Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
:siren: 24 hours to go :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Considering the raid drops on Friday, what do you usually need to have done before you can try the raid

Will you need to have banged through the new levels?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

hitchensgoespop posted:

Considering the raid drops on Friday, what do you usually need to have done before you can try the raid

Will you need to have banged through the new levels?

Maybe? Probably? Crota was unlocked from the start, and the other two were time-locked like the new one will be so I at least had always completed the story. Uh, is there anyone out there who leveled a character up without completing either main campaign or taken king main campaign, do you know if the raids unlocked (at appropriate light level). Honestly I'd assume yes, though. I think the given light level was 360 but later encounters will likely be higher so you'll want to be at that light or better.

But anyway there's only like five main RoI missions which isn't much although there should be a few post-campaign missions like there were in TTK. And you'll probably want to do those to help get your light up.

And in TTK there was a quest or two unlocked after the main campaign that set you up for the raid, or required you to beat bosses in it (like the Malice quest). Might as well see if there's anything like those.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

It would made sense to force the completing the story mission to start the raid, if you are the raid leader, but if you are not leader the only reatrictions are usually light level. The raid will be hard and harsh for normal people the friday. Normal players dont usually do it release day.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Not even going to bother being a part of the early raid rush. Sounds way too stressful to spend a bunch of hours on maybe a boss kill that will be farmable in a week or two.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
I fancy a go at doing it blind and very quickly LFG will turn into "must know the mechanics" so unless you have a regular raid group you need to get in on the ground floor

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
On the other hand it's going to be the only new raid for a year so you can probably chill and get to it at your own pace.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
And chill goons are the better players to play with. Not the "I will be the #1,205 player to complete the raid or I will boot you"

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

Ularg posted:

And chill goons are the better players to play with. Not the "I will be the #1,205 player to complete the raid or I will boot you"

Problem i have with that is im in the UK, so unless i want to stay up until 4AM raiding its impossible to co ordinate.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If I get a purple engram at level 10 and decrypt it at level 20 will I get a level 10ish or level 20ish item?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

SpookyLizard posted:

Welcome to the club. I got it on my first try.

I was the first goon to have it, and that's why monkeu doesn't post anymore :laugh:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

If I get a purple engram at level 10 and decrypt it at level 20 will I get a level 10ish or level 20ish item?

Barring some exceptions I can't think of, they generally decrypt relative to your current level/light level.

For leveling purposes (ie, until you're level 40), I reallllly wouldn't sweat it, just grab and use whatever you find.

If you want to be hyper efficient since you are new and actually have the luxury of vault space, you could sock away all the blue/purple engrams you have until 40 and then go on a gigantic orgy of decoding.

Tomorrow we'll probably be wearing greens and blues again for a few days though, so I'm not sure what will shake out as the most efficient method of raising your light at that point.

There are a few sources of items in the game that are guaranteed to decrypt higher than your current light level, so to raise your overall level you want to wear all your highest gear, decrypt a higher item, put that on, repeat. Grab Destiny Item Manager if you have a laptop nearby, or Ishtar Commander if you have a phone nearby. Either lets you equip max light gear (and save loadouts, and calculate stat mixes from your existing gear).

You don't really need to worry about loadouts/stat mixes until you're at the level cap and looking into ~high end pve~ or Iron Banner/Trials in pvp, but the item manager tools are quite nice anyway (you can move items in and out of your vault and alts anywhere in the game, and when in orbit or the tower/reef/peak, you can actually equip gear as well, which lets you insta-equip a loadout).

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

cyfad posted:

I love the owlsector crap, it's really fun to read

It's real standard "science going too far for fun and profit, making scientists sad" melodrama, but this kind of all-encompassing cliche soup is exactly the kind of stuff I want in my daily life in a cosmic horror shoot 'em up adventure story

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

victrix posted:

Barring some exceptions I can't think of, they generally decrypt relative to your current level/light level.

For leveling purposes (ie, until you're level 40), I reallllly wouldn't sweat it, just grab and use whatever you find.

If you want to be hyper efficient since you are new and actually have the luxury of vault space, you could sock away all the blue/purple engrams you have until 40 and then go on a gigantic orgy of decoding.

Tomorrow we'll probably be wearing greens and blues again for a few days though, so I'm not sure what will shake out as the most efficient method of raising your light at that point.

