Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I'm baffled by the fact that someone in square thought it was a good idea to block off gameplay features behind bullshit math puzzles. just gimme the dressphere shinra. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Attitude Indicator posted:

I'm baffled by the fact that someone in square thought it was a good idea to block off gameplay features behind bullshit math puzzles. just gimme the dressphere shinra. gently caress.

The worst is that it's RNG based - got a nice Echo but now you can only use one coin? Thrice in a row? Oh well, might as well gently caress off. It's still better to try to win the Sphere during the plot sequence, mind, but only because the CH. 5 match is ridiculous.

I don't remember exactly, but didn't Climhazzard and Bladebeam have some kind of mechanic in dealing damage relative to the enemy's/your HP? Or was that only in FFT?

Edit: I always thought it was "Climb" Hazard because he climbs the opponent. With his sword.Or a baseball bat in rare cases.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Oct 30, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Szurumbur posted:

I don't remember exactly, but didn't Climhazzard and Bladebeam have some kind of mechanic in dealing damage relative to the enemy's/your HP? Or was that only in FFT?

Pretty sure that's Tactics-only, in VII (and IX in the case of Climhazzard) they just deal extra damage.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

The White Dragon posted:

It depends on how often you post on social media, and what. If Cloud Strife keeps talking about going to wal mart and seeing ratchets fighting, or "lol i cnant see my face #420

<thirty minutes later>

i meant i can't feel my face" it could honestly go either way.

cloud going 'loving OBAMA' and referencing conservative memes every twenty minutes

Armitage fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 30, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

chocobo meat is delicious

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That's barbaric, chocobos are made for loving and petting and riding, not for eating and hurting

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Tempo 119 posted:

The Laguna-Seifer connection is a fun detail, not spelling everything out is good.

IMO there's no reason for Ellone's power to be anything but a freak mutation, or for GFs to be anything more than a class of being that can lend out their powers. There's just a few things in there like Ultimecia's empty backstory, or the totally vague rules surrounding time compression, that really weaken the story in their absence. There's also the war with Adel which is explained ok but sounds way more interesting than whatever's going on now.

There's a lot of interesting stuff going on throughout FFVIII that never truly delivers. FFVIII should have been the one to get a remake. The only thing the VII remake will truly accomplish is making it prettier. VIII could be something really impressive if it was remade/rebooted.

What was the production on VIII like? I've heard vague stories that it was rushed and it was created using leftover ideas from other games. Is that true?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I wanna say I read it was kinda patched together from several different ideas, but lord knows which interview that's attributed to.

But yeah, Edea, Fujin, and Raijin were designed for FFVII. I know Fujin and Raijin weren't used because the Turks made them obsolete.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I recall reading an interview that talked about how because 7 was such a runaway success, there was a huge amount of internal and external pressure with 8 and it went through a lot of development issues like 13 did, like thrown out prototypes, major plot changes fairly late in development, and little in terms of any game to actually play until they were forced to come up with a demo and iron out the battle system.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That is a staggering amount of Franglais :france:

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

IIRC the Dollet demo came out 6 months before the full game, it had Leviathan in it because that was the only summon they'd made, and they wanted to know if the GF system would be well received before they finalized it.

Dunno if any of that's true, just rumours probably but it would explain a fair bit.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 30, 2015

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The only VIII dev stuff I recall is that article joking that it was made with the devs high off the fumes of a gas leak. :v:

From purely how the story plays out, it definitely feels like them trying to paper over the cracks in various places. Though it's hard to tell if it's a result of bad writing, or trying to slap everything that had together because it needs to be out on shelves, or both.

There's at least a few things cut; a few locations that can't be accessed ingame (from Laguna's time period), and there's a few FMVs that were deleted at somepoint. Other than that :shrug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tempo 119 posted:

IIRC the Dollet demo came out 6 months before the full game, it had Leviathan in it because that was the only summon they'd made, and they wanted to know if the GF system would be well received before they finalized it.

Dunno if any of that's true, just rumours probably but it would explain a fair bit.

Nah, Leviathan was in because it was an injoke. The FFVII demo had Aerith in your party equipped with Leviathan for the raid on the reactor at the start.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOJi5QSxJbw

I really like Final Fantasy music. :unsmith:

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Epi Lepi posted:

There's a lot of interesting stuff going on throughout FFVIII that never truly delivers. FFVIII should have been the one to get a remake. The only thing the VII remake will truly accomplish is making it prettier. VIII could be something really impressive if it was remade/rebooted.

What was the production on VIII like? I've heard vague stories that it was rushed and it was created using leftover ideas from other games. Is that true?

From various interviews and books on FF8's development:

- They aimed for the game to be shorter than FF7 but with more replayability and optional content. The most important goal was to make the game more seamless which they achieved with mixed results.
- As producer Kitase, wanted to blur the line between videogame and movie.
- A lot of the visuals were created first without a finished script/scenario. Squall was conceived as having a scar before its origin was written. Some enemy designs that didn't fit anywhere were put in sidequests.
- Graphics team tried to make more detailed character than in FF7 while using less polygons for FF8's models. They used textures and other effects to improve the quality of the models. The goal was to minimize the difference between the models and concept art.
- Players in Japan didn't mind the proportions of character models in FF7. However, it was one of the most consistent negative points in North America and Europe. This made realistic proportions in FF8 a priority.
- It was very difficult getting three characters on screen with realistic joints/proportions and have them move believably.
- The tried to get the scale of buildings right because character models were now life-sized in towns.
- Pre-rendered backgrounds would now have a foreground as well. Characters could now walk behind scenery in the foreground.
- The internal CGI cinematics team was larger than that of FF7 but there was less outsourcing to external studios.
- Biggest jump in cinematics came from use of motion capture. They used professional dancers, martial artists, and athletes for appropriate scenes. However, there was a lot of fine-tuning by animators after the motion capture process.
- The most complicated CGI sequence was the party scene at the end. There was a limit on how many people they could capture at a time. The scene was captured several times with different actors before being spliced together. The also tracked an actual camera's movement to help create the handheld recording feel of the finished scene.
- The audio engineering team wasn't entirely happy with FF7's audio and really wanted to improve it for the sequel. To play CD quality music in real-time gameplay on the PS1, they had to quickly rotate small snippets in and out of memory.
- The game had a mix of Western Europe and Mediterranean imagery for the cities.
- The considered having the Gardens transform and merge together as one like in super robots shows but the idea was dropped.
- The school theme was due to the popularity of highschool themed anime and Japanese dramas of the time. With the initial military theme, they decided to make story about a military academy.
- They included some winter sports imagery (skating rink, Hockey player monsters, sports jerseys, etc.) because Japan was hosting the Nagano Winter Olympics.
- The game took inspiration from the big Hollywood movies at the time, especially military themed films.
- They went to LA and recorded music with the same people who recorded music for Michael Bay's Armageddon. Coincidentally, Michael Bay's The Rock is believed to be influential on both the cinematics and the soundtrack (One song in the demo with similarities to music in the Rock wasn't used in the final game but one song with similarities, 'The Landing,' was).
- They wanted battles, field movement, and cinematics to flow seamlessly but it was just too ambitious for the hardware. They did try to improve the transition from in-game graphics to a CGI scene by superimposing the CGI scene on gameplay just before the transition.
- There was also an ambitious idea for FF8 in that enemies would not only appear on the field but also change and level up themselves as the character leveled up. Eventually, that was pared down to enemies leveling scaling with Squall.
- Triple Triad was initially just an optional collectible card game before the ability to refine cards into item was added.
- Cut content included optional dungeons and mini-games.
- The game and its ideas only started to come together in the year leading up to its release.
- Yoshinori Kitase literally pulled a George Lucas in an interview - "A special effect is a tool, a means of telling a story. A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing/Yes. We want to paint a beautiful picture with the graphics, but that absolutely doesn't mean we're going to neglect the core parts of the game."

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sunning posted:

- The considered having the Gardens transform and merge together as one like in super robots shows but the idea was dropped.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

That's the same one I went to (although not that same place or concert of course), it's a pretty great experience if you've grown up with the series. My favorite part was suddenly hearing Cosmo Canyon's theme out of nowhere during the VII segment which I didn't expect at all, I remember how me and my friend just looked at each other at the same time like "This is the best goddamn thing" when we realized what it was.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Sunning posted:

- As producer Kitase, wanted to blur the line between videogame and movie.

a lot of videogame developers have said this right before releasing a turd of a game

Sunning posted:

what could have been...

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
You know it seems obvious when you say it but it makes so much sense that making realistic-ish models was a real hurdle in development. There's this huge shift in...everything just going from 7's to 8's character models.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

All I know about Proto-FFVIII is that it was initially intended to have a huge love triangle between Squall, Seifer and Rinoa. You can still see that plain as day in the game as it receives all kinds of hints and build-up. But, true to form, FFVIII fails to deliver and the subplot just goes nowhere. Kinda like Seifer's overall character arc, sadly. I was very interested to see there is actually some unused dialogue that is still in the game files that has Rinoa talking about why she was attracted to Seifer during her and Squall's scene on the Ragnarok.

There are also the accusations that FFVIII stole Xenogears' budget. We only know for a fact that FFVII stole some of its budget but it seems highly likely that FFVIII did the same.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Where's my Squall/Rinoa/Seifer/Quistis quadrilateral.

At least the true love story made it into the game.

Zell x hotdogs.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
so heres a thing

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2207/

Return of the Dark Sorcerer is a very large Final Fantasy VI hack that’s been in development for about 5 years. It has had many different hands on to help get it to where it is today.

This hack promises to showcase some of the challenging aspects of FFVI hacking, as well as plenty of fun and exciting new content – from an all new cast of playable characters with customized movesets, a radically changed story with many new and edited events, new overworld maps, a whole new soundtrack, increase in difficulty, lots of new battle scripts for monsters & bosses, and tons of spritework.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Is that the kind of FFVI romhack that's entirely stupid, or the kind that's a genuine improvement over the original's underdeveloped systems that nevertheless includes a handful of baffling and unnecessary bad changes that ruin the entire experience?

Those are the only two kinds.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
it's incredibly stupid

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wonder why romhacking attracts strange people

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Too old for scripts without "gently caress" in them, too young for scripts without "gently caress" in them

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

NikkolasKing posted:

All I know about Proto-FFVIII is that it was initially intended to have a huge love triangle between Squall, Seifer and Rinoa. You can still see that plain as day in the game as it receives all kinds of hints and build-up. But, true to form, FFVIII fails to deliver and the subplot just goes nowhere. Kinda like Seifer's overall character arc, sadly. I was very interested to see there is actually some unused dialogue that is still in the game files that has Rinoa talking about why she was attracted to Seifer during her and Squall's scene on the Ragnarok.

There are also the accusations that FFVIII stole Xenogears' budget. We only know for a fact that FFVII stole some of its budget but it seems highly likely that FFVIII did the same.

Sunning posted:

From various interviews and books on FF8's development:

Xenogear in return stole the giant robot transformation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbeo3b8QYes

Related note, I still have on clue what Ft Hurricane is suppose to be, as it part of the infamous Disc 2 chair sequence.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NikkolasKing posted:

Doesn't it actually get brought up during the big feelings admission conversation following the space junk? Easy to forget because hey, that spacejunk was some weird rear end poo poo.

It wasn't huge as such but it managed to lay down the foundation enough to justify that dialog (if it actually exists outside my recollection of what I wanted FF8 to be) and layer in the dramatic irony. It lays down that she met Seifer during initial negotiations with SeeD. She dances with Squall in an attempt to make Seifer jealous, and is somewhat stricken when she finds out Seifer is not part of the train operation in Timber. I forget but I think they made eyes at each other or something when Seifer assaults the news set, like he's trying to swing hard on playing hard to get and too cool and trying to make it up by doing her contract all gung ho style, before switching hard back into the sorceress knight thing when meeting Ultimecia-Edea on the set. I think RInoa also does something or other histrionic during the announcement of Seifer's faux execution but its overshadowed by Squall's famous line.

The discussion when Squall and RInoa are admitting their feelings after the space odyssey brings it back in to your mind in time for the final confrontation, where I think Seifer mentions something about being distracted before he met Ultimecia. The whole thing being irony intended to compare Seifer and Ultimecia with Squall and Rinoa to show Squall was the real sorceress' knight by staying in school and being true to his emotions.

e. I was reminded how Rinoa dancing with Squall only ended up making Quistis jealous at which point she uses her teacher's authority to force Squall on a date to the school's Makeout Point so FF8 is weird, hilarious, and awful among other things when it wants to be.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 3, 2015

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
While we're still on FF8 (but don't worry, we'll be talking about it again a couple pages in the future!), the backstory is kind of loving crazy even for a Final Fantasy game. The moon can become so stuffed full of monsters that they fall to the planet below, and the god who made the world killed kids until humans got mad and went to war with him so he shed his skin and gave it to them as a peace offering and became a skeleton man and the power that was in his skin made sorceresses. Like wtf. Final Fantasy 7 just had Zack fight the goddess of the planet and die later on to an army of regular humans, FF2 just had the main villain take over both sides of the afterlife. No child murder there.

EDIT: lololol Crisis Core, mah bad. If they had put that in the original FF7 it would have used up their entire budget.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 3, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FF9's backstory being a hosed up version of Dragon Ball Z seemed a little out there to me as a kid.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
FF13 being a retelling of Willow is the weirdest tho

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Attitude Indicator posted:

a lot of videogame developers have said this right before releasing a turd of a game

what could have been...

Kitase admitted he wanted to grow up to be a movie director and much of that passion transferred over to his work as director/producer of videogames. His love of characters, and setpieces in films has had an impact on the games he has worked on. The presence of action packed train set pieces in the FF games comes from his love of movies such as Bridge on the River Kwai. FF7 probably wouldn't have been a big hit if he hadn't been for his work as director. In fact, the landscape of JRPG development might have been very different if it wasn't for Kitase's focus on presentation and story-telling.

At the same time, his games have suffered by focusing on visuals and story at the expense of solid gameplay systems. In the current RPG market, many players are willing to overlook a lack of polish in the visuals/story if the minute to minute gameplay is engaging. This has also been exacerbated by rival developers closing the gap between their game and FF's story and visuals. Just about every publisher from mid-publishers like Deep Silver to mega-publishers like Electronic Arts is capable of producing a game with cutting edge visuals and cutscenes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Bongo Bill posted:

Is that the kind of FFVI romhack that's entirely stupid, or the kind that's a genuine improvement over the original's underdeveloped systems that nevertheless includes a handful of baffling and unnecessary bad changes that ruin the entire experience?

Those are the only two kinds.

And the only VI that's ever been worth playing was Awful Fantasy.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Speaking of Final Fantasy rom hacks, Actual Good FF4 Hack Unprecedented Crisis got an update recently to 3.0, apparently the final release.

It fixes some bugs, adds a special ending for beating it with solo Cecil, and even releases the files so if you want you can edit the hack yourself. :v:

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Help Im Alive posted:

I wonder why romhacking attracts strange people

Imagine being the sort of guy who is talented enough to debug and refactor undocumented, obtuse, buggy, 20 year old assembly code but has zero of the social graces required to get a job using that skill set

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

pretty soft girl posted:

Imagine being the sort of guy who is talented enough to debug and refactor undocumented, obtuse, buggy, 20 year old assembly code but has zero of the social graces required to get a job using that skill set

Or you're the kind of guy who has a really good idea man and if only someone would make it (these are 99% failed romhacks) and then there's the few who go "Oh, I'll just go in and change a few things" and then it snowballs. That's people like me. Constantly afraid they're going to produce crap.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

bloodychill posted:

FF13 being a retelling of Willow is the weirdest tho

What's Willow and how does it exactly compare to the massive trainwreck that was Final Fantasy Moms are Tough XIII?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Willow is the prequel to Leprechaun and also includes Val Kilmer cross dressing, but even as a Willow and FF13 fan I'm going to need the comparison laid out in detail because FF13 is missing some important stuff like the Leprechaun, and Val Kilmer cross dressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

so heres a thing

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2207/

Return of the Dark Sorcerer is a very large Final Fantasy VI hack that’s been in development for about 5 years. It has had many different hands on to help get it to where it is today.

This hack promises to showcase some of the challenging aspects of FFVI hacking, as well as plenty of fun and exciting new content – from an all new cast of playable characters with customized movesets, a radically changed story with many new and edited events, new overworld maps, a whole new soundtrack, increase in difficulty, lots of new battle scripts for monsters & bosses, and tons of spritework.

It sounds like they made their own story unrelated to FFVI at all.

README posted:

It is a highly personalized modification of the original game and therefore naturally won't appeal to everyone. It's not a sequel or a prequel or a remake to FFVI, it is just a massive mod and customization of FFVI. If you go into it thinking like this I am sure you will have a much more enjoyable experience than expecting some high quality re-take on the game and coming out feeling disappointed. That being said, a lot of time and love has gone into this project and I couldn't be happier with how it has turned out thus far.

I'll give it a shot later but man it's probably going to be awful.