Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

If I take it I'm going to fail. If I fail it costs another $1000 to retake it. If I defer, I don't have a failure and it costs me $200. I don't wanna walk in and wing it to the tune of $800. I'm nowhere near ready, and a week's time isn't enough to get me in good enough shape to write my essays and pass the MC with certainty.

I did one practice essay. It took me an hour and a half to do, and I looked up a few things to do so. Even still, I had about 6-7 things missing when compared to the sample answer. Florida does 3 essays and 100 MC first day and I'm definitely not scoring high enough on my FL MC right now to make up for essays that score in the 20 to 25 point range.

My friend bailed at the last minute too and of course he never got barred. If you want/need to be licensed, you should take every shot you have. If you don't actually need it, just bail on it entirely and stop wasting your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

If I take it I'm going to fail. If I fail it costs another $1000 to retake it. If I defer, I don't have a failure and it costs me $200. I don't wanna walk in and wing it to the tune of $800. I'm nowhere near ready, and a week's time isn't enough to get me in good enough shape to write my essays and pass the MC with certainty.

I did one practice essay. It took me an hour and a half to do, and I looked up a few things to do so. Even still, I had about 6-7 things missing when compared to the sample answer. Florida does 3 essays and 100 MC first day and I'm definitely not scoring high enough on my FL MC right now to make up for essays that score in the 20 to 25 point range.

I took the NY and NJ bars simultaneously. For the NY bar, I took one BarBri practice essay (which they returned looking like a red sea) and most of the multiple choice Q's in the book, but nothing else. I thought the NJ bar would be like NY's and literally did not know it was 100% essays until walking into the room. I certainly didn't know a single thing about NJ legal differences from NY or, for that matter, NY's legal differences from anything else.

I passed both. If you're doing fine on the multiple choice and know how to write an essay it's not rocket science. Remember, whether you know what the answer to the essay topic should be doesn't matter nearly as much as it should as long as your bullshit is framed as correct legal reasoning.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Pook Good Mook posted:

By design 10-20% have to fail every test.

Because curved tests for your profession is totally the right way forward.

Gosh I wish we had that. This year we had a failure rate of around 70%, for some places it even reached 85%. I was wait listed to be admitted in Oct/Nov. but so many people didn't pass I'm now booked for this month.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I thought the bar exam was done after I did the part where you write about the fake case. I was severely deflated when they came back out with the second fake case.

I also passed the bar and failed the MPRE right afterward.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
I winged the bar. You'll be fine.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Mr Nice: you don't want to be a lawyer anyway by your own admission. I think you should eventually get barred, but only you know if you can afford a week of intense study and $800 to try the bar now. If $800 is an incredible hardship to you, then you should save the money. If it's not, you should study and try.

No matter what, you should do whatever best fits your life plans, and none of us internet strangers can know what that is (except me, because I'm the best).

I'm not one of those people who could have learned the bar in a week, or winged it. My law school basically did bar prep for 3 years, and then I studied hard for a month prior to and I only just passed. If I were in your shoes I would likely fail.

Although I did great on the mpre and I only listened to a 4 hour lecture while driving what the gently caress is wrong with you unethical bastards? (1) Don't steal from your clients, (2) don't sleep with your clients, (3) if you don't know if it's ethical, the answer is whatever allows the lawyer to make the most money.

Hot Dog Day #91 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 16, 2017

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
If you never want to be a lawyer, don't take the bar. All you will get for passing is a lifetime of paying to maintain your license. I pay a $400 professional tax and $170 to the ethics board each year. That doesn't count cost of CLEs.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 13, 2021

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Definitely not a jokester or an ethicist.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 13, 2021

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Just going to leave this here - for whatever reason, I can't c/p quotes from the article, but it's depressing and sad and paints a picture of the loneliness that pervades big law.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/15/business/lawyers-addiction-mental-health.html

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Gosh I wish we had that. This year we had a failure rate of around 70%, for some places it even reached 85%. I was wait listed to be admitted in Oct/Nov. but so many people didn't pass I'm now booked for this month.

What test is this for?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Mr Nice: you don't want to be a lawyer anyway by your own admission. I think you should eventually get barred, but only you know if you can afford a week of intense study and $800 to try the bar now. If $800 is an incredible hardship to you, then you should save the money. If it's not, you should study and try.

