Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Golden Goat posted:

I have not encountered these dudes but I assume they're dressed like me and are chumps.

From thought we'd never be looking at their legs for whatever reason and forgot to animate them. They sort of waddle at you pathetically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Fume Knight is IMO the best boss in Sotfs

It's such a hard fight, but its so well put together and so effective at matching weapon to hitbox with him that it never feels cheap when you die

A lot of the same stuff applies to Alonne too, and I think that Crown of the Old Iron King, the DLC, is the best put together of the packs by far

fume knight is basically Gwyn Lord of Cinder 2.0. Similar ash-filled arena at the bottom of a fire-themed area. Similar visual design. Both flame swords. Their movesets differ but have a similar philosophy behind them.

Fume knight is more fun though.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Golden Goat posted:

Fake Edit: Is there anywhere I can get that torch lighting thing (the butterflies?) I like finishing an area and then backtracking to light everything.

Murder your way around Huntsman's Copse. The rogues and the wretches drop those like candy, it seems.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Fake Edit: Is there anywhere I can get that torch lighting thing (the butterflies?) I like finishing an area and then backtracking to light everything.

You'll be able to buy as many as you want from a merchant who may be kind tricky to track down

weaponsmith ornifex, whom you first have to rescue from a pit trap in shaded ruins and can then find in a house at the bottom of tseldora

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fighting three cyclops in a row in Aldia's Keep really makes me appreciate the work they put into the hitboxes on their grab. Jesus Christ ...

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Don't forget to bait one into a tiny corridor to break a locked door!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Fighting three cyclops in a row in Aldia's Keep really makes me appreciate the work they put into the hitboxes on their grab. Jesus Christ ...

The trick is to roll at the absolute last second possible. If you roll too early, and your iframes expire before you finish rolling and your x,y coordinates update, you'll be teleported into their grab because as far as the hit detection cares, you're still standing right in front of them.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I finally got bored of my punchman run and made the pursuer's greatsword. The huge overhand swings sure are neat. Plays so much differently, slow so you need lots of setup.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I guess I just beat the game? My only regrets are not killing the level up bitch and not finding a better looking pair of pants for my armor. I got pissed at this game often and I think its the worst of the Souls games I've played (I've only not played Demon's Souls), but ultimately it's still a really good game at the end of the day. I'm glad I got through the bad parts of it to see the good parts.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 12, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
People were talking about Amana using ranged earlier but I just did the SOTFS version melee and it seemed quite tame (bearing in mind I played vanilla DS2 a billion times and know that to dodge you press circle and/or walk right). I died three times, and one of those was to gravity. I imagine it's not great on NG+ when Kindalur has 90,000 HP and there're black phantom mobs.
Also enjoyed a classic greed death to a Velstadt with 1 pixel health remaining.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Yeah Amana is only really hard when you are...

A: Not Good
B: Unwilling to use ranged options
C: Have low agility.

Much like Dark Souls should be, Amana punishes mistakes and rewards tactical approaches, even now Amana is considered a hard area and it has hardly changed from base DKS2 to SOTFS.

I'd go so far as to say that it is one of the best fight choreography of any base area in the game. Bosses don't count.

And the boss of it is, compared to the level, a breather moment. Same thing with Earthen Peak IMO.

fishception fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 12, 2016

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

turtlecrunch posted:

People were talking about Amana using ranged earlier but I just did the SOTFS version melee and it seemed quite tame (bearing in mind I played vanilla DS2 a billion times and know that to dodge you press circle and/or walk right). I died three times, and one of those was to gravity. I imagine it's not great on NG+ when Kindalur has 90,000 HP and there're black phantom mobs.
Also enjoyed a classic greed death to a Velstadt with 1 pixel health remaining.

I love fighting Velstadt. One of the most fun fight against him was on my varangian gimmick (full varangian armor, shield and sword). I got the kill blow through Velstadt's combo with only just 15hp left.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Also I am sorry if I entered into the Bad Opinion Zone (tm) by saying Amana is good.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Even using ranged isn't gonna stop the last two Archdrakes from waltzing up to your face with their shields raised and beating you to death with their murder combo while you try and roll around in water.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Also I am sorry if I entered into the Bad Opinion Zone (tm) by saying Amana is good.

No need for apologies, you're the one who has to live with it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

it's really pretty and i love the look of your character trudging through the water holding up a torch. i really liked sinner's rise for a similar reason

HGH posted:

Even using ranged isn't gonna stop the last two Archdrakes from waltzing up to your face with their shields raised and beating you to death with their murder combo while you try and roll around in water.

yeah it is

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
You can snipe the Archdrakes and their healer from the cave mouth. Once you kill the healer, the Archdrakes will either rush you into the cave or hold up their "shields" and stay still. You can bottleneck them for the former, or chip away at them for the latter.

