Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

pangstrom posted:

Probably the absolute worst rap I've ever seen.

First thing I thought of was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg9ruee3Vos

God, they're just writing Jon Stewart's show for him at this point aren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
He is going on leave, but John Oliver is the sub. He does The Bugle and has no problem ripping into stuff on a weekly basis.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I like to imagine that the timing of Stewart's sabbatical comes down to "Well, poo poo, if they're going to do most of the work for me, I can go make a movie and the show will be fine while I'm gone."

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Mo0 posted:

I like to imagine that the timing of Stewart's sabbatical comes down to "Well, poo poo, if they're going to do most of the work for me, I can go make a movie and the show will be fine while I'm gone."

You just wrote Stewart's first return joke.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mo0 posted:

Every time Stewart takes a break, everyone's always "God, why did he have to do it this week of all weeks?", completely ignoring the fact with conservatives, every week is "this week of all weeks". It's not like they ever stop. Jon could do his whole whow, Tosh 2.0 style, just hammering together clips of news shows that day.

We get a lot of Andy Dean down this way for some reason and this prick is absolutely insufferable. He's like Hannity only not as knowledgeable or talented, if you can believe that. Yesterday he was going on about some report concluding that the midwestern droughts from last year were not the result of global warming/climate change and had a guest on saying that one conclusion, even if correct, doesn't mean there's no climate change happening.

Apparently, this level of logic is beyond the intellectual capacity of your average talk radio host. Meaning that since the media and a lot of climate scientists theorized and reported that the droughts were likely due to global warming when they weren't, then there's no global warming.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Every time Stewart takes a break, everyone's always "God, why did he have to do it this week of all weeks?", completely ignoring the fact with conservatives, every week is "this week of all weeks". It's not like they ever stop. Jon could do his whole whow, Tosh 2.0 style, just hammering together clips of news shows that day.

We get a lot of Andy Dean down this way for some reason and this prick is absolutely insufferable. He's like Hannity only not as knowledgeable or talented, if you can believe that. Yesterday he was going on about some report concluding that the midwestern droughts from last year were not the result of global warming/climate change and had a guest on saying that one conclusion, even if correct, doesn't mean there's no climate change happening.

Apparently, this level of logic is beyond the intellectual capacity of your average talk radio host. Meaning that since the media and a lot of climate scientists theorized and reported that the droughts were likely due to global warming when they weren't, then there's no global warming.

This type of thinking is pretty much par for the course for people in general, but especially conservatives. I am not sure how much it still shows up, but for a while climate-skeptics would use media reports of global cooling from the 70's as the proof that climate change wasn't happening. And of course the charges of flip-flopping that plague anyone that changes positions on issues since being wrong once negates your opinions FOREVER.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Internet Webguy posted:

"My name's Dana Perino and I'm here to say, I'm about to embarrass myself nationally in a major way."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5lxJLdAEks

Jay-Z just stepped in it big time for starting this feud.

THAT IS THE FUNNIEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!

OH MY GOD!

THAT IS INCREDIBLE!

I wish I was that man. Everything must hold such joy and wonder for him.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

THAT IS THE FUNNIEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!

OH MY GOD!

THAT IS INCREDIBLE!

I wish I was that man. Everything must hold such joy and wonder for him.

Everything except his penis.

beatlegs posted:

LOL and ROFL those "Red Eye" folks are such characters aren't they?

It's actually The Five, the show they put together to replace Glenn Beck. Red Eye usually tries to be a little funnier than that, but it is still college republican humor through and through.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Speaking of John Oliver, there's his rap in Community.

"My name is Ian Duncan and I'm here to say, I'm going to rap to the beat in a rapping way. I've got a real big penis and I drink lots of tea." Unfortunately he's cut off there.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The "My name is _________" white rap parody thing comes from the Beastie Boys. If you grew up anywhere outside of NYC or LA or whatever in that era it needs no explanation. Anyway, I'm 38 and if you wonder why all these white people - usually - about my age start raps with that, the Beastie Boys is why. I know some idiot is not going to get this and respond with, "They were being ironic." Let me cut you off before you get the idea that your point has merit - that's 100% irrelevant, so don't waste your time.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I thought everybody was just referencing Kurtis Blow.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
"I'm Chiquita banana and I've come to say - Bananas have to ripen in a certain way" 1944 banana commercial

http://chiquita.com/Our-Company/The-Chiquita-Story/The-Chiquita-Jingle.aspx

AircraftNoise
May 9, 2008
Pretty sure the rap was done in a joking way, as if they knew it was terrible and dorky. You guys are acting like this was a legitimate attempt to get into that rap game.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

AircraftNoise posted:

Pretty sure the rap was done in a joking way, as if they knew it was terrible and dorky. You guys are acting like this was a legitimate attempt to get into that rap game.

Pretty much that whole article is hilarious. The thing they're pitching a fit over? Refusing to sign scheduling agreements. They're pissing the judge off before the case even gets started :allears:

quote:

Collette’s fiery comments came after Brya again tried to delay a lawsuit challenging the state’s new right-to-work laws from moving forward. The hearing today was intended to be a routine scheduling conference – where attorneys agree to future hearings on the lawsuit – but it was unusually controversial, because Brya tried to halt the case.

Brya said she intends to appeal Collette’s decision last week in which he rejected the state’s request to dismiss the suit, which was brought by labor groups who allege the right-to-work laws were passed in violation of the state’s Open Meetings Act. She asked Collette today to stay the case until that appeal is resolved in the Michigan Court of Appeals.

Collette swiftly shot down Brya’s argument, telling her “I’m continuing on in the way I do business.”

“You’re welcome to do that (appeal), but what does that have to do with the order I issued last week that’s effective right now, which was to enter into a scheduling agreement as to whatever evidence may be available?” Collette said.

Attorneys for the state refused to sign the scheduling agreement because they don’t agree the lawsuit should proceed while an appeal is pending.

“It’s my scheduling conference. It doesn’t interfere with anything you want to do,” Collette told Brya. “All future scheduling conferences with your office will be held here at the courthouse, because obviously I can’t get anybody to agree to much of anything anymore out of the attorney general’s office.”

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
gently caress you mom and dad we're here to say: Japan is better than the USA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5y3NQi_RAY

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

AircraftNoise posted:

The problem is, a very unhip white person attempting to do a "satire" of rap is horribly unfunny, especially if there's absolutely no edge to it and the person isn't funny to begin with. It's just excruciating. And then to have the conservative white guys sitting around the table cackle and applaud approvingly like Thurston Howell III is just... too much.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Even if it was jokingly bad, the joke is still "Black people are stupid and rap isn't real music". That makes it worse than if it was unironic.

AircraftNoise
May 9, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Even if it was jokingly bad, the joke is still "Black people are stupid and rap isn't real music". That makes it worse than if it was unironic.

I think you might be thinking about it WAY too much. I think it was done in a way that was intentionally self-depreciating. Yeah, shes a dorky unfunny white woman doing a horribly cliche "My name is/and Im here to say" with absolutely terrible delivery. The other dude who said "this is the funniest thing Ive ever seen!" is a dumbass and is being hyperbolic. They have to at least act like it was funny to engage the audience.

That said, in no way am I attempting to defend Fox News or its shithead pundits. I just think you guys are being overly critical and petty simply because these people are known shitheads and their politics dont mesh well with yours. This is a poor example of why they are shitheads.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yea it's this, that's also why nerdcore and poo poo are terrible, the joke is 'ha ha I'm doing a black person music! Isn't that so zany and crazy!?' It's not the most racist thing Fox has done, hell if she's a regular reporter there I'm fairly secure saying it's not the most racist thing she's done, but it's something with a bit of racism in it.

AircraftNoise
May 9, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea it's this, that's also why nerdcore and poo poo are terrible, the joke is 'ha ha I'm doing a black person music! Isn't that so zany and crazy!?' It's not the most racist thing Fox has done, hell if she's a regular reporter there I'm fairly secure saying it's not the most racist thing she's done, but it's something with a bit of racism in it.

If the Cuban defector was some rock artist, and they did a parody rock song which is terrible and cliche would that also be racist? Holy poo poo man is everything racist when viewed through some 11th dimension chess monocle? How about they just did an intentionally terrible and generic rap song because the artist in question is a rap artist.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

AircraftNoise posted:

If the Cuban defector was some rock artist, and they did a parody rock song which is terrible and cliche would that also be racist? Holy poo poo man is everything racist when viewed through some 11th dimension chess monocle? How about they just did an intentionally terrible and generic rap song because the artist in question is a rap artist.

Did you watch the clip? They set the clip up with her saying, dripping with sarcasm, "rap is such a complex art form." The rap did not exist in a vacuum. It had context, and that context was really loving racist and painfully culturally unaware.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea it's this, that's also why nerdcore and poo poo are terrible, the joke is 'ha ha I'm doing a black person music! Isn't that so zany and crazy!?'

Counterpoint: MC Frontalot.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
Not for anyone who grew up on Nas.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

snorch posted:

This is your counterpoint?

Like, what exactly is your counterpoint supposed to be anyways? As far as I can tell, he's never actually been involved in any meaningful way in the actual hip-hop scene, which already has nerdy people in it in the first place.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

snorch posted:

Counter-counter point: MC Frontalot.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My impression from nerdcore rap music has been the guys doing it legitimately love rap as a form of expression, not that they're doing it ironically. They're nerds with pent up anger.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah, most of them are middle class white guys who unironically love rap and want to use that medium to express things they are more familiar with than the subject matter of most actual rap. So you could definitely argue that it's insensitive and appropriating to do that, and most of them are bad at it, but they aren't mocking rap, they're emulating it.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Holy crap, I was just browsing Sean Hannity's twitter feed, and his audience has gone absolutely ballistic on Benghazi:

https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/322882658784927745

The tweet had nothing to do with Benghazi by the way.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This is the dumbest derail since the minorities in video games thread got shut down. If white people want to make rap music then they get to. Fullstop. Cultural appropriation is such a stupid concept to begin with and the idea of a leftist telling some kid what sort of music he is allowed to make is seriously bullshit.

