Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Just do what I do, and scrub the tires in by going to the movie theater parking lot and doing gymkhana moves at low speed and progressively steeper lean angles until the mall security comes out to yell at you.

Also an opportunity to practice your wheelieing away while flipping the bird skills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Ah yes, the "Defiant Order" technique of break in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJLTn10E0OY

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
First ride after winter hiatus went well and was fun. I had to cross a few icy patches at low speed but that went alright. The new tires felt tippy indeed but in a good way, like the bike finally does exactly what I want it to do when making small course adjustments. Very nice. Since it was cold and the streets weren't completely dry and also very dirty with gravel in places I didn't go looking for twisties or anything but rather ran a few errands around the city with detours to fun onramps and roundabouts and so on. Also tunnels because even my little thumper with stock exhaust sounds good at high enough revs IMO. Lots of traffic, sadly - I'm not the only one with errands to run in the weekend. I didn't see a single other rider so I guess I wanted it really bad compared to saner people. Now my soul feels at peace and I can last until the next weather window which might be a while since it's gonna rain and snow all next week at least.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Why oh why in the year 2022 are gear manufacturers still making gloves without capacitive touch tips? I finally, finally find a pair of comfortable leather gauntlet gloves that fit my tiny hands (mostly) and can’t use my loving phone with them on :argh:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

pastor of muppets posted:

Why oh why in the year 2022 are gear manufacturers still making gloves without capacitive touch tips? I finally, finally find a pair of comfortable leather gauntlet gloves that fit my tiny hands (mostly) and can’t use my loving phone with them on :argh:

Lick your fingertip

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Lick your fingertip

SICK

doesn’t work :(

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That trick works on only one pair of my gloves and not the others.
:iiam:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

pastor of muppets posted:

Stuff like this exists, but I've never used it actually, so I am not sure how well it works or how "safe" it is! Which gloves did you find? Does the same manufacturer have other lines which are touring oriented? Some gauntlets are meant for track/race and as a result touch screens are not a consideration.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well, at least now you feel sexier

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
the anyglove-type treatments don't work for poo poo. the only thing that does work reliably is stitching conductive thread into the fingertips on your gloves, and that's not super comfortable and compromises the leather

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

well, at least now you feel sexier

:hmmyes:

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Nitrile gloves work on capacitive screens, so maybe snip the finger off one and put it on your riding glove?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Get yourself some finger condoms

https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Finger-Approx-205PCS-Fingertips-Protective/dp/B00URIW2B0

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

T Zero posted:

Nitrile gloves work on capacitive screens, so maybe snip the finger off one and put it on your riding glove?

Are you sure? I use nitrile gloves professionally and I have to really push down to get capacitive screens to work with them.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Stuff like this exists, but I've never used it actually, so I am not sure how well it works or how "safe" it is! Which gloves did you find? Does the same manufacturer have other lines which are touring oriented? Some gauntlets are meant for track/race and as a result touch screens are not a consideration.

They're Sedici, and yeah, they're meant to be track gloves. I get it, but still....:sigh: Gloves are tricky for me because my fingers are really short and anything with a lot of material between the fingers means I end up having my fingers spread out and/or end up with uncomfortable hot spots that turn into blisters. And even getting around that, even like an XS leaves me with up to a knuckle's length of extra material at the tips that make grabbing the levers and using the turn signals really awkward.

I needed to replace my old Icon mesh gloves (which fit me great but are old and falling apart), and figured I'd go with the best protection I could get, but the QOL and comfort sacrifices are making me consider going back to a mesh glove.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Check out some revit gloves if you can. I’ve got a couple pairs that are pretty minimal between the fingers, and according to two different people who have given me brand new pairs, the fingers are too short and they run small. They fit me perfectly though.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Was actually eyeing a pair, thanks!

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I just got a pair of Rev’it gloves this week and am worried I’m becoming a simp for the company because they match my Rev’it jacket I just bought and also the jacket I got for my partner and probably the pants I’m ordering as soon as my state return comes in.

It just so happens they were the company with sizes I could wear in stock when I had money in hand, but the difference between them and my Sedici and Scorpion stuff is night and day.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

ya rev'it stuff rules and fits my hands perfectly. a* seems to have longer thumbs imo. I just snagged a pair of their goretex dominator gloves after consolidating my glove collection. thinking I'll stick with those for rain / fall / spring, then run them with liners for winter, and then pick up some volcanos or something for summer

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I have short fingers and wide hands and AlpineStar gloves fits me, erhh like a glove.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Revit is Australian, astars Italian, clearly this is the difference between effette European hands and meaty, heavily inbred colonial mitts.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Rev'It is Dutch

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005

SEKCobra posted:

Are you sure? I use nitrile gloves professionally and I have to really push down to get capacitive screens to work with them.

Works for me.

This is me wearing a nitrile glove over a knit glove using a phone that has a tempered glass screen protector on it. In cold weather, I wear my riding gloves over this.

https://imgur.com/b1Rm2dj

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

Rev'It is Dutch

There goes that theory

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

There goes that theory

Slavvy posted:

heavily inbred colonial

dunno seems accurate

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

As a tall lanky type, another vote for revit here.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
Since I'm just over one year into riding and it's coming up on tax time, I decided to look at my bike expenses and figured it might be of interest to other folks. Values here are in dollars. Total spend is $7490, excluding fuel (my back of the envelope fuel cost estimate is about $140 (~3000 mi @ 65 mpg and $3/gallon)).

"Hardware" includes the bike itself and things attached to the bike. "Administration" is legal paperwork and insurance.

It's more than I thought I would spend (was initially expecting $6000 for everything), but overall a worthwhile endeavor. Of course, a lot of this is one-time startup costs, so the overall spend per mile will decline over time.

Edit: Bike is a 2013 Honda CBR250R purchased from a dealer with 4100 miles, ~$3000 total out the door. It was clearly dropped on its right side by the PO, so I replaced a few parts and had the fairings repaired.

Edit 2: One thing I'm wondering is whether it's worth restoring the exhaust to stock. It currently has a Delkevic exhaust that is annoyingly loud, but I've gotten used to it. I just saw a good stock can pop up on ebay, but it's $165. The stock can is heavier though (15lbs, vs 5 lbs for the Delkevic).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

T Zero fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 14, 2022

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

T Zero posted:

Since I'm just over one year into riding and it's coming up on tax time, I decided to look at my bike expenses and figured it might be of interest to other folks. Values here are in dollars. Total spend is $7490, excluding fuel (my back of the envelope fuel cost estimate is about $140 (~3000 mi @ 65 mpg and $3/gallon)).

"Hardware" includes the bike itself and things attached to the bike. "Administration" is legal paperwork and insurance.

It's more than I thought I would spend (was initially expecting $6000 for everything), but overall a worthwhile endeavor. Of course, a lot of this is one-time startup costs, so the overall spend per mile will decline over time.

Edit: Bike is a 2013 Honda CBR250R purchased from a dealer with 4100 miles, ~$3000 total out the door. It was clearly dropped on its right side by the PO, so I replaced a few parts and had the fairings repaired.

Edit 2: One thing I'm wondering is whether it's worth restoring the exhaust to stock. It currently has a Delkevic exhaust that is annoyingly loud, but I've gotten used to it. I just saw a good stock can pop up on ebay, but it's $165. The stock can is heavier though (15lbs, vs 5 lbs for the Delkevic).

As someone who never crunches the numbers because of the stark realities it would expose in my hobbies, I find this interesting. I think it also illustrates well to new riders that the biggest expense is not the bike.

Can you break down what's in "service" a little more?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Hell yeah I love collecting numbers and tracking expenses. Doesn't seem bad at all for a first year, especially with all the initial costs and gear as part of it. It really does bring to light the money sink this can be, especially if you don't use it for commuting so can't even try to justify it that way. At least I don't have (many) other expensive vices....

I track everything in You Need a Budget, although I just throw everything bike related into "Expenses: Motorcycle" so the pie chart it gives is really unhelpful for specifics.