There are a few sources of items in the game that are guaranteed to decrypt higher than your current light level, so to raise your overall level you want to wear all your highest gear, decrypt a higher item, put that on, repeat. Grab Destiny Item Manager if you have a laptop nearby, or Ishtar Commander if you have a phone nearby. Either lets you equip max light gear (and save loadouts, and calculate stat mixes from your existing gear).

You don't really need to worry about loadouts/stat mixes until you're at the level cap and looking into ~high end pve~ or Iron Banner/Trials in pvp, but the item manager tools are quite nice anyway (you can move items in and out of your vault and alts anywhere in the game, and when in orbit or the tower/reef/peak, you can actually equip gear as well, which lets you insta-equip a loadout).

Okay awesome, thanks a bunch! Gonna keep this post in mind for when I level up a lot more! Going to have a character for playing with my pal and a character for playing all the DLC etc. I have and joining random goons! Also I googled this but just to make sure, the engrams I see only I can see right? So I'm not robbing loads of them on other people? Also what exactly is light and how does the number go up? Thanks!

e: I am also reading through my grimoire stuff to try and get to grips with the setting!

e2: Also I got loads of gear when I unlocked TTK but deleted it all by accident when I deleted that character lmao

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 19, 2016

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Lol if the daily crucible playlist from last night is any indication, a lot of players are coming back into the fold.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Okay awesome, thanks a bunch! Gonna keep this post in mind for when I level up a lot more! Going to have a character for playing with my pal and a character for playing all the DLC etc. I have and joining random goons! Also I googled this but just to make sure, the engrams I see only I can see right? So I'm not robbing loads of them on other people? Also what exactly is light and how does the number go up? Thanks!

e: I am also reading through my grimoire stuff to try and get to grips with the setting!

e2: Also I got loads of gear when I unlocked TTK but deleted it all by accident when I deleted that character lmao

Engrams are all you, all loot is personal, so gobble up all the goods. Blue+ engrams are auto-sent to your postmaster, you don't even need to pick them up. Greens you do need to grab if you want to dismantle them for parts/glitter. There is a... 20? Max on your postmaster, so don't let too many stack up.

That DIM (Destiny Item Manager) plugin I mentioned above has a really cool feature that will auto-send engrams to your vault when you pick them up, even shuffling around space on your character/vault/alts to make room when it can. If you turn that on, say before you start an evening of binge drinking and running strikes with goons, you can basically just ignore worrying about inventory space and loot and concentrate on shooting all the things and relaxing.

As for Light... that's a bit of a bigger topic.

Light is the confusing end-result of many experiments from Bungie on extending the end-game grind. Or uh, character progression if you're a cheerier person than me.

Basically once you hit 40, all of your gears combined Attack (for weapons) and Defense (for everything else) values are added up, and that's your light level.

The current cap is 335, so if you had a 335 item in every slot, you'd be light level (ll) 335.

The cap is going up to... I think 380? Tomorrow. Somewhere in that vicinity. Once the hard mode raid comes out, the cap will be raised to 400, which will likely be our final cap until Destiny 2 and/or another expansion next year.

Vendor gear in the new social space (that is, stuff you can buy with Legendary Marks) will be ll 340, it remains to be seen what the random greens/blues we get while exploring will be decrypting to.

I honestly don't even remember how the ll system works below 40, my characters have all been capped forever, so none of this may apply while you're leveling, I'm not sure :v:

The game has a scaling system in place, so that regardless of your level (from 1-40) or your light level (from say ~240ish when you first hit 40 all the way up to 400), you don't become an invincible god of destruction while you're out patrolling Earth. You do get tougher, and your weapons do more damage, but the extremes are clamped.

Your ll matters much more when you're fighting at or near the cap - say, the new Raid, which requires 360 to enter. It's very likely that it will be ~360ish enemies to begin with, and probably cap out at ~380ish enemies near the end. That's more or less how they've done previous raid content, though King's Fall (in Taken King) was far more forgiving than Crota's End (the Dark Below raid) or Vault of Glass (the OG raid).

It also matters in two types of pvp, Iron Banner, a week long 6v6 event that's sort of a pvp festival for everyone, and Trials of Osiris, a weekend event filled with the sweatiest of players in 3v3s. There's a minimum ll to enter either of those, though I don't remember what it is, and if you're far below the max ll (especially in trials), you're gonna have a bad day.

