Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

The Sex Cannon posted:

:siren:Hey nerds!:siren:

SRM and I are taping episode 3 of the 40k Badcast tonight, so let us know if you want us to talk about something! Anything! We don't give one single poo poo!

How about what changes you guys would like to see in 8th ed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Do all the above, but in your Ork impressions.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

TheChirurgeon posted:

for moola just shake a bag of chicken bones into the microphone

Hey now, Moola isn't my favorite poster in the thread but he sure isn't Hollismason.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

The Sex Cannon posted:

SRM and I are taping episode 3 of the 40k Badcast tonight, so let us know if you want us to talk about something! Anything! We don't give one single poo poo!

I loved the fluff divers section y'all did last episode.

Would love to request something on the Necrons.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

The Sex Cannon posted:

Narrative gaming, naming & giving backstory to units, 40k rogue trader type poo poo.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

berzerkmonkey posted:

How about what changes you guys would like to see in 8th ed.

This is a great suggestion. After reading some of the thread today, I'd love to also talk about whether or not it's a good time to get into the hobby.

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

An entire episode where you RP people in this thread arguing over Age of Emperor stuff. Make sure to do funny voices!

Well, pudding, make sure you listen to the episode, because we'll have something for that at the end!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

The Sex Cannon posted:

The pathology of "You can't like what I don't like" and reciprocal defensiveness in niche communities would be interesting. Failing that, the un-loveliness of the headdress on the Emissary of Ynnead

TheChirurgeon posted:

A de-tuned radio.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
In all seriousness, your thoughts on Gathering Storm and what direction it's steering 40k would be neat. As well as the fanfiction DIY fluff stuff mango sentinel suggested.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Sex Cannon posted:

Talk about the best Gundam models to use as stand-ins in the various 40k armies.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

The Sex Cannon posted:

Playing 30k armies in 40k and the current state of 40k forgeworld units being used in 40k armies. Would be interesting to learn about that state of that.

Another topic that would be fun- how to prevent death spirals inside campaigns. Flip side of this, how to give meaningful rewards during campaigns that don't snowball into a power spiral

Finally, how handsome a couple forums poster BULBASAUR and Lovely Joe Stalin are IRL

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

BULBASAUR posted:

Playing 30k armies in 40k and the current state of 40k forgeworld units being used in 40k armies. Would be interesting to learn about that state of that.

Dittoing this as well. I actually sparked an argument amongst a bunch of my customers by bringing up the new IA and being able to use 30k Mechanicum bots in 40k. Lot of fertile ground for discussion there.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

BULBASAUR posted:

Another topic that would be fun- how to prevent death spirals inside campaigns. Flip side of this, how to give meaningful rewards during campaigns that don't snowball into a power spiral

Finally, how handsome a couple forums poster BULBASAUR and Lovely Joe Stalin are IRL

30k in 40k would be a great question for SRM to field as he has both.

I'd need to see proof of handsomeness before I say anything about it.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

The Sex Cannon posted:

How it's plenty possible to have badass units with powerful options and rules without totally breaking the game with Apocalypse-level bullshit like D weapons and SHVs. Case in point: Leviathan Dreadnought.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The unceasing motion of his face is something of a problem. However, if you pay close enough attention I think you will find that my face is fantastic.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Here's a picture of Bulbasaur

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

How it's plenty possible to have badass units with powerful options and rules without totally breaking the game with Apocalypse-level bullshit like D weapons and SHVs. Case in point: Leviathan Dreadnought.

Wait, does 30k not have a fuckton of super-heavy vehicles now? I wasn't under the impression that the Mastodon was a 40k release, and it has way more knights

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

Wait, does 30k not have a fuckton of super-heavy vehicles now? I wasn't under the impression that the Mastodon was a 40k release, and it has way more knights

It does! 30k has a ton of absolutely ridiculous units. One of my HQ choices has a dedicated transport that is a thunderhawk with void shields.

The entire power level of the game is tweaked upwards though, so this levels out really.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

please use wooden wind chimes they are far more accurate thank you :)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sex Cannon posted:

30k in 40k would be a great question for SRM to field as he has both.

I'd need to see proof of handsomeness before I say anything about it.

I would love to cover this but I need more experience with 30k in 40k (and frankly 30k in general) before I could talk about it with any authority. I plan on talking about a 30k game I played recently in the episode tho.

mango sentinel posted:

Narrative gaming, naming & giving backstory to units, 40k rogue trader type poo poo.
This is good poo poo.

BULBASAUR posted:

I think that would be a good topic if we talked about campaigns - definitely something worth considering!

As for most handsome, there's surprisingly stiff competition

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Moola posted:

please use wooden wind chimes they are far more accurate thank you :)

Is it true that you can play your ribcage like a xylophone, or is that just another stereotype perpetuated by fleshies?

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 26, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

TTerrible posted:

It does! 30k has a ton of absolutely ridiculous units. One of my HQ choices has a dedicated transport that is a thunderhawk with void shields.

The entire power level of the game is tweaked upwards though, so this levels out really.

this doesn't really make for as compelling a selling point as you think it does

SRM posted:

I would love to cover this but I need more experience with 30k in 40k (and frankly 30k in general) before I could talk about it with any authority. I plan on talking about a 30k game I played recently in the episode tho.

This is good poo poo.

I think that would be a good topic if we talked about campaigns - definitely something worth considering!

Oh man, I could go on for hours about this poo poo. Running campaigns is a huge undertaking and it is incredibly difficult to balance meaningful win bonuses against the prospect of creating a failure cascade.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, there are a lot, but most are Lords of War and you can’t take them below 2000 points. They also are restricted to being 25% of your army. Some of the factions like Solar Auxilia have super heavy tanks in their Heavy Support slots, but those armies are built around it. That crazy admech death ray thing and the mastodon won’t ever get played in games below 3000.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

30k has built-in limits on the percentage of your army that can be a Lord of War, bonus points for hurting/killing certain LoW units, and offers other neat things in the LoW slot like Primarchs. Like yeah you can do Rogal Dorn in a Thunderhawk but at most normal points levels that's an insane choice. Even at 3000 points that would probably be nearly half your army (assuming you give him a bodyguard) just hanging in reserves.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

berzerkmonkey posted:

Is it true that you can play your ribcage like a xylophone, or is that just another stereotype perpetuated by fleshies?

wow

insensitive doesn't begin to describe this post

mods????

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

BULBASAUR posted:

Too twinkie for me.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

SRM posted:

I have that effect on all the guys.

LingcodKilla posted:

Too twinkie for me.

Excuse me, I am quite clearly a bear.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

Down the road you should interview me about the handsomeness levels in 30k gaming. We can rate the different communities. For example the Aussies have nice tans, but the Swedes have the nicest jawlines.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

BULBASAUR posted:

Yeah, there are a lot, but most are Lords of War and you can’t take them below 2000 points. They also are restricted to being 25% of your army. Some of the factions like Solar Auxilia have super heavy tanks in their Heavy Support slots, but those armies are built around it. That crazy admech death ray thing and the mastodon won’t ever get played in games below 3000.

That's cool. 40k needs points-value gating on some units, like Lords of War.

Still not going to play a game that is basically a slightly better 40k, only twice as expensive, though

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

The Sex Cannon posted:

This is a great suggestion. After reading some of the thread today, I'd love to also talk about whether or not it's a good time to get into the hobby.

Set a timer on your wish-listing. Nerds can go on and on about what would be "totally awesome" for the next edition and after a while it get really tiresome.

For new content. How about painting? SRM does a gently caress ton of it, so talk about it. Preferred techniques, products, how to keep motivated, batch painting yes or no. Whatever.

E: Alternatively throw to a prerecorded segment where TheChirurgeon discusses his true feelings about anything GW does.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 26, 2017

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If you do that, make sure to call out the weirdos who paint on the sprue. That is some perversity.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
prime on sprue, remove, paint, then assemble

anything else is heresy

lazy heresy

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

anything else is heresy

lazy heresy

This is mental sickness.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

panascope posted:

This is mental sickness.

mental sickness that produces beautiful results

seriously lol if the area between your mans' bolters and chest is unpainted

Except on vehicles. Assemble, then paint vehicles

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

Set a timer on your wish-listing. Nerds can go on and on about what would be "totally awesome" for the next edition and after a while it get really tiresome.
True, but wishlisting and actually providing useful thoughts on what can be changed are two different things.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

this doesn't really make for as compelling a selling point as you think it does

I wasn't trying to sell it, just confirming that yes there are lots of big stompy units.

panascope posted:

This is mental sickness.

Yeah wtf how do you remove mould lines properly.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

TTerrible posted:

I wasn't trying to sell it, just confirming that yes there are lots of big stompy units.

Yeah wtf how do you remove mould lines properly.

you just shave them down afterwards, then retouch the primer as needed, or handle them on sprue

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Indolent Bastard posted:

E: Alternatively throw to a prerecorded segment where TheChirurgeon discusses his true feelings about anything GW does.
Come on man, no need to be rude.

TheChirurgeon posted:

anything else is heresy

lazy heresy
This though, this I will not stand for.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

TheChirurgeon posted:

anything else is heresy

lazy heresy

Wouldn't the primer gently caress up plastic glue?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Indolent Bastard posted:

Lol sorry I hurt your feelings with my posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Wouldn't the primer gently caress up plastic glue?

Yeah, primer weakens the bond.

• Locked thread