Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Doom Eternal was already confirmed to be exclusive to it too.

I guess they plan on killing all the id franchises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ciaphas posted:

didn't bethesda just finish dragging their name through the dogshit with F76 or am i getting badly confused

No, you didn't. And for those not aware, F76 had this bag on some expensive elite special edition thing, except when the game came out, they sent out a nylon cheap garbo completely different from what was advertised and people got pissed off. Then Bethesda gives those people in-game currency worth like $2 as a way of saying sorry. People got even more pissed off. But wait, it gets better: Bethesda finally relents and lets people claim for the actual advertised bag if they sign up for their helpdesk ticket system, only for their lovely web software to then leak everyone's personal information at large.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Saoshyant posted:

No, you didn't. And for those not aware, F76 had this bag on some expensive elite special edition thing, except when the game came out, they sent out a nylon cheap garbo completely different from what was advertised and people got pissed off. Then Bethesda gives those people in-game currency worth like $2. People got even more pissed off. But wait, it gets better: Bethesda finally relents and lets people claim for the actual advertised bag if they sign up for their helpdesk ticket system, only for their lovely web software leak everyone's personal information at large.

Also they sold a $97 limited edition nuke cola dark rum, and td a cheap 5cent plastic sleeve over a cheap rum bottle lmao

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Xaris posted:

Or else quite a lot of people are going to be turning to :filez: (myself possibly included)

The lamp I want is Home Depot exclusive, but I only shop at Target. So I just stole it instead.

(Not that Bethesda isn't mega dumb)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

won't somebody think of the corporations who are all actively angling to get a bigger slice of your wallet to themselves

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

The lamp I want is Home Depot exclusive, but I only shop at Target. So I just stole it instead.

(Not that Bethesda isn't mega dumb)

Are we still doing this in 2018? :iiaca:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Muh quarterly profits

The exact same thing is happening to streaming. All big media wants a cut of that Netflix and it’s balkanizing and everything is going down in flames and torrenting traffic is once again higher than ever

Great job

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Couple pages late but the problem with CoH2's depiction of the Russian army is that it's fundamentally flawed, either by poor research or using Cold War-era propaganda as its basis. So you see repeats of myths that films like Enemy At The Gates, way back when, made popular: endless, poorly trained waves of conscripts as an attack tactic (that's not how the Red Army operated and, for that matter, basically no army ever in modern history), inferior equipment that relies on number (the T34 was a really good tank that is displayed as inferior to German armored vehicles to the point where one of their abilities is ramming) and their depiction of blocking detachments which is, to put it mildly, erroneous. While executions did occur, the idea of blocking detachments ruthlessly gunning down their own retreating troops is, once again, an extremely biased reading. Their job was kinda mundane: http://tankarchives.blogspot.com/2017/02/blocking-detachments.html

Add all of this to the way it decided to depict German armies as technologically superior and more professional than the Red Army in 1944, overall fascination with the invincible German tank myth and such, and it's really hard to say that the developers were objective in the way they approached source material. Enemy at the Gates is despised by historians for the absurdly ridiculous way in which it portrayed the Eastern Front. This is the videogame equivalent of that movie.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I already had the Epic launcher installed because they gave me a free copy of Shadow Complex. (Which reminds me, I should play Shadow Complex.) That PLUS a free copy of a survival game I've previously waffled about getting for years? Okay, thanks, Epic.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's slightly an apples to oranges comparison since the streaming services run on subscriptions so there's a discrete cost to the consumer having to use 15 different ones in order to get all the shows/movies they want, where the digital download wars are all just storefronts that are free to use in every sense except hard drive space, but yeah it's a very similar situation otherwise

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Someone is going to need to develop a launcher for all these launchers I’m going to have.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

Also they sold a $97 limited edition nuke cola dark rum, and td a cheap 5cent plastic sleeve over a cheap rum bottle lmao

The bottle itself was also plastic iirc. Which isn't great for alcohol.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Oh yes yes. Quite right. Valve should be the only storefront that can make money because they are so well known for their pro-consumer policies.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

Doom Eternal was already confirmed to be exclusive to it too.

