Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

robcat posted:

Is it a stupid idea to be so bold as to order new gloves sight unseen? I'm not looking for anything crazy, probably just one price tier above the cheapest variety.

Usually there are a couple of different glove styles that all brands share: tradition fits, tapered fits etc. If you know what you're looking for I'd say go for it.

I believe that gloves are noticeably better the higher levels you go, so depending on how much you are playing it might be more efficient pricewise to get a high mid to top tier glove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Holy poo poo, this was part of my problem. My neighbors are terrified. Now to get accuracy down and learn the cheat codes for backhand shots.

Backhand is the same as a forehand shot use the whip you get from the bend of the stick, and let the puck roll from the heel to the toe, and you will feel the momentum lift the puck.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Our playoff chances are getting more and more precarious. Loss last night 3-2 to the bottom ranked team in the league. That's what we get when banter in the locker room is about how the other team is low ranked or about our goalie's high save stats. That's bad joo joo. We gotta stay hungry.

That said, I felt pretty good about my five-hole shot for goal #2. I felt pretty bad, though, after I got knocked over in the other teams crease and fell on top of their goalie. Poor dude was probably a third my size and I turned him into a taco. I could feel that point where his body was supposed to stop bending over...then it kept going with a painful yell to boot. He said it was cool but man, that must have hurt.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=LIQUID18014

Their description makes it sound pretty bad. Does anyone have experience ordering stuff like this?

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

I mentioned a while back I'm a goalie getting a set of forward gear so I can play out of net one division down with some friends. Finally got on the ice for a stick + puck with all my new gear and was kind of surprised what I was good at and what I was not.

This was the first time I was on the ice not in goalie equipment since I was maybe 9 or 10 years old. I wobbled on the unfamiliar curved blades at first and even took a spill early on, but by the end of the session I was moving pretty well, which was kind of expected, in goalie skates I'm plenty agile and I just had to adjust to the difference in the blade. Ironically the biggest challenge was skating backwards, because I think thats the biggest place where the difference between goalie and forward skates comes into play. It took me a while to remember I didn't have that extra steel on my toes.

My stick handling is okay, I think that's pretty quick to relearn as long as you never forgot the fundamentals. Plus, its not like I don't handle the puck playing net.

My shot however is just atrocious. Weak, inaccurate, a few times I even fanned entirely. I came home and watched a bunch of shot technique videos on youtube so hopefully I can sort that out. I think I was shooting like it was ball hockey, which is the closest I've been to playing forward in years. I'm going to tell my teammates not to pass to me until I can actually hit the net from at least slot distance though heh...

edit: forgot to mention the best part. My skates felt awesome. First time I've ever worn them (outside the store), skated as hard as I could for over an hour, and I swear they were more comfortable than my 13+ year old goalie skates. Initially I was going to get Bauers, but every pair I tried on just moved around too much, I think they might have all just been too wide. I ended up paying a lot more than I planned to getting a pair of Graf Supra 703's, but they felt night and day better than everything else. After being on the ice I can confirm they were worth every penny. I was certain my feet were going to hate me but I don't have so much as a blister to show for all that testing.

MANIFEST DESTINY fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 30, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shooting consistency still baffles me. I understand the technique fairly well (I think) but getting all my limbs and muscles to coordinate in the right way to get a quality shot is pretty difficult.

And of course all the guys on the ice have a ton of helpful advice along the lines "just point at the net and roll your wrists!!!" as they snap off a 300 mph wrister. Which I'm sure is good information, but it's like saying all you need to launch a rocket is a tube and some fuel.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

My shot is inconsistent as hell in warm ups, but in game I have noticed a correlation between my distance to the net and the quality of my shot. At the point? My shots are basically deflection-fodder because I get nothing on them. In close and I can snipe that sweet spot between pad and arm before the goalie can react.

I should probably not play defense so much, is my point.

never admit you can skate backwards when you join a team

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

Shooting consistency still baffles me. I understand the technique fairly well (I think) but getting all my limbs and muscles to coordinate in the right way to get a quality shot is pretty difficult.

And of course all the guys on the ice have a ton of helpful advice along the lines "just point at the net and roll your wrists!!!" as they snap off a 300 mph wrister. Which I'm sure is good information, but it's like saying all you need to launch a rocket is a tube and some fuel.

Yeah, I can envision in my head all the ways my body needs to move to get off a perfect wrister, I can just can't usually put it all together on the ice. I've been practicing in the backyard and have logged 3,000 shots and I definitely notice that my shot is a little better but I think I really need to get more on-ice practice in.