Bought my used 2020 Ninja 400 privately beginning of last year, didn't ride it much until this year though, and spent a lot of the money on farkles and buying tools to start doing my own basic maintenance.

Somewhere around $7,500, breakdown would be something like,
Bike: $5000 after the dust settled from dealing with a private sale and getting it registered and titled
Insurance: $700 / 1 year
New tires: $400 mounted with new fancy right angle valve stems
Farkles: $500 (frame sliders, clutch and brake levers, passenger peg removal, rear pillion replacement)
Maintenance/tools: $500 (rear and front stand, sockets, torque wrench, oil and filters, misc. other tools which I'm using to cobble together a growing toolkit)
Misc: $400 GoPro, GoPro mounts, SD card, more batteries, covers, alarms and chain lock for when I lived somewhere it was constantly getting scoped out for probably getting stolen at some point)

I track gas in a phone app, to date it's $112 USD for 1,418 miles, $.26 / mile oops forgot my phone app also tracks services, actual gas cost/mile is $.08 :hellyeah:

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 14, 2022

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
Sure. Here is the service record. The color coded rows distinguish two separate trips to the mechanic.

It was mainly fixing PO damage but also replaced an aging front tire. Since it was dropped on the right side, there was damage to all the sticky-outy bits, though mostly cosmetic. The only remaining damage is a scrape on the outer fairing and a small crack near one of the mounts. Mechanic said it would be cheaper to replace the whole right fairing than to try to fix the damage. I'm keeping an eye on ebay, but all the replacement panels are even more dinged up than mine. And since it's just cosmetic, I'm not worried. I may replace it if I come around to selling it, but even then I'm not sure it would help it fetch a higher price.

As you can see, a lot of the cost is in having a pro do the work. It's my first bike, so I really didn't want to mess around with anything that could compromise it (also I started accumulating tools later in the year). I think it was worth it for the piece of mind.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

T Zero posted:

Sure. Here is the service record. The color coded rows distinguish two separate trips to the mechanic.

Ahh ok there are some crash damage fixes in there that makes sense. $900/yr in just maintenance cost would be abnormally high for a used bike, but it could also be that high for new riders who purchase a brand new bike and have to pay for the initial 800-1000 mile service. Some dealers do it free while others over charge for it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Y’all inspired me to put a spreadsheet together before I get too far away and forget stuff. Will post later after I’m done looking at bad work spreadsheets.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

It's really helpful for remembering service intervals, if nothing else, I am personally terrible at remembering what's been done when unless I document somewhere.

I was also inspired to take my budget program (a glorified spreadsheet with a pretty interface) and sub categorize everything since I've started keeping track years ago. Removed the actual embarrassing numbers as I had a minor hear attack when I finally totaled it up properly, but here are the percentages. "All Other" is Fees, Labor (paid to mechanic or dealer), and Misc, which are only so low because I tended to buy through dealers and get their overpriced service plans which covered almost all the maintenance, so those and doc fees, etc are rolled into Bike Purchases. I may go through and find my old invoices and split those out further if I'm feeling motivated later.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I am also trying to get something to replace YNAB4 at some point in time.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

SEKCobra posted:

I am also trying to get something to replace YNAB4 at some point in time.
Let me know if you find a good replacement, this program is a great mix of simplicity and customizability for me, I'm not too impressed with their web-based subscription model that replaced it. Plus the 32-bit program still runs fine on my computer, I gave up on the Dropbox sync app long ago and just make a habit of sitting down every few days and entering the latest purchases manually before I forget.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I did try things like gnucash, as I really just want the accounting these days, but nothing really felt good enough. There are a few "clones", bit they are all trying to capitalize hard and are far from even beginning to be feature complete.

TBH, they should just open source YNAB4, their cloud thing is bad anyway.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I knew this was more expensive than what I thought in my brain. Fuel is an estimate, mpg from bike computer and 3/gal average.

Edit: I also set my spreadsheet to track by year.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 16, 2022

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Insurance $77??!?!??!????!?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Liability only, which I know is a little risky on what was basically a “new” used bike (500 miles on the odo when I got it). Comprehensive would have been something like $450 for the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I pay $70/month for liability only
:negative: