Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

Marv Hushman posted:

Consider yourself bit. Great news, and what up CT homeboy?

:hfive: Middlesex County represent. As for what's up, mostly people riding in Bermuda shorts and boat shoes around here :v:.

I live on a 45 mph road (which everyone does around 60 on) so my first road experience was me taking a deep breath, edging to my driveway, and launching out with all of my 500s awkward fury! Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I'm over in Fairfield County CT myself.

Here's my bike loaded up about halfway through the 1600 mile ride I did over 4th of July vacation.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm over in Fairfield County CT myself.

Here's my bike loaded up about halfway through the 1600 mile ride I did over 4th of July vacation.

Chain slack man! How's the Kriega stuff? I've allready managed to scuff up my back shiny panels with my luggage packing skills :(

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The Triumph clearcoat has the endurance of warm butter. I've managed to mostly preserve it on mine but the crotchal part of the tank is disappointing. The Kriega tankpad doesn't appear to have left any lasting marks, but I haven't taken it off and cleaned up enough to really tell.

I like the Kriega pieces but 20+20+10L meant some compromises packing for about a 10 day trip. I was going to bring my R35 backpack as well but I'm pretty sure putting much weight on my shoulders over that much mileage would've killed me, and there really wasn't much room between my back and the tailpack. I'm not really sure I could get much more on the bike without going to those frames that go around the mufflers or just getting a low-mount. As it was, having that stack on the back meant getting on/off the bike with my bum knees was a big hassle.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

The Triumph clearcoat has the endurance of warm butter. I've managed to mostly preserve it on mine but the crotchal part of the tank is disappointing. The Kriega tankpad doesn't appear to have left any lasting marks, but I haven't taken it off and cleaned up enough to really tell.

I like the Kriega pieces but 20+20+10L meant some compromises packing for about a 10 day trip. I was going to bring my R35 backpack as well but I'm pretty sure putting much weight on my shoulders over that much mileage would've killed me, and there really wasn't much room between my back and the tailpack. I'm not really sure I could get much more on the bike without going to those frames that go around the mufflers or just getting a low-mount. As it was, having that stack on the back meant getting on/off the bike with my bum knees was a big hassle.

Yeah my tank has that hazy 'washed with sand' kinda look to it, dissapointing. I got one of those ventura racks and have it pointed backwards so that I can have a little bag to hold my chain, wetgear and cover and bungee by 60l rolltop bag onto the seat using the little swing out hooks under the seat. I've managed to melt various parts of both bags somehow allready, those are the joys of the highmounts I guess. I'm planning on doing my tour this year without a tankbag, but only because I'm not solo this time so can shove my day-trippy type stuff on their bike.. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Snowdens Secret posted:

A properly adjusted R35 should put nearly all the weight of the backpack on your chest rather than your shoulders. I totally forgot about mine on my 3 day ride from Seattle to Santa Barbara on a supermoto.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
This

Is now joined by this

2007 xb12ss

Not wholly dissimilar bikes I guess.

The XB's the Long model, so not as aggressive as the standard one but even so, it's so much more comfortable than the SRX. My butt actually fits on the seat. Also, speeds above 50 don't feel like you're trying to win the GP anymore; might miss that in recreational riding but certainly not on my commute. It's weird being able to push a button and the bike starts just like that.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Nice XB. Is the frame polished or something? I am not used to seeing reflections there. The black wheels are hot.

I love my XB12X. Done any unintentional wheelies yet?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Nice XB. Is the frame polished or something? I am not used to seeing reflections there. The black wheels are hot.

I love my XB12X. Done any unintentional wheelies yet?

Carbon frame protectors; to hide something the stock puck didn't manage to prevent, I'm betting. I've only driven it very gingerly thus far, still getting used to something that weights more than a moped.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Whenever I see most of the non-firebolt Buells I think I just want to have one, even if it's my only bike :allears:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Accidental power wheelies are one of the most fun things about a Buell (or any v-twin really). Take it out into some real twisties and you'll see where that chassis really shines.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

lancemantis posted:

Whenever I see most of the non-firebolt Buells I think I just want to have one, even if it's my only bike :allears:

I hit the twisties and dirt roads (thought I had a Harley moment yesterday and didn't because I'd just washed it) with my Ulysses, and I can carry my life around in the panniers. Its pretty much the only bike I need.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

I peeled off all the stickers installed by the PO and took this with my phone while waiting for some friends to arrive.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

stevobob posted:

I peeled off all the stickers installed by the PO and took this with my phone while waiting for some friends to arrive.

Nice! Make sure not to lug it in 5th gear, keep it above 4000rpm for fear of stripping the cogs.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

High Protein posted:

Nice! Make sure not to lug it in 5th gear, keep it above 4000rpm for fear of stripping the cogs.

This can happen? :ohdear:

I never lug it though... Even though it's a little 225 I ride it pretty good. Downshifting is fun!

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

stevobob posted:

Ooo nice bike! I'm only a few weeks into riding (and then not as much as I'd like thanks to a grumpy clutch issue) and I already want a dual-sport as my next ride. Well that or a Ural which is kind of like a dual-sport I suppose. :allears:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

stevobob posted:

This can happen? :ohdear:

I never lug it though... Even though it's a little 225 I ride it pretty good. Downshifting is fun!

Oh it's the 250? Never mind then, sorry. I thought it was the xt600, that engine looks exactly the same.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Here's my Aprilia Shiver living up to its name in the snow back in Feb:

I'd love to post a better picture but we've had literally two nice weekends since then in London and I was on call on both of them so couldn't ride :( (or take sexy-time pictures of us having fun in the countryside). Also lost all my older pictures of it (and my older bikes) in a HD crash last year :(

Still it gets used every day, no matter the weather (well admittedly not with settled snow - if it was a little lighter and I had even the slightest faith in other road users I'd probably still ride it then).

So to answer the first question anyone asks when I say i have an Italian bike - it's never outright broken down in three years of, as I say, daily use but has had a couple of extended stays in hospital thanks to a burnt-out cooling fan, broken clutch spring (both fixed with better components under warranty) and a broken rear brake light switch.

Its only real vices are that it seems to burn out the front low beam headlight remarkably quickly (6-9 months) and the lovely third-party immobiliser (Datatool Veto Evo, had to fit it to even consider getting insurance where I live even though the bike has its own perfectly good immobiliser) can flatten the battery and every once in a while just randomly stops the bike starting - a trickle charge takes care of the former and, strangely, deliberately setting off and then resetting the alarm fixes the latter, but thankfully I have very tolerant neighbours.

Oh, and the fly-by-wire throttle is unexpectedly (given that it was the first time it had ever been done on a bike, and it was done by Italians) fantastic, letting me choose between a mellow cruise for traffic and long distances and a rip-snorting, almost small-capacity 4, instant power map for the twisties and showing off.

It's completely stock - I sort of want to put a belly-pan on it to fill the gap between the front wheel and the sump and also keep road muck off the oil filter but the third-party ones I've seen are a bit shoddy and the Aprilia official part is way too expensive. Doesn't really need modding because I've only seen 4 or 5 others on the road, anyway.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Shivers own. Front bulb will be because they're a bit stiffly sprung, and that rattles bulbs to death (my streetfighter Gixxer eats headlights rather regularly).

For the love of good stick some Leo Vince cans on it. That motor sounds in-credible with some pipes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Shivers own. Front bulb will be because they're a bit stiffly sprung, and that rattles bulbs to death (my streetfighter Gixxer eats headlights rather regularly).

For the love of good stick some Leo Vince cans on it. That motor sounds in-credible with some pipes.

The guys I get my tyres from do tuning (including custom exhausts) and keep trying to sell me some pipes for it, but I'm reluctant for two reasons - first, the seat is hot enough as it is, christ knows how hot it'll be without the heat shielding around it and two, I'm a bit leary of loud pipes because the police have been really cracking down in the last few years and i don't have a tame MOT mechanic to sign off on them being legal like I did when i had my Mille or my Laverda.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If you get the mid-pipe and/or get it dyno tuned you'll more than likely get less heat. The cat will be a major source of heat + it's probably mapped quite lean for emissions purposes.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The guys I get my tyres from do tuning (including custom exhausts) and keep trying to sell me some pipes for it, but I'm reluctant for two reasons - first, the seat is hot enough as it is, christ knows how hot it'll be without the heat shielding around it and two, I'm a bit leary of loud pipes because the police have been really cracking down in the last few years and i don't have a tame MOT mechanic to sign off on them being legal like I did when i had my Mille or my Laverda.

Burwin's are my go-to MOTist, they're sensible to the extent that they may be a litte lenient :)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

2ndclasscitizen posted:

If you get the mid-pipe and/or get it dyno tuned you'll more than likely get less heat. The cat will be a major source of heat + it's probably mapped quite lean for emissions purposes.

Actually you could be on to something there - the cat is pretty much directly under the seat (it's just behind the rear shock in that photo) and doesn't have any kind of shielding, and is probably the hottest part of the whole bike. The seat itself doesn't get particularly hot, so yeah the cat is probably a pretty big source of the heat I feel.

Hmm, now you've got me thinking, especially as I've got a shitload of overtime coming up in the next few months...

_Dav posted:

Burwin's are my go-to MOTist, they're sensible to the extent that they may be a litte lenient :)

They're quite near my work, and I'm due for my first MOT this month, so I might take it up there and have a chat with them - thanks for the tip.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Does the Shiver have separate muffler and cat? Or is it one big unit styled to look like a pair of cans? If the former, a de-cat pipe but with the stock mufflers shouldn't make it that much louder. You should definitely get a Powercommander and dyno tune if you do though. You'll notice the heat difference though.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Please don't remove cats from vehicles equipped with them, they're there for a reason. :(

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Does the Shiver have separate muffler and cat? Or is it one big unit styled to look like a pair of cans? If the former, a de-cat pipe but with the stock mufflers shouldn't make it that much louder. You should definitely get a Powercommander and dyno tune if you do though. You'll notice the heat difference though.

It's a bit of a weird design. The cat is down between the swingarm mounts, then there's a big muffler sort of shaped like a tail tidy under the front seat, then it splits into two smaller mufflers under the rear seat - it's noticeable that all of the aftermarket cans are either much fatter than the original or stick out further from the back, apart from the very loudest ones.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Please don't remove cats from vehicles equipped with them, they're there for a reason. :(

:tinfoil:Well they're really there on bikes and small-capacity cars because of lobbying by platinum and rhodium mining concerns to make them a mandatory part of the Euro3 emissions regulations even though better technologies - exhaust air injection (Honda and BMW), stratified-charge direct petrol injection (Aprilia/Rotax), ultra-lean-burn with water injection (known since before the war, but revived by multiple manufacturers in the early 2000s) - exist that can reduce emissions *and* improve power/economy without needing a grands worth of precious metals stuffed into your exhaust. :tinfoil: (Actually partially true, certainly for very small capacity engines, and Euro3 effectively killed most of those technologies by specifically mandating cats no matter how clean the engine is - there's no real evidence that it was the mining companies that caused it, it was probably just legislative laziness)

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
i bought another honda...

1990 honda cb-1 with about 28k on it. picked it up today for $1700.

it feels really familiar to ride and during the test ride, i was winding her up all the way to redline up redwood road. sup z3n.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Goddamn that's a good deal on a CB1. Especially out here, in the land of absurdly overpriced bikes.

I live right near the end of Redwood...someday we should go for a ride.

Silvah
Aug 27, 2004
s0me

Mcqueen posted:

Whats the real world gas millage on the FZ8 like? I was looking at the FZ1 when I was shopping for a larger standard to replace my FZ6 but everyone said the FZ1 had poo poo millage. If they fixed that the FZ8 would make for an absolutely awesome commuter.

I've been pulling about 45 MPG average. I got 50 MPG putting around Big Bear Lake/Lake Arrowhead on my last fill-up (100 miles even in 2.00x gallons). I haven't seen anything less than roughly 45 MPG with my average riding (80% street/canyons, 20% freeway). I'm definitely happy with the mileage.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Silvah posted:

I've been pulling about 45 MPG average. I got 50 MPG putting around Big Bear Lake/Lake Arrowhead on my last fill-up (100 miles even in 2.00x gallons). I haven't seen anything less than roughly 45 MPG with my average riding (80% street/canyons, 20% freeway). I'm definitely happy with the mileage.

Thanks for the input!

That Shiver should be in orange, btw. It's still awesome

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mcqueen posted:

Thanks for the input!

That Shiver should be in orange, btw. It's still awesome

Black is the only acceptable colour for a motorcycle. It's like, the law or something.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Black is the only acceptable colour for a motorcycle. It's like, the law or something.

Sorry, its black with neon green accents. Cyberbike.exe

I've been looking into one of those green drive chains they have, maybe even a neon green windscreen for my 250ex. Really just go nuts with it

edit: yellow is also acceptable, especially if you match it with bruce lee yellow racing leathers

ADINSX fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 17, 2012

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

I think you posted the SRX before? When I had my TRX I bought a few things from KEDO, and they do a huge amount of stuff for those singles:

http://www.kedo.com/

Probably posted this at you before and forgotten of course.

Deeters posted:

Accidental power wheelies are one of the most fun things about a Buell (or any v-twin really).

Shortly thereafter followed by non-accidental power wheelies, followed by non-accidental power wheelies all the time. :stare:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Saga posted:

I think you posted the SRX before? When I had my TRX I bought a few things from KEDO, and they do a huge amount of stuff for those singles:

http://www.kedo.com/

Probably posted this at you before and forgotten of course.

Let's just say I've received many a package with the trademark liquorice roll included.

darklcd
Apr 13, 2012

'89 Honda CBR 600

Just picked it up on Saturday, first bike. The fairings were put on like poo poo when I got it and the bike wasn't the cleanest so I pulled everything off and got them cleaned up and lined up a lot better.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Paint the mirrors the same as the Reston the bike, please.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That sure looks like a Ninja

darklcd
Apr 13, 2012

Frankston posted:

Paint the mirrors the same as the Reston the bike, please.

Yeah right now my to-do list is new mirrors, flush mounted rear signals/cutting off the signal mounting bars, exhaust, and whenever I get the tires changed I'm probably going to get the wheels powdercoated black.

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

blue squares posted:

That sure looks like a Ninja

That's definitely not a Ninja

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boss
Feb 23, 2011
Finally got my new SV to start looking close to how I want it.