What is it that allows Drake to be a rapper, but not Vinnie Paz?

Edit: VV Whoa you are right. drat,its too early to be seeing red :saddowns:

Miltank fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 15, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
No one seemed nearly as upset about it as you apparently are.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
Since when is Jedi Mind Tricks nerdcore?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Scorched Spitz posted:

Since when is Jedi Mind Tricks nerdcore?

It isn't, but people see White Rapper Not Named Eminem plus Star Wars Name and assume it must be.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

Holy crap, I was just browsing Sean Hannity's twitter feed, and his audience has gone absolutely ballistic on Benghazi:

That's amazing, it's like the same three or four people calling him a sellout because they stopped reporting on Benghazi. WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO COVER UP FOR OBUMMER, FOX NEWS?! :argh:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
They created an imagined problem though. In the same year nerdcore got started a rap concept album about a space marine in a mech suit leading a proletarian revolution against an interstellar dystopian corporatist government using cyberwarfare and the power of hip-hop broke into the Billboard 200 and the Top R&B/Hip-Hop chart, and two of the three members of the group that made it were Asian. One of the biggest hip-hop groups of all time was started by a bunch of dudes who liked to get together and watch cheesy kung-fu flicks(one of them has since written, directed and starred in his own), and they're big advocates of getting kids to play chess. One of the most popular rap albums of the past year is by a middle class white dude from Seattle. And do I even need to mention "Goku"?

What nerdcore and things like this Fox "rap" do is create a false perception that hip hop and rap are anti-intellectual and hostile towards anyone who isn't black. While with nerdcore it's probably more out of ignorance, with previous Fox shenanigans such as their attacks on Common, I think it's naive to talk about this as them just joking around.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That's amazing, it's like the same three or four people calling him a sellout because they stopped reporting on Benghazi. WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO COVER UP FOR OBUMMER, FOX NEWS?! :argh:

I love it when they can't keep a creature they've created from nipping at their ankles.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

Several real human beings that live on the same planet as everyone else think motherfucking Sean Hannity is sucking up to Obama. That just blows my mind. I mean I know there's a growing number of people that think Fox News is centrist, but seriously?

Princeps32 fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 15, 2013

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't think that's even the first time some Fox News crazies attacked a conservative host for not talking about Benghazi (aka the Biggest Scandal Ever) enough.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

What nerdcore and things like this Fox "rap" do is create a false perception that hip hop and rap are anti-intellectual and hostile towards anyone who isn't black. While with nerdcore it's probably more out of ignorance, with previous Fox shenanigans such as their attacks on Common, I think it's naive to talk about this as them just joking around.

Nerdcore doesn't do that at all so what are you even talking about. Nerdcore is literally just some 30ish white dudes rapping about nintendo games, it isn't remotely like the hokey "My name is Whatever and I'm here to say" stuff. It doesn't present itself as an alternative to hip-hop at all. They aren't claiming to solve any problem, imagined or otherwise.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
There are undoubtably white rap acts that aren't serious and might, if you're feeling particularly sensitive, be construed as offensive. Practically none of them are very popular or well known because no one who cares about it so little is going to have the dedication to the craft.

Dismissing an entire genre of music on the basis of someones skin color or the content of their music is dumb as poo poo and you should feel bad about it. If it sucks come up with a better loving reason than "the only reason a white person would rap is to be ironic about not being black". It's words to a beat, if you want those words to be about nintendo, game of thrones or the planet pluto, it's all the same thing.

loving Action Bronson is hot as poo poo right now and he's constantly rapping about expensive gourmet food. Yelawolf is whiter than Eminem ever was and raps about being a hillbilly and he's guesting on ASAP Rocky and Big Boi albums. You can't turn a radio to a half-way popular station without hearing a lily-white rear end in a top hat rapping about going to a Seattle thrift shop. No ones clutching their gold chains and crying that these guys are being sarcastic racists, but if it's a white person rapping about something nerdy it's a problem?

And what about Deltron 3030, the quintessential nerd rap masterpiece, made by a black person?

You're dumb. Stop talking about music.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

ErIog posted:

Did you watch the clip? They set the clip up with her saying, dripping with sarcasm, "rap is such a complex art form." The rap did not exist in a vacuum. It had context, and that context was really loving racist and painfully culturally unaware.

Yep. That sarcastic little remark was definitely the worst part. And yes it was racist as hell because those people think that only black people (and the occasional poor white guy who might as well be black anyway because he's poor) make hip-hop music.