Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Fister Roboto posted:

Almost as if they started out being written by a man who was in his late 20s when the story started and is now in his 30s.

I dunno, seems a bit metafictional...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Rand Brittain posted:

I would have to look pretty hard to find a book where kids don't act several years in advance of their stated ages.

I'd recommend Paranatural if you are looking for that.

(I'd you weren't I'd still recommend it anyway)

Edit: or Scarygoround, or Gunnerkrigg Court.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 22, 2015

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Guys if it wasnt for Act 6 we would never have gotten this magical sequence.
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006865
Bathe in it. Enjoy the feeling. It is vile.

Caliborn: Great character or GREATEST character? You decide, but it's definitely one of the two.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 22, 2015

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Caliborn: Great character or GREATEST character? You decide, but it's defiantly one of the two.
Caliborn is pretty defiant most of the time, you're right. You could say he's definitely defiant.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

GREATEST character?

Impossible as long as Karkat exists.

John too, in a way.

Only a great character.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Bell_ posted:

I'd recommend Paranatural if you are looking for that.

(I'd you weren't I'd still recommend it anyway)

Edit: or Scarygoround, or Gunnerkrigg Court.

Ditto, ditto and ditto. Paranatural in particular. The current page features a character trying to use band-aids to cover a very serious injury because "She is both extremely resourceful and extremely twelve years old."

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
remember when homestuck updated constantly?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Wyld Karde posted:

Ditto, ditto and ditto. Paranatural in particular. The current page features a character trying to use band-aids to cover a very serious injury because "She is both extremely resourceful and extremely twelve years old."

All of these still generally act way older than what they look, particularly when it comes to vocabulary. It's kind of inevitable since it'd get a bit old to have them thinking and talking like little kids all the time.

Then there's of course It Hurts! that gets little kids being idiots 100% faithfully.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Eh, when I was a kid, I always felt that if the kid characters weren't small adults they were acting annoyingly young and stupid for their supposed age and that annoyed me way more, so it goes both ways.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
see the truth is that adults are generally just large kids with a little more life experience and education

some of them even learn from it :haw:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Paranatural is great but everybody in it is vastly wittier than a real twelve-year-old.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yep, as I said it kinda has to be that way to keep the writing interesting.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Rand Brittain posted:

Paranatural is great but everybody in it is vastly wittier than a real twelve-year-old.

Exactly as witty as most twelve year olds think they are though

I mean poo poo it's not like the majority of adults are out there winning awards for comedy either. Most of our friends/family/co-workers are still rote quoting Python and finding it pants-wettingly funny, for example.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Renaissance Robot posted:

Exactly as witty as most twelve year olds think they are though

I mean poo poo it's not like the majority of adults are out there winning awards for comedy either. Most of our friends/family/co-workers are still rote quoting Python and finding it pants-wettingly funny, for example.

So the story is being told from the perspective of the kids, and they seem wittier than they actually are because they embellish the story a lot?

Well that explains the Vice Principal's nose.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rand Brittain posted:

poo poo this fantasy story features characters that are much more interesting and intelligent than average children of their age.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

poo poo this fantasy story features characters that are much more interesting and intelligent than average children of their age.

This conversation started by someone recommending Paranatural as a thing where kid characters acted their age. And that's crazy inaccurate.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nobody is complaining about it, I think? It was just an observation someone made.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I've known kids that were smarter and wiser than most adults; and adults that were dumber and duller than most kids.

Anyone who has some parents among their facebook friends will know that stories about average, normal kids are incredibly boring.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm confused. (Welcome to Homestuck, enjoy your stay.) Right before the "rocks fall, everyone dies" events leading up to GAME OVER, how old were the kids? Everybody who was on the meteor is 16, right? What about Dave (original-formula Dave) and the alpha kids?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Stories about adults usually feature people who are more interesting and witty than regular people. 100% faithful dialogue is hard since it'd consist mostly of people talking over each other, saying half a sentence before stopping, going back to finish a point nobody cares about, all the noisy minutia that people only half-listen to.

Being able to write children well doesn't necessarily mean writing them exactly how children act and sound, but rather as a recognizably childish version of a fictional character. Homestuck characters are more larger-than-life caricatures (even their home lives before the game were pretty exaggerated) but they have little bits of relatable immaturity in there that makes them good child characters, and as they grow up to be teenagers there's a recognizable transition.

Paranatural has the same goofy stuff but likes to cut a little closer to the bone from time to time, with the example where the character Isabel gets her arm badly cut but due to a difficult home life hides it from her grandfather and tries to patch it up with a bunch of band-aids. Admittedly her arm was cut by a ghost and her father is a kung fu master, but it's the recognizable logic of a child that makes it good writing.

Edit - everyone was 16, which is a confusing point for the trolls with their weird alien lifespans. Although for some reason John traveled three years back in time and is the same height as everyone else, and is also the same height as the Alpha kids.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 22, 2015

KoB
May 1, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm confused. (Welcome to Homestuck, enjoy your stay.) Right before the "rocks fall, everyone dies" events leading up to GAME OVER, how old were the kids? Everybody who was on the meteor is 16, right? What about Dave (original-formula Dave) and the alpha kids?

Everyone is 16.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Alpha kids, beta kids, and Alternian trolls are all now sixteen. Beforan trolls died at nineteen.

Calliope and Caliborn were eleven when the adventure started, not sure how long Caliborn has been on his own.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

KoB posted:

Everyone is 16.

Except for ghosts, anyway. Vriska was still 13 before she was revived.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.

Dolash posted:

Edit - everyone was 16, which is a confusing point for the trolls with their weird alien lifespans. Although for some reason John traveled three years back in time and is the same height as everyone else, and is also the same height as the Alpha kids.

Character heights are never meant to be 100% accurate, whether drawn in hero mode or in a more symbolic manner.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I think Dave's been being drawn taller than the other kids in his cohort lately. It may just be that he's perma-hero.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Remember that Gamzee is in fact the shortest troll of them all.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Karkat looks shorter there. :shrug:

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Kgummy posted:

Karkat looks shorter there. :shrug:

That's because Gamzee is standing on cartoonishly long stilts, duh

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Based on this page, I wonder if the wallet will be used to captchalogue the green sun itself. If it stops being there entirely, and somehow gets retconned from existence, things could get pretty weird.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Confirmed: Jake actually doesn't know how babies are made.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
That wallet bugs me. I like to imagine it was just a dying Terezi having one last little giggle pranking John by making him accomplice to his own robbery, but more realistically I assume the lack of it will at some point gently caress things up for everybody in a big way and more retjohnning will be required to fix it.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Zoe posted:

That wallet bugs me. I like to imagine it was just a dying Terezi having one last little giggle pranking John by making him accomplice to his own robbery, but more realistically I assume the lack of it will at some point gently caress things up for everybody in a big way and more retjohnning will be required to fix it.

More likely, the "her" doesn't refer to Terezi at all, but rather someone John meets much later in a later scene that future Terezi managed to foresee.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

TheDemon posted:

More likely, the "her" doesn't refer to Terezi at all, but rather someone John meets much later in a later scene that future Terezi managed to foresee.

probably Calliope

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So to jump in quick, I got linked to part of the Midnight crew intermission and read through some of that before I was very lost and started reading homestuck from the beginning.

I'm now up to act 4 and continuing to power through despite being very confused. Good kind of confused though. Now i'm starting to get frustrated with how the trolls talk. It was merely annoying when they only had a few conversations. Now they're conversing with each other and it makes my eyes hurt.

Will check back in once i'm caught up and rereading it, because I know I'm going to have to reread it.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

M_Gargantua posted:

So to jump in quick, I got linked to part of the Midnight crew intermission and read through some of that before I was very lost and started reading homestuck from the beginning.

I'm now up to act 4 and continuing to power through despite being very confused. Good kind of confused though. Now i'm starting to get frustrated with how the trolls talk. It was merely annoying when they only had a few conversations. Now they're conversing with each other and it makes my eyes hurt.

Will check back in once i'm caught up and rereading it, because I know I'm going to have to reread it.

Here is your warning. The trolls will continue to talk, more and more. And more. You are poised on a precipice above a yawning abyss of troll speech and typing quirks. :getin:

However, I believe there used to be some browser extensions that translated the trolls' quirks into regular text, but I don't have any links and I'm not sure if they've been maintained. Someone else in the thread might have a better idea.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
They don't work for the walkarounds in any case. You're better off just squinting a bit and not concentrating too hard.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I don't understand how people have difficulty reading the troll's typing quirks. Did all of you discover the internet after the early 2000's, and miss out on the heyday of L337 5P34K?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I don't understand how people have difficulty reading the troll's typing quirks. Did all of you discover the internet after the early 2000's, and miss out on the heyday of L337 5P34K?
Mituna is the only one that was at all hard for me.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm pretty sure mituna's speech is supposed to be impossible to parse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I occasionally had difficulty with Feferi's but she has so few lines it didn't really matter.