Either way it sucks, but at least there's a solution for those with ranged weapons.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Yeah Amana is only really hard when you are...

A: Not Good
B: Unwilling to use ranged options
C: Have low agility.

Much like Dark Souls should be, Amana punishes mistakes and rewards tactical approaches, even now Amana is considered a hard area and it has hardly changed from base DKS2 to SOTFS.

I'd go so far as to say that it is one of the best fight choreography of any base area in the game. Bosses don't count.

And the boss of it is, compared to the level, a breather moment. Same thing with Earthen Peak IMO.

Eh. Amana is beautiful, it's a change of pace, and I'm glad it exists. However it's just way too long and repeats the same basic encounters too many times. It's not hard as much as it is tedious.

"Caster fires poo poo at me from long range, I'm in water so I can't run, I'm not sure where it's safe to walk, and I'm not sure where there are hidden lizardmen" is a good encounter. Facing that encounter like 8 times between bonfires is not fun, not challenging, just tedious. You can snipe them all with zero risk to your life, it's just boring. All the hidden dangers (lizards, ledges, additional casters) also makes it hard to find a good way to speed clear it without a lot of trial and error.

They mix it up with the final trio of healer+knight+knight, which is another good encounter, but if you mess it up you're forced to slog through a bunch of long range encounters again.

Similarly, searching around near the underwater ledges for hidden paths and loot is a cool idea for the first couple of sections. Due to the length of the area though, you get sick and tired of trudging around in knee deep water.

The zone would be a lot more interesting if they managed to get some more variety in the geography and encounters.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

You can snipe the Archdrakes and their healer from the cave mouth. Once you kill the healer, the Archdrakes will either rush you into the cave or hold up their "shields" and stay still. You can bottleneck them for the former, or chip away at them for the latter.

Either way it sucks, but at least there's a solution for those with ranged weapons.
Oh I guess we're talking about different encounters, cause that's not what I was thinking of. This one is ok since you have a lot of leeway with the enemies backing down. For some reason this didn't occur to me as "the last encounter" of the area, just sorta there on the way to the boss.

What I'm talking about is the lead up to the last bonfire. You exit a hut, kill a lone archdrake, and then right before the cave with the bugs and bonfire there's two Archdrakes and two priestesses. By the time my spells kill the latter the other two have reached me and I'm trying to roll onto the land to get a better spot.
Supposedly there's a Felicia the Brave summon sign that makes this all piss easy but I never found it, just some other jerk NPC who keeps dying in 10 seconds.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Felicia in SotFS got moved to the second Amana bonfire. She remains a beast.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
If you mean the open area before the cave with the beetles and bonfire, I think you can summon Lone Hunter Schmidt for the fight somewhere in a hut. He's pretty handy since he'll also spot and shoot those ghouls lurking in the water.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

A million playthroughs and I never got a Warlock Mask, no matter how many times I farmed for it. I started a new Barbarian, straight melee with 1 in Int, and the fucker drops in the rogue forest. Goddammit.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

If you mean the open area before the cave with the beetles and bonfire, I think you can summon Lone Hunter Schmidt for the fight somewhere in a hut. He's pretty handy since he'll also spot and shoot those ghouls lurking in the water.
When I did that he ran off to the side and aggro'd the enemies by the destroyable vines then died to them so I stopped bothering.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

scamtank posted:

Murder your way around Huntsman's Copse. The rogues and the wretches drop those like candy, it seems.

Looper posted:

You'll be able to buy as many as you want from a merchant who may be kind tricky to track down

weaponsmith ornifex, whom you first have to rescue from a pit trap in shaded ruins and can then find in a house at the bottom of tseldora

Thanks, I kinda want to start lighting up every torch as a nice relaxing post dungeon/area run.

One more question: Considering i'm mostly focused on melee are any of the boss souls weapons worth grabbing? I'm unsure since a couple like the dragonrider and pursuer give me several options.

Elerion
May 31, 2011
Several of the boss weapons are OK, none of them are really amazing, at least the NG drops. Especially considering you won't be able to fully upgrade them until you've finished the game. Unless you know you want one of them for a certain gimmicky build, you can pretty much ignore them. That said, they are often quite unique, so it can be fun to get them just to try them out.

Dragonrider Bow is probably the universally best NG boss weapon because it's the hardest hitting bow in the game, especially if you're not maxing dex. It has a low range though, so I prefer other bows for high dex builds.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

toasterwarrior posted:

He wrecks poo poo as long as he doesn't walk off a ledge. He's really, really prone to walking off of ledges when I summon him.

Cleared the path through enough of the Frigid Outskirts, but... I just don't like the fight against the two cats. My squishy INT character hits them pretty hard with the blue flame/ice rap, but I just can't work of the desire to beat them since I have to trudge like 5 minutes through snow if I fail again and the fight itself isn't very interesting.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I prefer the CHAOS REIGNS methodology for boring bosses, and it's only gotten better with SotFS's coop phantom increase. Summon all the phantoms you can, preferably first ones with disruptive or flashy weapon sets, then prioritizing cool or stupid names. It'll either be hilarious or tragic, either is good. Doing this on the BIK is my favorite thing in all of the Souls games, because all four Knights plus adds plus three summons is a loving madhouse.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Andrigaar posted:

He wrecks poo poo as long as he doesn't walk off a ledge. He's really, really prone to walking off of ledges when I summon him.

Cleared the path through enough of the Frigid Outskirts, but... I just don't like the fight against the two cats. My squishy INT character hits them pretty hard with the blue flame/ice rap, but I just can't work of the desire to beat them since I have to trudge like 5 minutes through snow if I fail again and the fight itself isn't very interesting.

The NPC phantoms can actually handle them by themselves more or less as long as you can avoid dying and occasionally deal some damage when you're sure it's safe. Just be sure to summon all three of them.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Amana is ridiculous if you're doing any kind of low level or challenge playthrough.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Yeah, but you can't really fault the game for expecting that people would level and gear up. Also true, at least the leveling part, in Bloodborne. Especially Bloodborne.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
anyone done a NG+ run (sotfs) where you leave all your items/weapons/armour in the item box and sorta go through the game again collecting weapons, upgrading again and poo poo like normal new game, only now with all the extra poo poo ng+ throws at you? i'm pondering doing it to make things a bit more interesting and i'm not sure if it's doable. i would imagine it would be, you would still get everything again in the same way in ng+ right?

it's also a dumb idea but it's the only thing that's making me want to try ng+ plus i want to know the story again with how it's presented to you through item description discovery because i forgot most of what the gently caress was going on.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 12, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

multijoe posted:

I just want to say that the loving cyclops grab attack can kiss my goddamned dick. I have yet to see a circumstance where that poo poo is not instant death because it's like seventeen separate hits, and you get the bleed effect on top of that.

I am fully aware that the move is pretty easy to dodge and is telegraphed like a day in advance, but still. :colbert:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

I just want to say that the loving cyclops grab attack can kiss my goddamned dick. I have yet to see a circumstance where that poo poo is not instant death because it's like seventeen separate hits, and you get the bleed effect on top of that.

I am fully aware that the move is pretty easy to dodge and is telegraphed like a day in advance, but still. :colbert:

In the end I just kited them with a bow, I couldn't get the timing down and kept getting OHKO'd from attacks I was in the middle of dodging. Generally I've found the game alot easier actually working a bow into my toolset, it certainly doesn't feel like it was design to be viable melee-only like DS1 was and alot of the game's biggest shitshows like the flame salamanders and archdrake sorceresses go down pretty easy once you start abusing LoS. Considering how bullshit some of it is, I don't even feel bad about it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I've made it up to Sinh in The Sunken City now now and these DLC fights are a huge increase in quality, Elana was probably the best caster boss the franchise has seen so far and Sinh fights like a champ in a way that feels pretty fair. Aside from the co-op hell areas I've heard about do the rest of the DLC areas keep up this level of quality?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've been recommended playing a dex falchion type dude coming from BB and not having played DkS 2 since the first DLC came out. Any specific weapon I should be trying to get early on in SotFS, and is dual wielding worth?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

multijoe posted:

I've made it up to Sinh in The Sunken City now now and these DLC fights are a huge increase in quality, Elana was probably the best caster boss the franchise has seen so far and Sinh fights like a champ in a way that feels pretty fair. Aside from the co-op hell areas I've heard about do the rest of the DLC areas keep up this level of quality?

yes. all of old iron king's bosses own, one of ivory king's is kind of a dud imo but one is really great with coop and i think eleum loyce is the best area to run around in, and also has a wonderful shortcut

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
As stupid as it sounds, I really liked the spear in BB. I never played the DLC, so making a fresh character that focuses on spears and sister weapons. Is this a bad idea?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Mr E posted:

I've been recommended playing a dex falchion type dude coming from BB and not having played DkS 2 since the first DLC came out. Any specific weapon I should be trying to get early on in SotFS, and is dual wielding worth?

You can get falchions early on, and yeah powerstancing them is pretty drat good

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Hypha posted:

As stupid as it sounds, I really liked the spear in BB. I never played the DLC, so making a fresh character that focuses on spears and sister weapons. Is this a bad idea?

Spears are totally fine. They let you zone things pretty well if you need some space to feel comfortable, and work well with the counter ring. Only time I felt like I needed more punch was working through the Ivory King DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Some spears have strike on their R2s that tend to have pretty good animations, so you can always use one of those.