Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

steinrokkan posted:

Seen first episode, not impressed. Very generic, very uninspired, like they went with the most obvious and safest choice for every possible creative decision. Also Cavill sucks a lot and is outclassed by the animated video game character in everything including expressiveness and emotional nuance.

The first episode isn't a very good representation. Episode 3 is when it really hits its stride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

To me this reads as much like they were trying to patch up old grievances as much as anything else. Other than Gwent I'm wondering how much CDPR even wants to do more Witcher stuff for the next few years, given that's all they did for a decade. They've hired a ton of people, sure, and will likely move to developing multiple games concurrently at some point, but they have to want more than 2 IPs.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Seen first episode, not impressed. Very generic, very uninspired, like they went with the most obvious and safest choice for every possible creative decision. Also Cavill sucks a lot and is outclassed by the animated video game character in everything including expressiveness and emotional nuance.

Where is the mod that add's expressiveness and emotional nuance to geralt

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
I dont like the disjointed timeline or the added narratives. Istredd and Yen wtf

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jimlit posted:

Where is the mod that add's expressiveness and emotional nuance to geralt

Henry Cavill is playing on the Switch so he can't download nexus mods.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

stev posted:

The first episode isn't a very good representation. Episode 3 is when it really hits its stride.

This. I’d recommend anyone watch up to episode three. Cavill as Geralt is awesome as poo poo and I can’t see how anyone can’t find him good in the role. He’s as wooden and awkward around other people and brooding as he is in the books, and his resigned “gently caress” is a fantastic catch phrase.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, the show absolutely gets better. The first episode is based on probably the weakest Witcher story which also makes it the weakest episode.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I thought that the first episode was probably the best adaptation! I liked how it just starts nowhere in particular, isn't too concerned with developing its characters or having a complicated plot, and then ends abruptly. That's how most Witcher stories are because they are more about atmosphere than plot or character. The first episode absolutely nailed the moody pulp feel of the short story collection.

I dislike how everything is cut together. I'd rather have a Geralt ep or a Yen ep and hold off on Ciri entirely.

Episode 2 would probably have been better as a straightforward adaptation of the story The Edge of the World, which is a comedy of errors rather than a monster hunt in the book. I would have liked Yen's tragic backstory to be flashback.

Basically, just adapt the thing! I don't think we needed all this character backstory.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 21, 2019

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I think jumping around on timelines is a little iffy and is going to result in some confusion for people who aren't familiar with any of the source material, but I've watched the first three episodes and am liking it so far.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah as a fan I also have mixed feelings. Some of it's really good, some of it is iffy, a lot of it is dragged down by questionable editing choices.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm on episode 6 and I really dig it. I have no history with the books so I can't comment. You can see the budget constraints in some of the effects but otherwise I've enjoyed it quite a bit so far.

Are there any good mods that change the skill tree in a fun and interesting way? I never liked how you have to spend X amount of points in a tree in order to unlock further skills in it. Unless that changed that, I haven't played this since the first DLC came out.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So far I don’t see the complaints with the CGI in the show. It’s on par with the first two seasons of GoT, which is pretty good considering. Hopefully the show blows up and gets big so they can make the really good poo poo like Ciri on ice-skates come to life.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think the problem with the first episode is that, unless I missed it, the crucial part of the plot explaining what's about to happen in the marketplace and why just isn't explained.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Alchenar posted:

I think the problem with the first episode is that, unless I missed it, the crucial part of the plot explaining what's about to happen in the marketplace and why just isn't explained.

She tells him she's gonna leave town tomorrow, he wakes up and she's gone, has some vision and realizes whats happening.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

pik_d posted:

She tells him she's gonna leave town tomorrow, he wakes up and she's gone, has some vision and realizes whats happening.

His realisation is just 'the marketplace'. But it's not clear at all why that's important. The book explains the very specific motivation to shame Stregobor out of his tower that's only visible here if you've read it.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Alchenar posted:

His realisation is just 'the marketplace'. But it's not clear at all why that's important. The book explains the very specific motivation to shame Stregobor out of his tower that's only visible here if you've read it.

I just finished the ep and I haven’t read the books and yeah, I didn’t get it.

Overall enjoyed it. I don’t think it comes off as competing to fill the shoes of Game of Thrones at all.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Alchenar posted:

she tells him later that she'll keep killing people until stregobor comes down

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
show is awesome, first two eps left me confused on stuff, since i've read the books but i think i got it figured out now. started episode 3 saw the sign for temeria "land of monsters and cowardly kings" which made me legit shout out "he aint a coward and he aint no duck neither"

never actually watched an adaption of a book series after actually reading the book (unless it was a comic book naturally) and so far its been iunderstoodthatreference.gif

digging cavils doug cockle impression tho, the voice was my main fear and im glad hes going all in.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah she does say it but I think it could have been helped had they somehow worked in the plan pre-butchering to give the audience a more clear understanding that this lady is absolutely going to murder the gently caress out of people one by one until he comes out and has the muscle to do it (I haven't read the books but that was my take on it).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm on episode 5 now. The dialogue probably could have used another editing pass. There are anachronisms like Yennifer saying "off the grid" that don't make sense.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Witcher has always been full of language anachronisms though, unless you expect 13th century people to have a modern day understanding of cellular biology.

