Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Lets say you get a ticket for reckless driving. Within days you're flooded with fliers from law firms begging to represent you for a small fee (typically ~$500) and claim that 90% of their clients get their charge reduced. They'll even appear in court for you so you can stay in bed!

My questions are, (1) how do they get your address and mail you the fliers, and (2) what do they say to the judge to get the charge reduced? I imagine they go to the bench and cite a court ruling from 1980, or cite an obscure law or something, and since it got one person off it should get another person off. But I know this is likely not the case. Also, (3) why can't Joe Schmo go to the judge and do this himself (leaving out the lawyer as the middleman) and (4) why can't the lawyer get the other 10% of his clients off the hook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

935 posted:

Lets say you get a ticket for reckless driving. Within days you're flooded with fliers from law firms begging to represent you for a small fee (typically ~$500) and claim that 90% of their clients get their charge reduced. They'll even appear in court for you so you can stay in bed!

My questions are, (1) how do they get your address and mail you the fliers, and (2) what do they say to the judge to get the charge reduced? I imagine they go to the bench and cite a court ruling from 1980, or cite an obscure law or something, and since it got one person off it should get another person off. But I know this is likely not the case. Also, (3) why can't Joe Schmo go to the judge and do this himself (leaving out the lawyer as the middleman) and (4) why can't the lawyer get the other 10% of his clients off the hook?

1. Listed on the ticket which becomes public info
2. Will meet with prosecuting atty, say 'hey can I get this reduced to a Speeding w/ x points? Also are we still on for BW3 at lunch?'
3. You are not on for BW3 at lunch w/ prosecutor.
4. 'hey can I get this reckless reduced, even though Mr. Client has had 13 recklesses this year?' 'No.'

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

935 posted:

1) Public record.
2) They know the intricacies of the law and other relevant court rulings, and how it applies to their client's situation.
3) See #2.
4) "Off the hook" is not the same thing as a reduced charge, but even still some people do some stupid things that no lawyer could help make better for them. Also, breaking the law is breaking the law, and not everyone gets offered a chance to plea down.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Abugadu posted:

2. Will meet with prosecuting atty, say 'hey can I get this reduced to a Speeding w/ x points? Also are we still on for BW3 at lunch?'
4. 'hey can I get this reckless reduced, even though Mr. Client has had 13 recklesses this year?' 'No.'
As a prosecutor, or former prosecutor (I'm not exactly sure what child support counts as), would you have lunch with a traffic attorney?
Hell no. Especially is if he was buying that might be an ethical issue.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Kalman posted:

I am not your lawyer, consult someone who is for actual legal advice, etc.
(snip)

Mmmm that is basically what I thought. Thanks for the reply.
Siiiigh. Now we gotta figure out what to actually do :P

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Can I ask minor questions about the forms for a name change in this thread or is there a more appropriate one?

Yes.
Probably not.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Can I ask minor questions about the forms for a name change in this thread or is there a more appropriate one?

I've helped a number of clients change their name. Ask away.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Ok cool, thanks. I don't know if anyone has knowledge about Florida's forms, but here goes:

The 12 Rules for Courtroom Civility and the Civil Cover Sheet (12 rules and 12.928) have fields for a respondent to be listed, but as I'm just getting a personal name change, I just leave those blank right?

On the petition for the name change itself (12.982 a) it says to list the schools I graduated from. Does that include High School? Also, do I include the addresses in with that?

Also on the petition, where it asks for previous addresses, do I include addresses from when I was a minor? What if I don't know the exact addresses? And Should I include a rental property we were in for a couple months while we were waiting for a house to be finished?

When it asks for previous employers, can I exclude employers I was with for only 2-3 weeks? And is it ok to list 'student' under current occupation, or just 'unemployed'?

Thanks in advance, and I hope there is someone who can answer these!

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Abugadu posted:

Replace "prosecuting attorney" with "officer who wrote the ticket," and that's what I've seen go down. Namely because I've never seen a prosecuting attorney in traffic court.

Oh, and less about lunch dates and more conversations about family and hunting.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Green Crayons posted:

Replace "prosecuting attorney" with "officer who wrote the ticket," and that's what I've seen go down. Namely because I've never seen a prosecuting attorney in traffic court.

Oh, and less about lunch dates and more conversations about family and hunting.

