Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nah, it just takes a bit of weaning to get out of the feedback cycle. I played Dota1/2 for ages, they're awful games, and yet there I was mashing the next game button since I didn't think to play other titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Serephina posted:

Nah, it just takes a bit of weaning to get out of the feedback cycle. I played Dota1/2 for ages, they're awful games, and yet there I was mashing the next game button since I didn't think to play other titles.

Wow you managed to break the dota cycle

I guess that means you can play an assassins creed game without getting mad at how loving boring it is

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Wow you managed to break the dota cycle

I guess that means you can play an assassins creed game without getting mad at how loving boring it is

I don't think anyone can do that.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Duck and Cover posted:

I don't really think those games qualify as the infancy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_strategy

Dune 2 is the beginning of the form of RTS that became popular. When we say RTS we mean either the games that inherited from Dune 2 or we mean literally every strategy game that runs in real time. I'm using the former definition. And that genre has barely evolved beyond where it started.

Also MOBAs are only the natural evolution of the Warcraft 3 style RTS. Every time someone talks about heroes in an RTS I just shake my head because we already went down that path and it leads to the obvious conclusion that while playing a hero in the context of an RTS battle is pretty awesome, it's much better if you're not the one playing the RTS at the same time. MOBAs already have a skillcap higher than humans can ever achieve so why would they benefit from adding an army to control as well? I could see maybe moving the progression systems from kills and shopping to base building and harvesting, but controlling an army and a hero is dumb when just one of those is more than anyone can handle perfectly.

I've been looking at some discussions surrounding Frost Giant and their (well in to the) future planned RTS and the vast majority of the opinions are very bad.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok, but what if we made it a really bad brawler and rts at the same time that featured Jack Black?

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I think one of the reasons for RTSes falling out of favor is that it's very hard to put addicting progression systems/"RPG elements" on top of them.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
No it's because they can't sell them on consoles.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
I would say the RTE evolved into the Paradox grand strategy type games. Crusader Kings is a real time game in which you plan a strategy for building an empire and waging war. It's just that this evolution of strategy games is pretty niche due to the complexity of the game. Early RTSs in comparison are basically base building, then send your army across the map.

Also yeah, consoles. Nobody wants to play an rts on a console because then you would have to use a controller instead of a keyboard and mouse.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Real time strategy games are quaint. I'm sure someone out there is still very excited by watching yet another protoss v zerg grudge match but i feel like it got kinda boring kinda quick.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The only fun thing to do in starcraft was grief other people

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Hmm thread deader than starcraft 2 today

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
Are esports still like, a thing?

I went to a few starcraft 2 tournaments a few (oh my god 11) years ago. I really thought that was gonna be the future of games. Then I feel like LoL got bigger, and was really kinda cementing that thing. Now I don't see it anywhere*!

*I'm also in my 30's now and have an actual job so I'm absolutely just old and out of it and don't care anymore.

My favourite thing of these tournaments and esports events was always interviews with the players after a game. Yeah totally let's do a tv interview with the dork 17 year old whose job is to play league of legends for 14 hours a day, I'm sure he's talkative and not an awkward kid at all!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Capital Letdown posted:

Are esports still like, a thing?

I went to a few starcraft 2 tournaments a few (oh my god 11) years ago. I really thought that was gonna be the future of games. Then I feel like LoL got bigger, and was really kinda cementing that thing. Now I don't see it anywhere*!

*I'm also in my 30's now and have an actual job so I'm absolutely just old and out of it and don't care anymore.

My favourite thing of these tournaments and esports events was always interviews with the players after a game. Yeah totally let's do a tv interview with the dork 17 year old whose job is to play league of legends for 14 hours a day, I'm sure he's talkative and not an awkward kid at all!

Esports are huge and only getting huger as a generation of teenagers and young adults come round to the realization of "lol why would i watch golf when i can watch rocket league?".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Esports are huge and only getting huger as a generation of teenagers and young adults come round to the realization of "lol why would i watch golf when i can watch rocket league?".

People do tend to be more interested in watching professionals play something they've actually played themselves. And that's increasingly less physical sports. I blame the whole Calvin and Hobbes experience that recent generations have had where if you don't come into pee-wee sports already knowing exactly what to do you are met with extreme hostility.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

People do tend to be more interested in watching professionals play something they've actually played themselves.

"But how can you sit and watch someone else play a videogame that's stupid??" cried a million armchair quarterbacks and Americas got talent viewers.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
It's too bad Natural-Selection 1/2 never took off. Commanding real-world idiots to go to your waypoints only to get murdered by a single skulk was good times. Best RTSFPS.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

"But how can you sit and watch someone else play a videogame that's stupid??" cried a million armchair quarterbacks and Americas got talent viewers.

This is such a baffling criticism of let's plays and e-sports to me because literally all passive entertainment is watching people more talented than you do a thing you can't do as well, whether that's play a video game, play music, play a sport or pretend to be a superhero.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

e-sports is such a dorky branding

just say you're a professional video game player, or maybe a cyber athlete because that is even more of a lmao

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Willatron posted:

This is such a baffling criticism of let's plays and e-sports to me because literally all passive entertainment is watching people more talented than you do a thing you can't do as well, whether that's play a video game, play music, play a sport or pretend to be a superhero.

Yeah i fully agree but its especially noticeable with videogames because they are kinda in their infancy on a spectator level.

Sure people have been watching quake speedruns for decades but its only very recently with the financial possibilities and prize money on offer that there's a real sense of legitimacy.

