Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

yeah one of the local tribes came by trying to sell me a brachiosaur with a bad back and I was still very tempted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Buy it and put in a bionic spine.

Funny how the same bionic spine fits both a rat and a brachiosaur, but I guess that is the future.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It telescopes out so you can get the right length

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Casually employing Mechagodzilla as a draft animal is peak Rimworld

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Anyone got a good door mat mod? The only two I can find apparently don't work with Rocketman :(

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Danaru posted:

It telescopes out so you can get the right length

I thought it was cut-to-fit.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
Welp, my interest in difficulty results in nothing but colony deaths... I can't decide if I am doing this right or wrong.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Just had maybe the least effective drop pod raid I've ever seen. I had a sizeable mechanoid cluster, so I set up a bunch of sandbags and whatnot as you do, and started the fight. We were doing pretty well and maybe ⅓ of the mechs were down when I get the message that a drop pod raid is arriving. This is potentially very bad because most of my combat people are outside the walls fighting the mechs. So depending on where they land, they might pin my guys against the mechs, or they might have close to free reign in the base, and even if not they'll have plenty of time to beat on my walls and stuff.

Nope! One dozen idiots landed on pretty much the halfway point between my fortifications and the mechs, and proceeded to die at an unbelievable rate. I am not sure if us and the mechs even fired directly at these chumps, they just got immediately disintegrated by us real armies throwing actual grown-up ordnance at each other.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 11, 2024

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

stopgap1 posted:

Welp, my interest in difficulty results in nothing but colony deaths... I can't decide if I am doing this right or wrong.

Well, first you've got to define what difficulty you're doing, since there's a lot of dials to turn. A strive to survive naked brutality game in a desert is substantially harder than a blood and dust crashlanded game in a temperate forest, for example, despite the latter being on a technically higher difficulty setting.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
I always play on 'Adventure Story'. I still find the game probably a little too difficult, but less so than 'strive to survive'. I tried Strive to Survive once and got raided by raiders with charge lances and sniper rifles while I was still in the stone age, I then reloaded to the last autosave and instead got raided by an incredible mechanoid army. I didn't even have great bows!

In a game, one's first priority is generally, to build a nice base; which might mean giving a silver-furnished room to your ruler pawn, or making sure that the common area is full of nice statues or whatever. I think the game just looks at the value of a silver bed, and equates that to the equivalent value of weapon and then assumes that your base is some sort of incredible, mighty fortress with hundreds of turrets. Similarly, if you have 7 pawns, and 4 of them cannot fight, I don't think the game understands that and registers them all as equally as your strongest guy.

I think the only way to survive hard difficulties is by purposefully building shoddy bases and making sure you kill off babies and pawns who are useless in combat, which just sounds miserable to me. I say stick with the easier modes!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Chatrapati posted:

In a game, one's first priority is generally, to build a nice base; which might mean giving a silver-furnished room to your ruler pawn, or making sure that the common area is full of nice statues or whatever.

i don't think that's a universal constant

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah, that's an atypical way to play. You can find a middle ground between spray coating one guy's entire room with silver as a caveman and murdering the weak the instant they're born Sparta style.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
You can make a room nice with some carpet and a nice armchair, I think gilding every room like a pharaohs tomb might be the issue

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah the problem there is that if you have hostile factions who'd love to steal your poo poo, then having 0 combat capable pawns while rolling in silver means the enemy is happy sending higher cost raids at you - supposedly.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You don't have to build shoddy bases for wealth management to be part of your strategy. Ideally your ruler pawn is not starting off sleeping on a silver bed when they're just an acolyte, in fact I don't think that a silver bed is even a good value proposition - the beauty bonus for using silver for a bed is negligible compared to having a sculpture anywhere in the room.

You can also try to routinely ship trade goods away via caravan or drop pod, letting too much stuff accumulate may invite disaster. Also, don't mass-claim everything on the map since that will shoot up your wealth for no benefit.

4 pawns that can't fight out of 7 is a really bad ratio, I don't usually allow myself to have more than 1. You don't need exclusively pawns that are "good" at combat, but being able to shoot at all and soak the occasional bullet is very valuable.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pawns who can't fight are drafted into my "maintain a hallway full of bear traps" corps. They might not be able to fight or refuse to do so but that doesn't mean they're not going to kill people

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
You can also just... turn off the "raids get stronger based on your wealth" option when customizing a difficulty. :v:

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Those were just examples, but I don't think they're too radical.

