Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bullet proof things are bullet proof because they deform to absorb the energy of the bullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

At my last tabletop D&D campaign I was a part of, we had ascended through an astral plane accidentally and all the party members had achieved a demi-God status. All of us were to select both a power and a weakness. One of our party was a bard and he was famous for rolling critical fails (1 on a d20). His strength was that he could perform truly amazing acts that would get the attention of both mortals and immortal creatures. His weakness was hubris. He RP'ed that character so well. He'd do just the dumbest poo poo because he was convinced of how excellent he was at everything. To the point that he got us into a situation that resulted in a TPK.

I think I've found that Elon Musk is my old party's bard. He'll attract the attention of everyone, and gently caress it all up with hubris. He could have shaved probably $10-20k off the price of the model X by just putting regular doors, but no, those stupid gullwing things had to be on there. He could have had an easy rear end pickup, but no, gotta be bulletproof and look like an origami boat. I want them to do well, but they always leave the door open to someone else being more practical and less idiotic about stuff that doesn't matter.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

See, I'm the opposite. I admire Tesla for making crazy cars because they're cool and ignoring all the safe moves. gently caress practicality, I want 80s wedges.

But I hate Musk's smug face and want him to die penniless and alone.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Q!=E

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KillHour posted:

See, I'm the opposite. I admire Tesla for making crazy cars because they're cool and ignoring all the safe moves. gently caress practicality, I want 80s wedges.

But I hate Musk's smug face and want him to die penniless and alone.

The problem is that they aren't cool 80s wedges designed by cool 80s designers, it's a miss-the-point child's design by someone that's never worked a day in their life.

DOME this is not.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KakerMix posted:

The problem is that they aren't cool 80s wedges designed by cool 80s designers, it's a miss-the-point child's design by someone that's never worked a day in their life.

DOME this is not.

This comes back to my "gently caress Elon" statement. I like the idea but the execution is garbage. See also: giant tablets for an interface.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Billionaires shouldn't exist. :redhammer:

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I still dont get the "Its not going to be for everyone/ It will be polarizing" comment before the reveal.

You are a company trying to sell things and make money.

Then they come out with a concept that alienates the majority of people looking forward to something. Its not bold. Its loving dumb.
It was already going to be an uphill battle trying to win over people who currently buy F150s, GMCs, Silverados. If they had made the concept more like those renders we saw way back, it was still going to have to fight hard for sales.
"Thats not a REAL TRUCK!"
But now? gently caress. Good luck with that.

Ive asked people what they thought about the Rivian, and some are like "its a little weird, but its pretty cool."
I have yet to speak to a single person who saw the Tesla truck and went "oh man thats it. Thats what I want."

I went from thinking in 2 years I had a tough decision to make about getting either the Rivian or the Tesla truck, to turning off the Cybertruck reveal live stream in disgust.
It would have been so god drat lazy, but I honestly wish they had just took a hint from Simone Giertz's Truckla. Instead just take a Model X ad throw a truck bed on it. I would have rather had that at the reveal.

If you want to make a wedge Robocop truck for yourself and drive to and from interviews that shows how futuristic and weird you are, cool do that Elon. But dont bank your next vehicle on something like that.

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 23, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You say all that as if Tesla has the production capacity to actually put out a mainstream truck competitor to something like the F150.

They don't. The number of these things sold was going to be limited by how many they could actually produce so they absolutely have the latitude to make something that doesn't appeal to everyone because they are still going to sell every single one that they can build and more importantly they are going to sell to mostly fans which will be more willing to overlook some of the other faults of the company.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Franco Caution posted:

Ive asked people what they thought about the Rivian, and some are like "its a little weird, but its pretty cool."
I have yet to speak to a single person who saw the Tesla truck and went "oh man thats it. Thats what I want."

You called? I think the design is no holds barred awesome. The more I see of it in after-show videos, the better I like it.

Sure, I can point to a long chain of influences on my brain that help with that, but it is what it is. I’m enthusiastic that a car manufacturer wants to design something unique - like some of the vehicles I grew up with in the 80s and 90s. I’m also enthusiastic that somebody will finally produce a vehicle that looks like what I was promised for 2020.

I may very well buy one, against my better judgement of what I think of Tesla and the company’s longevity - that’s how much I like the design. If I do, I will be playing NewRetroWave music in it 24/7, and wear a black leather trench coat if need be.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

JK Fresco posted:

This is also a problem with Tesla already where repairs and bodywork are so punishingly expensive that you're afraid to drive it around

In this case some body damage might actually be an improvement.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

morothar posted:

You called? I think the design is no holds barred awesome. The more I see of it in after-show videos, the better I like it.
Agreed. I don't love it, and still find it a bad joke of design, but nobody can argue that it isn't *different*. They'll sell every one they want to produce, and then some. Most of their production is going to go towards 3/Y, but they'll sell a decent number of these, on par with S/X

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
So what price is everyone picking it will actually start at. Clearly it won’t be $40k but I’m wondering how far over it’ll go.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

I’m gonna predict 49k base w/ no upgrades

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

dissss posted:

So what price is everyone picking it will actually start at. Clearly it won’t be $40k but I’m wondering how far over it’ll go.

$80K at least, $100K with all the options.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I've decided that Cybertruck is too boring. I want a spherical Tesla van with iris doors, which is gyroscopically stabilized within a rolling tube frame containing the batteries. In case of emergency/minor software glitch it fires the explosive bolts, sending the sphere sailing away from the collision to safety.

:orb:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 23, 2019

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Just lol that the AUTOMOTIVE INSANITY section of SA out of all places is crying about the CYYYBBERRTRUCKK's design.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

BrownieVK posted:

Just lol that the AUTOMOTIVE INSANITY section of SA out of all places is crying about the CYYYBBERRTRUCKK's design.

:rolleyes:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BrownieVK posted:

It's AUTOMOTIVE INSANITY, not AUTOMOTIVE SEVERE COGNITIVE DISABILITY.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

nor is it AUTOMOTIVE MACULAR DEGENERATION either

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Terrorists need trucks that don't break, though.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
The Cybertruck is cool because it looks like nothing else on the road. Once they've been on the road for 5 years it's going to free up designers to make other vehicles that don't all look like clones of each other.

EDIT: I mean I think it looks like ridiculous rear end, but at least it's different.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
I never said it looked good lol.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Prong Song posted:

The Cybertruck is cool because it looks like nothing else on the road. Once they've been on the road for 5 years it's going to free up designers to make other vehicles that don't all look like clones of each other.

EDIT: I mean I think it looks like ridiculous rear end, but at least it's different.

By the time they've been on the road for five years, we'll all be dead.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

All we want is life beyond the thunderdome

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
I like the design I just don't like Tesla

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Eh. If I wanted to drop $40k+ on a new vehicle, I could see buying one.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Anyone willing to buy (lol) a Tesla, let alone CYBERTRUCK, is a much braver person than I

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Aren’t real work trucks expected to last a certain number of service years? And be able to be serviced?

Someone here in fleet management must have a sane opinion?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Ultimate Mango posted:

Aren’t real work trucks expected to last a certain number of service years? And be able to be serviced?

thats why they made a vehicle that doesnt need maintenance

checkmate, :elongate:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ultimate Mango posted:

A truck is expected to be a truck in all the ways it is supposed to be a truck. Tough, reliable, inexpensive for what you get. Even though a vast majority of trucks sold today never actually get used as trucks like say, a fleet or construction company uses them, they still have to perform like that if asked.
Jeeps, they gotta be Jeeps in all the ways a Jeep is a Jeep in order to be able to cash the check their design writes.

This Cybertruck is bulletproof though I guess so ???

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

If you didn’t want a Cybertruck before what about now?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3992688

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

CyberNUTZ a $6000 option.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The CyberNUTZ are actually a range extender! Form AND function!

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The CyberNUTZ are actually a range extender! Form AND function!

electrons are stored in the balls

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Jymmybob posted:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jymmybob posted:

I did a genuine lol at this

dk2m
May 6, 2009
cybertruck is good because all the people that complained about boring designs and crash standards and all that are suddenly soapboxing how weird it is

i hope it sells millions and inspires a new generation of designers and convince bean counters to actually take risks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

dk2m posted:

cybertruck is good because all the people that complained about boring designs and crash standards and all that are suddenly soapboxing how weird it is

i hope it sells millions and inspires a new generation of designers and convince bean counters to actually take risks

Am I allowed to agree with this post but still think it's stupid? Regardless of what it looks like I likely wouldn't end up buying one, or any other new car because money, so my opinion reeeally doesn't matter worth poo poo