I still remember my 53 year old boss being baffled that i was travelling to Birmingham to watch a professional videogame tournament just before telling me what games in the rugby world cup he was looking forward to :allears:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the original 4-color greenscale dot matrix display for the original game boy was kind of a marvel of technology for the time, and i think a lot of people's memories of game boy games looking mushy or muddled comes from the vastly inferior game boy pocket

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Rockman Reserve posted:

the original 4-color greenscale dot matrix display for the original game boy was kind of a marvel of technology for the time, and i think a lot of people's memories of game boy games looking mushy or muddled comes from the vastly inferior game boy pocket

I think you might be wrong about that. I have six gameboys on my shelf right now and the gbp moved to a sharper and more responsive black and white screen. It has way less ghosting.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

I think you might be wrong about that. I have six gameboys on my shelf right now and the gbp moved to a sharper and more responsive black and white screen. It has way less ghosting.

i'm convinced the OG screens degrade over time because when i was a much smaller person i had much better vision and didn't see any ghosting on the original screen and the GBP really bothered my eyes, these days most side-by-side comparisons do skew slightly in the GBP's favor

the donkey kong land games in particular i remember being kind of gorgeous on the original screen and looking kind of pants on a pocket

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

did anybody get the gameboy micro? i don't think i ever saw one of those in person.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Rockman Reserve posted:

i'm convinced the OG screens degrade over time because when i was a much smaller person i had much better vision and didn't see any ghosting on the original screen and the GBP really bothered my eyes, these days most side-by-side comparisons do skew slightly in the GBP's favor

the donkey kong land games in particular i remember being kind of gorgeous on the original screen and looking kind of pants on a pocket

I only had a game boy color, not the original or a pocket, but my recollection is that every game looked like rear end

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

is pepsi ok posted:

did anybody get the gameboy micro? i don't think i ever saw one of those in person.

I got it and it was terrible

Kind of remarkable how small they got it but the screen and buttons are small to the point of being unusable by anyone but a particularly small and sharp eyed child

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Competitive videogames attract the worst loving people.

And yeah, game boy micro was too small to even really use. At least for my eyes.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i kept a game boy micro in my carry on when I flew a bunch for work as a backup, it was alright

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Competitive videogames attract the worst loving people.

I dunno man golf fans and rapists sound worse to me

Woden
May 6, 2006
I had an OG Gameboy and stopped buying action games because they were impossible, you couldn't see poo poo because of the ghosting.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I dunno man golf fans and rapists sound worse to me

Theres probably a lot of overlap

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Theres probably a lot of overlap

Lmao ok dude. Don't get my wrong you arn't crazy with your original statement but i sense that it comes from a place of either misinderstanding or inadequacy.

Like i could equally say single player games are so empty and unsatisfying because I'm just not as excited by the challenge of an AI compared to another person.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I interviewed a whole bunch of British competitive Xbox COD players once and it was a bizarre scene. They all had extremely expensive tricked out gamepads with extra paddles and buttons and were obviously laser accurate through practicing on it 20 hours a day but it baffled me that you’d play competitively at something where there was a demonstrably better input method. Still , one guy was 20 years old and had just bought a house with the money he’d made, so what do I loving know.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

smellmycheese posted:

I interviewed a whole bunch of British competitive Xbox COD players once and it was a bizarre scene. They all had extremely expensive tricked out gamepads with extra paddles and buttons and were obviously laser accurate through practicing on it 20 hours a day but it baffled me that you’d play competitively at something where there was a demonstrably better input method. Still , one guy was 20 years old and had just bought a house with the money he’d made, so what do I loving know.

Competitive CoD is only on console, mouse isn't allowed. The paddles are there so they don't have to move their thumbs off the sticks to hit face buttons.

I don't have anything against the game itself but it's players seem to be more about the look of playing instead of actually improving

Woden
May 6, 2006

smellmycheese posted:

Fighting games are the same, there's even people who want to ban hitboxes instead of learning how to use them.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The uk esports scene is dire for its population, at least it seems so, maybe the cod and fifa scenes bear more fruit

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Agoat posted:

Competitive CoD is only on console, mouse isn't allowed. The paddles are there so they don't have to move their thumbs off the sticks to hit face buttons.

I don't have anything against the game itself but it's players seem to be more about the look of playing instead of actually improving

competitive cod isn't a real esports scene - the cdl is owned by activision-blizzard, so there's nothing organic about it, they're basically paying a bunch of dudes to stream and pretend cod is competitively viable for marketing purposes. the discussions about the "house rules" etc. when trying to do black ops cold war competitive make it pretty clear that a) new game is garbage, b) they have to play it anyway because they're effectively blizzard employees.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
*me missing a 100% shot in xcom 2* "ah yes, percentages"

This thread has helped me realize that xcom 2 is not without some still significant flaws, however we're now years past their release date and have gained more understanding about what makes a good strategy game

So do people think war of the chosen was a prime example of bloat for xcom 2

Alao I scrolled down that xcom 2 post's blank space practically gritting my teeth and was not disappointed in the payoff

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Woden posted:

Fighting games are the same, there's even people who want to ban hitboxes instead of learning how to use them.

Wait how does that work

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

People do tend to be more interested in watching professionals play something they've actually played themselves. And that's increasingly less physical sports. I blame the whole Calvin and Hobbes experience that recent generations have had where if you don't come into pee-wee sports already knowing exactly what to do you are met with extreme hostility.

man I was 5 thirty years ago and that was a thing then, it's only ever gotten worse

loved playing intramural soccer though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Floodixor posted:

Alao I scrolled down that xcom 2 post's blank space practically gritting my teeth and was not disappointed in the payoff

:tipshat: