Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

A lot of hitboxes in this game are really good and tight but it seems like the way they implemented grabs is pretty hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

argondamn posted:

A lot of hitboxes in this game are really good and tight but it seems like the way they implemented grabs is pretty hosed up.

It's mostly just large enemies in general that have garbage hitboxes.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Couldn't you escape the enemy grabs by mashing L1 and R1 in the first DS? Why did they take that out?

Orv
May 4, 2011

BillmasterCozb posted:

Couldn't you escape the enemy grabs by mashing L1 and R1 in the first DS? Why did they take that out?

No?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

BillmasterCozb posted:

You couldn't escape them, but you could minimize/nullify damage. I have a distinct feeling DS2 doesn't actually use much/any DS1 source code, so it's less "taking it out" and "forgetting to put it back in".

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Just picked this up, having never gone more than 20 minutes into a previous ____ Souls title. Not liking the Xbox button tooltips for kb/m play, or the default bindings.

Anyone have any tips on better bindings for keyboard and mouse, or Steam controller? (Also general newbie tips - the ones in the OP are a bit cryptic.)

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I play this with my PS3 controller plugged into my PC and use a program called DS3 so my PC thinks its a 360 controller so DS2 recognizes it.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Just picked this up, having never gone more than 20 minutes into a previous ____ Souls title. Not liking the Xbox button tooltips for kb/m play, or the default bindings.

Anyone have any tips on better bindings for keyboard and mouse, or Steam controller? (Also general newbie tips - the ones in the OP are a bit cryptic.)

Don't use KB+M ever. It just doesn't work no matter how hard you try. Just use a controller and get used to the core mechanics.

Gameplay-wise, boost your health and stamina early on, and be sure to raise your ADP until your Agility gets to at least 92 (preferably 96) ASAP.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

One-shotting Drakekeepers with the Smelter Hammer R2 is the best feeling. Especially that Greathammer fucker.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Alabaster White posted:

You couldn't escape them, but you could minimize/nullify damage. I have a distinct feeling DS2 doesn't actually use much/any DS1 source code, so it's less "taking it out" and "forgetting to put it back in".

More or less. It's not like Demon's Souls to Dark Souls where you could actually wear some ring effects from the former while playing the latter.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
No, in Dark Souls 1 you could actively escape grabs by doing that. You minimize the damage by leaving them early. In the case of mimics, it even had a unique animation.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Apparently it's best to attack Mimics from the sides of the chest, since the grab hitbox can and will get you from the rear,

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Here's a bit of oft repeated advice, the most important thing you can do to make your character better is to upgrade your weapon. Almost every weapon is viable and eventually upgrade materials become pretty common, so if you find a weapon you like, upgrade it! Just because a weapon has a humble name or the description says it's not good doesn't mean it's actually not good. The shortsword, for example, is a really nice sword, especially in the early game.

The blacksmith in Majula sells some of the very best weapons in the game. Lots of people love the mace, though I personally find it hard to use. The longsword is fast and incredibly versatile. Basically every move it has is pure gold. The rapier is the ultimate boss killer and does more straight DPS than pretty much anything else. The estoc does less damage than the rapier but has longer reach, staggers enemies better and has a much better moveset. The spear and the falchion are also top notch and worth trying.

Priorities for spending your souls: First, get the stats to use the weapon and shield you want. Second, if you have upgrade materials, upgrade your weapon. Third, raise defensive stats. Offensive stats don't contribute much to your damage with most weapons, so they are the lowest priority.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Oh... if you talk to Lucatiel at Aldia's without finishing 3 fights her quest is hosed. Well drat, I thought she'd just hang out there for some reason.

Burned my way though NG+ fairly quickly, skipped Vendrick and the Ancient Dragon, only entered 2 Giant's memories, one of which was only to talk to Benhart. Stuck around to grab the two rat souls for more pyromancy I won't use, and onto NG++! Again.

At this point I'm only playing to get the last few achievements (all sorcercy, miracles, and Lucatiel.) Not much longer and I am freeeeeeeee until Dark Souls 3 comes out. And is on sale for $40 or less. Probably $30. Unless reviews say it kept too much DS2 in it.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It's weird but I'm kinda glad they didn't make you put down Lucatiel like all the comrades you make from the two previous games.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

On my current playthrough (DEX, curved swords only and maybe a greatsword), Lucatiel's greatsword feels underwhelming. Not really a nice reward for doing her quest to be honest. The set is ok but I still like Benhart's more and the sword, while not being amazing, at least looks cool.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Just picked up this and the expac. Anything I need to know going in beyond what's in the op? I played the first dark souls compulsively so I get the basic mechanics.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

GodspeedSphere posted:

Just picked up this and the expac. Anything I need to know going in beyond what's in the op? I played the first dark souls compulsively so I get the basic mechanics.

If you want to do PVP make sure your Soul Memory doesn't get too high, the game has an incredibly stupid system where it places you in a tier based on the total number of souls picked up rather than souls spent which can end up forcing you out of the most played tiers even if your Soul Level isn't that high. Other than that, the OP covers pretty much everything, it's more Dark Souls, have fun!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

So, Fume Knight really is something else huh? He feels like From Software's attempt to make the ultimate Knight boss. Two swords with different swing speeds, a hundred different combos with deceptive timings and an AoE which bullet hells the whole screen, everything about him seems designed a response to the shortcomings of most of DS2's bosses and to shut down commonn player strategies against them. It's a really interesting fight!

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 15, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I haven't played this game in ages so I figured I might as well get SOTFS to start really fresh.

I had forgotten how much I absolutely love this game :swoon:

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Apparently it's best to attack Mimics from the sides of the chest, since the grab hitbox can and will get you from the rear,

Someone did a test and apparently the Mimic grab attack acts like pvp backstabs in that as long as you are touching it (regardless of where / which direction you are facing) it connects.

I imagine the same is true of Ogre's, although I've always dealt with them by strafing behind them until they fall into a butt-stomp loop.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Guillermus posted:

On my current playthrough (DEX, curved swords only and maybe a greatsword), Lucatiel's greatsword feels underwhelming. Not really a nice reward for doing her quest to be honest. The set is ok but I still like Benhart's more and the sword, while not being amazing, at least looks cool.

Lucatiel is only worthwhile for her hat, and sometimes her coat depending on your current dressup. Don't need to do the quest for that. :unsmigghh:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Guillermus posted:

Lucatiel's armor is really good though!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Orv posted:

Lucatiel is only worthwhile for her hat, and sometimes her coat depending on your current dressup. Don't need to do the quest for that. :unsmigghh:
That's strange, a friend of mine swore by the Mirrah Greatsword and did everything he could (killing her and farming the souls) to get it early. Absolutely in love with the moveset, especially for PvP. I never tried it myself, though, not a plain-rear end sword kinda guy.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

That's strange, a friend of mine swore by the Mirrah Greatsword and did everything he could (killing her and farming the souls) to get it early. Absolutely in love with the moveset, especially for PvP. I never tried it myself, though, not a plain-rear end sword kinda guy.

It's basically a minor sidegrade of the Claymore, with 5 less AR on a Quality build but higher counter damage and a couple of minor moveset changes. I was using a Claymore for this run anyway so I switched to the Mirrah Greatsword when I got it, but it's really nothing earth shattering

Orv
May 4, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

I knew, past tense being operative, a man who swore by Stormruler for PvP. Except he'd never switch away from it. Take such things as you will.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
What would be the thread's recommendations for maximizing damage from Estocs, probably dual wielded?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is SotFS darker than vanilla DS2? I've come across a couple of rooms that are so dark I literally can't see anything :darksouls:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Yes!!!!!!!! Torches finally have some use

(also try using them also where you can see where you're going. keep an eye out for shadows that don't belong :tinfoil:)

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Artificer posted:

What would be the thread's recommendations for maximizing damage from Estocs, probably dual wielded?

Estocs scale from strength, though not by a huge amount. At first you're probably only going to want the stats to dual wield them. Raising strength is a low priority. Personally, I would recommend a different off-hand weapon. You already have poking covered, you may as well have more options.The short sword is really good in the off-hand because you will get the straight sword powerstance L1s(they're very good), but the stamina cost will be quite low. Later, once you start raising Str and have more endurance, you can switch to the red rust scimitar, which has a great powerstance moveset and hits hard.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Artificer posted:

Dual wield power stance with 40STR/18DEX, Ring of Blades, Flynn's Ring, (Old Leo Ring for bosses). +10 Estocs, no infusions.
If you want to put more points into pure damage, STR is better than DEX up to 50, and marginally better even from there on.

For buffs, go Sacred Oath as it applies to both weapons. It takes 4 attunement slots so will only really be used for bosses and PvP. That's 20 ATT / 24 FTH.
You can use a resin on your right hand Estoc for even more damage.
If you want to increase the short term damage potential even higher, you can also level up int to 10-15 for magic weapon or 15-24 for dark weapon (higher = more duration) and apply that to your left hand Estoc. You'll need another spell slot also for that.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I beat Alonne with magic only to get my 11th wedge so I could finish Nadalia's soul and get a dumb achievement but there's no Ashen Idol left for me to jam it in.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 15, 2016

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

argondamn posted:

I beat Alonne with magic only to get my 12th wedge so I could finish Nadalia's soul and get a dumb achievement but there's no Ashen Idol left for me to jam it in.

There are 11 idols and 11 wedges, aren't there? unless they carry over into NG+?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm trying to break into muscle wizardry, do the caesti or other fist weapons take magic infusions well, or would it be better to use a spell based buff? Is there anything that has the cool shoryuken from the dragon bone fist in DS1?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Bone fists let you do hadokens and do heihachi moves. Dont think they take enchanting well though since they are str/dex weapons with very high stat reqs.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

argondamn posted:

I beat Alonne with magic only to get my 12th wedge so I could finish Nadalia's soul and get a dumb achievement but there's no Ashen Idol left for me to jam it in.
Are you certain? First, do you have the true soul of Nadalia? (The pieces will become one item and change their description while a message appears on-screen saying much the same.) If not, it sounds like you've just missed the last Ashen Idol to jam it in. The three most obvious places to miss are:
-The side tower near the Foyer (third) bonfire. The idol itself generates curse and is being guarded by Maldron the Assassin, so be on your guard.
-The locked door also near the Foyer bonfire. The idol here just makes the Ashen Warriors tougher and revives the Possessed Armors while it's active.
-Up a few elevators from the Foyer bonfire, behind one of four doors guarded by an Iron Warrior. This one can also be dangerous considering that it heals the Iron Warrior (who hits like a truck), so your best bet may be to lure away the Iron Warrior before opening the door/destroying the Idol.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I figured it out. Dumb Idol never popped up in the room of death with the Iron Warrior and the keg hollows so I was overlooking it. I figured I had already done that one since I usually do and there wasn't an idol there when I looked at it from the top.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

Lucatiel's armor is really good though!

My fashion souls this run: Penal Mask, Agdayne's black robe, engraved gauntlets, agdayne's kilt with Llewellyn shield and warped sword (falchion if it breaks during combat) or a drakekeeper sword to keep the theme.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I finally beat Fume Knight and then ended up one shotting Sir Alonne, poor guy. He probably should have some before Fume, given he isn't one tenth such a piece of poo poo to fight. Both great fights overall though, Fume Knight especially was a real piece of combat design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So uh, these Heide knights huh. I barely got up from the bonfire before two of them had already ganged up on me, these things have a crazy aggro range.

At least this should make it easier to farm the coolest armor set in the game :madmax: