Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Do we know Eraserhead wasn't there though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Anshu posted:

I mean, Eri did successfully rewind Mirio offscreen...

Wish someone's Quirk was just the infinite power and possibility that comes from not being in a panel. When you're not on-screen you can do anything!

'Hi guys it's me Hatsune Mei! Look at this Robo All Might I made! Also Momo can make Mythril now'

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The only way to make this interesting is if he is doing something absolutely insane like he rewinds himself to a baby because what kind of hero would kill a baby.

As is it's just a fancy senzu bean in a fight that didn't need to happen thats already going on too long.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 27, 2022

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The only way to make this interesting is if he is doing something absolutely insane like he rewinds himself to a baby because what kind of hero would kill a baby.

This would actually rule, and Hawks totally would.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

352: Shoto vs. Toya concludes.
353: We get somewhat of a breather chapter. News of Dabi's defeat spreads across Japan. We get a preview of the various duels in the pipeline. Dabi's body begins ticking. AFO taunts Endeavor.
354: Hawks & Endeavor battle AFO. AFO shocks Endeavor by revealing that he took in Toya, then critically wounds him. Jiro & Tokoyami show up and deflect what would've been a killing blow on Hawks.
355: Endeavor reels on the ground. AFO's quirk ghosts begin revolting. Jiro, Tokoyami, and Hawks crack AFO's mask with a combo attack.
356: Tokoyami shatters AFO's mask with Ragnarok. AFO regains control, reassembles his mask, and rips off Endeavor's arm. Endeavor KOs AFO into the ground via Fire Punch.
357: Endeavor grabs AFO and drags him through the forest, before incinerating him with Prominence Burn. While dying, AFO threatens a "sacrificial moment".

I don't think this fight could've been paced any faster, really. 4 (and a half, if you count 353) chapters for one of the major antagonists seems about right.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Scholtz posted:

Do we know Eraserhead wasn't there though?

He was in the room when Mirio asked. Eri looks at him and he nods. He was absolutely in on it.

But more to the point, All for One doesn't "train" quirks so even if Eri figured out how to control it, I doubt he could.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I think it's cool endeavour might just straight up kill afo here. Like I know hawks did it to twice but it's rare to see in a superhero comic

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Shere posted:

He was in the room when Mirio asked. Eri looks at him and he nods. He was absolutely in on it.

But more to the point, All for One doesn't "train" quirks so even if Eri figured out how to control it, I doubt he could.

I'm pretty sure AFO trains quirks, or at least puts a lot of thought into their strengths and weaknesses and thinking of how they can be used, which is similar. We had his whole internal monologue in the Stars and Stripes fight where he was puzzling out the limitations of her quirk and how to get around it; there's no reason why he wouldn't try doing the same with Rewind.

His comment on Jeanist's quirk was that the quirk was too complicated for how impatient Shigaraki was, not himself.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kanos posted:

[...] or at least puts a lot of thought into their strengths and weaknesses and thinking of how they can be used, [...] where he was puzzling out the limitations of her quirk and how to get around it;

A Quirk nerd, huh? That makes two in the character cast :)

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Kanos posted:

His comment on Jeanist's quirk was that the quirk was too complicated for how impatient Shigaraki was, not himself.

It's great because as soon as Shigaraki got All For One, he instantly intuited how all his quirks work and even started combining them in novel ways.

What a lovely teacher who doesn't believe in his student.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

oh jay posted:

It's great because as soon as Shigaraki got All For One, he instantly intuited how all his quirks work and even started combining them in novel ways.

What a lovely teacher who doesn't believe in his student.

In AFO's defense here, Shigaraki at the time of Kamino really was an angry manchild with no patience who regularly threw baby tantrums if things didn't go exactly the way he wanted. He only stopped being that way once everything fell apart.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Also, let's not forget the iconic scene of Shigaraki completely whiffing his first super jump and faceplanting into the dirt. So he's not completely perfect at using them.

Imagine how embarrassing it would be if he tried to use Jeanists quirk in the final battle and accidentally ripped his own pants off. I understand AfO not wanting to risk it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Nephthys posted:

Imagine how embarrassing it would be if he tried to use Jeanists quirk in the final battle and accidentally ripped his own pants off.

