Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Dragonatrix posted:

Inspiration is not at all the same thing as giving a Fighter carte blanche Advantage on all Charisma checks because they want to be charistmatic but also not useless in combat

Y'all should check out Strike, where you have to invent your own setting but there are multiple viable martial classes and your out-of-combat capabilities are completely divorced from your combat class/role

lifehack: you can use one of your leftover dnd settings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ignite Memories posted:

Y'all should check out Strike, where you have to invent your own setting but there are multiple viable martial classes and your out-of-combat capabilities are completely divorced from your combat class/role

lifehack: you can use one of your leftover dnd settings!

Yes the entire arc of this discussion is that "some poo poo D&D does isn't well thought-out, and sometimes it's done better by a different game, and it tends to involve less work to switch to a game whose improvements over D&D are already written for you rather than you trying to rectify D&D by yourself"

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

Inspiration is not at all the same thing as giving a Fighter carte blanche Advantage on all Charisma checks because they want to be charistmatic but also not useless in combat

He didn't say that, he said "Give him advantage on his +0 persuasion roll when he gets really into it." Getting really into it sure sounds like "otherwise portraying your
character in a compelling way" to me, as a DM that wants his players to have fun.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Delete the charisma score and social skills and move on

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What are the good lv 1 paladin spells, btw? I finally got to play another ToA session and Bolf Grudger leveled up

i'm using maul + great weapon fighting, so I figured Divine Favor would be good, and then.. what, thunderous smite or compelled duel for some control?

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 23, 2018

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Libertad! posted:

TL;DR 1 Rogue dip with levels in a class with multiple attacks, such as Barbarian, Fighter (Battle Master), or Monk (Open Hand). Or levels in straight Bard.

Thank you. And thank you for the link to the handbook. I've forgotten the specific level (either 4 or 5, it's part of an anthology series of one-shots running whenever the full group cannot make the game), but Rouge 01/Fighter 03 or 4 should be relatively viable without much trouble, right? Because one of the problems I run into when building characters with optimization and gimmicks in mind is that I'm always way under powered compared to where the rest of the party ends up, meaning I drag the group down. I'm hoping that this build can avoid that. (Ask me about having a real fun Chaos Mage using Wild Magic features only for my spell slots to all be really situational buffs/social deals at low levels so I can't chain Tides of Chaos at all.)

Gharbad the Weak posted:

If you don't know to take levels in bard or rogue to make a barehanded grappler then maybe put in an iota of effort you apparent fuckin' simpleton, you literal plebeian

Thank you. I appreciate this.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes the entire arc of this discussion is that "some poo poo D&D does isn't well thought-out, and sometimes it's done better by a different game, and it tends to involve less work to switch to a game whose improvements over D&D are already written for you rather than you trying to rectify D&D by yourself"

We must imagine Sisyphus is happy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mastershakeman posted:

Delete the charisma score and social skills and move on

Ignore the skill system entirely, allow automatic success when reasonable or when the player adequately describes the steps they take accomplish the desired objective, and promote the aesthetic that player action trumps rolls.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baby T. Love posted:

He didn't say that, he said "Give him advantage on his +0 persuasion roll when he gets really into it." Getting really into it sure sounds like "otherwise portraying your
character in a compelling way" to me, as a DM that wants his players to have fun.
Same question:

Elfgames posted:

What happens if you have a player who's playing a bard who in backstory is just as charismatic as your "fixed" fighter only he has the stats to back it up? do you give him advantage for when he gets into it? What if the guy playing the "charismatic" fighter isn't a good roleplayer but he wants to play someone more eloquent than himself?
Same problem. Do you scale up the difficulties to match the bard also getting advantage, meaning the fighter has red queen's raced back to where he started? Do you not scale up, meaning the fighter is still doing less good than the bard but the bard now auto succeeds? Or do you scale up the bard's DCs but not the fighter, meaning the bard loses much of the value of the points they invested in charisma?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gradenko_2000 posted:

Ignore the skill system entirely, allow automatic success when reasonable or when the player adequately describes the steps they take accomplish the desired objective, and promote the aesthetic that player action trumps rolls.

Works for me. Either have them roleplay it out or if they aren't comfortable with that just describe the steps like you said. Problem solved

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

gradenko_2000 posted:

I also think they shouldn't succeed if they aren't like, specific about it. It's awkward to insert persuasion rolls into conversation but to me it's also awkward to roll investigation instead of saying "I look under the bed". If I say there's a bed and decide there's a key under it, I want you to figure out to look under it, not click the "loot room" button. (Obviously I won't make it so they can't proceed without thinking of it, that's separate.)

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Its a double edged sword, frankly. Part of the point of skills like Investigation and Perception is to notice the bed is a little off-kilter, and there's a shimmering glint from underneath it. If the party is proactive and takes the initiative they should be rewarded, because you don't need to roll investigation if you already are looking where you need to be. However, general exploration should be reinforced, because otherwise players will get frustrated when they were arbitrarily told they didn't succeed.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Splicer posted:

Same question:

Same problem. Do you scale up the difficulties to match the bard also getting advantage, meaning the fighter has red queen's raced back to where he started? Do you not scale up, meaning the fighter is still doing less good than the bard but the bard now auto succeeds? Or do you scale up the bard's DCs but not the fighter, meaning the bard loses much of the value of the points they invested in charisma?

Our initial problem was that we can't make a charismatic fighter. The Inspiration rule can solve that problem. This separate problem of "I have a player that, as a fighter, is upset that they can't be as effective as the bard whose specialty in the RPG is being charismatic, despite the Inspiration system allowing them to roleplay as a relatively charismatic person" is one you'd have to solve yourself at the table, as it seems like an issue with the players not reconciling their conflicting interests. I don't think the rulebook can be expected to find a way to fix that kind of problem.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Real thing that happened:

"I look at the lake."

"It's clear all the way to the bottom."

"Ok, I go into the lake."

"All right, you're attacked by (some number over 100) piranhas."

"You didn't say there were piranhas in the lake!"

"Ah, you said you looked AT the lake, not IN the lake!"

So I'm generally on the side that general perception checks should give you useful information, even if the player is not specific. But, no system can defend against the bad gm.

Edit: Using inspiration to compensate for the fighter's mechanical weakness that they will be less capable when they focus on charisma removes the, what I assume is, primary goal of inspiration, which is a reward mechanism. It doesn't solve the problem, and it's either used consistently (which means it's not really a reward but expected, and will possibly create bad feelings when NOT given out), or inconsistently (now the ____ class wants inspiration on ______ checks, and claims favoritism otherwise). It also means that this fighter doesn't have a way to be rewarded for good roleplay beyond the mechanical crutch inspiration is being used as, unless you create some other system specific to the fighter.

Or the game could make charisma potentially useful to core fighter elements and everything else works as intended.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 23, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baby T. Love posted:

Our initial problem was that we can't make a charismatic fighter. The Inspiration rule can solve that problem. This separate problem of "I have a player that, as a fighter, is upset that they can't be as effective as the bard whose specialty in the RPG is being charismatic, despite the Inspiration system allowing them to roleplay as a relatively charismatic person" is one you'd have to solve yourself at the table, as it seems like an issue with the players not reconciling their conflicting interests. I don't think the rulebook can be expected to find a way to fix that kind of problem.
So what you're saying is that the charisma stat is not required to be charismatic but also that the charisma stat dictates how charismatic you are, and you see no conflict between these two statements?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Baby T. Love posted:

you're wrong

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'm confused, is the fighter supposed to earn inspiration by attempting charisma-linked skills with the wrong stats and then use those points to roll better at fighting, or is he supposed to earn inspiration by attempting combat with the wrong stats and then use it to roll better on charisma-linked skills?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Skills aren't intrinsically linked to any stat. There's even a sidebar (I think it's in the DMG?) that suggests the DM be open to letting players make interesting rolls like Persuasion (Strength) if they make a good argument for it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

SettingSun posted:

Skills aren't intrinsically linked to any stat. There's even a sidebar (I think it's in the DMG?) that suggests the DM be open to letting players make interesting rolls like Persuasion (Strength) if they make a good argument for it.

I feel like this exists pretty much only for the social skills, which is another sign that maybe they shouldn't exist in their current form.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I mostly-explicitly make a lot of social situations just like, explicitly tests of the player's ability to within-character persuade or use leverage against whatever character they're talking to, just like I prefer actual thoughtful investigation from the player over rolling insight or investigation or whatever. Mental skills are weird and addressing the conundrum by explicitly putting some tasks in the hands of the player instead of their character sheet seems better than attempting to mechanically balance them using the same system that decides whether your attacks hit or miss. You're free to roleplay and adjust for your character but I'd rather the group brainstorms about what seems important in any given place than roll a check and tell them.

This is especially true when searching a room. What gameplay value is there in rolling a check to search a room? Sure when there's time pressure it could be interesting, but even if someone fails, they're going to know they failed and then the next guy will be like "I search, as well", and someone will pass.

This way, your character's charisma is the stat for casting charisma spells, and doing charisma saves (whatever the gently caress those are). The player's charisma is used in social situations. Same for int except recalling information about the world I'm happy to have a check for. (Though again, same issue, does everyone get to roll?)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 23, 2018

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I agree with some of what you're saying, but not all of it. I think if someone wants to play a suave charmer, but is shy and unconfident in real life, putting them in the spot like that is unfair. It isn't like to make an athletics roll, you have to do a Double Dare physical challenge.

I think at minimum, a player should describe what they are doing instead of just grunting out a skill name and rolling. But I'd rather reward that thoughtfulness with bonuses than further penalize people.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This is especially true when searching a room. What gameplay value is there in rolling a check to search a room? Sure when there's time pressure it could be interesting, but even if someone fails, they're going to know they failed and then the next guy will be like "I search, as well", and someone will pass.

If you're going to houserule things anyway, the "one and done" is a useful crutch: players can only ever roll on a thing once, even if they're free to volunteer whoever in the party would be best suited to do it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yeah I mostly-explicitly make a lot of social situations just like, explicitly tests of the player's ability to within-character persuade or use leverage against whatever character they're talking to, just like I prefer actual thoughtful investigation from the player over rolling insight or investigation or whatever. Mental skills are weird and addressing the conundrum by explicitly putting some tasks in the hands of the player instead of their character sheet seems better than attempting to mechanically balance them using the same system that decides whether your attacks hit or miss. You're free to roleplay and adjust for your character but I'd rather the group brainstorms about what seems important in any given place than roll a check and tell them.
Do you also make your strong guys bench press before you let them muscle a door open, or require your rogue to pluck the d20 from your hand before she can make a stealth check?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Splicer posted:

Do you also make your strong guys bench press before you let them muscle a door open, or require your rogue to pluck the d20 from your hand before she can make a stealth check?
Every time a player makes an attack roll they fight me to the death irl

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Rogue has to successfully win at a game of Hide and Seek for every attempted Stealth check. Party stealth is a game of sardines instead.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Splicer posted:

I mean, mandating it is bad, but I think you could get some fun out at like some sort of summer camp deal with the option of changing a failure into a success on the completion of a Physical Challenge.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Relatively new to this thread, how long does it usually take for this endless shitshow nightmare to peter out?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Eggnogium posted:

Relatively new to this thread, how long does it usually take for this endless shitshow nightmare to peter out?

I'm afraid I've got some bad news.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Eggnogium posted:

*checks op date* At least four years.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I generally do skill stuff like Jeffrey of Yospos does it too but we kind of already ignore the terrible skill system in my group when we play D&D (which is very rarely).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The Bee posted:

I agree with some of what you're saying, but not all of it. I think if someone wants to play a suave charmer, but is shy and unconfident in real life, putting them in the spot like that is unfair. It isn't like to make an athletics roll, you have to do a Double Dare physical challenge.

I think at minimum, a player should describe what they are doing instead of just grunting out a skill name and rolling. But I'd rather reward that thoughtfulness with bonuses than further penalize people.
Well it's often discussed here but I think it's okay to not be fully general in my system - I want to run a game that explicitly asks you to use social skills, at least the the point of choosing what to say. Explicitly testing your intelligence and communication seems like a valid thing to put in a game even if it's not necessarily what you should do at every table. (I'm not an acting coach who is going to penalize for stammering or whatever, that's not really the point, but I want you to choose what to say and what angle you're going with.)

I don't need to test their ability to benchpress because they have a strength score for that. I'm explicitly making charisma scores govern some things, and player's speech
choices govern others. Player intelligence and charisma are something I want to explicitly reward at the table in a way bench pressing is not because I want a table full of players pushing themselves to demonstrate those things. I don't think ability scores are a good way to do that while I think they work fine for "do you lift the heavy thing?".

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Like my hypothesis is "Mental skills are strange because humans only have one mind and its not really possible to accurately imagine yourself inside another one, physical skills are entirely conceivable and lifting a heavy thing that you personally can't lift is easy enough to imagine. Rather than trying to jam mental skills into the same square hole as physical ones, explicitly cordon them off as something different, use the numerical scores for in-game mechanics like spells, recalling knowledge, noticing latent sensory information and the player's mind for conscious mental tasks."

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 23, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Eggnogium posted:

geez it's not like there's a new book or anything to discuss here, in the 5e thread

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Like my hypothesis is "Mental skills are strange because humans only have one mind and its not really possible to accurately imagine yourself inside another one, physical skills are entirely conceivable and lifting a heavy thing that you personally can't life is easy enough to imagine. Rather than trying to jam mental skills into the same square hole as physical ones, explicitly cordon them off as something different, use the numerical scores for in-game mechanics like spells, recalling knowledge, noticing latent sensory information and the player's mind for conscious mental tasks."
I think that's fine as long as you're up front about it, though doing it that way potentially misses two things:

1) D&D is primarily an escapist fantasy, and someone that wants to imagine being a suave charmer is unable to do so unless they can back it up at the table.
2) If there's a score on your character sheet for "Charisma", you should probably be very clear what it is and isn't used for and how that's different from the score that says "Strength" IMO.

Again, if that's all cool with you and your group, then play on.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I'd argue the act of writing as a whole disproves that. Sure, you can't 100% divorce your mind from your writing, but you can definitely protray someone different from yourself. If you're DMing aren't you already doing that by definition?

I do agree its just more fun and dynamic to have people choose their angles and set up plans, but I'd want that for physical skills too. I'd handle a player shoulder checking a door, smashing its hinges off with an axe, or prying it open with his bare hands quite differently, and that could influence difficulty, consequences of failure, and how success plays put quite differently. I won't ask the nitty gritty of which muscle groups you put into your boulder lifting, because that's silly, but I'd find it equally silly to do that for "I listen at the door as a watchman."

That said, every group is different, and if yours are happy you're doing your job as a DM perfectly.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Being able to "write" (whatever that means in the context of "being a player who wants to have a high Charisma stat") and mandating that a player has to be a confident public speaker in order to play a character that is a confident public speaker is not remotely the same thing. There are skill rolls that exist for a reason; if you make the player convincing you, the GM, a mandatory requirement to be able to use their talking skills then you're just being a dick for no reason. And an inconsistent one at that. You do that, the person who plays the Fighter better demolish the room, knock your living room door off its hinges, wrestle a dragon and benchpress all sorts of insanely heavy poo poo. The player who plays a Wizard better actually cast the spells he wants to etc. etc.

To say nothing of how different people in a group can have different levels of comfort with regards to talking in character at all and just narrating third-person. Expecting everyone to immediately be able to run with the former and telling them they're not allowed to play if they can't is hella bullshit.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 23, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Eggnogium posted:

new thread title

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Dragonatrix posted:

Being able to "write" (whatever that means in the context of "being a player who wants to have a high Charisma stat") and mandating that a player has to be a confident public speaker in order to play a character that is a confident public speaker is not remotely the same thing. There are skill rolls that exist for a reason; if you make the player convincing you, the GM, a mandatory requirement to be able to use their talking skills then you're just being a dick for no reason. And an inconsistent one at that. You do that, the person who plays the Fighter better demolish the room, knock your living room door off its hinges, wrestle a dragon and benchpress all sorts of insanely heavy poo poo. The player who plays a Wizard better actually cast the spells he wants to etc. etc.

Bringing up writing was more my take on the mindset hypothesis. I find it hard to believe that people can't put themselves in another's shoes in when we've had authors writing through other perspectives besides their own for centuries. Its why I disagree that social skills shouldn't be a thing.

Axing mental and social skills also means people comfy with improv get drastically more character options than people who aren't, and you can never play a character smarter than you in any meaningful fashion. Which, yeah, not really cool.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

ImpactVector posted:

I think that's fine as long as you're up front about it, though doing it that way potentially misses two things:

1) D&D is primarily an escapist fantasy, and someone that wants to imagine being a suave charmer is unable to do so unless they can back it up at the table.
2) If there's a score on your character sheet for "Charisma", you should probably be very clear what it is and isn't used for and how that's different from the score that says "Strength" IMO.

Again, if that's all cool with you and your group, then play on.
Yeah, I think compromising 1 is okay with me. It's not something I've imposed on my players without talking to them about it - I think we've all figured things together and it's gone fine. They're all willing to speak up when need-be though it certainly varies.

Listening at a door is something I *would* roll a skill for(or just tell them if anything comes, depending on the stakes) because there's no actual sound for the player to hear. They'd have to say "I listen at the door" and not "I roll perception" at least but yeah.

Dragonatrix posted:

To say nothing of how different people in a group can have different levels of comfort with regards to talking in character at all and just narrating third-person. Expecting everyone to immediately be able to run with the former and telling them they're not allowed to play if they can't is hella bullshit.
Broadly, can you tell me why this is bad? Would you say the same thing if I were running an acting class and not a tabletop rpg? When tom cruise shows up for his shoot he doesn't have to jump out of the exploding building but he does really have to deliver his lines in a confident manner. I don't see why the asking players to improvise in this context is any different. I think the skill system in 5e is bad because I think mental skills are fundamentally different from physical ones and a different system is warranted. Being comfortable doing improv is something I've explicitly asked of my players, that doesn't come from nowhere.

It does mean, if you want to play a character that is socially apt, you must be to some degree. It's definitely not a way to run things if your players aren't comfortable with that but that kinda goes without saying. It's not an issue at my table though because my players are down.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Hey, if you're GMing D&D for Tom Cruise then gently caress it, go nuts. I don't think you are though, and expecting people to "pretend" to be professional gymnasts but requiring them to be professional actors is insanely hosed up.

You're playing imaginary elf-games, not shooting a movie. If you can suspend your disbelief enough for magic to be able to exist, dragons and owlbears and poo poo to be able to own dudes, and the 7 year old girl to be pretend to be a giant swole Goliath who can piledrive a whale then Gary should be allowed to play someone who's confident

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Dragonatrix posted:

Hey, if you're GMing D&D for Tom Cruise then gently caress it, go nuts. I don't think you are though, and expecting people to "pretend" to be professional gymnasts but requiring them to be professional actors is insanely hosed up.
I expect them to be amateur actors because I think amateur acting is fun and I want to do it each sunday, at 3 EST. I think it's a core part of what makes tabletops rpgs fun, to me. I'm making it part of the game, how does this sentence not fully-generalize to any aspect of any game? How does the argument change if you instead say "Requiring people to be expert grid-combat tacticians is hosed up"?