Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't know if it's good enough to be 'The Best' but Starship Troopers Extermination and Friday the 13th is pretty fun too. Oh and also all the Lego games too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

That game rules too

Loved smashing bricks on people's heads

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Ghostbusters game was a better third movie than the actual third movie.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Are we specifically referring to licensed games based on movie or is stuff like Arkham Asylum in the running?

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Having Spotify thru PS4 made Mad Max just so much more incredible for me. Blasting heavy metal as I’m tearing rear end through the wasteland and messin up all sorts of enemies and their convoys.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

verbal enema posted:

That game rules too

Loved smashing bricks on people's heads

Oh man it was awesome. When it was rereleased on the ps4 my friend and I played through it again and while it has some rough points, still just such a great fighting system.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

YggiDee posted:

Are we specifically referring to licensed games based on movie or is stuff like Arkham Asylum in the running?

I was just thinking movie stuff, but even still there were a lot more good ones than I realized.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

YggiDee posted:

Yeah, we kinda have to draw a line between movie games and franchise games. The “movie game” formula is fundamentally flawed, if you try to tell the same story you end up totally destroying the pacing by padding it out to game length with endless drawn out mob slaughter segments. There’s been maybe one of these ever that was worth a drat (Goldeneye)

Whereas if you can write an original story more suited to a game and just target the franchise’s tone and flavor, you can come up with something really unique and special. The Riddick game is a movie tie-in in the thinnest, most ignorable way possible (it’s presented as a reminiscence he’s having during a quiet moment in the movie) and the Batman games are not based on specific movies at all

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Morpheus posted:

Oh man it was awesome. When it was rereleased on the ps4 my friend and I played through it again and while it has some rough points, still just such a great fighting system.

Oh gently caress it's on ps4? poo poo yeah!!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Spider-Man 3 for the PS2 has the best Black Suit mechanics in any Spidey game ever.

The game is balanced so that combat is slightly weighted against you when you're regular Red Suit, encouraging you to use the symbiote for the damage/speed/defense boost. But the longer you wear the Black Suit and the more damage you take, the more the symbiote starts to take you over, and you start getting tunnel vision as the black goo grows in from the edges of the screen. If it covers the whole screen, game over, but you can just hit the suit change button to go back to Red... the first few times. After that, you have to hit a face button, then two, then three, then more, the QTE and the animation of Spidey suppressing the suit getting longer each time, leaving you more and more open to getting bludgeoned by an enemy and having to start over, all while the tunnel vision countdown continues.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Byzantine posted:

Spider-Man 3 for the PS2 has the best Black Suit mechanics in any Spidey game ever.

The game is balanced so that combat is slightly weighted against you when you're regular Red Suit, encouraging you to use the symbiote for the damage/speed/defense boost. But the longer you wear the Black Suit and the more damage you take, the more the symbiote starts to take you over, and you start getting tunnel vision as the black goo grows in from the edges of the screen. If it covers the whole screen, game over, but you can just hit the suit change button to go back to Red... the first few times. After that, you have to hit a face button, then two, then three, then more, the QTE and the animation of Spidey suppressing the suit getting longer each time, leaving you more and more open to getting bludgeoned by an enemy and having to start over, all while the tunnel vision countdown continues.

I never played that one, but that sounds cool. I know the upcoming PS5 Spider-Man 2 is heading into symbiote country but I hadn't thought about gameplay mechanics, I wonder if they'll try going for something along those lines.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I never played that one, but that sounds cool. I know the upcoming PS5 Spider-Man 2 is heading into symbiote country but I hadn't thought about gameplay mechanics, I wonder if they'll try going for something along those lines.

It's kind of baffling because that was the era where they were still making PS2 games but all the focus was on the next-gen, so the PS3/360 releases don't have that mechanic. Some absolute madlad decided to make the perfect Venom gameplay for the B-side movie tie-in, and then I guess they got abducted by aliens or something because it's never appeared again.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Byzantine posted:

It's kind of baffling because that was the era where they were still making PS2 games but all the focus was on the next-gen, so the PS3/360 releases don't have that mechanic. Some absolute madlad decided to make the perfect Venom gameplay for the B-side movie tie-in, and then I guess they got abducted by aliens or something because it's never appeared again.

Oh wow, that's wild, apparently different developers even. I've gotten used to cross-gen releases basically just being scaled versions of the same thing, that feels so bizarre anymore.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh wow, that's wild, apparently different developers even. I've gotten used to cross-gen releases basically just being scaled versions of the same thing, that feels so bizarre anymore.

Splinter Cell: Double Agent is wildly different in the Gen-6 version (PS2, etc) and arguably the better one overall.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
For Cthulhoid games, Dream Cycle is pretty drat neat.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

haveblue posted:

Yeah, we kinda have to draw a line between movie games and franchise games. The “movie game” formula is fundamentally flawed, if you try to tell the same story you end up totally destroying the pacing by padding it out to game length with endless drawn out mob slaughter segments. There’s been maybe one of these ever that was worth a drat (Goldeneye)

verbal enema posted:

Oh gently caress it's on ps4? poo poo yeah!!

Does not work on ps5 unfortunately

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
The Mad Max game is as good an entry in the franchise as Fury Road was.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

I don't understand how emulation works so I've never been able to play this one :(

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm sure licensing hell will prevent Rockstar from putting it on Steam. What I am saying though is that they should just take the gameplay wholesale and make a The Warriors that is just legally different enough to avoid copyright

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Leal posted:

I'm sure licensing hell will prevent Rockstar from putting it on Steam. What I am saying though is that they should just take the gameplay wholesale and make a The Warriors that is just legally different enough to avoid copyright

"Worriers come out to play-aaaay"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Mad Max game apparently has some fun background stuff with Max admitting no one's actually sure exactly what happened to end the world, because presumably near everyone in a position to witness major events was probably among the first to get killed. His best guesses are that it seemed to be pretty much everything at once; nuclear exchange, climate collapse, there's still super-plagues going around in some places, the oceans dried up for some reason, and most everyone's been too busy trying to survive or establishing their feudal fiefdoms to keep track of the specifics.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Mad Max game apparently has some fun background stuff with Max admitting no one's actually sure exactly what happened to end the world, because presumably near everyone in a position to witness major events was probably among the first to get killed. His best guesses are that it seemed to be pretty much everything at once; nuclear exchange, climate collapse, there's still super-plagues going around in some places, the oceans dried up for some reason, and most everyone's been too busy trying to survive or establishing their feudal fiefdoms to keep track of the specifics.

I love the collectible that's an advertisement for a Mad Max themed bike getaway holiday thing and Max is just like "What the gently caress?"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
REMNANT 2:

Prey:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Aim the large man as you push him so that he lands on the 5 people, killing all 6.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The train is still a few hours out from hitting them, so I go grab a bite to eat then come back that evening to gently shoo the crowd away from the model train track. I swear, jumping all the way to attempted murder is a bit of an overreaction

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Sentient Data posted:

The train is still a few hours out from hitting them, so I go grab a bite to eat then come back that evening to gently shoo the crowd away from the model train track. I swear, jumping all the way to attempted murder is a bit of an overreaction

It's southern rail so they have days.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They do a really good job of muddying the waters. It was close enough that Max seems to have lived through the whole thing as an adult, but also long enough ago for people to have forgotten what planes are for. It's not really important enough for anybody to care.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All of the Mad Max stories have that feel of myths sliced out of time immemorial, they aren't even consistent with each other

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

haveblue posted:

All of the Mad Max stories have that feel of myths sliced out of time immemorial, they aren't even consistent with each other

yeah I mean technically the first movie takes place while society is still mid-collapse, which REALLY does not work with any of the other movies at all. best explanation I’ve heard is that Mad Max is a mythical figure and the movies are people telling stories about him but I don’t think that’s anything George Miller has thought about too hard tbh

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

codenameFANGIO posted:

yeah I mean technically the first movie takes place while society is still mid-collapse, which REALLY does not work with any of the other movies at all. best explanation I’ve heard is that Mad Max is a mythical figure and the movies are people telling stories about him but I don’t think that’s anything George Miller has thought about too hard tbh

Mad Max 1 is mostly filmed in the highway stretch between Melbourne (major urban metropolis) and Geelong (smaller industrial city in the same state). Even without looking it up I recognised the area as local to me.

This is because after literal decades, it still looks pretty much the same. I can easily imagine it looking pretty much the same post-apocalypse too.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It's the track I wish Fallout would start taking, where the timeline is vague and contradictory because all the nerds who care about updating the wiki with strict chronology got dusted when the world ended.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Byzantine posted:

It's the track I wish Fallout would start taking, where the timeline is vague and contradictory because all the nerds who care about updating the wiki with strict chronology got dusted when the world ended.

Bethesda's take on Fallout is definitely without consideration to the established canon, so

I'm not still bitter about Van Buren

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

credburn posted:

Bethesda's take on Fallout is definitely without consideration to the established canon, so

Man, the established canon included Tactics and Bawls, and all four Interplay games contradict each other in chronology and geography.

"rahh why didn't anybody in lost hills take the vault dweller aside and tell them about the associated troops in west virginia that were wiped out sixty years prior aargh BETHESDA you screwed up my timeline!" - note found on a terminal next to a skeleton

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

this matches all four movies' timelines. Mad Max 1 the world is in decline and society is fraying at the edges. Mad Max 2 the world has collapsed due to endless oil wars. Mad Max 3 there's now references to nuclear devastation ("What's a little fallout, eh?"). Mad Max 4 some sort of traumatic world event has hosed the climate and oceans have receded.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

credburn posted:

Please play Fallout 76. I want to see your reactions between them being faithful to the Battle of Blair Mountain in contrast to fallout lore.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Fallout 1 is the only good Fallout and it's actually kind of not that great.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Der-Wreck posted:

Having Spotify thru PS4 made Mad Max just so much more incredible for me. Blasting heavy metal as I’m tearing rear end through the wasteland and messin up all sorts of enemies and their convoys.

You just described Brütal Legend :v:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
30% of brutal legend, which everyone was real mad about

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

credburn posted:

Fallout 1 is the only good Fallout and it's actually kind of not that great.

There are degrees of "kind of" in which I bury the entire medium of videogames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

codenameFANGIO posted:

There’s 3 timelines depending on whether Max Max defeated Immortan Joe as a child, as an adult, or failed.