I've dealt with prosecuting attorneys in some Tennessee counties for tickets against commercial licenses, but they are prosecuted in sessions court so it wasn't really traffic court.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Ok cool, thanks. I don't know if anyone has knowledge about Florida's forms, but here goes:

The 12 Rules for Courtroom Civility and the Civil Cover Sheet (12 rules and 12.928) have fields for a respondent to be listed, but as I'm just getting a personal name change, I just leave those blank right?
That'll be fine.

On the petition for the name change itself (12.982 a) it says to list the schools I graduated from. Does that include High School? Also, do I include the addresses in with that?
I'd include High School, and list city and state but not street address.

Also on the petition, where it asks for previous addresses, do I include addresses from when I was a minor? What if I don't know the exact addresses? And Should I include a rental property we were in for a couple months while we were waiting for a house to be finished?
This form says from birth. If you don't know, put as much as you can. I'd include the rental property.

When it asks for previous employers, can I exclude employers I was with for only 2-3 weeks? And is it ok to list 'student' under current occupation, or just 'unemployed'?
I'd include all your empolyers (for the last 5 years). If you're a student, you can list that as current occupation.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Thanks in advance, and I hope there is someone who can answer these!

First, with things like this, your first resource is the clerk of your local court. Don't be afraid to call the clerk's office with your questions - they will know the answers and usually are happy to help.

Yes, I would leave the respondent field blank on the cover sheet - although to be honest, I would just fill out Form 12.982(a) and take it with me to the courthouse, and then fill in the cover sheet with the clerk standing there helping me.

I would include High schools, colleges, vocational schools, whatever. I would not include addresses.

The form says to list addresses "from birth" so I would put down every place I ever lived. If I couldn't remember an exact address, I would include the entry on my list with the appropriate dates, and I would make a note that I can't remember the exact street address. That way your timeline is unbroken. I really don't think the court is going to care if you can't remember every address you've ever lived at, including as a kid. I'm surprised they ask for this, actually, as the states where I've helped people are a lot less stringent.

For employment, I'm sure you can list student or unemployed. You can probably leave off employment that was short-term, but it wouldn't hurt to list it.

The most important part of the name change process, from the court's point of view, is making sure that a) you aren't trying to escape from your creditors, b) you aren't wanted for criminal matters, and c) you aren't trying to commit fraud on the public in some way.

Just call the clerk's office if you have additional questions, they will know the answers waaaaay better than I.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Ok, thanks for the answers! I guess I glazed over the 'from birth' part..

Teenagers
Sep 5, 2007

hail satan
e: never mind, wasn't made aware of all of the facts which changed everything

Teenagers fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 7, 2012

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Is a municipal code (Pacifica, California) under copyright? The publication of the code is contracted out to an exclusive publisher (municode.com) and I understand that unique formating and editorial enhancements are under copyright, but what about the text of the code itself?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Is a municipal code (Pacifica, California) under copyright? The publication of the code is contracted out to an exclusive publisher (municode.com) and I understand that unique formating and editorial enhancements are under copyright, but what about the text of the code itself?

Yes

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Yes

Bummer. I was hoping that courts had considered muni codes part of the public domain in instances like these.

Thanks for your time and reply!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Bummer. I was hoping that courts had considered muni codes part of the public domain in instances like these.

Thanks for your time and reply!

On the other hand, here's a resource I disagree with (My position is that they are copyrightable, but that almost any conceivable use is fair use)

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

On the other hand, here's a resource I disagree with (My position is that they are copyrightable, but that almost any conceivable use is fair use)

Thanks for that link.

Prior to posting, I paged thru Nimmer on Copyright which in a single paragraph simply states that 105 does not preclude states from owning copyrights, but offers no illustrative case law.

I'll probably have to run a case law search to run this one down.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 9, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I think you may be incorrect, but I'm not the ip attorney. I know there's been some issues with this re:penal codes.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

nm posted:

I think you may be incorrect, but I'm not the ip attorney. I know there's been some issues with this re:penal codes.

Well, the courts are getting it wrong then, insofar as the Copyright Act clearly states that all fixed works are copyrighted except for those created by the federal government, but it's hardly a big deal given that it's all the same result.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Yes

May I ask what you base your unqualified yes on?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ibntumart posted:

May I ask what you base your unqualified yes on?

