Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I guess we can flush that "North Remembers" poo poo down the toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is Whent the dude with the batman symbol on his poo poo? They should have kept that on

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Man this episode was another time waster, where the only things that happened were depressing. The first two scenes were better than I thought they'd be, but after that it was nothing but a sigh to the finish line.

The tower of joy had some of the fakest fighting the show has ever had, and also made both Ned and Howland look like stupid assholes. I guess Ned really grew up after the rebellion, because the portrayal we got in this flashback didn't seem like the boy in the last flashback or the man from the first season. Howland also doesn't even use subterfuge or anything, he just gets better from the big cut on his chest in the nick of time.

It seems we've forgotten about Pycelle faking his senility so we can have him farting in fear, and it doesn't help that we get told that the sand snakes have managed to magically consolidate power in Dorne offscreen; that lost points with me just for reminding me that the Dorne plot exists and I'll have to sit through more of it. The only decent thing to happen in King's Landing this week was Tommen talking to the High Sparrow, which was kind of undermined when he never even mentioned his wife who is still in prison; maybe she's escaped by now and is being rowed back to Highgarden by Gendry while the Blackfish navigates. Also the whole religious court isn't following the rules they established last season, if you confess your sins and are shown the mother's mercy that's supposed to be the end of it.

Everything in Esos could have been removed and nothing would have been lost. In fact you'd improve the show by removing Dany's whiney, Joffery-esque, reaction to her situation; I mean her plotline is intensely boring, and she succeeds despite making bad choices for reasons that have gotten other characters killed, but she's been in worse situations and maintained a measure of dignity. So far Esos has only served to underline how 90% of this season is dark interior shots with 1-3 speaking parts and at most a handful of extras. Are they having budget issues? Or is this just D&D being lazy about making the world feel at all alive?

I don't get why the Umbers would go to the loving Boltons for what they want here. If they just want to be left alone by the other northern houses and don't want to lose a fight to the wildlings, they could have always used the same bargaining chip they just threw at Ramsay with Jon instead. I like how in the episode summary last time Dipshit was all, "killing Roose will cause the agreements that allowed the Boltons to control the north to unravel, Ramsay is in a very precarious position." And in this episode Lord(?) Umber comes up and goes, "Good on you for killing your father, now that he's dead I want to bring my considerable forces into your camp despite refusing to recognize you before." Can Ramsay's behavior have a consequence instead of a reward for him now? If he rapes and flays Osha next episode will that cause the Manderlies to be so impressed by his actions that they beg to be let into his coalition?

I get that so far they've portrayed Jon as having lost his confidence, but having Ollie of all people stare him down was loving stupid.

I hope the next episode is better. I hate how this season has been nothing but rushed death scenes with no buildup broken by huge stretches of holding pattern scenes that don't do anything or even have fun dialogue or character interplay.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

"And this is Howland Reed, Meera's father."

To Bran, who has not only heard this story a thousand times from his father, but also is very well versed on his father's friends, bannermen, lords and family trees and flags of every house.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Man they really can't write when they don't have GRMM to leech off of. So many poorly written lines this episode.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
They better not have killed Rickon's wolf. :( He's supposed to be the feral kid and without his wolf how is it symbolized?

I love that we finally got the prince that was promised line finally. I think it confirms what's up.

So was there any mention by the show where the Dragons are now? Did the two in Mereen fly off or are they perched somewhere but now also roaming a bit?

My speculation is that somehow Danny takes control of all the Khalassars.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

"And this is Howland Reed, Meera's father."

To Bran, who has not only heard this story a thousand times from his father, but also is very well versed on his father's friends, bannermen, lords and family trees and flags of every house.

Are you really going to complain that they introduced him by name when its the first time he's shown on the show? Would you have preferred if they all shook hands and exchanged pleasantries before they chopped eachother up?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

TheRat posted:

Are you really going to complain that they introduced him by name when its the first time he's shown on the show? Would you have preferred if they all shook hands and exchanged pleasantries before they chopped eachother up?

Wouldn't it have been better for Bran to point them both out?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I don't know how real life medieval fighting worked but I wish they would show armor actually armor-ing a bit. They did it in season 1 when Jorah fought the Dothraki guy and caught his curved sword against his side. It would be better than always having everyone block things like a lightsaber.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Ser Arthur Dayne? The Sword of the Morning, he is Kingsguard for Rhaegar Targaryen, the man who stole your Aunt Lyanna from King Robert. He's the one with two swords.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

TheRat posted:

Nah I'm complaining that he had to explain to Bran that he was Meera's dad.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

my bony fealty posted:

The subtitles said "gurgling noises" or something of the sort so it was definitely not a clean break (for some of them at least)

The kicking meant they died from strangulation, not a nice way to go.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Raenir Salazar posted:

Wouldn't it have been better for Bran to point them both out?

They should have stood their silently as if watching a play in a theatre

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

TheRat posted:

All exposition should be in subtitles.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

That's Howland Reed. He's Meera's dad, and also Jojen's too. If you remember Jojen was the one who got stabbed by the skeleton, and he was Meera's sister. We are also in the past, just so you are clear on what you're seeing in this scene right now.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

FogHelmut posted:

Bran's heard the story, but this is the first time he's gone through the Time Travel Trees to witness it firsthand, so it's reasonable that someone pointed out who's who.

I knew the story and I certainly didn't know which one was Howland Reed.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

my bony fealty posted:

The subtitles said "gurgling noises" or something of the sort so it was definitely not a clean break (for some of them at least)

Are you sure it wasn't "(farts)"?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My point is that whether or not he knew what Howland Reed looked like 25 years ago, he knows Howland is Meera's dad.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

So why did D&D find it necessary to turn Ned Stark into a straight-up liar re: the Tower of Joy? In the books he never talked about it, right? But now in the show's continuity he bragged to his family a thousand times about besting Arthur Dayne in single combat?

At first I thought it was just sloppy writing, but the Behind The Scenes featurette makes it very clear that they wanted to very specifically portray Ned as a big ole self aggrandizing liar.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

My point is that whether or not he knew what Howland Reed looked like 25 years ago, he knows Howland is Meera's dad.

They're pretty much operating under the assumption that the average show watcher is retarded and so every scene has them reminding us who is talking. It's dumb as hell.

e:

Linguica posted:

So why did D&D find it necessary to turn Ned Stark into a straight-up liar re: the Tower of Joy? In the books he never talked about it, right? But now in the show's continuity he bragged to his family a thousand times about besting Arthur Dayne in single combat?

At first I thought it was just sloppy writing, but the Behind The Scenes featurette makes it very clear that they wanted to very specifically portray Ned as a big ole self aggrandizing liar.

iirc in the books he doesn't talk about it except to say that he would have died but for Howland Reed.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Watching the episode again I am wondering if they are going to keep doing this thing where the episodes are ten little rapid fire 5 minute scenes. I have no idea how they are going to get anything finished if they just keep doing that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jean Eric Burn posted:

Watching the episode again I am wondering if they are going to keep doing this thing where the episodes are ten little rapid fire 5 minute scenes. I have no idea how they are going to get anything finished if they just keep doing that.

It's been the Game of Thrones greatest hits ever since season 5. They've gotten rid of character development in favor of rushing the plot forward.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

FogHelmut posted:

It just doesn't matter, it's for the viewers.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The only stories of the Tower of Joy we get in the book are either...

1. Spoken narrative and thus likely unreliable
2. Ned's fever dreams which could also be pretty hosed up

The show provides the only unbiased depiction of the Tower of Joy, so we now know that Arthur "The Sword" Dayne is actually a two sword kinda guy, and also that Oswell Whent never existed

Oswell was in fact a sentient sword that Dayne wielded in his offhand.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

They better not have killed Rickon's wolf. :( He's supposed to be the feral kid and without his wolf how is it symbolized?

I love that we finally got the prince that was promised line finally. I think it confirms what's up.

