Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I did it, I finally won a game with the Traxos wombo combo with Scrap Trawler, Daring Archeologist, Antiquities War and a million 0 or 1 mana artifacts and all that jank. It's a real dumb deck but it's real fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

precision posted:

"Blockchain" sounds like some kind of weird pseudo-Banding keyword

imagine if a bunch of high(er) end graphics cards all across the planet had banding

and were attacking... something

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
It probably makes me a scrub, but I much prefer it when the control decks in standard are still running some actual, not-just-a-wincon, creatures in their main decks.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Just picked up my last 2 thorn lieutenants for $2.80. Got 2 in my 3 pre releases. Seems like it’ll replace resilient kherna at rotation in my deck. Better then merfolk branchwalker I think.

Too bad monument and blossoming defense will be gone too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gustav posted:

It probably makes me a scrub, but I much prefer it when the control decks in standard are still running some actual, not-just-a-wincon, creatures in their main decks.

I run cards that I know would make my deck objectively better if I removed them (like Raff) but looking at the Tier 1 U/W decklists just makes me think it would be super not fun to play. I like denying my opponent the ability to play Magic but I also like to do more than that.

It's too bad Chief of the Foundry is rotating out because U/W Artifacts is super fun and sweet to play (I just got another win with it!) but without a lord just lmao at being able to win with it and trying to jam Benalish Marshal in there, even with 4 x Renegade Map, is a big ask.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

precision posted:

It's too bad Chief of the Foundry is rotating out because U/W Artifacts is super fun and sweet to play (I just got another win with it!) but without a lord just lmao at being able to win with it and trying to jam Benalish Marshal in there, even with 4 x Renegade Map, is a big ask.

4 Shocks, 4 Checklands and 2-4 other sources could enable a W/u deck that can play Benalish Marshal and some number of spells that only cost a single blue mana. Dunno what a U/W Artifacts deck looks like but Shocks+Checks make for a pretty lively manabase by themselves, and there's other stuff like Unclaimed Territory or whatever if your creatures are mostly Humans.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Gustav posted:

There's a guy at my lgs who plays uw second sun with a teferi. Most of his turns he plays a land then ends.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I just started playing Magic, and signed up for the Arena waitlist. 3 days later I got a mail saying I'll get an invite in 4 more days. I've heard people saying it took months for them to get an invite. Did I get really lucky or are they just inviting everyone in the beta now?

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

UnfurledSails posted:

I just started playing Magic, and signed up for the Arena waitlist. 3 days later I got a mail saying I'll get an invite in 4 more days. I've heard people saying it took months for them to get an invite. Did I get really lucky or are they just inviting everyone in the beta now?

They are inviting a huge crowd now to stress test the servers. I think it’s the 20th with lots of special events.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Gustav posted:

That's a relic of formats where a third of the meta wasn't playing a deck built almost entirely around interacting as little as possible and with haste/block interference/resilience or some combination of the three stapled to every single creature. What good is an Omenspeaker when it won't get out fast enough to stop Bomat and can't block Khenra and Crasher?

Teferi is a win condition, source of card advantage, and realistically the only card that has a chance to "block" for you.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

If a deck can win, it has a win condition. And I say that as someone who never plays control.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Autism Sneaks posted:

how about I don't let you act out your weird grudge against a computer science fad in the thread for a children's card game, lol

I can't think of anything they're useful for either, Autism Sneaks.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
the guy who has a weird grudge against unsustainable financial bubbles that cause a lot of environmental damage (normal people actually love these things and think they're good)

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I guess I'm qualified for nationals, so I should probably build a standard deck.

How viable is UR wizard burn? I had a lot of fun with the deck type when Stormchaser Mage was legal.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Question about planeswalker points: I was looking at my yearly points because I was curious and saw that I only had 1 point each for the two NBL challenges and 1 point for the NBL modern open event. I made top 8 at that open but still only show 1 point, I guess because it was a "casual" event? Since it's not a sanctioned format does that mean nobody got points like they would have in a normal open?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Question about planeswalker points: I was looking at my yearly points because I was curious and saw that I only had 1 point each for the two NBL challenges and 1 point for the NBL modern open event. I made top 8 at that open but still only show 1 point, I guess because it was a "casual" event? Since it's not a sanctioned format does that mean nobody got points like they would have in a normal open?

You will enjoy that one point and like it.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Yep. Only sanctioned events get you those real-deal points.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Lame. Didn't even cross my mind, I was just looking to see if I had some extra padding to insure me for future events like Nationals. Ohhh wellll

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

gotta play real formats instead of SCG's "we bought a whole bunch of modern banned cards and then just so happen to host a large tournament where people can play them" extravaganza

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Katana Gomai posted:

gotta play real formats instead of SCG's "we bought a whole bunch of modern banned cards and then just so happen to host a large tournament where people can play them" extravaganza

Aka the "CE/IE is legal but proxies are not" rule.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Has red adopted any of the new 2 drop card filterers? The new dark dwellers and the rummaging pyromancer

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Has red adopted any of the new 2 drop card filterers? The new dark dwellers and the rummaging pyromancer

Not yet, there is speculation he may end up in a goblin shell. For whatever reason that card was in all my sealed pools so I played with it a fair bit, and it didn’t impress me.