Missed opportunity.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://readtcbscans.com/chapters/2268/my-hero-academia-chapter-358

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
don't really like how Shiggy's just full-on generic anime villain now and babbling about becoming god

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

"I'm going to defeat you with the power of self-reflection. And these guns I found."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
"i will become god of the new dark world and all will be equal in oppression" blah blah blah shut the gently caress up i hate afo so much

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
That's afo talking, basically.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

You know what this scene reminds me of?

It reminds me of a scene where you have two actors, and one of them is phoning it in, and the other one is trying really hard. Bakugo is actually trying to have a fulfilling moment here while Shigaraki is babbling like a discount JRPG villain.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I appreciate Bakugou going full 90s edgy superhero and just strapping a million guns to himself.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Fabricated posted:

That's afo talking, basically.

Someone even says as much lol

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love Bakugo's new form

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Bakugo to the support class

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_urZ5KDPec

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

I love Bakugo's new form

:hmmyes:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I love Bakugo's new form

lol this is the exact thing I was thinking of this chapter. He maybe even seems to have done the thing where it sheds it so he can move again.

I really don't give a poo poo about All for One or Shigaraki anymore, but this chapter at least had some good stuff in it.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Greatest Hero BJ Man never stops being funny.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The exasperated "how is that not a quirk?!" captures the calvinball nature of the fight, where Shigaraki can just waggle his (endless) fingers and say "it's just not". Real "well I have a laser-proof forcefield!" energy from the kid on the playground who never admits defeat.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
oh yeah speaking of those they contrived this whole arena to take decay off the board and give minor characters a chance against shiggy until deku shows up, and immediately shiggy goes "LOL, i have a massive AOE non-quirk anyways" and now none of the decay countermeasures we spent a whole chapter detailling matter because shiggy's just flying around throwing hands at people

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Decay is still an issue because if Monoma/Aizawa get messed up at all, all of those hands can presumably turn everything they're touching to dust.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I'm mainly wondering what the point of showing us all the support work was if it was gonna immediately not matter. Like why not skip right to the aizawa thing.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
How does Shigaraki's body work now anyways? Does he weigh thousands of pounds with millions of hands just condensed inside him at all times?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fabricated posted:

Decay is still an issue because if Monoma/Aizawa get messed up at all, all of those hands can presumably turn everything they're touching to dust.

It's not entirely clear to me why he isn't just shooting a giant wall of absolutely-definitely-not-a-quirk fingers at Monoma/Aizawa. All of the other heroes are extremely occupied trying not to die, and it's not like he even needs to actually kill Monoma/Aizawa, he just needs to disrupt them to instantly win.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Kanos posted:

It's not entirely clear to me why he isn't just shooting a giant wall of absolutely-definitely-not-a-quirk fingers at Monoma/Aizawa. All of the other heroes are extremely occupied trying not to die, and it's not like he even needs to actually kill Monoma/Aizawa, he just needs to disrupt them to instantly win.

Literally only needs to make Monoma blink once. Or smash the floor to throw up enough dust to block his vision.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Staltran posted:

Literally only needs to make Monoma blink once. Or smash the floor to throw up enough dust to block his vision.

Yeah, the comic really hosed up by giving Shigaraki all these bonkers abilities. No good way to reasonably do a fight scene with them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he does give off the same vibes as madara or that thor quincy from the bleach endgame

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kanos posted:

Monoma and Aizawa are not actually there, also the Fingers are part of his body so if they are being looked at it turns off his quirk.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Monoma and Aizawa are not actually there, also the Fingers are part of his body so if they are being looked at it turns off his quirk.

How is that possible? Aizawa's quirk requires direct line of sight, and the battle is taking place in a floating thunderdome arena far above the ground. Monoma and Aizawa have to be physically present in said arena to see and thus dequirk Shigaraki.

If they're close enough to de-quirk the fingers, they're close enough for Shigaraki to attack them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kanos posted:

How is that possible? Aizawa's quirk requires direct line of sight, and the battle is taking place in a floating thunderdome arena far above the ground. Monoma and Aizawa have to be physically present in said arena to see and thus dequirk Shigaraki.

If they're close enough to de-quirk the fingers, they're close enough for Shigaraki to attack them.

They are outside the barrier.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-358/chapter/24848?action=read
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013480

I've had an inkling that we were going full One Punch Man, but he actually said it out loud this chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If Mumen Rider rides shows and defeats AFO thanks to Vestige Bullshit, I will retract everything bad I've ever said about them.