Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

efcso posted:

Portraits are still something very new to me. My youngest kids arrived this week on a holiday from Finland, so I thought I'd have a bash. I like these ones, of course because they're my kids, but I have no idea how they might look to an impartial observer.

What, if anything, did I get right. What can I improve upon? Any feedback will be heartily welcomed.
Shoot in better light or use an off camera flash or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Intuition posted:

So newish to portrait work but here's three of my favorite shots, cause I thought I'd share.

gio in red 3 by vampiressjt, on Flickr

I really, really like this — perhaps despite and perhaps because of the remarkable tonality change on her lips. Well lit, too, and a good stare through that fabric.

A few more from my office.

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

thetzar posted:

I really, really like this — perhaps despite and perhaps because of the remarkable tonality change on her lips. Well lit, too, and a good stare through that fabric.

A few more from my office.

You've got some interesting moments here, but these are oversharpened by a mile. Really way past the point of distraction, and I don't feel like there's a reason for it in your execution.

Intuition
Oct 9, 2012

thetzar posted:

Yea the model and make up artist were both sort of on the fence about the lips. It was towards the end of the shoot and it had worn down. I love it though, hence why I kept it haha. That whole shoot was the result of a random midnight idea that took a life of it's own!

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

McMadCow posted:

You've got some interesting moments here, but these are oversharpened by a mile. Really way past the point of distraction, and I don't feel like there's a reason for it in your execution.

Yeah it's doing very unkind things to their skin.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

McMadCow posted:

That's interesting, because the sharpening is set to Lightroom defaults; and low for screen export. I think it might be more a factor of that rimlight than any actual sharpening that's giving the skin that texture.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

thetzar posted:

That's interesting, because the sharpening is set to Lightroom defaults; and low for screen export. I think it might be more a factor of that rimlight than any actual sharpening that's giving the skin that texture.

It's the lighting and the lack of makeup giving it that look.

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!

efcso posted:

Portraits are still something very new to me. My youngest kids arrived this week on a holiday from Finland, so I thought I'd have a bash. I like these ones, of course because they're my kids, but I have no idea how they might look to an impartial observer.

What, if anything, did I get right. What can I improve upon? Any feedback will be heartily welcomed.

20130619-GH8E2897-2 by efcso1, on Flickr

20130619-GH8E2881-2 by efcso1, on Flickr

20130619-GH8E2741-2 by efcso1, on Flickr

I had another crack at doing this again. I dunno if they look any better or not.
(my hosting)
http://www.efcsomedia.net/Portraits/Family/30153494_CjWqzW

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

efcso posted:

I had another crack at doing this again. I dunno if they look any better or not.
(my hosting)
http://www.efcsomedia.net/Portraits/Family/30153494_CjWqzW

They look a little stronger from a technical perspective. It throws me a bit that the far eye is in focus and not the closest eye in the second photo. I like the sepia one the best - interesting "between moments" pose and interesting shapes in the background that don't compete for attention with the subject. What I don't get is a sense of the personality of your kids; try and bring story and movement into the images - not motion blur, but movement. Try and get a little something of who they are into the image. Easier said than done, I know, but that's a good long-term goal.

Hello, sorry I've not been around for a million years. I've been lurking a bit. Anyway, here is the first of a series of portraits I'm going to do on personas / alter egos, mainly by photographing performers of various kinds. Let me know if it grabs you in any way or if you think it's boring.

EDIT: Oh and please click through to full screen, because it's a bit more interesting with more detail.

Gazmachine fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 24, 2013

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Gazmachine posted:

Hello, sorry I've not been around for a million years. I've been lurking a bit. Anyway, here is the first of a series of portraits I'm going to do on personas / alter egos, mainly by photographing performers of various kinds. Let me know if it grabs you in any way or if you think it's boring.

EDIT: Oh and please click through to full screen, because it's a bit more interesting with more detail.

Very cool concept and brilliantly executed. Can't wait for the rest of the serie!

Been away, but lurking also.

Still shooting away tho :) Done with two painted polysterene boards, a huge window and a white reflector.

img_2585 by avoyer, on Flickr

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!

Gazmachine posted:

They look a little stronger from a technical perspective. It throws me a bit that the far eye is in focus and not the closest eye in the second photo. I like the sepia one the best - interesting "between moments" pose and interesting shapes in the background that don't compete for attention with the subject. What I don't get is a sense of the personality of your kids; try and bring story and movement into the images - not motion blur, but movement. Try and get a little something of who they are into the image. Easier said than done, I know, but that's a good long-term goal.

Thanks for that! I've only got 2 weeks until the youngest two go back home, so I'm trying something nearly every day to get some decent pics, as well as the challenge I've set myself to get better at shooting people doing something other than playing sports. I have to say this thread is not only full of great examples, but lots of ideas and advice to try assimilating.

We've now got a nice big East Coast Low that has settled in for the week, so it looks like indoor is going to be the venue - also something I rarely do. Oh well, time for a red-hot go.

Gazmachine posted:

These are great! I love the colour and detail!

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct
Processing is a little heavy on the irises, treading into vampire eyes territory. I know it's your style so feel free to disregard.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

bobz0r posted:

Processing is a little heavy on the irises, treading into vampire eyes territory. I know it's your style so feel free to disregard.

Yeah I was tending toward that self-critique also. I'll need to tone down the eyes for sure, it's good to have someone else than myself point it out, so thanks! :)

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Gazmachine posted:

I love the concept and it's really well done.

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
Did a very quick portrait/snapshot for a couple that I had just met. I think it turned out alright, however the sky was really blown out and dull so I was wondering if it looks too processed/overly saturated.

Tucker Portrait by LeeMHarp, on Flickr

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Looks great! Looks like you did a really nice job of recovering the sky without it looking pasted-in. They must love it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The halo around her right arm is distracting to me, but therwise I like it! It is the kind of shot where you could have pretty easily pasted In a sky though.

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
Thanks, ill take another look at her arm; I'm relatively new to Lightroom and that's my first attempted at using the brush for something like that.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Shooting male models is fun.

IMG_2962 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_2826 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_2815 by avoyer, on Flickr

xenilk fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 25, 2013

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I dunno if this counts as a portrait, but it's a favourite from today :)

Clean chamber suiting by NoneMoreNegative, on Flickr

This is with the lens pressed up against the plastic to minimise reflections, not straightened as I want to keep the rim of the suit seal visible at the bottom of the frame.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

xenilk posted:

Shooting male models is fun.

IMG_2962 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_2826 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_2815 by avoyer, on Flickr

These are just fantastic. Was the model a friend of yours, or were you on assignment? The bold lighting mixed with the tight DOF really works here; was it all window light?

uber
Apr 13, 2009

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I dunno if this counts as a portrait, but it's a favourite from today :)

Clean chamber suiting by NoneMoreNegative, on Flickr

This is with the lens pressed up against the plastic to minimise reflections, not straightened as I want to keep the rim of the suit seal visible at the bottom of the frame.

I have no idea what's going on in this image but I love it. I think it would have been slightly better with a shorter focal length, but it's fantastic as is.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

uber posted:

I have no idea what's going on in this image but I love it. I think it would have been slightly better with a shorter focal length, but it's fantastic as is.

Shooting for work in the Special Medicines lab, the guy is getting into a heavy suit attached to a 'clean chamber' where they can work on producing and packaging meds in a sterile atmosphere. I was in a tyvek onsie with booties, hair net and beard net while shooting this :o:

I agree about the DOF, but I've only just got a fullframe 5D3 and the DOF being thinner on it at 2.8 than my 1.6crop has made me a little wary until I get to know it better; there's a couple shots I've made that would have been OK on my 50D at 2.8 that have come out with too-shallow DOF, and I don't want to mess up stuff I can't easily reshoot. Practice makes perfect and all that :)

uber
Apr 13, 2009

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Shooting for work in the Special Medicines lab, the guy is getting into a heavy suit attached to a 'clean chamber' where they can work on producing and packaging meds in a sterile atmosphere. I was in a tyvek onsie with booties, hair net and beard net while shooting this :o:

I agree about the DOF, but I've only just got a fullframe 5D3 and the DOF being thinner on it at 2.8 than my 1.6crop has made me a little wary until I get to know it better; there's a couple shots I've made that would have been OK on my 50D at 2.8 that have come out with too-shallow DOF, and I don't want to mess up stuff I can't easily reshoot. Practice makes perfect and all that :)

Oh, I wasn't referring to DOF, just that I would have liked to see a little more around the edges of the image (the hole at the bottom, like you mentioned). That's a nitpick though; I absolutely love the colors, the light and the subject. It all makes me laugh and want to see more.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

uber posted:

Oh, I wasn't referring to DOF, just that I would have liked to see a little more around the edges of the image (the hole at the bottom, like you mentioned). That's a nitpick though; I absolutely love the colors, the light and the subject. It all makes me laugh and want to see more.

Ah, gotcha :) Looking at the exif that was the widest the 24-70 would go and that's all I had, not being allowed to take my bag in and not having any pockets in my plastic suit :o:

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

thetzar posted:

These are just fantastic. Was the model a friend of yours, or were you on assignment? The bold lighting mixed with the tight DOF really works here; was it all window light?

Thank you :) It's a guy who was selected by the hair salon to do a shoot which has no experience so it was a good challenge.

The whole setup consist of two polystyrene boards in an L shape near a window that has fabric on it to defuse light (I usually put the fabric that covers appliances, I find it diffuses the light quite evenly :)) and a white reflector.

Edit: new things

IMG_5539 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_5698 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_5508 by avoyer, on Flickr

xenilk fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 26, 2013

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
I'm used to doing landscape shots for fun, but a close friend, who's an aspiring singer , wanted me to do some portraits.

Portrait 2 by DAMNNIGERIAN, on Flickr

Portrait 3 : Cross Currents by DAMNNIGERIAN, on Flickr

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

thetzar posted:

Oops I never replied! Thanks a lot :)

I was on assignment for a hair salon but the people there were not models from agencies, they are clients who actually go to the salon. It was the salon's way to showcase what they do with real people, I thought that was pretty clever :)

You can see my setup here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRqzaTO9Hqk

It consist of a big window with some fabric to defuse the light and two polyboards setup in an L shape and the use of a white reflector sometimes.

Here's another picture I really like of the guy:

IMG_2910 by avoyer, on Flickr

xenilk fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 29, 2013

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

One of the high-key portraits I did, maybe I went too far with the high-key part.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Jonathon Cropped by torgeaux, on Flickr

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

drat NIGGA posted:

I'm used to doing landscape shots for fun, but a close friend, who's an aspiring singer , wanted me to do some portraits.

Portrait 2 by DAMNNIGERIAN, on Flickr

Portrait 3 : Cross Currents by DAMNNIGERIAN, on Flickr

He doesn't have much of a chin, a problem I share, avoid shooting from low angle to prevent making this worse. I say that now here's a photo of me shot from a low angle. Have not had much time to shoot recently as I'm overworked massively. Still, was on a TVC for a major wine maker recently so that's some contacts I could end up seeing again.

The Hood-1 by TimFPictures, on Flickr

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
Ran around at a wedding this past weekend, shot this of my best friend and his brothers, though my experience with photographing people is limited. I think it turned out ok, but underexposed a bit. Adjusted some in Irfanview and cropped out nonsense on the left and right.

Bros. by ryantss, on Flickr

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Those people are heck of red. Get some of that red out of there.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Another one from the Persona series I'm doing. I have looked at this and every other possible frame I was thinking about using so loving many times that it has lost all meaning. Just shapes and colours.

Anyway....enjoy?

(again click through and fullscreen it for MAXIMUM EFFECT)

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Gazmachine posted:

Another one from the Persona series I'm doing. I have looked at this and every other possible frame I was thinking about using so loving many times that it has lost all meaning. Just shapes and colours.

Anyway....enjoy?

(again click through and fullscreen it for MAXIMUM EFFECT)

Negative space on the right of the first isn't doing it for me, portraiture is about filling the frame, in one way or another and I'm just kind of wandering around in this space till I hit the mirror. The concept of using a reflection, especially given the subject matter, is very apropos.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

XTimmy posted:

...portraiture is about filling the frame...

I disagree with this.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I also disagree, and really like both of them.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

I think these would be a lot more effective if you mounted the camera on a tripod and didn't move it between shots. Also it looks like one of the BDSM tool things is on the bed in the second shot which hurts the separation between images.

XTimmy posted:

portraiture is about filling the frame

I can't believe you actually said this. No this ain't Nam', but there still aren't rules. Sometimes portraiture can be about filling the frame, but it certainly doesn't have to be. poo poo, some of the portraits you've posted in this thread break your own portraiture philosophy.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

RangerScum posted:

I think these would be a lot more effective if you mounted the camera on a tripod and didn't move it between shots. Also it looks like one of the BDSM tool things is on the bed in the second shot which hurts the separation between images.

:siren:FUNNY STORY:siren: that was the idea and I did indeed bring a tripod and mounted the camera on it, then I went and knocked it halfway through shooting the second look. What's extra funny is that I don't drive and this girl lives a long loving way away, so I lost about a pound in sweat carrying the drat thing there! :suicide:

As for the riding crop, it was a poorly placed afterthought: the idea with the "normal" image is to leave an element of the Alter Ego in the image. In this case, we had the outfit itself, which probably would have been enough, and I agree the riding crop on the bed was a mistake and looks accidental, which is one of my own critiques of this image. From what you've said, it's clear that it's coming across as accidental. Oh well, that's what you get when you overthink a shot!

Thanks all for the input, it's very much appreciated.

EDIT: I left the doorframe in partly because I preferred the composition and partly to attempt to bring more story to the persona: along with the direction of her gaze I wanted to try and convey a presence of another person, which I was hoping the doorframe would communicate by suggesting someone was entering the room. Don't know if anyone picked up on that.

Gazmachine fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
I disagree with all of you.