I did absolutely smoke one high glove side in a drill last week, the goalie and I both looked at each other like "where the hell did that come from?"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've had a couple where poo poo just kind of falls into place and I zip the puck right into the net, but it's pretty rare.

Of course people see it and are all "okay this kid must be getting pretty good now" and they start passing to me all the time and I gently caress every single attempt up.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

You want to know the secret?

Shoot. Lots.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

And don't ever pass.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

And don't ever pass.

But I love passing. :smith:

Giving someone an easy tap in is ten times more fun than blowing the puck past the goalie.

(and ten times more fun than that is playing defense and completely stonewalling some hotshot Crosby wannabe)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

You want to know the secret?

Shoot. Lots.

Basically this. Shoot a ton off ice. Get a shooting mat, get a net, and shoot. Keep shooting. Get 50 pucks. Shoot them multiple rounds each day.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Passing is for chumps that can't shoot.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm a decent shooter by most standards and I still fan on shots and miss easy targets all the time. Just ask sellouts about my first shot at pond hockey....

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Two weeks off of hockey. Lunch league today. 6 guys. Holy poo poo I was gassed.

We won 9-7.

Lunch league is the best league.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Passing is for chumps that can't shoot.

Most assuredly, but they gave these people a fancy name and everything.

Playmaker. :smug:

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

xzzy posted:

Giving someone an easy tap in is ten times more fun than blowing the puck past the goalie.

(and ten times more fun than that is playing defense and completely stonewalling some hotshot Crosby wannabe)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKWo7EK_W4g&t=220

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

xzzy posted:

I'd call them a Malkin wannabe - Crosby passes. :)

(I agree with your post 100%)

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Hey guys, if anybody's interested I'm selling a pair of Bauer Supreme TotalOne gloves, 14" black.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-hockey-gloves-supreme-totalone-sr.html

They've been worn for one S&P session, and I'm only selling them because they're a bit too small for me (I'm 6' tall for what it's worth). They're practically brand new.

$100, or best offer. PM me for details.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Lawnie posted:

videotape yourself shooting and post it here. i got a lot of really good tips that way.

keeping up with practicing, on the other hand...

If anyone would like to offer pointers, here is my video of my lovely shooting. It is the unedited directors uncut version including my picking up pucks for another round

I already think that I need to start more ahead of the puck. I have a real consistency problem it seems as well.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

AboveAndBeyond posted:

If anyone would like to offer pointers, here is my video of my lovely shooting. It is the unedited directors uncut version including my picking up pucks for another round

I already think that I need to start more ahead of the puck. I have a real consistency problem it seems as well.

what kind of shot are you trying to accomplish in this video?

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

AboveAndBeyond posted:

I'm a horrendously crappy shot myself, but the first thing I noticed is that you shoot from the puck when the puck is by your leading foot, I find it easier to shoot harder when I drag it from behind.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

AboveAndBeyond posted:

I think that Topoisomerase is getting at is that you seem to be taking little swats at the puck for the first bit and then at the end you seem to wind up a little more kind of like a slapshot.

For a wrist shot you would want to be sweeping the puck forward, in continuous contact with the stick blade, and then snapping your wrists over to release the shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIUu28w04Gw

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
A word of advice someone game me that really helped me understand the wrist shot is:
"You're not hitting the puck with your stick, instead you're using the curve of the stick to launch it".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The mechanics of a wrist shot are pretty simple, I think everyone "knows" how to do them once they see them a few times.

Getting all your muscles to trigger in the right way at the right time? Major pain in the rear end. It's a zillion things to remember and if you don't get them all the puck isn't going anywhere.

In other words, my only hope is to convince the wife to let me throw away all our furniture and let me put in a sheet of that synthetic ice so I can work on it constantly until I get it right.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

AboveAndBeyond posted:

You are not using your core/hips really. Stand more upright. You're bending your knees too much and therefore scooping the puck

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 31, 2012

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

AboveAndBeyond posted:

You are trying to lift the puck by opening up your blade really early and getting under the puck. It seems like a natural instinct to some, but it's unfortunately basically the opposite of what you want to do.

Zettace said it (quoted it) really well: you don't want to try and hit the puck. You want to use your stick (and the curve of the blade) to flick or fling the puck in
the direction you want it to go. You might try practicing by starting with the puck on the heel of your stick. The goal of the shot is for the puck to start turning as it travels along the blade of the stick and finally be released off the toe.