Cage Kicker posted:

You can make a room nice with some carpet and a nice armchair, I think gilding every room like a pharaohs tomb might be the issue

Silver is a material that's usually not hard to come by since it's the currency of the game, and if you're selling excess stuff, you end up with a lot of silver. I usually try a silver room for my leader or for the place of worship, depending on the colony structure. Cotton is way harder to come across unless you trade for it, since you need a dedicated farm, and then spend a lot of time growing and cultivating it. In the mean time, you could easily have found enough pretty stones for a bedroom or temple.

QuarkJets posted:

4 pawns that can't fight out of 7 is a really bad ratio, I don't usually allow myself to have more than 1. You don't need exclusively pawns that are "good" at combat, but being able to shoot at all and soak the occasional bullet is very valuable.

It is a bad ratio, but it happens. Pawns have babies, or sometimes you might have a segregated colony where only commoners or women or whatever, fight. Sometimes the fighting pawns die, and you're left with people who can't.

Lt. Lizard posted:

You can also just... turn off the "raids get stronger based on your wealth" option when customizing a difficulty. :v:

I have never opened the custom difficulty settings :blush:
Edit: Oh, looking at the setting now. It's not strictly "wealth", but it just turns of any scaling whatsoever and replaces it with escalating raids based off how long the base has been established.

Chatrapati fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 11, 2024

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
if you aren't using that silver to tech up/buy weapons/etc. then you are just building raiders a treasure chest for them to break open. Cotton is harder to come across, but it costs less and doesn't ramp up your wealth as high.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The whole point of difficulty settings is so people can play how they prefer. Some folks wanna build real nice bases at a steady pace, some folks want to be fighting for their lives all the time.

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Yeah, that's an atypical way to play. You can find a middle ground between spray coating one guy's entire room with silver as a caveman and murdering the weak the instant they're born Sparta style.

:hmmyes: And that middle ground is to murder the weak the instant they're born by spray coating them in silver.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
borg the babies

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I installed a mod that makes floors worthless and I have no shame or regrets. Motherfucker you are not going to get any resale value out of my diamond pattern mahogany floors, doubling your raid commitment is not going to profit you :colbert:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

bashes down door into colony rec room as a raider while carrying a machine gun and wearing tattered clothing while actively bleeding from several bullet holes

"Your hardwood.... is beautiful... who.... who did your floors..."

collapses

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Danaru posted:

Anyone got a good door mat mod? The only two I can find apparently don't work with Rocketman :(
It's not quite what you were asking for but there are mods to reduce filth generation or disable it entirely, and they tend to improve performance a lot.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ms Adequate posted:

Just had maybe the least effective drop pod raid I've ever seen. I had a sizeable mechanoid cluster, so I set up a bunch of sandbags and whatnot as you do, and started the fight. We were doing pretty well and maybe ⅓ of the mechs were down when I get the message that a drop pod raid is arriving. This is potentially very bad because most of my combat people are outside the walls fighting the mechs. So depending on where they land, they might pin my guys against the mechs, or they might have close to free reign in the base, and even if not they'll have plenty of time to beat on my walls and stuff.

Nope! One dozen idiots landed on pretty much the halfway point between my fortifications and the mechs, and proceeded to die at an unbelievable rate. I am not sure if us and the mechs even fired directly at these chumps, they just got immediately disintegrated by us real armies throwing actual grown-up ordnance at each other.

I had a missed opportunity similar to this last night. Had a defoliant ship drop and was shelling it from my base when a raid dropped in. I didn’t think to wake the mechs while the raid was passing them by. :doh:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

silentsnack posted:

It's not quite what you were asking for but there are mods to reduce filth generation or disable it entirely, and they tend to improve performance a lot.

Honestly that sounds way better, I'll have to take a look

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Oh god yeah that sounds so nice, dealing with filth is my least favorite thing in Rimworld

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Chatrapati posted:

Edit: Oh, looking at the setting now. It's not strictly "wealth", but it just turns of any scaling whatsoever and replaces it with escalating raids based off how long the base has been established.

man, the scenario options and difficulty settings are IMMENSELY IMPACTFUL in helping you have a good time with this game, even without mods

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Just because someone vomited all over the floor behind me and left it doesn't mean I'm going to give people food poisoning ffs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Chatrapati posted:

Those were just examples, but I don't think they're too radical.

Silver is a material that's usually not hard to come by since it's the currency of the game, and if you're selling excess stuff, you end up with a lot of silver. I usually try a silver room for my leader or for the place of worship, depending on the colony structure. Cotton is way harder to come across unless you trade for it, since you need a dedicated farm, and then spend a lot of time growing and cultivating it. In the mean time, you could easily have found enough pretty stones for a bedroom or temple.

It is a bad ratio, but it happens. Pawns have babies, or sometimes you might have a segregated colony where only commoners or women or whatever, fight. Sometimes the fighting pawns die, and you're left with people who can't.

Kids have less "wealth" than healthy adult pawns. A 3 year old kid vs a pacifist, I will take the child every time

You can also get some raiders to away if you leave out enough stuff for them to take, that's an option if you want to not have as many fighters. You probably also need to make some Allies that you can call in, which is another pro move if you have a lot of wealth

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Basically, and this is true at any difficulty level, the Rimworld gameplay loop wants you to keep enough defense around for your current level of colony wealth. The easiest thing to do is just trade some of your silver for weapons and armor, but you can also buy and train animals, purchase the materials you would need to build a bunch of autoturrets, and bribe the local factions into becoming your ally. That last one is doubly effective because you got rid of that wealth entirely, so raids will be smaller on top of you having a bunch of friends to call when things look bad.

If you don't like creating caravans then just make people like you via endless dance parties, with the Ideology DLC.

Oh and Empire permits, the squadrons you can call down are very good for a base with not a lot of defenders. If your leader doesn't have empire permits then they haven't earned those silver floors

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Danaru posted:

Honestly that sounds way better, I'll have to take a look
I use this, works like a charm.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kestral posted:

I installed a mod that makes floors worthless and I have no shame or regrets. Motherfucker you are not going to get any resale value out of my diamond pattern mahogany floors, doubling your raid commitment is not going to profit you :colbert:

Even as someone who prefers higher difficulties, I do this too. "You loving idiot, you smoothed the floors/laid down a carpet? We're all dead, Lord Humungus is gonna send another 30 guys in the next wave" is one of my least favorite bits of wealth calculation in vanilla. I hate leaving dirt floors everywhere.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

It always read to me as less “gently caress yes we’re going to deconstruct the marquetry and trade it for drugs” and more “look how rich they are, they sunk all this time and labor into a loving floor, there’s got to be loot there and we’ll need more bodies to carry it.”

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
It’d be interesting if, when a raid showed up, they had a significant chance of sending a demand you could fill to get the raid to leave, usually silver or gold but maybe also components or other high tech stuff and sometimes pawns to take as slaves.

Chances are most people wouldn’t take the offer, but still, if there’s a raid while my best fighters are all sick with flu, maybe I’d be willing to give the bandits 500 silver to gently caress off today. Maybe there’s a mode for that, who knows,

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I’m pretty sure there’s a mod that lets you pay mercenaries silver to drop-pod in and murder the raid.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
yeah have the terrorists make demands so i can ignore them and feel even more satisfied wiping them floor with them when they invade

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
VE Settlers will have pirates try to shake you down for protection money and raid if you refuse, it's not common but

The Velvet Witch posted:

yeah have the terrorists make demands so i can ignore them and feel even more satisfied wiping them floor with them when they invade

it's very much this when it happens :v:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

LonsomeSon posted:

It always read to me as less “gently caress yes we’re going to deconstruct the marquetry and trade it for drugs” and more “look how rich they are, they sunk all this time and labor into a loving floor, there’s got to be loot there and we’ll need more bodies to carry it.”

This wraps around to "how are these raider dudes who are insanely hostile to everyone in the world getting detailed information about how nice the scrollwork is on the floor in my workshop in the back of the colony to determine how profitable the raid would be", though. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Kanos posted:

This wraps around to "how are these raider dudes who are insanely hostile to everyone in the world getting detailed information about how nice the scrollwork is on the floor in my workshop in the back of the colony to determine how profitable the raid would be", though. :v:

Oh it’s because all the tiles are wired for video, sound, and smell, of course!