Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

rebellion is a happy ending :twisted:

its a cooler ending also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

i hate endings that are too tidy because life isnt tidy

unresolved conflict and mystery are cool as heck and keep me thinking about a work longer than i would otherwise

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dont even show up at my house for bbq if your story ends on a timeskip catch
up with every single character....

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

who wants to play Final Freaking Fantasy 11 with your boy, h.snail. I'm gonna make a taru taru

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

homeless snail posted:

who wants to play Final Freaking Fantasy 11 with your boy, h.snail. I'm gonna make a taru taru

what made you

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

i'm uh

fire emblem

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

what made you
g*d made me this way

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

homeless snail posted:

the series didn't resolve a thing though, one of the characters is loving pissed off at everything at the end of the series and that's why rebellion

And I was fine with that, and with working out those problems - what I wasn't okay with was completely ruining everything the anime had worked towards and accomplished because Homura couldn't stop creeping on Madoka.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

homeless snail posted:

g*d made me this way

makes sense

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

And I was fine with that, and with working out those problems - what I wasn't okay with was completely ruining everything the anime had worked towards and accomplished because Homura couldn't stop creeping on Madoka.
the characters aren't doing these things for your sake though, and if you have to have everything in a show be agreeable to you for you to enjoy it that's kinda lovely imo. why would she ever stop doing that when that's her one and only character trait

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
The events in Rebellion sort of had to happen, because at the end of the original series, Madoka's wish had come true but Homura's had not. Madoka wasn't "saved," she had become an immutable part of reality and separated from the world forever. And one thing about Kyubey's promises, they come true one way or another.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Homura obsessively crushing on Madoka is the driving force behind most of what happens in the main series (with the time loops n poo poo) and Rebellion resolves her issues in a way that's suitably messy for her being a teenager who's been through a bunch of traumatic poo poo that also has incredible magic powers. I soured on Madoka a lot over the years since being really hype on it in HS (not through any fault of its own, really) but I enjoyed it a lot.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

unresolved conflict and mystery are cool as heck and keep me thinking about a work longer than i would otherwise

Eh, I don't know if I'd say the show's ending is that much 'tidier' than the movie's. A lot of it's in the tone/framing. Both endings have the cast coming through bitter loss and arriving at an imperfect world that they largely resolve to put up with because they have hope for something better. It's just that Homura doesn't talk to people about or care much about the people in her world nearly as much Madoka did.

homeless snail posted:

the characters aren't doing these things for your sake though, and if you have to have everything in a show be agreeable to you for you to enjoy it that's kinda lovely imo. why would she ever stop doing that when that's her one and only character trait

I mean tbf most people don't usually do one thing and one thing only forever and ever and ever and ever. Watching characters grow and change is cool. Like I said, I've warmed on how Homura's arc resolves in the movie but I 100 percent get why people can find it unsatisfying. "Believable" != "good." Aspirational fiction is good, too.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Mirage posted:

The events in Rebellion sort of had to happen, because at the end of the original series, Madoka's wish had come true but Homura's had not. Madoka wasn't "saved," she had become an immutable part of reality and separated from the world forever. And one thing about Kyubey's promises, they come true one way or another.

i disagree with the idea that kyuubey's wish-granted has a hand here because as far as we see the outcomes are instantaneous, and homura's wish wasn't to save madoka, it was to redo their meeting "not as the one being protected, but as the one protecting her", hence the shield and the time powers. wish granted.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
the difference in wording is also the difference between seeing Homura as just another player in the script, and really understanding and empathizing with her. she didn't just want to do a pal a favor. she wanted a reason to exist.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Strange Quark posted:

Metal Gear Rising

This but pretend that I was the one who suggested it instead

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

I mean tbf most people don't usually do one thing and one thing only forever and ever and ever and ever. Watching characters grow and change is cool. Like I said, I've warmed on how Homura's arc resolves in the movie but I 100 percent get why people can find it unsatisfying. "Believable" != "good." Aspirational fiction is good, too.
yeah but she shows no interest in or indication that she's going to change her mind. if homura's arc through the series was realizing how unhealthy her relationship was then okay but that's a different show

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Space Flower posted:

i disagree with the idea that kyuubey's wish-granted has a hand here because as far as we see the outcomes are instantaneous, and homura's wish wasn't to save madoka, it was to redo their meeting "not as the one being protected, but as the one protecting her", hence the shield and the time powers. wish granted.

