Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Why do I have to look up the process to do something simple like easily delete a loving email instead of archiving it? :psyduck:

I'm already getting more used to using the phone though. I definitely like imessages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

fknlo posted:

Why do I have to look up the process to do something simple like easily delete a loving email instead of archiving it? :psyduck:

I'm already getting more used to using the phone though. I definitely like imessages.

imessage is perfect. plus, i trust apple not to rename it and replace it with a new app every 18 months.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mediaphage posted:

imessage is perfect. plus, i trust apple not to rename it and replace it with a new app every 18 months.

Yeah somehow hangouts has survived for quite a while and is generally good, but pretty sure it's on borrowed time at this point

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I really wish they would make a push towards making iMessage cross platform so I can drag my friends onto it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

mediaphage posted:

As someone with dual sims, Messages is... not great at dealing with two separate phone numbers.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

fknlo posted:

Mail.app? Do this.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

That ended up being the answer. Is the gmail app any good or not worth using over the mail one?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

fknlo posted:

If you delete your emails then how are providers supposed to make money off of content scans?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fknlo posted:

That ended up being the answer. Is the gmail app any good or not worth using over the mail one?

I use the gmail app.

I have up on mail.app.

I don’t like the ads in the gmail app but whatever on that.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Unsurprisingly, the Gmail app gives a very good Gmail experience.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

fknlo posted:

I didn't find it very different from gmail on android. It's good.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

fknlo posted:

Uhh all you have to do is swipe left to delete and right to archive. Like Tinder.

E: Wait, I’m confused. Those instructions tell you how to change the swipe gestures. But by default left = delete and right = archive. Although, I’m pretty sure iOS 13 made a dumb change that hid the delete and archive buttons (and collapsed them into the reply button...) but iOS 14 fixes that.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 8, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Uhh all you have to do is swipe left to delete and right to archive. Like Tinder.

E: Wait, I’m confused. Those instructions tell you how to change the swipe gestures. But by default left = delete and right = archive. Although, I’m pretty sure iOS 13 made a dumb change that hid the delete and archive buttons (and collapsed them into the reply button...) but iOS 14 fixes that.

Delete wasn't an option when swiping left and you still have to swipe left and then click delete.

Is there a way to mark and block spam callers? You just did a long press on android and it brought the option up if it wasn't already marked as spam but that doesn't seem to be an option here.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

the default is swipe left to archive and right to mark read/unread. delete is not a default action

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

As someone with dual sims, Messages is... not great at dealing with two separate phone numbers.

i admit that is an apparent failure but pretty edge case in terms of having two separate apple message accounts, each with its own number, on the same phone.

perhaps dual sim support will be getting better as apple is more open about embracing it.

fknlo posted:

i only use the gmail app, as i don't like the mail app for multiple emails; i'm pretty wishy-washy about it. fortunately i am grandfathered into free domain hosted gmail so i don't get any gmail ads on web or in app.

i do hate how it steadfastly pretends like i forget what to tell it to do in re opening links. "Oh, you want to use *safari* to open this? I will totally remember that next time."

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
I have an appointment tomorrow for a battery and screen replacement on my Xs before AC+ expires. Any ideas how long the job will take? Is there a chance they’d swap out the device for a refurb to expedite the process?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

mediaphage posted:

i admit that is an apparent failure but pretty edge case in terms of having two separate apple message accounts, each with its own number, on the same phone.

perhaps dual sim support will be getting better as apple is more open about embracing it.

Yeah my current workaround is to simply not use iMessage on my 2nd (work) line and that does a good enough job of separating messages. It gets tricky when messaging co-workers outside of work since your can’t just switch between what number you’re texting from.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

dutchbstrd posted:

I have an appointment tomorrow for a battery and screen replacement on my Xs before AC+ expires. Any ideas how long the job will take? Is there a chance they’d swap out the device for a refurb to expedite the process?

The battery on my daughter's 6 took 4-5 hours. It's definitely a drop off and come back later thing. But that was also during the discounted 6 battery deal thing, so maybe the queue was longer than usual.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Weedle posted:

the default is swipe left to archive and right to mark read/unread. delete is not a default action
my personal and work exchange accounts both have "Trash" as the default action for swiping from right to left. gmail accounts (and others, probably?) default to archive.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I just want an option to disable swiping on the lock screen to open the camera. Can't tell you how many hundreds of times I accidentally launch the camera trying to swipe away notifications.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

TraderStav posted:

I just want an option to disable swiping on the lock screen to open the camera. Can't tell you how many hundreds of times I accidentally launch the camera trying to swipe away notifications.

i never accidentally open the camera but i can't count the number of times i've taken my phone out of my pocket to discover that the flashlight has been on for an indeterminate period of time

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'd like a telepathic link for those times I just want to use the camera or timer so it doesn't log in me as soon as I press the home button

(I could just use the power button to turn on the screen instead, but that's slightly less convenient/fast)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Start swiping from the middle of the notification instead of the edge.

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

If I'm gonna get the new SE, is there any reason to wait for the new phones to be announced?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

devilmonk posted:

If I'm gonna get the new SE, is there any reason to wait for the new phones to be announced?

Well, if your budget is at all flexible, an OLED full screen phone that's physically smaller than the SE for a couple hundred bucks more may be tempting.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

devilmonk posted:

I mean yeah? Do you need it right now? We aren’t that far off from the new phones and it’s possible they make a small phone that you like.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The battery on my daughter's 6 took 4-5 hours. It's definitely a drop off and come back later thing. But that was also during the discounted 6 battery deal thing, so maybe the queue was longer than usual.

Good to know, thanks. Hopefully it goes faster. Or they give me a refurb.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

devilmonk posted:

Might as well just wait another month to see your options unless you absolutely need a new phone now.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Do I have something misconfigured or are the software update notifications super aggressive? I’m on 13.6.1 and this is popping up multiple times an hour.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

beefnoodle posted:

Do I have something misconfigured or are the software update notifications super aggressive? I’m on 13.6.1 and this is popping up multiple times an hour.

This feature seems so wildly inconsistent across the devices in my house that I don't actually know what's normal/expected here :(

I haven't ever seen it that insistent though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

astral posted:

Start swiping from the middle of the notification instead of the edge.

If I start in the middle it doesn't swipe far enough to dismiss the notification. So I move a little to the right to begin. When you're dismissing multiple (but don't want to hit them all as to use the X) imprecision comes in and you drift even more to the right.

It just sucks and would easily be fixed by a toggle in settings. Not looking for Android level customization here.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
My AirPods Pro just got updated with Spatial Audio (I’m on iOS 14 beta if it matters) and this poo poo is crazy. I had to ask someone if they could hear anything out of my phone just to convince myself that the sound wasn’t coming out of my phone speakers.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

My AirPods Pro just got updated with Spatial Audio (I’m on iOS 14 beta if it matters) and this poo poo is crazy. I had to ask someone if they could hear anything out of my phone just to convince myself that the sound wasn’t coming out of my phone speakers.

Wait what?? I need to know more!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yeah that was one of those things for me that was like “sigh, if it’s as good as they claim, guess I’m buying AirPod Pros...”

Isn’t there an Apple iPhone press event today?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pivo posted:

Yeah that was one of those things for me that was like “sigh, if it’s as good as they claim, guess I’m buying AirPod Pros...”

Isn’t there an Apple iPhone press event today?

Afaik iPad / watch only.

Phone in October last I heard.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Oh that actually makes sense then. It was touted more as an iPad feature anyway, movies on the plane and all that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
We should get a date on iOS 14 and WatchOS 7. Maybe Big Sur as well.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can you notice any difference in the noise cancellation? When I bought my Pros, the cancellation was amazing, but then over the summer there was a firmware update that I think tuned it down. Other users on the Apple message boards reported it too. I was hoping the update coming out with the spatial audio would crank it back up a bit.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Wait what?? I need to know more!

Not sure what you’re asking but Spatial Audio fixes the audio source in place no matter how you turn your head, so it always sounds like it’s coming from the phone. I don’t know how to force the firmware to update but once it does you can watch Apple TV+ shows with this feature. Doesn’t seem to work with YouTube and I haven’t tried Netflix/Hulu/HBO yet but I hope they just need to push an update to make it work.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Can you notice any difference in the noise cancellation? When I bought my Pros, the cancellation was amazing, but then over the summer there was a firmware update that I think tuned it down. Other users on the Apple message boards reported it too. I was hoping the update coming out with the spatial audio would crank it back up a bit.

I haven’t paid enough attention to notice any difference. I’ve read all the tech blog posts about the noise cancellation though I just can’t comment on it as it’s “good enough” for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Not sure what you’re asking but Spatial Audio fixes the audio source in place no matter how you turn your head, so it always sounds like it’s coming from the phone. I don’t know how to force the firmware to update but once it does you can watch Apple TV+ shows with this feature. Doesn’t seem to work with YouTube and I haven’t tried Netflix/Hulu/HBO yet but I hope they just need to push an update to make it work.

I haven’t paid enough attention to notice any difference. I’ve read all the tech blog posts about the noise cancellation though I just can’t comment on it as it’s “good enough” for me.

What the hell! That’s awesome. Can’t wait to try that out.