Well played Betrüger. Well played.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Someone is going to need to develop a launcher for all these launchers I’m going to have.

Discord does that I believe or at least I think you can launch games from different storefronts.

e: doesn't tencent own both epic and discord? might be a feature that they could integrate in the epic store then

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If having separate launchers don't pan out, things will get weird for awhile and some will flare out before it settles back into a more stable arrangement. The slight inconvenience of competition is better than no competition at all. LOL at trusting anything Bethesda releases with your CC info though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Oh yes yes. Quite right. Valve should be the only storefront that can make money because they are so well known for their pro-consumer policies.

The epic launcher is fine (though it's going to need some serious UI revamps to be a big storefront, Blizzard's launcher is running into similar problems) but Bethesda simply can't be trusted with your data after the FO76 mess. It's pure incompetence.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

no one gives a poo poo if it's valve making the money or not, they don't want to have to use 15 different programs to play all the games they want because everyone's taking their balls home in an attempt to squeeze an extra 10% revenue out of the customer. it's just that valve was there first

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Do other companies besides EA and Valve have storefronts with return policies that aren't pitched as one-time exceptions?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cowcaster posted:

no one gives a poo poo if it's valve making the money or not, they don't want to have to use 15 different programs to play all the games they want because everyone's taking their balls home

What's the reasonable alternative? If you don't wanna keep giving Valve your money, then for the time being you'll have to bear the inconvenience of the 3 extra seconds added to your boot time to load Epic's launcher on startup. Or GOG Galaxy, or whatever.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Azran posted:

Couple pages late but the problem with CoH2's depiction of the Russian army is that it's fundamentally flawed, either by poor research or using Cold War-era propaganda as its basis. So you see repeats of myths that films like Enemy At The Gates, way back when, made popular: endless, poorly trained waves of conscripts as an attack tactic (that's not how the Red Army operated and, for that matter, basically no army ever in modern history), inferior equipment that relies on number (the T34 was a really good tank that is displayed as inferior to German armored vehicles to the point where one of their abilities is ramming) and their depiction of blocking detachments which is, to put it mildly, erroneous.
The idea that the barbaric Slavs were a bunch of zombie orcs who overwhelmed the civilized Aryans by having more men than the Germans had bullets is the province of Wehraboo's and Nazis. But I repeat myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m4SCUaBHS8

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Valve should be the only storefront that can make money because they are so well known for their pro-consumer policies.

But they are? Regional pricing, loving refunds, allowing easy mod integration, Linux compatibility out of the box. None of that stuff exists on any of those other lovely launchers. Hell, they don't even allow user reviews because god forbid people find out a game is bad before buying, the shareholders don't like that.

A lovely strawman is a lovely strawman, dude.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Fallom posted:

Do other companies besides EA and Valve have storefronts with return policies that aren't pitched as one-time exceptions?

I believe GoG has a pretty decent refund policy. It does require you to have issues running the game, however.

They're also super sticklers for system requirements though and we know those can be outright lies.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

What's the reasonable alternative? If you don't wanna keep giving Valve your money, then for the time being you'll have to bear the inconvenience of the 3 extra seconds added to your boot time to load Epic's launcher on startup. Or GOG Galaxy, or whatever.

i just said that whether valve is getting your money or not is irrelevant and i don't know how this question follows off of that

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

exquisite tea posted:

Does anyone other than steam have a good in-house streaming, library sharing or a brand-agnostic controller configuration system built in? (Not to mention existing friends list, games library and wallet)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

DatonKallandor posted:

Does anyone other than steam have a good in-house streaming, library sharing or a brand-agnostic controller configuration system built in? (Not to mention existing friends list, games library and wallet)