Oh yeah, minor thing this made me think of - people often talk about Kyubey's wishes as Monkey's Paw style-things, but I don't think that's really true. I don't think he ever intentionally sets out to gently caress up anyone's wish, it's just a matter of A: he works with naive kids who don't plan out the implications of their wishes (see Kyouko unwittingly people into joining daddy's church) or B: the benefits of their wish inevitably pale in comparison to being doomed as a magical girl. See Mami wishing to survive her car wreck and then having to throw that life right back into the grinder. Sayaka, Madoka, Homura all get exactly what they want with no real attempts to undermine it besides the obvious costs of magical girldom. Kyousuke gets healed and goes on to live a happy life - sure Sayaka doesn't get with him, but that wasn't what she wished for and her being too nice and too self-sacrifing(+self-loathing once The Troubles begin) to seriously pursue him once Hitomi makes a move is perfectly in line with her character regardless of the wish. Homura gets exactly what she wants, it's just that what she wants is to a shot at doing something that's way way way more difficult than she anticipated. Madoka gets exactly what she wants, seemed to more or less expect the downsides she got (which were perfectly logical consequences to a wish as inherently self-contradictory as hers), and really didn't even seem to have that raw a deal considering that she's still alive/sentient enough to ride a drat chariot out of the gates of Heaven to save the souls of dying magical girls in Rebellion.

That last bit honestly strikes me as a bit of a misstep on Rebellion's part. It's harder to empathize with Homura wanting to save Madoka from her wish when the movie frames Madoka as Literal FemJesus Standing Triumphant Over Death instead of something more along the lines of her being barely concious and eternally battling with all the built-up suffering of history like the ending of the show did. At least for me, this is obviously getting into pretty subjective territory.

homeless snail posted:

yeah but she shows no interest in or indication that she's going to change her mind. if homura's arc through the series was realizing how unhealthy her relationship was then okay but that's a different show

Yeah, and it's okay for someone to go "I think I might like that show better." All I'm saying.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 18, 2017

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

also no mention of the friggin cake song

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

this is amateur hour analysis here

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cake song: dub or sub

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

homeless snail posted:

cake song: dub or sub

To be perfectly honest....dub

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Sharkopath posted:

this is amateur hour analysis here

how much did you enjoy the transformations like how kyouko's has imagery reffing her past and her old powers, or how madoka's cutesy schtick is imagery of her being Homura's personal idol (the part where she breaks through the screen, ahh my heart)

also, breakdance

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Sharkopath posted:

Sharkopath posted:

I only accept this rationale for shorter works like movies or at most one-cour series.

For any long-rear end serials, I better loving know who marries who, etc.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm in the crunchyroll 2.0 beta, when you finish watching a show your printer starts printing a chart of all kissers and kissees (if any) post-show. pretty cool stuff

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Coaaab posted:

I only accept this rationale for shorter works like movies or at most one-cour series.

For any long-rear end serials, I better loving know who marries who, etc.

you are not allowed to enjoy my bomb rear end burgers and ribs at the bbq

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

nor the macaroni

no dweebs allowed

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Space Flower posted:

how much did you enjoy the transformations like how kyouko's has imagery reffing her past and her old powers, or how madoka's cutesy schtick is imagery of her being Homura's personal idol (the part where she breaks through the screen, ahh my heart)

also, breakdance

sayakas the best

the transformation sequence as a whole retroactively validates the entire series, its so dang good

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

sayakas the best

the transformation sequence as a whole retroactively validates the entire series, its so dang good

I just gave it another look on a whim. I like how Homura's drops a couple of like 2-frame long hints that she's all but become a witch and they're all in her labyrinth.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Something's wrong with my crunchyroll account. It's only giving me the option to watch the movie Armageddon

They don't even have subs for it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i have mixed thoguhts, on timeskips, but lucifer and the biscuit hammer is my favorite manga and it has one...

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i have mixed thoguhts, on timeskips, but lucifer and the biscuit hammer is my favorite manga and it has one...

*hand menacingly hovering over teh bbq invite list with a pen*

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

homeless snail posted:

I'm in the crunchyroll 2.0 beta, when you finish watching a show your printer starts printing a chart of all kissers and kissees (if any) post-show. pretty cool stuff

rebellion has two kisses. one in the OP when kyouko falls on sayaka (accidental kiss obstructed by convenient pillar) and once in the scene when kyousaya are talking about hitomi's nightmare right before the fight, and kyouko takes her pocky and tosses it to sayaka, who finishes it (indirect kiss)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I don't generally need timeskips, but I do generally appreciate endings that make it easy for me to imagine a future that doesn't go anywhere too lovely for the characters I liked.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sharkopath posted:

*hand menacingly hovering over teh bbq invite list with a pen*

but my other favorite manga... is strongest man kurosawa...

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The Colonel posted:

but my other favorite manga... is strongest man kurosawa...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiCmbEH5eNE

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Spiritus Nox posted:

I don't generally need timeskips, but I do generally appreciate endings that make it easy for me to imagine a future that doesn't go anywhere too lovely for the characters I liked.

i like it in lucifer and the biscuit hammer because it mostly serves to reinforce the ending's whole thing about how even if you're in a pretty dark place now, it's possible for things to get better

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Spiritus Nox posted:

I just gave it another look on a whim. I like how Homura's drops a couple of like 2-frame long hints that she's all but become a witch and they're all in her labyrinth.

even the first time i saw Homura's transformation it made my heart hurt a little how much the choreography echoes her pain with the whole "reaching out for Madoka" schtick (the series used this a lot) but the runes come into play, and well

http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Runes:Rebellion

homu has it rough

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/s00_kawaii/status/864475865857630209

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

• Locked thread