Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Read posted:

On a topic adjacent to uBlock, people who use uMatrix instead of NoScript can you tell me why specifically you prefer uMatrix? I'm considering switching but I don't really understand why exactly I should other than people saying so.

uBlock was giving me a lot of trouble today out of the blue. Sites with something caught in EasyList seemed to refuse to load. Switched back to ABP and the problems went away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Read posted:

On a topic adjacent to uBlock, people who use uMatrix instead of NoScript can you tell me why specifically you prefer uMatrix? I'm considering switching but I don't really understand why exactly I should other than people saying so.

I use NoScript with uBlock, but since you asked I'll share with you what think them.

uMatrix is better at blocking scripts than NoScript, NoScript only allows you to trust a particular source. So if you allow scripts from Google, you allow them no matter what site you're on. uMatrix allows you to only allow scripts from Google while on a particular page and blocks them otherwise.

However, I use NoScript because it has other security features, like basic XSS protection and "clear click" protection. So even after you allow a site to run javascript, NoScript still checks the scripts to see if they are malicious, uMatrix does not do this.

If you really want to be hardcore, then keep NoScript installed and set it to allow scripts globally ( and use uMatrix to block/unblock scripts), and turn on all of the extra security features of NoScript.

I don't do this though because there just seems like a lot of redundancies when using a combination of uBlock, uMatrix and NoScript.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
What am I doing wrong when posting gifv files? To get them to show up I have to remove the v? Is this what you are supposed to do anyway, I don't really know what gifv is?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

GIFV is an extension imgur uses for MP4 videos. Using videos instead of gifs saves like 90% of space, but since people for some inexplicable reason prefer lovely hosed up image versions of videos, they needed abn extension that says "don't worry, this is really similar to those gif files you love."

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Icept posted:

uBlock was giving me a lot of trouble today out of the blue. Sites with something caught in EasyList seemed to refuse to load. Switched back to ABP and the problems went away.

Exact same thing happened to me today, possibly started yesterday.

Clicking buttons to downloads links wouldn't work, sites would load as if the stylesheets were missing, images and photographs would be missing.

Did exactly the same thing and went back to ABP and everything is fine again.

Firefox and Chrome.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cebrail posted:

GIFV is an extension imgur uses for MP4 videos. Using videos instead of gifs saves like 90% of space, but since people for some inexplicable reason prefer lovely hosed up image versions of videos, they needed abn extension that says "don't worry, this is really similar to those gif files you love."

It's because a GIF will actually play on just about anything, but actual video files can have way more issues. Also you can actualyl put an image file into any forum or whatever, but you really can't do that with video.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I guess also because gifs are short and silent.

I have a tendency to just scroll past video posts if I'm just casually browsing while bored, usually because I can't be bothered to go and look for my headphones, or am listening to music.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
So finally found out why my Firefox wasnt playing any HTML5 sounds through my USB headset.

Apparently the default settings for Razer headsets is to block Youtube by default in the synapse settings.

Only youtube, not ANY OTHER loving MEDIA or audio.

But yeah, so if anyone else is having a similar issue, check your Synapse settings....

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

CyberPingu posted:

So finally found out why my Firefox wasnt playing any HTML5 sounds through my USB headset.

Apparently the default settings for Razer headsets is to block Youtube by default in the synapse settings.

Only youtube, not ANY OTHER loving MEDIA or audio.

But yeah, so if anyone else is having a similar issue, check your Synapse settings....

Everything I hear about Razer makes me glad I bought something else.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Desuwa posted:

Everything I hear about Razer makes me glad I bought something else.

Their mice are pretty decent though.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Avenging Dentist posted:

Their mice are pretty decent though.

Better not say that in the mouse thread. :v:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
You probably don't actually need the Synapse software unless you want app-detection to apply profiles or something, or want to do something really fancy.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Alereon posted:

You probably don't actually need the Synapse software unless you want app-detection to apply profiles or something, or want to do something really fancy.

Software that makes unexpected, unrelated, and unasked for changes is the worst thing to have to try to figure out. At least in this case it's kind of sort of related, but a weird default.

I had some bluetooth software, I think it might have actually been part of the default Windows Bluetooth stack, that popped up an on screen display when you changed caps/num/scroll lock. I never use any of those so I didn't notice it for a week or two after activating Bluetooth and they'd throw me out of full screen games when I fat fingered caps lock. Took me hours looking for malware/unwanted software before I stumbled upon the answer with a lucky Google search.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I use uMatrix, uBlock Origin, and Pushbullet. However, I can't send a text through Pushbullet's extension, only though the full site. I've gone to the site and enabled all the Pushbullet-related things I can find in uMatrix, but the extension still doesn't let me send. Any other ideas?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

hooah posted:

I use uMatrix, uBlock Origin, and Pushbullet. However, I can't send a text through Pushbullet's extension, only though the full site. I've gone to the site and enabled all the Pushbullet-related things I can find in uMatrix, but the extension still doesn't let me send. Any other ideas?

uMatrix Options > Privacy > uncheck "Strict HTTPS: forbid mixed content."

It's probably that.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It was already unchecked. Two options in that tab are currently checked: clear browser cache (every hour) and block all hyperlink auditing attempts.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

hooah posted:

It was already unchecked. Two options in that tab are currently checked: clear browser cache (every hour) and block all hyperlink auditing attempts.

Dunno then, I would suggest posting and issue on his github page, the guy doesn't sleep and will reply within the hour I bet. https://github.com/gorhill/uMatrix/issues

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
uBlock went totally crazy for me a few days ago. Lots of sites (and for some reason mainly the more sane websites) stopped working.
I wanted to file a bug report and thus turned off my other extensions to test this.
Turns out the problem was also caused by No-Script. Disabling that fixed everything.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I just got a new mouse and when I try to open new tabs by middle-clicking, more often than not I go back a page. Only happens on Firefox and searching online tells me to either fix it in my mouse settings or in the about:config for Firefox. Neither one of these options work for some reason; my mouse does not have scroll wheel settings other than "how fast do you want to scroll?" and none of the things they tell me to reconfig in Firefox appear in my configs. :shepicide:

I'm getting really frustrated over this, it's something that should be so simple to fix and shouldn't be that hard to find a solution online.

EDIT: And trying to look up solutions for a logitec mouse only come up with those stupid multi-button mice, my mouse has two buttons and a scroll wheel (so three).

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 27, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The scrollwheel wouldn't happen to be able to tilt left and right, would it?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Flipperwaldt posted:

The scrollwheel wouldn't happen to be able to tilt left and right, would it?

It does, but searching on google it tells me to edit things in the about :config that don't show up so I'm at a loss as what to do. Hell, the mouse settings in my control panel don't even have a section for that.:shrug:

Is there a thread about logitec mouses (mice?) or just all mice in general? I'd like to cover my bases.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

It does, but searching on google it tells me to edit things in the about :config that don't show up so I'm at a loss as what to do. Hell, the mouse settings in my control panel don't even have a section for that.:shrug:

Is there a thread about logitec mouses (mice?) or just all mice in general? I'd like to cover my bases.
You should probably install the proper Logitech driver for the mouse, since the standard Windows drivers almost certainly don't know how to deal with a mouse that has a tilt-wheel.

The Logitech mouse I use at work has that too, and I've simply remapped tilt-left to instead perform a middle-click.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

You can create about:config variables that aren't initialized if they're still supported.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Alereon posted:

I have the chroma series so kinda need synapse for the configuration stuff for that.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

SirViver posted:

You should probably install the proper Logitech driver for the mouse, since the standard Windows drivers almost certainly don't know how to deal with a mouse that has a tilt-wheel.

I'm using the G502 with default Windows drivers, and it even lets me configure how many characters to scroll when you use the horizontal tilt. :shrug:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Is there a userchrome hack to change the colour of the little horizontal 1px grey line between the toolbars and the page you're viewing.

I have a purplish toolbar colour, and the grey line is annoying the poo poo out of me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

isndl posted:

I'm using the G502 with default Windows drivers, and it even lets me configure how many characters to scroll when you use the horizontal tilt. :shrug:
Color me surprised, though the horizontal scroll amount is the only thing it actually lets you configure in that regard (at least on Win 7). If you use SetPoint, you rebind the tilt to do anything you want (screenshot).

@Lum: I'll be damned if I knew what caused that line, the only way I found to get rid of it was to make the document content overflow on top of it, hiding it that way:

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);
#navigator-toolbox { margin-bottom: -1px; }

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

SirViver posted:

#navigator-toolbox { margin-bottom: -1px; }

That got rid of it, thank you!

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

SirViver posted:

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);
I have seen this before but lol.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Don't suppose you know how to make the sidebar a different colour too? (The tree style tab one) I'd like that to be purplish as well :)

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Lum posted:

Don't suppose you know how to make the sidebar a different colour too? (The tree style tab one) I'd like that to be purplish as well :)

Probably the easiest way to do this is to install DOM Inspector. I used to use it a lot for Thunderbird development; it's a great way of figuring out how a UI element is defined/styled.

(If you want to go full-nerd, you can use the remote debugging protocol too, but I think that involves running two separate Firefox instances, which is probably more complex than it's worth for farting around with userChrome.)

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

So, having updated to Windows 10... is there a way for the minimize/maximize/close buttons to not look incredibly ugly with a persona theme? Or do I have to wait for a Firefox upgrade or something?

Same goes for Thunderbird. For now I've reverted to the default theme on both but it's super white and bright.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Pikestaff posted:

So, having updated to Windows 10... is there a way for the minimize/maximize/close buttons to not look incredibly ugly with a persona theme? Or do I have to wait for a Firefox upgrade or something?

Same goes for Thunderbird. For now I've reverted to the default theme on both but it's super white and bright.

That was also a problem in Windows 8. But the current nightly or whatever version the developer version is has that fixed. Also the close buttons on tabs. As I understand the theme changes will be backported to next version of firefox.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Alright, I figured as much. Thanks for the info. Guess I'll just wait for the update.

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy
Quick question:
I bought a new laptop yesterday (runs windows 8 for now) and installed firefox. Everything was working fine yesterday, but today most sites are showing up as 'untrusted connection' pages (even google) how the hell do I fix this?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Stool Sample posted:

Quick question:
I bought a new laptop yesterday (runs windows 8 for now) and installed firefox. Everything was working fine yesterday, but today most sites are showing up as 'untrusted connection' pages (even google) how the hell do I fix this?

Check date/time on your laptop.

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy

MikusR posted:

Check date/time on your laptop.

Are you referring to the date/time in the bottom right corner of my taskbar? (it's showing the correct date/time as far as I can tell) If not, how would I do that?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been trying to sort out some poo poo between Pushbullet and uMatrix, but along the way somehow altered uMatrix to disable 1st-party stuff by default. I removed and re-added it, but that behavior was still present. How do I totally clear it off my systems so I can try again?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Stool Sample posted:

Are you referring to the date/time in the bottom right corner of my taskbar? (it's showing the correct date/time as far as I can tell) If not, how would I do that?

Right click the clock ont he taskbar and select adjust date/time, and verify it's set to the correct day, month, and year, as well as the actual correct time ( worldtimeserver.com is a good place to check for that)

If you accidentally have the date set too far forward or back, your browser will interpret most secure certificates as either not valid yet, or long expired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

hooah posted:

I've been trying to sort out some poo poo between Pushbullet and uMatrix, but along the way somehow altered uMatrix to disable 1st-party stuff by default. I removed and re-added it, but that behavior was still present. How do I totally clear it off my systems so I can try again?

In uMatrix's options > about > reset to defaults.

Or if you want to completely uninstall the addon it's settings are stored in AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\###########.default\extension-data\umatrix.sqlite so delete that.