So was there any mention by the show where the Dragons are now? Did the two in Mereen fly off or are they perched somewhere but now also roaming a bit?

My speculation is that somehow Danny takes control of all the Khalassars.

I hate to break it to you but Shaggydog is dead and Rickon's totally gonna get iced and die having done nothing important to the plot. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaggy_dog_story You think GRRM doesn't think really hard about these things? And don't mention Darkstar as a counterpoint that doesn't count.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

They're pretty much operating under the assumption that the average show watcher is retarded and so every scene has them reminding us who is talking. It's dumb as hell.

e:

iirc in the books he doesn't talk about it except to say that he would have died but for Howland Reed.

They showed us the prostitute who sliced an Unsullieds throat like twice in the opening entirely to make the Vary scene not make retarded people get lost.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

HAHAHAH I'm rewatching it with closed captions and I didn't realize they literally added a [farts] when Pycelle notices Cersei / zombie Clegane behind him

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

What is dead may never die.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Preview for episode 4 looks like Sansa and Brienne and Pod make it to Castle Black, but Jon's already left.

It's going to be a Where in The North is Jon Snow Targaryen.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

El Hefe posted:

One of the best scenes from the books is Sam loving Gilly in the boat where everything is covered in poo poo and piss and puke and the baby is screaming and they are loving for some reason.

HBO missed another chance to shock TV viewers.
HBO has Girls for that.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Mouse Dresser posted:

Preview for episode 4 looks like Sansa and Brienne and Pod make it to Castle Black, but Jon's already left.

It's going to be a Where in The North is Jon Snow Targaryen.

There is potential for a good scene where Davos or Edd or whoever tries to explain to Sansa that Jon died but got rezzed and left

I do not have high hopes for such a scene being well done though

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
If the Tower of Joy fight is any indication the inevitable Jon vs Ramsay fight is going to have a shirtless Ramsay surrounded by dogs and 20 good men. Things don't look good for Jon until he pulls out Longclaw and Longclaw II and proceeds to disarm Ramsay and kill everyone else. He is about to deliver the finishing blow but all of the sudden the High Sparrow comes up from behind him and stabs him in the neck.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

drunken officeparty posted:

RIP Thorne. He was the best, his actor was the best, and he had the best speech of the whole show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XAk2hpuAQI

This is the best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pozI5n6A_Io

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

If you had to guess, where does Arya's storyline go? Is she just gonna spend the rest of the story learning to be Batman, or do fans have a guess how her stuff ties into the larger plot?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

If you had to guess, where does Arya's storyline go? Is she just gonna spend the rest of the story learning to be Batman, or do fans have a guess how her stuff ties into the larger plot?

Eventually tell the Faceless Men to gently caress off, grab Needle, and go to Westeros to assassinate a major character.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Lord Umber didn't actually pledge allegiance to Ramsey. I figure he's going to turn on Ramsey's force from the back on the battle of the bastards. It would be interesting if he sees the sacrifice of Rickon as necessary to returning the North to some place that makes any sense.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
God loving dammit. Even knowing what was going to happen thanks to the heroics of that translator, I was still shouting at the TV during the loving Umber scene. loving stupid bullshit. If it's not some kind of 11th Dimensional Chess or something then what the gently caress. You've subverted the tropes long enough, it's okay to give the goodies a win at this point you slobbering fat gently caress.

Yes I am seething with impotent rage about some dumb tits and dragons show.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Maybe she'll be the one to kill Cersei at the end? Like, right after Cersei loses everything (children, status, wealth), she'll realize what a horribly selfish idiot she's been and how her actions led to the ruin of everything around her and finally repent, then Arya will pop up and stab her in the back with Needle.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I want Arya to kill Dany because they are both on the same lovely continent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I'm still impressed how badly they've taken a very cool, the North murders all the Boltons/Freys plotline, and turned it into a steaming pile of poo poo. Everything in the North is utter garbage.

On the plus side Tormund made a fantastic dick joke and Jon Snow quit. That was nice.

• Locked thread