Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

HopperUK posted:

I had a look. It's uncinematic, there's too much talking, Richard Attenborough's Scottish accent is unconvincing. Ellie is a bad character, Wayne Knight can't act, the visbility and noise levels of the dinosaurs are inconsistent (this one is true but who gives a gently caress), the kids are 'squealing tykes', the music is 'too high and brassy'.

This person is an idiot.

Thanks for saving me the click. All stupid points.

Attenborough's accent is fine. I think there's a pop-culture idea of all Scottish accents being "roll your Rs and be angry all the time". There are softly spoken, upper class Scots and accents other than Glaswegian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Thanks for saving me the click. All stupid points.

Attenborough's accent is fine. I think there's a pop-culture idea of all Scottish accents being "roll your Rs and be angry all the time". There are softly spoken, upper class Scots and accents other than Glaswegian.

I think it's interesting to see which accents are represented in American media as the stereotypical "person from country X" accent. This is most likely tied to immigration patterns, specifically to the first generation of immigrants from each country into the US. A lot of people emigrated to the US in the past 150 years to find a better life and it's not surprising that most of these people were lower class or from poorer areas in their country of origin.

Souther Italy is/was poorer than the north and a lot of people emigrated from there, so the stereotypical Italian accents in American media is from either Naples (the "Super Mario" accent) or from Sicily (the Godfather, etc); with the caveat that other regions in Italy do have strong accents that are completely different from those (the same way an Aussie or British person would have a very distinctive accents/word usage from someone from New York). The same is true for other accents as well (with Irish people in American media often having an inexplicable Northern Irish accent even if they are supposed to be from Dublin - although I suspect this is strictly tied to IRA representation in older media).

It would be interesting to know if other communities have their "stereotypical" accent tied to immigrants of a specific part of the country, especially for larger countries like India or China where I would expect regional dialects to be even more diverse (although I admit my ignorance on this).

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
People just have really bad preconceptions about accents. If an accent doesn't line up exactly how someone thinks that accent should sound, they'll claim it's bad or fake, even if they've never heard a native speaker before. Like when people called out Leliana's French accent in Dragon Age as fake but the actress is an actual French woman and that is how she speaks English, or Vanille in Final Fantasy 13's "fake" Aussie accent coming from an actual Australian.

Speaking of accents in videogames, Xenoblade 2 gave every big regional culture their own accents from the different regions of the UK. That was a nice detail.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I know there's a whole thing about Germans perceiving people with Bavarian accents as being absolute hicks.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

I know there's a whole thing about Germans perceiving people with Bavarian accents as being absolute hicks.

There's a possibly apocryphal tale of Arnold Schwarzenegger wanting to do the German dub of Terminator but they turned him down because Austrian accents are thought of the same way

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

bitterandtwisted posted:

There's a possibly apocryphal tale of Arnold Schwarzenegger wanting to do the German dub of Terminator but they turned him down because Austrian accents are thought of the same way
This has always seemed to be the challenge of translating a Kansai dialect. IIRC, the Azumanga Daioh anime translated Osaka with a Southern accent, but either the official or fan manga translation (I forget which) was closer to Brooklyn.

All this makes me wonder how well other countries can pick out different American accents, like Boston vs. Southern vs. Midwestern.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Keromaru5 posted:

This has always seemed to be the challenge of translating a Kansai dialect. IIRC, the Azumanga Daioh anime translated Osaka with a Southern accent, but either the official or fan manga translation (I forget which) was closer to Brooklyn.

All this makes me wonder how well other countries can pick out different American accents, like Boston vs. Southern vs. Midwestern.

I'm a huge accent nerd so I've learned to pick out a few but I can tell you now that most folk here in the UK can't tell at all. Like they might be able to tell if someone sounds like a cartoon cowboy, but picking out Boston, or that upstate New York thing that Tim DeKay talks like, or telling New York from Chicago? No.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Keromaru5 posted:

Boston definitely stands out. South as well, although you'd have a trickier time being more specific than "Texas". I don't know if most people outside NA have a good idea of what states actually make up the Midwest, although you definitely get some feel for the accent from something like Fargo or sitcom The Middle.

I watched Logan Lucky last night and I needed a refresher on where West Virginia was. I figured it was far deeper South based on the accent (although I have no idea if these acting ladies and gents sounded authenthic).

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

As a non American ESL person I can just about tell "southern accent" from "no southern accent". I guess I could identify some other regional stereotypes (new jersey Guido type, California bubblegum girl type) but I think that's the presentation as much as the accent.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Mierenneuker posted:

I don't know if most people outside NA have a good idea of what states actually make up the Midwest

This seems to be somewhat contentious even in the Midwest, but it's kind of a meaningless term when it stretches as far north as the border and as far east as Ohio. (I refuse to acknowledge the respondants arguing West Virginia and Pennsylvania as part of the midwest.)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's where Montana is?? I thought they were all cowboys and poo poo, you're telling me they're north of Detroit?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

lmao we still got plenty of cowboys, they're just very cold most of the time

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If there's an accent that can be found throughout the United States, it's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPuS1XoRoJs

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

California and surroundings: deserts and debauchery. Texas and surroundings: cowboys, oil barons, y'all. Louisiana and surroundings: black people, witches, alligators. East coast: Friends takes place here. Ohio-Illinois and surroundings: shows about miserable small towns take place here. West coast (not California): ???

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

pidan posted:

West coast (not California): ???

Drinks coffee, perpetually depressed since it rains all the time, possibly Sasquatch?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

They've gotten a bit better at the over the last couple of years (by actually consulting with Dutch people or *gasp* hiring Dutch actors) but it used to be that whenever a Dutch person was portrayed the accent would invariably be German or Scandinavion or whatever or they'd be speaking gibberish. Like even when it was a major plotpoint in a high budget production. Hell, I've seen scenes that were filmed on location in the Netherlands (I checked) where they just couldn't be bothered to get it right. Really simple and obvious stuff too, like when they actually tried but half assed it and it's obvious they literally used google translate or whatever so the grammar is all wrong or the use the wrong synonym. Motherfucker you're a huge production with A list actors and a budget of hundreds of millions and you can't be arsed to spend half an hour and 50 bucks to have your poo poo proof read by an actual Dutch person? It's loving insulting.

Like I said, it's gotten better over the last decade or so. And I do appreciate engaging in a bit of stereotype for comedic effect and poo poo, but there's a balance. Like the Spider Man movie where Tom Holland wakes up in the Netherlands and walks out of the police station onto a cosplay farmer's market only to get picked up from a field of tulips with windmills in the background of literally every scene was loving hilarious because they obviously did their research and hired actual Dutch people to portray the Dutch.

Another highlight for me was the Netflix Dracula series where Agatha Van Hellsing's actress did such a phenomal job portraying a Dutch accent I was confused because I didn't recognize her and I googled her only to find out that nope, she's not Dutch, just an English actress who actually put the work in to get it right.

It used to really piss me off. Not because of a sense of patriotism or whatever but because it's so insultingly lazy.

And I understand that this is a relatively minor gripe, especially when compared to how other countries are portrayed (like how everything south of US border is tinted orange or how every middle eastern city is sandy and dusty and underdeveloped without paved roads and nobody wears modern clothes) which is another issue entirely.

My gripe is poo poo like this:
https://youtu.be/KEiatIa1mn4

Where they did get someone the voice the perfectly accurate news report but then have Americans awkwardly try to pronounce awkwardly constructed Dutch sentences. IIRC there's another scene with the same family where half of them are inexplicably dressed out in centuries old traditional costumes as if some producer decided it's not Dutch enough so let me order some a typical Dutch outfit from loving Wish.com or whatever and let's call it a day.

It's not like we're some rare, big unknown in Hollywood. Paul Verhoeven, Famke Jansen, Carice van Houten, Rutger Hauer, Michiel Huisman, just off the top of my head. We've made a name for ourselves, and I'm sure there's plenty of people in the industry that can fix this poo poo easily and cheaply.

/rant, lmao this turned out longer than I intended.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Don't forget the biggest Dutchman in Hollywood: Goldmember.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yeah I considered including him in my post, even going so far as to look up a video of it, but Austin Powers is (intentionally?) so low effort that I just filed it under bad to the point they weren't even trying and whatever who gives a poo poo. Like that SM scene in Eurotrip where all the accents are bad German and the safe word isn't a Dutch word at all (more German, again) and has bunch of accents and poo poo that neither Dutch nor German use.

It's so bad I can't even be bothered because whatever, they weren't pretending to care. But when they do pretend to care or it's a serious enough production that they should've, that's when it pisses me off, especially went they went half way and then just gave up, like in the Blacklist example. They put in the effort to create an accurate news report in exactly the style and with exactly the language it would've been like in reality (maybe a decade off but whatever) and then in the very same loving scene have crappy American actors crappily pronounce crappily translated Dutch sentences.

If you're a native speaker of any language other than Dutch, look at that scene and tell me that the language in the news report doesn't sound completely different from the language spoken by actual actors. You don't have to be a native speaker to be able to tell the difference.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

All I know about the Midwest is that it's where people will snatch your necklace and jack your lexus

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

HopperUK posted:

Ellie is a bad character,
rude and hurtful

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

pidan posted:

As a non American.

My condolences

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

oldpainless posted:

My condolences

More like olduniversalhealthcareless lol gottem

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

oldpainless posted:

My condolences

Don't worry, I am pretty sure it means they don't go to any of your schools.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
It also means they may be secretly British .

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So, in Rounders when Mike beats Teddy KGB at the end, why is Grama so super pissed off about it? Mike still owes him the money and I presume will have pay off his and Worm's debt out of his winnings and then keep the rest that he took off Teddy. No?

I don't see why Grama gives a poo poo one way or the other and, in fact, I'd think he'd be happy that Mike won since now he gets paid instead of having to beat the poo poo out of someone. Or did I miss something and the deal was that Teddy was gambling with Grama's money? Still, how does that cancel Mike and Worm's debt?

Also, I love the movie but "the fach" was happening with Malkovich and that accent? Pay dat myan his mahnee cracks me up every time.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Speaking of accents Ocracoke island has a wild one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Given how the stereotypical oktoberfest and lederhosen German is apparently Bavarian, it's been compared to how Americans are stereotyped as Texans.

Also, Sean Connery's Scottish accent is unique entirely to him, involving both living in an odd border place and having a mild speech impediment.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

BiggerBoat posted:

So, in Rounders when Mike beats Teddy KGB at the end, why is Grama so super pissed off about it? Mike still owes him the money and I presume will have pay off his and Worm's debt out of his winnings and then keep the rest that he took off Teddy. No?

I don't see why Grama gives a poo poo one way or the other and, in fact, I'd think he'd be happy that Mike won since now he gets paid instead of having to beat the poo poo out of someone. Or did I miss something and the deal was that Teddy was gambling with Grama's money? Still, how does that cancel Mike and Worm's debt?

Also, I love the movie but "the fach" was happening with Malkovich and that accent? Pay dat myan his mahnee cracks me up every time.

I think it’s a slightly clumsy attempt to make him look like a badass who’d rather beat people up than get paid. I didn’t find it convincing because of that stupid loving hat he wears. It’s a film where the good bits and crap bits are evenly distributed throughout, so though it misses being good, nothing in it is egregious enough to make it bad.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

I say “Pay heem. Pay day mayn hees mahnee” at least once a week.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Joey Freshwater posted:

I say “Pay heem. Pay day mayn hees mahnee” at least once a week.

Layz dyown a monsta. The Fach...dit you lay dat dyown?

You goons feeling satisfied now? Cause I can go on shitposting and busting you up all night.

EDIT

In No Country For Old Men when Llewelyn finally gets wise to the tracker, why didn't he just throw it in the toilet tank or smash it? The way the scene plays, he wants to draw his hunter out and kill him with the sawed off but wouldn't the first thing to do to be disabling the tracking device?

If I were trying to disappear in this modern age and was travelling with a ton of cash, first thing I'd do is drown my laptop, my cell phone and just make my way peeling off hundreds for help or whatever I needed. He was smart in the first hotel room with the air ducts but once he found the tracker why not toss it in a river or some poo poo?

Re watching it, it plays out that it's already too late but still.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Jun 19, 2022

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

BiggerBoat posted:

He was smart in the first hotel room with the air ducts but once he found the tracker why not toss it in a river or some poo poo?
Go to a gas station and throw it in someone else's car, duh

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Feed it to a pig, paint a #3 on it, and set it free.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Pixar just dropped and punted the ball with Lightyear. Yeah we know it's a movie about the toy, but I think more people expected it to be like Toy Story: heartfelt moments and comedy, and yeah there can be serious moments, but a feel-good movie. Zurg? Cool. gently caress, bring in the Star Command aliens and robot from the show! Instead it's Evil Buzz from the future who stole some armor he found and....why. Just why.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Turns out Andy had poo poo taste in movies.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Is the Buzz movie just a straight space adventure with no commentary on the commercial nature of children's media? Does Buzz have an epiphany where he realises he's not a space ranger but a cynical toyetic marketing decision designed to sell bedspreads and videogame guides?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I thought Zurg was suppose to be Buzz's father though, that's what he says in one of the Toy Story movies.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

At the end of Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny, JB says it was their music that defeated Beelzeboss, but it wasn't.
It was the reflection of the demon's own energy projectile against the guitar that defeats him.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

The Mighty Moltres posted:

At the end of Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny, JB says it was their music that defeated Beelzeboss, but it wasn't.
It was the reflection of the demon's own energy projectile against the guitar that defeats him.

The guitar deflected it because it was filled with their righteous jams though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Panfilo posted:

I thought Zurg was suppose to be Buzz's father though, that's what he says in one of the Toy Story movies.

That specific Zurg toy was the father of that specific Buzz toy.