I can’t figure out a situation where you have a lot of mana open and a board presence in goblins and the game isn’t over one way or the other. It’s possible it gets played as just a 2/2 with a relevant tribe or for a sac outlet but the ability was really underwhelming.

Pyromancer felt better but the activation for the 4 damage feels a bit too expensive for constructed

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The goblins aren't that bad in Goblin GPG, with Instigator and Dark-Dweller Oracle. Mostly relevant because it 1cc sacs with Gate out, or can in turn be fed to Skirk Prospector. The deck still has problems finding the Gate though, and Oracle doesn't really help there (4 mana and a board and the top of your deck needs to be just right).

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The Grixis standard mirror is literally exhausting to play after 3+ months of playing nothing but Modern Humans lmao

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

fadam posted:

The Grixis standard mirror is literally exhausting to play after 3+ months of playing nothing but Modern Humans lmao

I'm on Ru wizards, splashing only for adeliz and counters in the board. No mirrors ever! Also, has pretty good play against everything in my limited sample size.

I've been on tezzerator in modern the past week and boy do they play differently.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Not sure what the best version of it is yet, but Sarkhan's Stompy is really powerful.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Not sure what the best version of it is yet, but Sarkhan's Stompy is really powerful.

Modern? It's been running pretty hot according to folks on the discord; havent had a chance to run it yet

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Standard. With Traxos and Scrounger, with Vine Mare, etc. Even Gigantosaurus is in on the action. Do you have a link to the modern list you are talking about?

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 17, 2018

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Standard. With Traxos and Scrounger, with Vine Mare, etc. Even Gigantosaurus is in on the action. Do you have a link to the modern list you are talking about?

These all feel super undertuned and seemingly allergic to putting in the good red cards like Phoenix and Glorybringer. That said I think Sarkhan's Unsealing has a ton of potential and would love to see it explored further, especially in something other than a modified stompy shell.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

These all feel super undertuned and seemingly allergic to putting in the good red cards like Phoenix and Glorybringer. That said I think Sarkhan's Unsealing has a ton of potential and would love to see it explored further, especially in something other than a modified stompy shell.

You can't play Steel Leaf and phoenix/gb. I think modified stompy is exactly where Sarkhan's Unsealing belongs. Steel Stompy is already one of the better decks, adding reach, removal, and boardwipes to it is really strong, even at the cost of being a bit slower and less streamlined.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Walked posted:

Modern? It's been running pretty hot according to folks on the discord; havent had a chance to run it yet

Which discord

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Budget fling deck?

4 llanowar elves
4 elphame druid
4 untamed kavu
4 shock
4 territorial allosaurus
2 grand warlord Radha
4 blossoming defence
2 helm of the host
2 galta
4 fling
2 Jaya immolating inferno

4 of the red/green lands
12 forest
8 mountain

Side some naturalise, whatever the green is that gives all creatures indestructible, want to slip some grunn the lonely king in, mostly to fling a 20/20 grunn.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

AnEdgelord posted:

This deck has done nothing but lost me match after match on mtgo:

Deck: RB Sarkhan

//Lands
4 Canyon Slough
4 Dragonskull Summit
1 Hostile Desert
2 Ifnir Deadlands
8 Mountain
1 Scavenger Grounds
4 Swamp

//Spells
4 Cathartic Reunion
2 Key to the City
3 Sarkhan's Unsealing
1 Unlicensed Disintegration

//Creatures
4 Ammit Eternal
4 Bloodrage Brawler
2 Glorybringer
4 Hollow One
2 Rekindling Phoenix
4 Scrapheap Scrounger
2 Traxos, Scourge of Kroog
4 Wanted Scoundrels

//Sideboard
3 Abrade
2 Bone Dragon
2 Desecrated Tomb
3 Duress
2 Hazoret the Fervent
1 Rekindling Phoenix
2 Vraska's Contempt

Display deck statistics

But loving lol is it a load of nonsense to play.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

It seems insane to not play 4 Unsealings in an Unsealing deck, given that they're totally insane in multiples.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ShaneB posted:

Which discord

https://discord.gg/zW44yP

Scroll down, the MTG channel is under Game Room.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

You can't play Steel Leaf and phoenix/gb. I think modified stompy is exactly where Sarkhan's Unsealing belongs. Steel Stompy is already one of the better decks, adding reach, removal, and boardwipes to it is really strong, even at the cost of being a bit slower and less streamlined.

I guess my problem is that given the choice between Steel Leaf and Glorybringer/Phoenix I'd rather have the big red dudes. They are just better cards in most situations and grant your deck the ability to fly over board stalls while you are waiting for your bigger cards to start coming down. I do think Green is still a great starting point but I'm ready to put Steel Leaf Champion on the chopping block in order to pack in some better cards.

This might undermine my previous statement but one card I do want to check out in an Unsealing deck is Goreclaw, primarily because of the discount it offers.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

why is llanowar elves from the viven reid deck $40?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

STONE COLD 64 posted:

#mtgfinance

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

STONE COLD 64 posted:

It is not, there’s probably just a single copy on TCGplayer and other websites take their aggregate listings as “the price”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

M19 copies only come from welcome decks or whatever. People are now going crazy over them because the supply is so limited. Its one of the dumbest loving things ever considering they are exactly the same as the DOM ones except for the set symbol. They don't even come in foil.