Did Yennefer actually kill her classmates when she tossed them in the pool as eels or was Tissaia just holding them prisoner in that shape?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Alchenar posted:

Yea the whole “Tridam ultimatum” is left out and no one got to see Geralt kill those men in seconds. It’s a change I didn’t understand or care for.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The change so that Stregobor turned the crowd on Geralt when he became inconvenient was an okay change considering Geralt didn't have an audience to witness his massacre.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Witcher has always been full of language anachronisms though, unless you expect 13th century people to have a modern day understanding of cellular biology.

Did Yennefer actually kill her classmates when she tossed them in the pool as eels or was Tissaia just holding them prisoner in that shape?

As I understood it, they’re not dead, but “living conduits” of magical energy yada yada Aretuza magic school.

Edit: some of the CGI and creature design choices in episode 7 are a bit...hmmmmm.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 21, 2019

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Aretuza seems nightmarish and I don't believe Yen would hand Ciri over to a lady who turns students into eels.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
So Dandelion is the best part of the show, huh? Because I think he might be an improvement over the books.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Season was overall pretty drat good, but Something More really needed Sword of Destiny to land properly. I'd have definitely gone with expanding the Dryad story so Geralt met Ciri when she was younger, rather than psycho doppler and the plot thread to nowhere.

Sodden Hill wasn't done all that well. The show set it up like the Battle of Kaer Morhen in Witcher 3, but that's a video game level and not a cinematic battle. They really needed more than just Foltest marching into frame and then ending. Sodden was a massacre that checked Nilfgaard so badly that they switched tactics from frontal assaults to political coups (followed by frontal assaults), and I'd love to see that onscreen.

The Last Kingdom remains the best portrayal of formation army fighting on television, and I'd love to see Brenna done full justice if the show ever makes it that far.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Arcsquad12 posted:

Actually yes, the people of the Witcher universe do have an understanding of genetics and biology that is well beyond the expected level.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Norton the First posted:

So Dandelion is the best part of the show, huh? Because I think he might be an improvement over the books.

Jaskier/Dandelion is loving awesome in the show. There’s a couple of moments where he’s kind of a bumbling fool, and instead I picture him as having a way with women, but overall he has this sing-song tone to his voice that is always plucking at Geralt’s last nerve.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

chaosapiant posted:

Jaskier/Dandelion is loving awesome in the show. There’s a couple of moments where he’s kind of a bumbling fool, and instead I picture him as having a way with women, but overall he has this sing-song tone to his voice that is always plucking at Geralt’s last nerve.

Pretty sure Dandelion being a goddamn idiot is canon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

steinrokkan posted:

Actually yes, the people of the Witcher universe do have an understanding of genetics and biology that is well beyond the expected level.

I mean yes the people of the Witcher setting do have that level of understanding. He was saying that it's anachronistic to the rest of the setting but Witcher is full of intentional anachronisms. It's part of the world's charm that everyone talks like they're in the 20th century when it's 1268. Anachronisms only stand out to the audience unless a story is getting meta.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The only really bad thing about the Witcher show is that Henry Cavill isn't playing Beard Geralt because Beard Geralt is canon even though it doesn't make sense in the timeline of the show

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Norton the First posted:

Pretty sure Dandelion being a goddamn idiot is canon.

He’s always an idiot, but he’s also got (somehow) the ability to charm the pants off of ladies constantly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Danfelion's key is he's not picky. He's boomhauer with a singing voice.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Also he is at core a decent and unthreatening person. His flings could do a lot worse. And most importantly, he's famous.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's a shame that he wasn't in the last episode. He and Geralt have a lot of making up to do after Geralt ripped into him on the mountaintop.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Geralt being both brooding and a bit of a dick who constantly puts his foot in his mouth is spot on.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I kinda hope the next game in the witcher series takes places a decade+ after Blood and Wine, and deals with/parodies 'modern fandom'.

Horny noblewomen writing Geralt/Dandelion slashfic and selling it, painters making grand murals trying to depict the final battle between Geralt and the King of the Wild Hunt. Young men/women from Skellige named after Geralt or his friends, etc.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A Witcher making his trade during the Wars of the Unicorn in Kaedwen could be neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m thinking a potential Witcher 4 will have you make your own character; so a prequel makes sense when there are a lot more Witchers in the world.