I'll answer with a question of my own: does anyone know offhand if any of these features still work with games added to steam externally as launch shortcuts or whatever, or does it have to be Steamworks or otherwise integrated into Valve's ecosystem

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Just like with Google and Facebook, the solution is (inter)nationalization. :ussr:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fallom posted:

The Epic store is going to have 14 day no questions asked refund window

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

The Epic store is going to have 14 day no questions asked refund window

That can only be used twice ever, if you read the fine print.

quote:

How do refunds work on the Epic Games store?
We will offer two no-questions-asked refunds per player within two weeks of purchase.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

That can only be used twice ever, if you read the fine print.

Ew, gently caress them then

That might not be very legal in the EU though.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Literally the only thing I care about is regional pricing, so Steam and GoG are still my options, and GMG for keys seller.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
No one opening an online storefront is looking to allow people refunds. Steam set the mold and no one is looking to champion customer rights, just try and chip away at the biggest rear end in a top hat to become as big an rear end in a top hat.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

from the way that's phrased, do they have a different refund policy in place after the first two? it sounds like that might just be two freebie "hey you played 80 hours of this game in the two weeks you owned it but we'll still refund it for you no questions asked"

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Saoshyant posted:

Regional pricing
How is this a good thing for the consumer? With the last 2 years or so worth of changes I can't gift people, I pay more for games on steam, and a bunch of abandoned games can't be bought in many countries because no one will set a price in the new currency.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Xander77 posted:

How is this a good thing for the consumer? With the last 2 years or so worth of changes I can't gift people, I pay more for games on steam, and a bunch of abandoned games can't be bought in many countries because no one will set a price in the new currency.

I don't have to pay as much to play games just because my Clown Money lost ten times its value in relation to the US dollar.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

from the way that's phrased, do they have a different refund policy in place after the first two? it sounds like that might just be two freebie "hey you played 80 hours of this game in the two weeks you owned it but we'll still refund it for you no questions asked"

I believe they clarified in an interview after that post those two it's only what the laws says they have to.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Haha, Bethesda is going to sink Rage and Doom by tying it to their own launcher. Nothing sells a game like limiting visibility of it to its audience, and everyone who would know Bethesda is making its own launcher has heard of them leaking credit card information during the ongoing 76 clusterfuck.

I'm an odd duck here because I use, and have found great games on, the discovery queue, and find Steam reviews useful when taken as an aggregate. While the discovery queue is jam packed full of poo poo, every once in a while I'll find a gem I wouldn't have found any other way, like Cave Blazers and In Celebration of Violence. The reviews saved me money that I would have blown on Just Cause 4, and the reviews for small, obscure indie games are more accurate than not because the crowd who seeks out small indie games doesn't have as many hooting assholes as the audience for AAA titles. I've even written a few for small games to push them toward better visibility on the platform. The trick is to read a few and see what they have in common; if one person bitches that the enemies are cheap and it's too hard, that's nothing. If ten people list that as a problem, it probably is one. I'm going to check out Epic's launcher tonight, because I wouldn't blame any indie developers for jumping ship for a better slice of the pie, but their launcher not having reviews, at least, is not great.

Curators are loving useless, though. Come to think of it, Valve is pretty loving useless, too.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Steam reviews are useful if you read five positive and five negative and figure out who seems to write closer to your concerns and who seems to be an rear end in a top hat (either shill or whiner)

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

OutOfPrint posted:

Haha, Bethesda is going to sink Rage and Doom by tying it to their own launcher. Nothing sells a game like limiting visibility of it to its audience, and everyone who would know Bethesda is making its own launcher has heard of them leaking credit card information during the ongoing 76 clusterfuck.

They can always just make them timed exclusives if that doesn't really work out and put them on Steam once early adopters try out their new storefront, but obviously that still risks people not being interested anymore (or not wanting to pay full price) once the release hype cycle is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

wait what the gently caress doom eternal won't be on steam???????