Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

2house2fly posted:

Do you have to have thrown your lot in with a faction to involve them in the DLC? Presumably the game doesn't let you tell the Institute and the Brotherhood and the Railroad all about the synth colony at once?

I don't think you have to fully commit. Current playthrough I've been involved with the Railroad, Minutemen, and BOS (haven't "found" Virgil yet to progress the main line). I had the prompts to inform the Railroad and BOS, together or separately, with both being optional.

Content: never took the second level of Scrounger before now. drat, that's handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Azhais posted:

You need a quest to get into the vault is the part everyone is skipping here. Watch for a mr handy in the main far harbor town, it'll show up at some point or another

You don't. I found the entrance and talked my way in.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mosnar posted:

I don't think you have to fully commit. Current playthrough I've been involved with the Railroad, Minutemen, and BOS (haven't "found" Virgil yet to progress the main line). I had the prompts to inform the Railroad and BOS, together or separately, with both being optional.

Content: never took the second level of Scrounger before now. drat, that's handy.

Yeah, at second level and up, Scrounger makes enemies start dropping ammo for guns they don't even have, and rare ammo like .50 cal and 2mm starts showing up early.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Speedball posted:

The Radium Rifle does at least as much physical damage as those big-barreled Assault Rifles and has extra radiation damage on the side. The one I had tended to chew through enemies like butter. Even radiation-resistant enemies died pretty quickly thanks to the regular ballistic damage, the radiation was the cherry on top that let it blow through humanoids.

I took it for a few crawls tonight and you were right. It was a giblet machine. Very little was able to take more than two shots from it.

Though, my Chameleon leg piece that turns the front of it invisible makes aiming down the sights impossible so I have to say goodbye to that old piece of leather.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Suave Fedora posted:

Though, my Chameleon leg piece that turns the front of it invisible makes aiming down the sights impossible so I have to say goodbye to that old piece of leather.

on a quasi-related note, don't use any gun with a night vision scope if you have the night vision perk from that one talent that gives it while crouched during the night in far harbor; the combination of double night vision + the fog effect makes it completely impossible to see through the scope

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Suave Fedora posted:

I took it for a few crawls tonight and you were right. It was a giblet machine. Very little was able to take more than two shots from it.

Better than me on the Chameleon then, second I put one on I have to load a save because it camos my pipboy and never ever ever turns off even if I remove the armor

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I actually tried the night vision perk. At first it was neat but when you sneak indoors it applies an extra layer of light so bright areas become even brighter and the edges of the screen become distorted as the game simulates you being blinded by bright light. it's like permanent tunnel vision for someone who sneaks a lot.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I also dislike the bright lamp PA mod when indoors. It's just too bright, washing everything out.

First time I properly tricked out a power armor suit I installed that lamp and equipped the stealth unit. Awful, nauseating experience.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Azhais posted:

Better than me on the Chameleon then, second I put one on I have to load a save because it camos my pipboy and never ever ever turns off even if I remove the armor

It goes in fits and starts for me, though its only ever on in sneak mode. I'm kinda liking how it tweaks my gameplay so my character would have to un-sneak to heal in a firefight.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
It's been a while since I last played and I'm looking at the save just before I leave Vault 111 and I have no clue what I was thinking...

SPECIAL 3,4,3,6,6,3,3
Judging by what perks this would unlock off the bat, I guess I was going with someone who could get into Settlements fast and be a jack of all trades.

Anyone have some good initial stealthy builds for survival mode?

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Robzilla posted:

It's been a while since I last played and I'm looking at the save just before I leave Vault 111 and I have no clue what I was thinking...

SPECIAL 3,4,3,6,6,3,3
Judging by what perks this would unlock off the bat, I guess I was going with someone who could get into Settlements fast and be a jack of all trades.

Anyone have some good initial stealthy builds for survival mode?

STR 3
END 1
PER 1 (2 with Bobblehead)
CHA 3
INT 6
AGI 7
LCK 3

Use the rest of your points however you like (probably intelligence or charisma if you want that trade stuff going early). Perk priorities are roughly Lone Wanderer > Rifleman > Ninja > Sneak > Gun Nut/Silent Assassin.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I sort of accidentally wiped out the rail road. And before finding Virgil too.

I was going to sell some things to Tinker Tom and after I started the conversation I pressed the left mouse button to skip the dialogue. But instead I sort of fired my gun and he sort of died and the whole railroad attacked me and now they're all dead.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Zephyrine posted:

I sort of accidentally wiped out the rail road. And before finding Virgil too.

I was going to sell some things to Tinker Tom and after I started the conversation I pressed the left mouse button to skip the dialogue. But instead I sort of fired my gun and he sort of died and the whole railroad attacked me and now they're all dead.

You should still be able to use Tinker Tom's console to decrypt the courser chip.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Speedball posted:

You should still be able to use Tinker Tom's console to decrypt the courser chip.

Oh! good!

A few other odd things that happened.

I was in a vertibird and I shot down another vertibird (because why not?)

What happened then was the vertibird I was in, turned hostile. And so when I flew over my own settlements, people and turrets opened fire on me.

My settlers have started taking all of my weapons out of the work bench, along with all the associated ammo and using them up. This including firing fatmans at close range and breaking everything in the settlements (store are apparently repaired with caps)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, Cait stole my alien blaster and ammo and ran off into the wilderness. Time to go back to storing all companions at the outpost

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is there at least a mod that deals with that poo poo?

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Do settlers/companions take things out of player-build containers also, or just the workbench?

Also, speaking of taking things that don't belong to you, I had fun doing the Synth Retention quest. I managed to snipe the raider with the fat man up on the ship then proceeded to sniper camp her corpse as other morons tried to run up and pick up the fatman.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

graynull posted:

Do settlers/companions take things out of player-build containers also, or just the workbench?

I don't keep any weapons or armor in the workbench, I have two containers next to it for "stuff I plan on selling if I can ever be bothered" and "stuff I'm keeping for whatever reason" (mostly drugs that aren't also crafting ingredients, cooked food, unique weapons). She pulled it from the latter chest.

e: as for mods I think there's one that lets you lock containers/doors so your settlers/companions can't go through them, but that's all I can think of.

Azhais fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 8, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rinkles posted:

Is there at least a mod that deals with that poo poo?

Yes, some mods teleport you to your companions, if that is what you meant.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

graynull posted:

Also, speaking of taking things that don't belong to you, I had fun doing the Synth Retention quest. I managed to snipe the raider with the fat man up on the ship then proceeded to sniper camp her corpse as other morons tried to run up and pick up the fatman.

It used to be that settlers took weapons out of containers but not the workbench but now it's the bench as well.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Can you not assign Automotron DLC player created bots to vendors? I tossed up a few basic vendor booths in a settlement, made some bots and assigned them to them. I get an option to "Trade", but that seems to be their inventory as its empty.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Mortanis posted:

Can you not assign Automotron DLC player created bots to vendors? I tossed up a few basic vendor booths in a settlement, made some bots and assigned them to them. I get an option to "Trade", but that seems to be their inventory as its empty.

I think that "Barter" is the option that you're looking for to interact with vendors.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mortanis posted:

Not really.
Companions (which all robots technically are) were not designed to do jobs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Not really.

Companions can do jobs, including manning a store. I thought a patch was supposed to have fixed robots as vendors.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Yeah, no "Barter"

I made them all Corn and Gourd bitches and just assigned my settlers to vendoring. Seems to work.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mortanis posted:

Yeah, no "Barter"

I made them all Corn and Gourd bitches and just assigned my settlers to vendoring. Seems to work.

Yeah, I put companions on guard or farming duty, most seem to be able to figure that out at least.

Not that I have a ton of luck with settlers on vendors either, it seems half the time the only dialogue option with them I have is to trade not barter unless I walk up to them a dozen times until they give their "welcome to the store" spiel then the dialogue comes up properly.

God help me if I recently fought off an attack tho, since then the literal only thing anyone will say is some variant on "thanks for helping!"

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Inzombiac posted:

Not really.

Tell that to Piper and McCready, who I have manning vendor booths in Sanctuary. And the latest patch notes mentioned that it should now be possible for your created robots to be assigned to booths.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

make sure you're actually making the robot a traveling companion before you assign it to anything. You need to do that to make it essential, maybe it needs to happen for other stuff too

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

...! posted:

Tell that to Piper and McCready, who I have manning vendor booths in Sanctuary. And the latest patch notes mentioned that it should now be possible for your created robots to be assigned to booths.

Well now I feel sheepish. I suppose I haven't tried in a long while.

Edit: I now envision Red Rocket being retrofitted as a trading emporium. Who needs sleep!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You can assign robots to booths but last time I tried, I wasn't able to buy anything from the store.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

It's still criminal that there is no official way to rename and allocate settlers in the game. Like you can build a terminal - why the hell can't you use it explicitly for assigning your settlers? That's like the only thing keeping me from running settlements whole hog. The idea of hoarding different outfits, gradually manually changing their inventory, and trying to remember who is assigned to what crop gives me sweating nightmares.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Did Mutant Hounds always howled when spotting enemies or was that later change?

Attacked a super mutant junkyard and was kinda freaked out by some noise I've never heard before

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

frajaq posted:

Attacked a super mutant junkyard and was kinda freaked out by some noise I've never heard before

I would swear that their occasional death howl is newer but I'm wrong about most things.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
I've been building large elaborate staircases at my settlements. At Greygarden I built stairs all the way up to the broken highway above and put some vendor stalls up there. I also set up a sweet rooftop bar on top of Red Rocket. It can significantly increase the available space of a few settlements.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

frajaq posted:

They've been doing that since day 1 I think. They're the mutant's alarm system! Good guard dogs!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Totally anecdotal, but I haven't played since launch and Mutant Hounds have startled the crap out of me a few times in Far Harbor and I have no recollection of them doing that in the regular game.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

NESguerilla posted:

Totally anecdotal, but I haven't played since launch and Mutant Hounds have startled the crap out of me a few times in Far Harbor and I have no recollection of them doing that in the regular game.

They've done it since launch, but the sound effect is a little weirdly done.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
Having a weird issue with running right now. While I have my weapon drawn my guy moves at his normal brisk pace (running, not walking or sprinting) but when I lower my weapon he goes to the walking animation and moves very slow. Trying caps lock actually slows him down more and when sprinting is still slower than running with my weapon up. New game so it's not gear or perk changes.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

When it comes to stores not working. Keep in mind that settlement stores open at 10 AM and close at 8 PM but the settler could still stand by the booth outside of those times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Whoa, so with Cabot House
I sided with Lorenzo. Keeping a dude locked up for 400 years so you could drain him of his immortal... juices is a messed up thing to do even if he is a psychopath.
I was clearing out Mass Pike and he was underneath examining a small pile of bodies. We had a nice chat about his study into ghouls and went on our way. Is there more to his story or will he just tinker around in the overworld now?

• Locked thread