Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Sneeze Party posted:

What's my best paid option to watch NFL games on Thanksgiving without cable? I have a Fire TV, Hulu, Prime, and Netflix. I'm willing to pay for a month of another service. This is mostly for my Dad, who's coming over that day.

You need FOX, CBS and ESPN. DirecTV Now will cover you and I believe you get a free week if you've never signed up before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Sneeze Party posted:

What's my best paid option to watch NFL games on Thanksgiving without cable? I have a Fire TV, Hulu, Prime, and Netflix. I'm willing to pay for a month of another service. This is mostly for my Dad, who's coming over that day.

An antenna, or a service that carries your locals like Vue.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

You need FOX, CBS and ESPN. DirecTV Now will cover you and I believe you get a free week if you've never signed up before.

Thanksgiving Day games are on NBC, CBS, and Fox. All OTA channels.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

TheScott2K posted:

An antenna, or a service that carries your locals like Vue.
Unfortunately, I live in a place where even the highest-recommended antenna I could find didn't cut it.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Matt Zerella posted:

Awesome. I'll sign up for DirecTV Now for that free week. Thanks for the recommendation.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

Sneeze Party posted:

Unfortunately, I live in a place where even the highest-recommended antenna I could find didn't cut it.

YoutubeTV has all the locals (in my area at least, check their site by putting in your zip). They do a free week trial.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

uberkeyzer posted:

YoutubeTV has all the locals (in my area at least, check their site by putting in your zip). They do a free week trial.
I don't think that YoutubeTV exists on FireTV, and least not officially.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sneeze Party posted:

I don't think that YoutubeTV exists on FireTV, and least not officially.

A Chromecast is a super cheap and highly recommended item anyways.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Keep in mind that DirecTV Now dropped support for the older FireTVs when they rolled out the DVR feature. So make sure to check on that first.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

TheScott2K posted:

Thanksgiving Day games are on NBC, CBS, and Fox. All OTA channels.

Goddamn I haven't been playing attention

Yes if you get these channels OTA great. But some people don't so DTVN would cover you.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Use this tool to see what local channels you get with DTVNow before you sign up

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/attLocalChannels.jsp?assetId=att_cms_local_channels

I get all local channels in SoCal but my family in Nevada doesn’t get any of them so it can vary wildly.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

In the Seattle area DTVN gets the locals but YouTube TV gets a weird generic fox instead of the local fox, so the games they play might be different.

Also we always seem to miss the last five minutes of the Seahawks game because the local after show "isn't available on this device" and the game always runs into its timeslot.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Sub Rosa posted:

Ultra is $50 on Thanksgiving/BF

This is the best deal. The ultra is AWESOME. I'm probably gonna get one for my parents, too. Sadly, my dad is married to his Jadoo for South Asian tv and cricket streams. There's nothing else that can get those, though it's actually not that bad a device.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
YouTube has added a free-to-watch (ad supported) movie section to compete with Tubi/Crackle/etc.:

https://tinyurl.com/yck68xkp

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

YouTube has added a free-to-watch (ad supported) movie section to compete with Tubi/Crackle/etc.:

https://tinyurl.com/yck68xkp

Still get ads if you're a YouTube Premium mark?

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Grant DaNasty posted:

Why not just get them a Roku stick and a cheap tablet for internet browsing?

Browsing on a TV sounds horrible.

My dad just hooked up his computer to his big screen TV in the 90’s, he could do it from a room away.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

So I was hit with the DTV Now outage while hosting on Thanksgiving during the parade and signed up for a month of YouTube TV** so we wouldn't miss it.

YouTube TV is so much better functionally it's not even funny. I love that my tv supports the app so it feels more natural choosing from a guide interface rather than phone app. I could fix this with whatever variety of streaming boxes that support DTV Now, but I really don't want to have to hook another thing up to the TV, especially when it supports so much natively or via built in Chromecast.

YTV just works smoother, loads faster, looks better, but the channel lineup is just terrible for us compared to DTV Now. Missing HGTV, Food Network, and Hallmark (shut up the awful Christmas movies are hilarious).

I just want YTV with the lineup of DTVN.

Gonna cancel YTV and see if I could get some sympathy credit from DTVN for the outage. I should really cancel them both since we rarely use it. I'm on the introductory cheapo plan and just keep holding out hope that they'll add root sports so I can watch my Mariners, but it's probably not worth waiting on.

_____
** Already used my free week when it first launched, could have used a different account but was just focused on getting the parade to work, have an antenna but the big TV doesn't have a tuner (Vizio P65-E1)

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 25, 2018

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

YTTV isn't terrible. It's still a bundled cable package you're buying on top of your internet access though.

It's nice being able to get all your junk on your devices. Have you considered getting an HD HomeRun to accomplish that goal? That puts all your locals on your devices. I subbed to Hallmark for Christmas movies just this month for $6/mo. Food Network and HGTV put most of their poo poo on Hulu.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

jokes posted:

YTTV isn't terrible. It's still a bundled cable package you're buying on top of your internet access though.

It's nice being able to get all your junk on your devices. Have you considered getting an HD HomeRun to accomplish that goal? That puts all your locals on your devices. I subbed to Hallmark for Christmas movies just this month for $6/mo. Food Network and HGTV put most of their poo poo on Hulu.

And Hulu is $1 a month for the next year right now.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

RodShaft posted:

And Hulu is $1 a month for the next year right now.

holy poo poo

they are gonna crank those ads up and push Live and add-ons something fierce, huh

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Jumped on the $1/mo Hulu deal to check it out because why not, already have Netflix and Amazon Prime so wanted to see if it'll add anything. Want to ditch cable entirely, but I can't get a lower price on gigabit FiOS without bundling with an entry level cable package so far, but would love to forgo the set top box fee and live cable TV aside from a few things (Food Network, HGTV, Nick Jr for the kids). Maybe DVTN? YTTV not having Viacom stuff seems to rule it out, though the interface and features seemed better than the others. Maybe Sling TV?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Imho directv has the best channel selection. It sucks so bad that YTTV doesn’t have foodtv because otherwise it’d be perfect for me.

If you don’t care about locals or sports though, Philo is pretty good for $16/mo

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

jokes posted:

Normally I'd tell you to subscribe to their own streaming TV package, HDHR Premium, which is normally pretty decent and is the only one I know of that integrates with 3rd party DVR solutions like Plex, Emby and Google Live Channels, along with your locals, except in a screaming case of irony they are having problems with the Hallmark Channel right now. You know, during the only time of the year anyone watches it.

It is usually pretty good though.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

hulu's servers seem to be down :(

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

hulu's servers seem to be down :(

It took a gazillion retries but I was eventually able to get through it

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I think this is the best place for this question because I feel like we should have a "Google IOT poo poo" thread but we don't.

Am I correct in my understanding that current Android TV boxes are treated like Google Chromecasts with the ability to do other stuff like running streaming apps? I impulse bought two Android TV boxes on Black Friday and it is my understanding that like the Google Home Displays their default mode is the same as a Chromecast and can be used as identical targets for Chomecast stuff like displaying responses from Google Assistant on the TV.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Chromecast-enabled media apps on iOS and Android will see your Android TV devices as Chromecasts, and your Google Home and Google Assistant apps and Home devices will see your TVs as eligible devices to stream Music and Video to on command using the media services currently supported by Google Home. TV HDMI-CEC should also work (“Hey Google, pause, play, stop casting”, auto power on, turn off).

“Hey Google, shut off my TV” is even cooler than controlling my thermostat. Check out the Assistant Routines. “Hey Google, I’m leaving” as I’m walking out the back door lowers my thermostat, turns off the TV and lights, and broadcasts (speaks aloud) to the speaker in my upstairs bedroom to my wife, “I’m leaving. See you later! Call me if you need me.”

I may have misunderstood, but I don’t think you can get your Chromecast TVs to act as smart information displays like the Google Home Hub display.

Does anyone know if security and doorbell cameras are supported by Chromecast/Android TVs and/or Home Hub displays? Like, “Hey Google, show my Ring doorbell camera,” or “show my backyard Nest camera on the TV”?

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 1, 2018

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
The nest cameras work exactly as you describe. I don't know about ring.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Hello thread, my girlfriend and I don't have cable, but I am interested in finding out the absolute cheapest way to get a few channels for her. She wants to watch terrible reality shows like the Kardashians and whatever else there is. Also maybe whatever channel shows golf, but mostly just the reality TV. E!, Bravo, and HGTV would cover most it it I think.

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 4, 2018

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Fun Times! posted:

Hello thread, my girlfriend and I don't have cable, but I am interested in finding out the absolute cheapest way to get a few channels for her. She wants to watch terrible reality shows like the Kardashians and whatever else there is. Also maybe whatever channel shows golf, but mostly just the reality TV.

Check all the usuals; DTVNOW, Sling, HuluTV, PS VUe etc.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Check all the usuals; DTVNOW, Sling, HuluTV, PS VUe etc.

Thanks. I'm not well read in this area so I appreciate knowing where to start.
Edit: we already use Hulu and the selection of HuluTV seems to cover her favorites. Thank you very much.

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 4, 2018

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Fun Times! posted:

Hello thread, my girlfriend and I don't have cable, but I am interested in finding out the absolute cheapest way to get a few channels for her. She wants to watch terrible reality shows like the Kardashians and whatever else there is. Also maybe whatever channel shows golf, but mostly just the reality TV. E!, Bravo, and HGTV would cover most it it I think.

Check out Philo TV (https://try.philo.com/). They're running a special of 56 channels for 6 months for $99, but it's usually $16 or $20 a month.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

My wife and I are cutting the cord and we've chosen to go with Philo. It's a great package and seems to work well but lacks the E! and Bravo channels which you need for terrible reality shows like the Kardashians and whatever else there is.

We're going to see how it works with waiting for them to get to Hulu. For ones that don't or take too long we may have to buy individual episodes; I think it will still be an overall savings.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Is there nothing like hayu but for America? America always has the best poo poo they gotta have crap reality tv somewhere

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What other kind of reality TV is there? :confused:

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
After unlocking a fire stick today and going through the hoops, I'm sitting here as 720p stream #4 of 25 buffers and coughs up a lung. How can people stand this? I guess it will be Hulu TV for Christmas.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Fun Times! posted:

After unlocking a fire stick today and going through the hoops, I'm sitting here as 720p stream #4 of 25 buffers and coughs up a lung. How can people stand this? I guess it will be Hulu TV for Christmas.

Old people are super used to all of their tech poo poo only working like 40% of the time

derk
Sep 24, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Old people are super used to all of their tech poo poo only working like 40% of the time

60% of the time it works all the time!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My 68 year old parents seem to be coping just fine with Roku and DirectvNow.

The only issue they have is my dad bought one without 5ghz and the microwave puts out some nasty interference on the 2.4 GHz band. So, the stream breaks up a bit while the microwave is in use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I bought my parents a fire stick and they don't use it. I borrow their cable log on so I basically have all their channels through apps. They're dumb. When I logged in I saw that they literally are paying $30 extra per month to have channels they don't use. They have a supersized "latino extra package" but they do not speak spanish. I'm 100% positive they called AT&T and said "I want the biggest package you have with ALL the channels" and the rep was like "Will do, old people". I tried to explain to them once and they completely disregarded me.

Personal note, I've since disowned them over some pretty hosed up abusive poo poo and haven't spoken to them in about a year. I still have that password they haven't changed since 2007 and technically they never told me I couldn't use it anymore so gently caress you, asshats, thanks for the TV.