17 U.S.C. §§ 102, 105.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

17 U.S.C. §§ 102, 105.

Great, but what do you do with Veeck then? Sure, it's a Fifth Circuit decision and not binding elsewhere, but it's not as if the judges reached their decision in a vacuum.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

nm posted:

As a prosecutor, or former prosecutor (I'm not exactly sure what child support counts as), would you have lunch with a traffic attorney?
Hell no. Especially is if he was buying that might be an ethical issue.

Here, any contested tickets with legal representation requires notice to the prosecution division prior to trial. I learned this includes being an attorney yourself and just contesting your own ticket, according to the former traffic referee who had some interesting opinions.

Also, as a child support attorney, I'm no longer a prosecutor, I'm a persecutor.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Well, the courts are getting it wrong then, insofar as the Copyright Act clearly states that all fixed works are copyrighted except for those created by the federal government, but it's hardly a big deal given that it's all the same result.
Westlaw just crashed on my rear end, but the case law in California is this:

quote:

State law “determines whether [a public official] may claim a copyright in his
office’s creations.” (Microdecisions, Inc. v. Skinner (2004) 889 S.2d 871, 875; see
County of Suffolk, New York v. First American Real Estate Solutions (2001) 261 F.3d
179, 188; Building Officials & Code Adm’rs, Inc. v. Code Tech, Inc. (1980) 628 F.2d
730, 735-736.) “Each state may determine whether the works of its government entities
may be copyrighted.” (Microdecisions, Inc. v. Skinner, at p. 876.)
http://www.firstamendmentcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Santa-Clara-appeal-decision.pdf
I don't know what CA law is for muni codes though. This is why the guy should hire a lawyer.

Abugadu posted:

Also, as a child support attorney, I'm no longer a prosecutor, I'm a persecutor.
People care more about not paying child support than jail or children, T/F?

nm fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 10, 2012

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
State: Washington
What: Traffic violation
What2: I was driving on the highway doing 70 in a 55 zone talking on my cell phone (against the law in my county/state)

I was pulled over by an undercover state trooper. After looking at my ID and other information he ended up writing me a ticket for 5 over as a warning ($93.00) but wrote on there that I was doing 70 and on my phone.

I have two options that I am considering... mitigation and just paying the fine. I am considering mitigation because I have never been pulled over and have never gotten a ticket. But what I'm wondering is... will the judge see the extra information and possibly make the fine greater or what? Should I just pay the fine?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

nm posted:

Westlaw just crashed on my rear end, but the case law in California is this:

http://www.firstamendmentcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Santa-Clara-appeal-decision.pdf
I don't know what CA law is for muni codes though. This is why the guy should hire a lawyer.

That, at least, makes sense, like the state decides whether a work is released to the public domain, like any other author.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Abugadu posted:

You monster.

Red Robin Hood posted:

State: Washington
What: Traffic violation
What2: I was driving on the highway doing 70 in a 55 zone talking on my cell phone (against the law in my county/state)

I was pulled over by an undercover state trooper. After looking at my ID and other information he ended up writing me a ticket for 5 over as a warning ($93.00) but wrote on there that I was doing 70 and on my phone.

I have two options that I am considering... mitigation and just paying the fine. I am considering mitigation because I have never been pulled over and have never gotten a ticket. But what I'm wondering is... will the judge see the extra information and possibly make the fine greater or what? Should I just pay the fine?
Everything I know about a "Mitigation Hearing" I just learned from here. In the states I've lived in, we just call that "groveling." Also, I'm not an attorney -- but I've been to traffic court plenty of times!

The judge will see that you were going 70 and on your phone. The judge will know that the officer knocked the fine down to 5 MPH over the limit. The judge will ask why you think your "first time" doing something incredibly reckless (15+ AND talking on your cell phone? My god, you're worse than Abugadu, you fiend!) should net you a greater mitigation than what the officer already gave you. After your bumbling response, the court will either enforce the 5 MPH over fine or get all irritated that you're wasting the court's time and charge you whatever the full fine is for the 15 over and talking on a cell.

In other words, just pay the $100 fine, be glad the officer didn't gently caress you over, and don't speed and talk on your cell phone in the future.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
My mother passed away a few years ago, and I have some questions about the medical care she received in the last few months of her life. I assume that the doctors would release the medical records to my father without much hassle, but my concerns are not something I really want to discuss with him, or any of my other family members.

Would I be able to get access to my mother's medical records without my father having to get involved? What kind of lawyer would be able to help me do so?

Fluorescent
Jun 5, 2011

재미있는 한국어.
Here's the situation (state of Ohio, Butler county):
After a year of being in my sorority, last semester, I couldn't pay my sorority dues. I was going to deactivate, but the then-president told me that she would be willing to let me stay for free that semester and she would set up a scholarship account in order to pay for me. I stayed in that semester based solely on this.

Come this semester, I still cannot afford the dues, and decided to deactivate. The current president told me that I have to pay my dues from last semester and that no scholarship account was set up by the former president. She said if I don't she'll take me to small claims court.

Would she really have a case? I'm stubborn and refuse to pay because if I hadn't been lied to I could have just deactivated last semester and not owe anything (she doesn't know I have no intentions of paying). It would be very annoying if she actually went through with taking me to court over this matter.

Fluorescent fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 10, 2012

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What county is that in Ohio?

Fluorescent
Jun 5, 2011

재미있는 한국어.

euphronius posted:

What county is that in Ohio?

It's in Butler county.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Call the Butler County Legal Referral Service (513) 896-6671.

You should be able to talk to an attorney for 30 mins for like $50 and I think that should be enough to answer your questions.

Sorry I can not address your question though.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FordCQC posted:

My mother passed away a few years ago, and I have some questions about the medical care she received in the last few months of her life. I assume that the doctors would release the medical records to my father without much hassle, but my concerns are not something I really want to discuss with him, or any of my other family members.

Would I be able to get access to my mother's medical records without my father having to get involved? What kind of lawyer would be able to help me do so?

What state are you in?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Green Crayons posted:

You monster.
Everything I know about a "Mitigation Hearing" I just learned from here. In the states I've lived in, we just call that "groveling." Also, I'm not an attorney -- but I've been to traffic court plenty of times!

The judge will see that you were going 70 and on your phone. The judge will know that the officer knocked the fine down to 5 MPH over the limit. The judge will ask why you think your "first time" doing something incredibly reckless (15+ AND talking on your cell phone? My god, you're worse than Abugadu, you fiend!) should net you a greater mitigation than what the officer already gave you. After your bumbling response, the court will either enforce the 5 MPH over fine or get all irritated that you're wasting the court's time and charge you whatever the full fine is for the 15 over and talking on a cell.

In other words, just pay the $100 fine, be glad the officer didn't gently caress you over, and don't speed and talk on your cell phone in the future.

Thank you! I kind of figured as much...

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

entris posted:

What state are you in?

Georgia

untitled
Jun 4, 2004

Feet!!! Not that I'm into that sort of thing....
I am in Pennsylvania.

My husband and I bought a house recently. The former homeowners were getting a divorce, she was already gone. He couldn't afford the house on his own and was in a lot of debt. We bought the house through a real estate company, did the normal closing at a lawyers office, etc. All pretty standard. The ex-wife was not at closing, the husband was. He had to write a check for over $5k to satisfy his mortgage with Wells Fargo. Our mortgage is through a local bank.

I've been getting letters addressed to the previous homeowner and his ex-wife from Wells Fargo about payments being overdue. I also got a letter addressed to them from an insurance company about scheduling a property inspection. I did not open the letters, this is information that was on the outside of the envelope. Each time, I wrote "not at this address" on the envelope and put them back in the mailbox.

So I've gotten enough of these letters to make me nervous so I called my lawyers office. They advised me to bring the letters to them and they will deal with it. They assured me that Wells Fargo was paid.

My question is this. These are not addressed to me. I don't think I have any legal right to take them to my lawyers office, I have to give them back to the post office, right?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Quick question for any Canadian lawyers: does the Young Offenders Act introduce some sort of statute of limitations onto indictable offences? Could I still be charged with something I did 8-10 years ago as a 12-14 year-old (not murder or sexual assault; probably harassment and/or simple assault if anything)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
So, is this legal, or is this "we're going to do it anyways, what are you going to do about it" type of thing.

About 6 months ago, my step father had to have some surgery done on his wrist. Insurance didn't cover all the appointments related to it and they owe tidy sum to an orthopedics office. Now my mother is unemployed, and my step father was on disability until 2 weeks ago when he went back to work. As such, they didn't pay any of the medical bills since they could barely afford the mortgage. Now, all of a sudden today, there's been over $800 taken out of their checking account by the orthopedic firm(well a collection agency for them anyways) which is far more than they even had in it, so they're negative several hundred dollars. The thing is no collection process had ever begun. They were served no papers, not threatened with anything, ect. Just woke up and there's all their money gone.