No matter what, you should do whatever best fits your life plans, and none of us internet strangers can know what that is (except me, because I'm the best).

I'm not one of those people who could have learned the bar in a week, or winged it. My law school basically did bar prep for 3 years, and then I studied hard for a month prior to and I only just passed. If I were in your shoes I would likely fail.

Although I did great on the mpre and I only listened to a 4 hour lecture while driving what the gently caress is wrong with you unethical bastards? (1) Don't steal from your clients, (2) don't sleep with your clients, (3) if you don't know if it's ethical, the answer is whatever allows the lawyer to make the most money.

I took the LSAT without any prep and basically winged most of my law school classes. I'm going to run through some more stuff today and tomorrow, but unless I'm feeling better about my chances by mid week, I'm going to defer. The $800 saved isn't going to break the bank one way or another, but it's still the cost of a plane ticket somewhere nice so I'd rather save it if I can.

Look Sir Droids posted:

If you never want to be a lawyer, don't take the bar. All you will get for passing is a lifetime of paying to maintain your license. I pay a $400 professional tax and $170 to the ethics board each year. That doesn't count cost of CLEs.

I am going to do some practicing, but not much. I'm going to continue what I'm doing now, that is pro bono work for indigent vets. The difference is I'll be actually filing and appearing instead of just doing paralegal type poo poo. I'm going to get my VA approval taken care of as well so I can appear for appellate cases that have gone far enough to need an attorney. Those come with statutory fees, so I'll get paid something eventually.

I don't intend on working 60+ hours a week trying to bill out insane hours or anything like that. Even if I was offered a full time position somewhere, I'd have to give it serious thought as to whether I would want to do that or not.

Ultimately, I'm in a situation of my own creation. Yes there was a large delay in getting prep materials because of the VA & barbri, but that's just as much my fault for pushing for an alternative sooner.

Basically, short of some perfect job that just tickles my fancy, I'm just going to end up in grad school next year while doing part time legal work.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

My opinion (I know you all asked and appreciate it) is that you can afford to 100% wing essays, but only if you aren't winging it on the MBE. For the MBE you just have to know the rules, whereas on essays you can guesstimate the appropriate law.

Try taking the bar on Texas, we have an additional Procedure and Evidence component and it's free points if you put a few hours into it the day before.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
A section of the florida stuff always goes over florida professional responsibility which boils down to don't gently caress your clients and keep track of/don't gently caress around with your iota accounts.

I don't know what other states do, but in FL all client trust accounts are required to be set up as interest bearing accounts with the interest payable to the Florida Bar. There are regular accounting rules and poo poo that go along with it, but it all boils down to don't take money out of the trust that you shouldn't, and keep your loving records.

My issue is I'm not good enough on the MC right now to pass. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to do it in a week. I'm just trying to keep realistic expectations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Biglaw lateral update: had my secretary make me a binder on day 1, still in the office at this very moment on day 2.

update #2: billed 55 hours week 1, lol

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

Hope you spent your "off time" with "fun" activities, like going to "happy" hour with your coworkers/"friends"

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

disjoe posted:

My opinion (I know you all asked and appreciate it) is that you can afford to 100% wing essays, but only if you aren't winging it on the MBE. For the MBE you just have to know the rules, whereas on essays you can guesstimate the appropriate law.

Try taking the bar on Texas, we have an additional Procedure and Evidence component and it's free points if you put a few hours into it the day before.

Glad to hear someone endorse my plan for the Procedure and Evidence tests.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Mr. Nice! posted:

A section of the florida stuff always goes over florida professional responsibility which boils down to don't gently caress your clients and keep track of/don't gently caress around with your iota accounts.

I don't know what other states do, but in FL all client trust accounts are required to be set up as interest bearing accounts with the interest payable to the Florida Bar. There are regular accounting rules and poo poo that go along with it, but it all boils down to don't take money out of the trust that you shouldn't, and keep your loving records.

My issue is I'm not good enough on the MC right now to pass. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to do it in a week. I'm just trying to keep realistic expectations.

Are you taking barbri practice tests or past tests? Barbri ones are harder than live.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Make tacos not law

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Are you taking barbri practice tests or past tests? Barbri ones are harder than live.

Themis practice tests. I should pull up an actual MBE set.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Enjoy the time where you’re easing into it.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Pook Good Mook posted:

What test is this for?

England and Wales advocates exams. I think the final fail rate is supposed to be about 20%-50% (it's multipaper and we get resits so we can keep good passes), and you get a good year where this actually happens. But then they decide too many people passed and change the exams, this year they seem to have really gone over the top.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Flutieflakes017 posted:

Where in Asia? I'm taking a dude's trip to West China then working our way to HK and Macau.

Oh hey, come hang with HKgoons while you're here. It's a pretty friendly community. Drop me a PM if interested.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/15/business/lawyers-addiction-mental-health.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

For everyone considering going to law school.

To me, this part stood out for eloquently stating why, even if you are an established, "good" lawyer, this profession can still be brutal and unsatisfying:

“Being a surgeon is stressful, for instance — but not in the same way. It would be like having another surgeon across the table from you trying to undo your operation. In law, you are financially rewarded for being hostile.”

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

“It would be like having another surgeon across the table from you trying to undo your operation.”

This would be badass to watch.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

This would be badass to watch.

1v1 appendectomy 5m no carotid

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Phil Moscowitz posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/15/business/lawyers-addiction-mental-health.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

For everyone considering going to law school.

To me, this part stood out for eloquently stating why, even if you are an established, "good" lawyer, this profession can still be brutal and unsatisfying:

“Being a surgeon is stressful, for instance — but not in the same way. It would be like having another surgeon across the table from you trying to undo your operation. In law, you are financially rewarded for being hostile.”

I see this article circulating so widely and personally resonating with so many lawyers and I have to think it's because but for the death this guy's life superficially looks like the pinnacle of what lawyer culture tells you you should be striving to be.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013
Litigation is a kind of ball-kicking contest.

Every morning, I get up and put on a grey wool suit and go to work planning to kick some poor bastard right in the balls. And that poor bastard got up and put on his grey wool suit and went to work planning to kick me in the balls.

I have my good witnesses and good documents and good law. His job is to kick them right in the balls. He has his good witnesses and good documents and good law. My job is to kick them right in the balls. I have clever plans. He has clever plans. I have contingencies and surprises. So does he. I say gently caress him. He says gently caress me.

Sometimes we're friendly with each other and smile and say nice things and talk about our kids while we kick each other in the balls. Sometimes, he's a sonuvabitch, and I can't wait to kick his balls. Sometimes, I suggest that he leave me out of it and try kicking my co-defendant's balls. Sometimes, I hold him down, and my co-defendant does the kicking.

Balls are kicked, and we don't don't stop until a Judge, a Jury or a Mediator makes us to stop.

And then we appeal.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
This week marks my 9 month anniversary of saying "gently caress it" to the lovely Vancouver private legal scene and moving to the Canadian arctic to work in the public sector.

I spent the last 5 years on serial contracts at a dead-end job that caused me serious depression and burgeoning alcohol issues. I ended up getting laid off and, on a whim, decided to accept a permanent job up here. I now make 2x as much money, only work 37.5h a week, and I have a job I love with great co-workers and an interesting caseload. No more stress, no more anxiety, no more drinking. It's p great.

AMA about my tiny hosed up arctic public sector practice.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
do you live in an igloo and if not, why not

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mastershakeman posted:

Global warming's a bitch

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
So the VA will pay for me to retake the test but may not pay to defer. I may actually save money if I fail the test.

I tried some online MBE (non-themis) to see where I was on those, and I got 70% on my first run, so maybe I'm not in as bad of shape as I thought.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

So the VA will pay for me to retake the test but may not pay to defer. I may actually save money if I fail the test.

I tried some online MBE (non-themis) to see where I was on those, and I got 70% on my first run, so maybe I'm not in as bad of shape as I thought.

Noooooo! Let the hate and fear consume you!

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

mastershakeman posted:

I live in a nice new apartment building because the previous one burned to the ground. It's much bigger and better equipped than my old lovely Vancouver studio (in-suite laundry! Dishwasher! A full-size indoor storage room!). It's also government owned and subsidized and rent is deducted form my salary so I don't need to deal with a lovely landlord. Serfdom has its perks.

And at the end of the month, rent is 10$/mo cheaper than what I was paying in Vancouver. :canada:

The only downside is that it's a 25 minute walk to the office. This is fine during the summer when it's around 10C out. But in the -60C winters, it's a bit rough. Luckily the barge with the car I bought earlier this year is arriving this week after waiting 3 months. So this upcoming winter will be more tolerable.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

The more multiple choice questions I do the more I'm realizing that basic competence will give you around 50% and after that the real trick is narrowing down the choices so you can coin-flip the other 50%.

I don't have any amateur insight into the essays, that poo poo sucks.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

The more multiple choice questions I do the more I'm realizing that basic competence will give you around 50% and after that the real trick is narrowing down the choices so you can coin-flip the other 50%.

I don't have any amateur insight into the essays, that poo poo sucks.

BUT HOW CAN YOU PASS IF YOU DON'T KNOW EVERY NOOK AND CRANNY OF THE ARTICLE 2 MERCHANTS' CONFIRMATORY MEMO EXCEPTION

Realtalk on essays: go through the Barbri writing program for each topic. Read the question carefully, think about what the likely answer is, maybe write out an outline. Turn to the suggested answer. Highlight the rules of law. Try to learn what you highlighted and nothing else. The rules of law in that book, if you vaguely know them, are enough to get you a passing score on the essays.

disjoe fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 17, 2017

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

disjoe posted:

BUT HOW CAN YOU PASS IF YOU DON'T KNOW EVERY NOOK AND CRANNY OF THE ARTICLE 2 MERCHANTS' CONFIRMATORY MEMO EXCEPTION

Realtalk on essays: go through the Barbri writing program for each topic. Read the question carefully, think about what the likely answer is, maybe write out an outline. Turn to the suggested answer. Highlight the rules of law. Try to learn what you highlighted and nothing else. The rules of law in that book, if you vaguely know them, are enough to get you a passing score on the essays.

Real question to realtalk: When we're talking about the rules of law, I'm guessing that the grader is less concerned with specific wording than they are about the principle right?

For example in negligence questions I just can't imagine they want us to go through the academic difference between "foreseeable intervening force" vs. "unforeseeable result" when the ultimate question is really just reasonably foreseeable outcomes. Outside of maybe Con-law, the specific wording can't be the deciding factor can it?

And for the record, Merchant's Confirmatory Memo is my bitch.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

Real question to realtalk: When we're talking about the rules of law, I'm guessing that the grader is less concerned with specific wording than they are about the principle right?

For example in negligence questions I just can't imagine they want us to go through the academic difference between "foreseeable intervening force" vs. "unforeseeable result" when the ultimate question is really just reasonably foreseeable outcomes. Outside of maybe Con-law, the specific wording can't be the deciding factor can it?

I can only speak for Texas. They never release grading rubrics for essays but based on the available materials I think you're right. Nevertheless, if you have the time (and at this point no one does), it helps to memorize answers to commonly asked questions both to save time and to avoid going blank on exam day.

My order of priority when studying for essay questions (TIME MANAGEMENT AND EFFECTIVE LEGAL WRITING ARE ALWAYS MORE IMPORTANT THAN SUBSTANCE):

General idea of answers in Barbri writing program --> memorize common elements of answers in Barbri writing program --> general idea of issues Barbri lecturer says are important --> drink --> general idea of other material from lectures

YMMV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Tennessee here. You only find out anything about your bar score if you failed, but I think it's the same here. Just make sure to use consistent terminology within your answer. Concepts are more important than specific magic words except for things that are very specific (like piercing the corporate veil or something, maybe).

What I remember most about bar prep wasn't memorizing specific things, it was getting concepts down where I wouldn't be caught flat footed on anything and then writing an answer fast enough so I didn't run out of time or have to rush writing the answer for a later question. It was 13 questions I think in 6 hrs, so I just drilled myself to get where I could read the question and write a complete answer in 20 minutes. I am not at all hot poo poo and I never had any real doubt that I passed when I woke up the next day with a clear head. To this day I believe I had good enough essays on at least 12 of the 13 questions to amount to it being correct. 13 of 13 if I did a good enough job bullshitting my way through that child support question I had not idea on because I had made a strategic decision to not study that topic hard.