Like pve, the maximum difference in pvp is clamped, and the scale is pretty soft (eg, if you're 380 against a 400 guy in IB, you might not even notice), it generally only matters if you're at the minimum to enter, or you're being a goofball and bringing in a ll 140 gun to troll with.

In normal pvp, feel free to troll with green/blue drops, you can use anything you want there, everyone does the same damage with weapons (though it isn't entirely a level playing field, but that'd be another wall of text if you actually care).

Oh speaking of weapons, independant of the whole overall ll system, if I remember right, higher ll weapons do deal more damage when you're fighting stuff right around your ll max (say you're at ll 350 overall, but you have a 340 and a 360 weapon, the 360 would be stronger if I remember right).

I've been gone for awhile, so it's quite possible I'm off on some specifics here, but I think that's (too much) detail on how most of it works currently.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
light level works the same below 40, so basically, getting there is just about unlocking weapons

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ElNarez posted:

light level works the same below 40, so basically, getting there is just about unlocking weapons

Yeah in that case, just keep your weapons up to date and slap on whatever janky armor you find regardless of its color if its number is bigger.

Legendary/Exotic gear can be 'infused' by munching down another item. It costs 3 Legendary Marks and a small bit of currency, and takes the lower item right to the higher items level - so you can take your cool ll 200 gun that you really like and infuse it all the way up to 400 if you should find a 400 weapon you don't want, but you love your 200 weapon.

Infusion is generally how you creep up to the max light level and keep your favorite weapons/armor intact, but again, that's not something you need to worry about until you've been 40 awhile.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I'm aiming for light level 369 for the raid

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I was the first goon to have it, and that's why monkeu doesn't post anymore :laugh:

Aye, you were because I was part of the OG three.

If any Xbox goons need that charged argonaut rune calcified fragment today hit me up because I have one charged and ready to go. I will be doing it today. I posted in the slack chat, but I want to catch anyone that might have missed it or isn't in the slack chat yet.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Okay sweet thanks so much for the info guys! Really getting into the game this time around! I never did strikes or raids before so pretty pumped to level up and give some of those a go.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Anyone with all 5 buffs on ps4 right now? Also does anyone wanna knock out CoE for the week?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Bob NewSCART posted:

Anyone with all 5 buffs on ps4 right now? Also does anyone wanna knock out CoE for the week?

I can hop on to spread the love, what's your psn?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

victrix posted:

I can hop on to spread the love, what's your psn?

sadboys2004, I'll be on in 10 or so. Thanks dude

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Lol if the daily crucible playlist from last night is any indication, a lot of players are coming back into the fold.

No joke. Hopped into my first public crucible match in a week and swung a 21 Strength of the Wolf game despite C being flipped 4 times on Shores of Time. Weirdest game I've ever played on that map.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Same experience here, hopped into the game for the first time in a month over the weekend and got an 18 kill game in salvage right out of the gate.

That poo poo don't happen to me in salvage.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Hi thread, how does LFG in this game even work? This thread moves so fast it's intimidating, and I haven't done a single raid and would like to change that for RoI (and go back to do the old 3 raids as well), but the lack of in-game chat makes me unsure of how to find a group.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Same experience here too, on my first or second game, I got put into Exodus Blue, and dominated the game. But EB is a map that I love and know like my hand. I also have some good automatic rifle with the eye thing that enhance autoaim, and the thing that make targets lose balance. Still, I should not have killed so many people just by doing focus fire on heads.

CuddlyZombie posted:

Hi thread, how does LFG in this game even work? This thread moves so fast it's intimidating, and I haven't done a single raid and would like to change that for RoI (and go back to do the old 3 raids as well), but the lack of in-game chat makes me unsure of how to find a group.

I don't know how this work now. You can use the LFG web sites if you are truly desperate and don't mind to meet some peculiar characters.

How you do it is to slowly add people to your friend list, people you have fun playing, then pester them to join you and other similar minded people to do the raid, maybe hire some friend of a friend. This is how friends are made, and it works with Destiny.

Or thats how it use to work. No idea if had changed in the last year.

Tei fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 19, 2016

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

CuddlyZombie posted:

We have a thread for that very thing!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3720896

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Huh, I completely missed that, thanks.

Also, I might as well ask some other stupid newbie questions.

Since some exotics are tied to quests, if that exotic is dismantled or destroyed for any reason (not that I plan on it, but just curious), would the only way to re-acquire it be to redo the quest on another character? As far as I know, there's no way to repeat quests, right?

I noticed that missions and patrol not only have overlap in locations, but there are even parts of missions where you're still out in public areas. Is there a hard and fast rule for what is a public area and what is not? Is every non-darkness-zone location part of patrol? And are there any darkness zones in missions that are also part of patrol? Why is there a radar but no drat map?!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

postdata:

Theres no wrong or right way to play this game.

Tryhards love tryharding. Some people just want to push their friends to dead. Other people approximate challenges by rolling some illegal weed first. Many people study youtube videos like if they where tutorials from god. Other people want to experiment the raids like a puzzle challenge.

If you allow it, you can meet people that play very differently to you, crazy. Its usually a good idea to play dumb and make some questions and smiley.

If you are in a group and people insult each other, and people is angry, just say "Sorry, my mom calls for dinner", quit the group, delete these people from friends. Don't join again. Everyone is cool, but sometimes angry salty people appears and try to do things the wrong way. Thats the only thing to avoid, the salty people. Except if you are a salty person yourself, and enjoy salt, then have fun not having fun!.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I preordered RoI just now, am I supposed to see a notice that it's preloading or something? I loving hate the PS4 menu/UI system.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

CuddlyZombie posted:

Huh, I completely missed that, thanks.

Also, I might as well ask some other stupid newbie questions.

Since some exotics are tied to quests, if that exotic is dismantled or destroyed for any reason (not that I plan on it, but just curious), would the only way to re-acquire it be to redo the quest on another character? As far as I know, there's no way to repeat quests, right?

I noticed that missions and patrol not only have overlap in locations, but there are even parts of missions where you're still out in public areas. Is there a hard and fast rule for what is a public area and what is not? Is every non-darkness-zone location part of patrol? And are there any darkness zones in missions that are also part of patrol? Why is there a radar but no drat map?!

Any exotics your earn or find can be repurchased at a weapons kiosk in the tower by the vanguard leaders.

You'll know your in a shared patrol area if you see beacons with patrol quests.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

skaboomizzy posted:

I preordered RoI just now, am I supposed to see a notice that it's preloading or something? I loving hate the PS4 menu/UI system.

It preloaded it for you already last week.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

skaboomizzy posted:

Notifications -> Downloads I think

CuddlyZombie posted:

There's an Exotic kiosk for weapons and armor down in the vanguard room in the tower. You can re-acquire Exotics there for an Exotic Shard (from dismantling Exotics) and some glitter.

They intentionally make missions and public areas overlap so you have a bit of 'life' when traveling around (ie, you see guardians traveling through areas on missions/strikes). The only functional difference between being in a public area during a strike/mission and in a patrol is you can't access the patrol beacon missions while you're on a strike or mission.

As long as you have free reign to travel, you can travel around on the whole planet if you really want to, regardless of how you got there.

In general, the only public spaces are the ones out on the surface, non-darkness zones. Occasionally there are private spaces that separate public ones (like on Earth, transitioning from the starting Steppes to the Divide takes you through a short private hallway, or if you go to Skywatch, the buildings that connect to it from Mothyards or the Broken Shore are both private).

Actually I suppose you could participate in public events and taken invasions while on a mission too, its just the beacons that are totally absent from your hud.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You preloaded ROI last week, that's why a patch that delivered a few weapon and rule tweaks was 13GB.

quote:

Actually I suppose you could participate in public events and taken invasions while on a mission too, its just the beacons that are totally absent from your hud.

You absolutely can, anything that happens in a public space is fair game for everyone in it regardless of activity. The Vault of Glass starts in a public space and there was awesome interplay between raid teams and random pubbies helping each other in the initial encounter. Now no one runs it any more unless someone needs No Time To Explain :(

vvvvvvvv Legendaries are not re-obtainable, even the unique ones that drop from certain quests.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 19, 2016

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Thanks, I appreciate the answers.

I think my last question for now is that if exotics are repurchasable from kiosks, is there anything similar for legendaries? Or are legendaries too similar to each other to have anything like that in place? Is there anything at all that isn't re-obtainable?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

CuddlyZombie posted:

Thanks, I appreciate the answers.

I think my last question for now is that if exotics are repurchasable from kiosks, is there anything similar for legendaries? Or are legendaries too similar to each other to have anything like that in place? Is there anything at all that isn't re-obtainable?

There's nothing for legendaries.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

This is still my fav pve weapon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Except swords, you can rebuy legendary swords at the Shaxxshack.

• Locked thread