.

QuantumButler fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 11, 2014

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Right, the best advice I can give is read item descriptions before you use the items, as they sometimes tell you what they are used for or give you clues on where to go or what to do.

Also resistance is just a waste, because while it extends the bar that it takes for poison and toxic build-up, it also extends the time you are poisoned, so you might end up taking more damage. And even for the help it does give, you can easily find items that give you more than enough resistance to poison. Toxic, maybe not, but you can always survive through the worst by just pushing on.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

Also resistance is just a waste, because while it extends the bar that it takes for poison and toxic build-up, it also extends the time you are poisoned, so you might end up taking more damage.

This is incorrect, poison time is static
The real reason resistance is useless is that the effect is so insignificant and expensive compared to just wearing some armor with decent poison resistance (Which is indeed the best solution against all status effects)

Edit: That's one of the reasons, there are more of course

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Streaming SL1 run. Be ye unemployed, employed but bored, getting ready for bed or getting out of bed - come watch!

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Stringbean posted:

Streaming SL1 run. Be ye unemployed, employed but bored, getting ready for bed or getting out of bed - come watch!

Whew, got a lil dicey on dat capra.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
Giving this a play through before II hits, and I think I'm playing it wrong. Came in expecting to die a lot, and I am - that's not the bit that's not fun, it's how I'm dying.

Undead Burg and I'm at the Taurus Demon. Tried fighting him and was getting my rear end handed to me no matter how I dodged. Read up a strategy that said, if you climb up the tower you can do that falling stab for huge damage. OK! So I do this, yep, takes him down to 50% or something, and now I'm standing on his head. Now I've fallen back onto the staircase down from the white smoke door. Now I'm trapped here and can't get past him onto the bridge, or forward enough to get back onto the ladder for another go. Now I'm dead.

Or earlier, in the bit between the guys on the roof lobbing firebombs and the climb up to the Taurus demon, there's three guys with shields and pikes. Even if I take them one by one, OK I can't really damage them with shields up and dodging round them to get to their side is only so effective so I try waiting for them to lunge, blocking it, and countering. About half the time I counter I can see they're about to go into another attack, so I try blocking with shield again, but the controller seems to read this as me having another swing with my sword, and I get hit once or twice by them.

Maybe I just suck! Don't use controllers a lot but it seems like half the time I die it's because I'm getting stuck between a wall and a giant hitbox I can't get out of, or my controller wants to swing instead of blocking and I use up all my estus by the time I even get to a boss.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

HauntedRobot posted:

Giving this a play through before II hits, and I think I'm playing it wrong. Came in expecting to die a lot, and I am - that's not the bit that's not fun, it's how I'm dying.

Undead Burg and I'm at the Taurus Demon. Tried fighting him and was getting my rear end handed to me no matter how I dodged. Read up a strategy that said, if you climb up the tower you can do that falling stab for huge damage. OK! So I do this, yep, takes him down to 50% or something, and now I'm standing on his head. Now I've fallen back onto the staircase down from the white smoke door. Now I'm trapped here and can't get past him onto the bridge, or forward enough to get back onto the ladder for another go. Now I'm dead.

Or earlier, in the bit between the guys on the roof lobbing firebombs and the climb up to the Taurus demon, there's three guys with shields and pikes. Even if I take them one by one, OK I can't really damage them with shields up and dodging round them to get to their side is only so effective so I try waiting for them to lunge, blocking it, and countering. About half the time I counter I can see they're about to go into another attack, so I try blocking with shield again, but the controller seems to read this as me having another swing with my sword, and I get hit once or twice by them.

Maybe I just suck! Don't use controllers a lot but it seems like half the time I die it's because I'm getting stuck between a wall and a giant hitbox I can't get out of, or my controller wants to swing instead of blocking and I use up all my estus by the time I even get to a boss.

Actions are partially queued, so if you're hitting attack more than once you can't really cancel to block.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You just need to practice! Try kicking the shield guys to break their guard. Don't worry, you'll get better.

I was dying to Hollows just a week ago myself. :unsmith:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Welp time for my once a month viewing of Iron Tarkus solos the Iron Golem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbHtRggFsNA

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

NTT posted:

TARKUUUUUUUS!

Second best character in the game and he doesn't even talk.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Regy Rusty posted:

I was dying to Hollows just a week ago myself. :unsmith:
250 hours in the game and i still die to them every now and then.

Tarkus doesn't have a high bar to clear. :)

Edit: although on ng++ his sword does 1100 damage with a single handed stab while my two handed zwei+15 barely breaks 700. Guy is a loving monster.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 11, 2014

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

a medical mystery posted:

Actions are partially queued, so if you're hitting attack more than once you can't really cancel to block.

Ah I bet that's it. Thanks. I'll push on.

CasualMaleXL
Oct 25, 2009

Big britches get bitches

NTT posted:

This makes his own unfortunate end so much more appropriate.

Gravity :smith:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Out of all the parry-riposte enemies in the game hollows are still giving me the most issues.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Zedd posted:

Out of all the parry-riposte enemies in the game hollows are still giving me the most issues.

Yeah, but screw 'em, it is the one type of enemy you are better off forgoing parrying with.

But thinking about it, if I was better at it, Seath's library might have been so much easier. :negative:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hollows are really hard to parry because their attack animations are so janky and aren't fluid like, say, Havel or a Silver Knight's.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Yeah, but screw 'em, it is the one type of enemy you are better off forgoing parrying with.

But thinking about it, if I was better at it, Seath's library might have been so much easier. :negative:

Try stabbing in the back.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Try stabbing in the back.

Yes, much better, except the library is full of chairs that I swear are made out of adamantium.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Finished Streaming my SL1 run for now. Bosses killed in this last sitting include - Capra Demon (in one shot, say whaaaat), Gaping Dragon, Queelag, Ceaseless Discharge, and the Iron Golem. Thanks to whoever decided to watch, I know I'm not the most fun to watch (or listen to because I dont use my built-in mic). But I enjoy reading what folks have to say while I wind through the game.

I have the videos saved on hitbox if anyone wants to watch them at their odd hours. Combined footage is about... 4 hours long? If you see me stop just skip ahead in the video a little bit (Its usually when I go AFK suddenly to help my wife). You can navigate to them on my profile there (just click the link from my last post).

Edit: Or not, the videos are saved but are showing up as nothing. Grand.
Edit.2: VVV Welp guess it does work, it's just loading slowly. VVV

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 11, 2014

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
drat, I wanted to see that 1 shot capra!!

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
So, against popular opinion, I started a new game, and I won't regret it.
Zweihander baby, how was I able to live without you ? :getin:

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Big weapons fast rolls is the only way to play :getin:

(I haven't managed to get far post AL since everything kills me in 2 hits)

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
This run is quickly heading to a Giantdad build.
I've been invading people at the Parish, and holy poo poo, being a dick feels really good. What are these guys even doing being human, anyways ?
trying to invoke friendly people to beat the boss ? gently caress that

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

legendsuper posted:

This run is quickly heading to a Giantdad build.
I've been invading people at the Parish, and holy poo poo, being a dick feels really good. What are these guys even doing being human, anyways ?
trying to invoke friendly people to beat the boss ? gently caress that

Kindling a bonfire, probably.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Anor Londo! :swoon: Oh man I'm so pumped!

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Prepare to die.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pun pundit posted:

Hey, why don't you guys have archived footage enabled? I like watching Dark Souls, but I tend to miss these streams; I'd still like to check them out.

I'll tell her to turn it on. I have it on, on mine.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Think I was part of one of the most anticlimactic invasions ever. Was making my way through Oolacile Township and predictably fell to my doom at some point. Then an indictment popped up as I was falling to my death, followed by the "you have been invaded" on the game over screen. I imagine it was quite the let-down for my invader.

drat, just realized I can hurt the ghosts in the Chasm of the Abyss.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 11, 2014

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Sivek posted:

drat, just realized I can hurt the ghosts in the Chasm of the Abyss.

Not only that, but they drop humanity like it's loving candy. :getin:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So uh... Sif is the easiest boss in the game right? I kept expecting him to pull another trick and kill me but he didn't and just let me get inside his reach and slash away.

(I know this isn't Anor Londo but I wanted to spend my huge mass of souls first and then noticed I could buy the Crest and well one thing led to another and now I murdered a wolf and some cats.)

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

So uh... Sif is the easiest boss in the game right? I kept expecting him to pull another trick and kill me but he didn't and just let me get inside his reach and slash away.

(I know this isn't Anor Londo but I wanted to spend my huge mass of souls first and then noticed I could buy the Crest and well one thing led to another and now I murdered a wolf and some cats.)

I've actually been killed by Sif on occasion.

He's very easy (He's just a big dog after all) but there's is at least one guy who's even easier.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
At some point during Sif fights, I just get all sad because of how he's limping around, and then especially after how awesome his stuff in the DLC is, getting to fight along side puppy Sif. I hate it now that it makes me fight and kill him.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Regy Rusty posted:

Well, it IS one of the bosses you can tackle as your first (if not the most likely candidate).

Sif always sounded like a female name to me. Is the wolf actually specifically explicitly gender-specified anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You might be right. The mythological figure was female: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sif

• Locked thread