I think a good drill to try might be to stand facing the puck and 90 degrees from where you're shooting. The puck is positioned behind your back foot. Get your stick in position, then use your bottom hand to flex to stick into the ground. Then, attempt to shoot, keeping in mind that the puck should start at the heel, travel up the blade and be released off the toe.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 1, 2012

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

At stick & puck today I saw a guy go in close for a shot, and the puck ricocheted off the post and smacked him right on the helmet where the front logo is. He didn't have a visor on but he got lucky.

So yeah, wear a visor guys, at least.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bewbies posted:

I'm a decent shooter by most standards and I still fan on shots and miss easy targets all the time. Just ask sellouts about my first shot at pond hockey....

The first shot I ever saw you take was at the Eagle River rink and it was an absolute bomb that missed high, hit the glass so hard it bounced off to hit me square in the middle of my back as I was skating 6-8 feet from the boards. Which was hilarious.

The first shot at the pond, if I remember correctly was on a wide open net from a stretch pass with no one in your way and might have sailed 2 rinks away. But that's a pretty unique situation. I could also not be remembering correctly because my brain was frozen.

Speaking of, I should post some pictures and try to track down the others from the team. I know there are some good ones

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I want to see you put weight from your back foot onto your front foot through the shot. That plus I want to see your front hand turned over by the end - a complete follow through with the top of your hand facing the sky.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Yeah, you look really awkward and I don't say that to be mean: it's hard to practice something in shoes that you'd do on skates.

Drive with your back leg, that's where the shot power is coming from. Try and flex the stick with your lower hand, the stick snapping back to being straight is how guys put power into a wrist shot.

I feel like you're kind of ducking, you drop straight down with your hips as you shoot. You should be pushing forward with everything you can. Explode through the shot.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Thanks, you guys. I'm gonna compile all these and work on it. I'll report back with more questions probably. 1/2 page of shooting help owns, you all own, hockey owns (and is hard).

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

- Bring your top hand in/down. You've basically got it starting at your ribs, where it's "unloaded". Your lower hand is doing all the work for your shot, and as a result you're not getting any power on it.

- Bring your bottom hand up the shaft a little on your wrister. The more spread your hands are, the less rotational velocity you're going to be able to apply to a wrist shot - keep in mind that you're not "hitting" the puck with a wrist shot, you're grabbing it with your blade and propelling it (think of one of those clay pigeon launchers).

- Start with your body more perpendicular to the shot (i.e. facing the puck). The power of the shot comes from rotating your body, not your arms. Maybe think about your abs as your take the shot. Power comes from within, grasshoppa.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Thanks, you guys. I'm gonna compile all these and work on it. I'll report back with more questions probably. 1/2 page of shooting help owns, you all own, hockey owns (and is hard).

I'd just want to thank you for asking the question, as I've too got some valuable pointers from the answers. If I only had some ice, or an ice rink... Better continue practicing in the basement with an empty box of dip. :smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anders posted:

Better continue practicing in the basement with an empty box of dip. :smith:

Or a montage, which is always the best way to learn any difficult task.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

xzzy posted:

Or a montage, which is always the best way to learn any difficult task.

Just to claifyify, its an empty box of dip I use as a puck, because I don't want to shoot holes in doors with my ice pucks.

It should be said tho, that dip boxes are perfect as a puck substitue on both laminate and wall-to-wall carpets. You just need to tape the lid with electrical tape, and put something in it for more weight.

Yes. It's snow outside. No, no ice.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

shyguy posted:

Hey guys, if anybody's interested I'm selling a pair of Bauer Supreme TotalOne gloves, 14" black.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-hockey-gloves-supreme-totalone-sr.html

They've been worn for one S&P session, and I'm only selling them because they're a bit too small for me (I'm 6' tall for what it's worth). They're practically brand new.

$100, or best offer. PM me for details.

Shoot, just two days too late! Hope you're able to sell'em.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anders posted:

Just to claifyify, its an empty box of dip I use as a puck, because I don't want to shoot holes in doors with my ice pucks..
Yeah, I figured. But it would require me to buy a can 'o cancer. :v:

I just use tennis balls in the living room on a sheet of dry erase board I bought. Not a puck, but it doesn't break windows either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Dry erase board rules. Try going to home depot and finding any kind of lubricant with a "do not apply to floors, you will bust your rear end" warning to put on the board. While you're getting that, get a sheet of plywood or 2 to shoot at.