Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
It's the fake president you do it to in VIII, but you have to wait until he goes from fake president form to goop zombie form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

SkeletonHero posted:

It's the fake president you do it to in VIII, but you have to wait until he goes from fake president form to goop zombie form.

That was it. My brain kept going zombie train but i remembered that the only zombie train in 8 was the summon.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Zero_Grade posted:

In a similar vein, X-Zone in FFVI can instantly kill most anything in the game, including most bosses if you cast Vanish on them first. Now this isn't all that useful generally speaking because it doesn't result in any xp/gold/items dropping. However, X-Zone does have one very funny use regarding bosses. If you cast it on Wrexsoul, it one-shots him 100% of the time and you get full credit. I looked up the mechanics of his fight a few years back and think was intended to be a bit of a tough fight, but I've never beaten him the 'legit' way.

Wrexsoul's gimmick is dumb and poorly-explained. It's not exactly hard, but it is tedious, because you have to kill your own party members to flush him out of cover, and IIRC you have to kill a specific (random, un-indicated) party member. The randomizers generally just prevent him from hiding in the first place, which makes the fight uninteresting but quick.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Zero_Grade posted:

In a similar vein, X-Zone in FFVI can instantly kill most anything in the game, including most bosses if you cast Vanish on them first. Now this isn't all that useful generally speaking because it doesn't result in any xp/gold/items dropping. However, X-Zone does have one very funny use regarding bosses. If you cast it on Wrexsoul, it one-shots him 100% of the time and you get full credit. I looked up the mechanics of his fight a few years back and think was intended to be a bit of a tough fight, but I've never beaten him the 'legit' way.

I do have one question about the Wrexsoul fight that I don't think will ever actually be answered: is the fight SUPPOSED to end if you cast X-Zone when Wrexsoul is possessing someone and it removes his two helpers from the fight, or is that just a side effect of X-Zone removing both enemies from the fight at the same time (so no enemies are on the field) rather than killing and respawning them one at a time.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure it's just a side-effect. The game goes "no enemy units left, battle must be over" and kicks you out. Lore-wise most people beat the game with one of their party members being possessed by a malevolent undead thingy that preys on guilt. I'm sure it's fine.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

ZeusCannon posted:

That was it. My brain kept going zombie train but i remembered that the only zombie train in 8 was the summon.

You do fight him on a train, to be fair.

Also Doomtrain kicked rear end and needs to make a comeback.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

You fight it in FF14 if that counts. Can't suplex it, though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Marcade posted:

You fight it in FF14 if that counts. Can't suplex it, though.

Does that even count as fighting it then

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
You can't suplex ANYTHING in ff14, it's bullshit

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

In a just world the monk lb3 would be suplexing the target, alas we are a world of sinners

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

If FF14 won't let you suplex stuff because it would ruin the flow of raid fights, then you should be allowed to suplex the spirit of another monster into the boss a la dragoons and their jump ability. one of those monsters should be a ghost train.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

bawk posted:

If FF14 won't let you suplex stuff because it would ruin the flow of raid fights, then you should be allowed to suplex the spirit of another monster into the boss a la dragoons and their jump ability. one of those monsters should be a ghost train.

FF14 boss fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mpg2mIjvmE

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My understanding is that "suplex the ghost train" just isn't a meme in Japan the way it is in the US (not in the least because the move isn't called Suplex in Japanese.) I recall hearing the FF14 team was kind of befuddled to hear about it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

SkeletonHero posted:

Also a less memorable boss named Abadon who attacks you outside Esthar City during the period when Edea is still in the party. Squall even points out that it's undead and suggests using recovery based magic but doesn't say outright that casting revive will instakill it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

My understanding is that "suplex the ghost train" just isn't a meme in Japan the way it is in the US (not in the least because the move isn't called Suplex in Japanese.) I recall hearing the FF14 team was kind of befuddled to hear about it.

I mean it kind of screams "American"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ImpAtom posted:

Apropos to this situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAFpzvPxcTI

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SkeletonHero posted:

There was another boss that you could do this too, before you enter Esthar. I believe Squall even has a line about using restoration magic against it.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Casting Regen on a zombie is the closest you'll ever get to a boss actually being vulnerable to Poison.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

poo poo baby, the final boss of FF13 is very vulnerable to poison.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Omega, one of the superbosses in FF5, can be tagged with the HP Leak effect, which decreases its HP in real time. It just wears off after only a few game ticks. But if you cast Quick, which gives you two back-to-back turns, then you can impose the leak effect on Omega, then sit there and wait for several realtime minutes. No ticks will pass, so Omega won't recover from the status effect, and eventually it'll die.

I understand that later versions of the game fix this exploit, as well as several other strategies that make the boss feasible without grinding to crazy high levels.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's super fun busting the poo poo out of Omega with a super-buffed party of dual-wielding spellblades, burning all your elixirs because Exdeath is a joke.

Grinding in FF5 is cool and fun and good.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Nameless Pete posted:

Casting Regen on a zombie is the closest you'll ever get to a boss actually being vulnerable to Poison.

Misread this as "Casting Reagan as a zombie" and was very, very confused. :stare:

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Every boss in OFF is not only vulnerable to poison, but poison does percentage-based damage so they are extra-susceptible to it. This includes the final boss.

Just another reason why OFF is the greatest JRPG ever made.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

SkeletonHero posted:

Every boss in OFF is not only vulnerable to poison, but poison does percentage-based damage so they are extra-susceptible to it. This includes the final boss.

Just another reason why OFF is the greatest JRPG ever made.

For a moment I thought I was in the corporate Megathread or the Dumb poo poo your work does thread.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

street fighter 6 lets you beat the absolute poo poo out of cops, which is praxis

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nameless Pete posted:

A lot of bosses in FF7Remake are actually susceptible to poison and sleep.

I think the UI just doesn't do a good enough job showing that because it just shows resistances but doesn't have a line showing the stuff it's not resistant to.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm finally getting around to playing Assassin's Creed Black Flag and I was weirded out at first by the subtitles having lots of odd capitalization, like "It's no Bother. Regrettably, these Soldiers confiscated my Sugar. And your Dispatches." But after some research, it looks like the devs were specifically referencing the writing style (as well as some archaic terminology) of several hundred years ago including a particular reference book on Pyracy. Pretty cool.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Jaysus!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

jokes posted:

What kind of game designer names their final boss poo poo baby?,

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Son of Rodney posted:

What kind of game designer names their final boss poo poo baby?,

Edmund McMillen

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

jokes posted:

That's a weird name for a boss.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
lol

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RareAcumen posted:

A lot of bosses in FF7Remake are actually susceptible to poison and sleep.

I think the UI just doesn't do a good enough job showing that because it just shows resistances but doesn't have a line showing the stuff it's not resistant to.

FF4 has a similar problem with Break, at least as a status effect. The spell has a nifty effect, but Medusa arrows just look like they arbitrarily kill enemies at random. The only indication I’ve noticed other than that is (weirdly enough) floating enemies will stop bobbing up and down if and only if they die from stone status.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Dewgy posted:

FF4 has a similar problem with Break, at least as a status effect. The spell has a nifty effect, but Medusa arrows just look like they arbitrarily kill enemies at random. The only indication I’ve noticed other than that is (weirdly enough) floating enemies will stop bobbing up and down if and only if they die from stone status.

Part of the issue there is that status effects from weapons basically only proc if they hit right after the enemy takes their turn, when their ATB is empty. FF4, like many RPGs, is held together by spit and hope.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I feel like this is practically a series staple. You can do it to the train in FF6, for example, though of course you should wait until after you've suplexed it. I want to say there's a boss you can do this to in 5, and I know you can do it in Mystic Quest, twice.

It turns out that a lot of bosses and normal enemies in MQ can be killed instantly one way or another. If petrification doesn't work (Dragon Claw, Heal spell when used on enemies has petrification as a possible result) then instant death might (Life spell when used on enemies in the U.S. version or undead enemies in other versions). If instant death doesn't work then trying to erase the target from existence might (Exit spell when used on enemies - removes all XP and gold as a reward though).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Part of the issue there is that status effects from weapons basically only proc if they hit right after the enemy takes their turn, when their ATB is empty. FF4, like many RPGs, is held together by spit and hope.

Ahahahahahaha... that's adorable, you think FF4 had rope helping hold it together (the ATB in 4 is hilariously buggy, and even more so in the GBA version).

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

In Dave the Diver, you have a "buddy" (who is severely Otaku-brained) who will help you craft/enhance guns for use on diving excursions. Like making a very, very large net gun for capturing tons of fishes at once or for capturing one single fish without hurting it, which gives more meat for use at the restaurant. Or a three-shot underwater shotgun that will absolutely gently caress up a shark or whatever other kind of thing you point at it. Whenever you craft or enhance a gun, it gives you a little mini montage of this Hifumi Yamada-looking motherfucker filling gunpowder into bullet casings and taking apart/putting together rifles while wearing a Not-Sailor-Moon shirt with his Not-Hatsune-Miku figurines in the background. It's such a goofy character. :allears: But because of all this information about him, he gives immediate and strong Anti-ATF vibes. Like this guy's sitting on a pile of "for diving use" sniper rifles at home, and he doesn't want the government to know.

One of the nights after the sushi restaurant closes up, instead of the day just ticking over to the next day, you get a brief cutscene of our otaku gunsmith getting ready for bed in his goon lair (pizza box on the floor, unmade bed, anime figurines abound, putting on his anime-eyes sleeping mask and laying next to his body-pillow) when he starts dreaming about attending a concert put on by his Not-Hatsune-Miku dolls. You actually play a short little rhythm minigame while a generic J-POP song plays, waving these different colored glow sticks in the air in rhythm with the music. When he first starts dreaming, a blue glow stick passes by his left ear and then a red glow stick passes by his right ear, which happens again at some point in the dream, and I thought for sure this bastard was going to federal prison. :ducksiren:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Morpheus posted:

Syndicate also was during the time when multiplayer modes were bolted onto anything and everything, no one played it, and so immediately that mode became dead weight for the game.

The coop was actually a good PayDay-esque mini campaign

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The final (proper) boss of Yakuza LAD/7 is somewhat vulnerable to poison, and it's a rather good idea to be using it since they've got an absolute fuckton of health to chip away at. Just as well they don't have any self-healing or status recovery, that was always a 'oh gently caress you' moment in RPG boss fights.

The real little thing is said final boss has a dragon motif like Kiryu, who of course you also fight as a threshold boss earlier- one who may well be harder than the final boss, but at least you don't have a whole gauntlet to get to him as he politely waits for you to be ready. And given the copious Dragon Quest references in the game, both have elemental weaknesses apparently common to dragons of their tattoos' colour; Kiryu is a red dragon weak to ice, and Tendo is a blue dragon weak to lightning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's always amusing to me when you're playing a JRPG with the rent-a-party you know is gonna get murked in the opening chapter and their names are like Bubb, Flubb, Roxie, and Lord Machiavelli Oppenheimer. Gee, I wonder who the turncoat is going to be...