Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I should be OK putting heavier strings on a 3-barrel Tele as long as I stick to a plain 3rd, right? I got some 11-50s because fingerpicking on 9s kinda sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

We should start a midlife crisis returning to the guitar crew.

Hi. Can I be in the crew?

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I remember taking an endless amounts of poo poo from my friends and acquaintances in high school for thinking Metallica was super lame and steely Dan was awesome.

I have been vindicated

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

I'll be the manager because my midlife crisis happened about 15 years ago. :smith:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I swear, I'm so much better at this whole thing when I remember to stop holding my breath through the hard parts.

I'm going to start writing little breath commas in my music like a 6th-grade trumpet player.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

BDA posted:

I should be OK putting heavier strings on a 3-barrel Tele as long as I stick to a plain 3rd, right? I got some 11-50s because fingerpicking on 9s kinda sucks.

It should be OK with a wound 3rd, because that's what it would have come with when Telecasters first came out in the '50s.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

BDA posted:

Teles aren't usually super finicky. I run 10-52 on everything but I threw 9s on my Tele and it didn't really change much. Small neck adjustment was all it needed. Going back to heavier strings will just take reversing the trussrod adjustment.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Harton posted:

I remember taking an endless amounts of poo poo from my friends and acquaintances in high school for thinking Metallica was super lame and steely Dan was awesome.

I have been vindicated

nah

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Hot take incoming

Lol Metallica writes music for 13 year olds

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Harvester of sorrow lol

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Harton posted:

Hot take incoming

13 year olds have better taste than old folks tbqh

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
13 year olds need music to be mad to, just like 45 year olds need music to drink and be ironically nostalgic to

It's not a battle, it's a pipeline.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Harton posted:

I have been vindicated

Steely Dan sucks.

Metallica sucks.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Harton posted:

Hot take incoming

Kilometers Davis posted:

13 year olds have better taste than old folks tbqh

you are both correct

mentally 13 4 life screw being a boring old gently caress i outgrew metallica a long time ago but papa het is still the high watermark for heavy rhythm guitar

also steely dan is the most boring loving poo poo ever but it's not like my musical tastes are any better. Like what you like dance how you wanna dance. As long as you're rockin the gently caress out then you do you booboo

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Metallica sucks, especially post-AJFA Metallica, but Steely Dan is just impossibly lame, suffocatingly boring old man fart sniffing dentist music.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Lol trap sprung

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Sorry everyone I knew what I was doing when I posted it lol.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://youtu.be/YhQ5Dg6gdEw

owns

https://youtu.be/xAOMEqMXiXI

owns

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Harton posted:

Sorry everyone I knew what I was doing when I posted it lol.

Joke’s on us, everybody. He was just pretending to have no taste.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Just play Steely Dan like metal problem solved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwmTk-BQB1k

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Harton posted:

Lol trap sprung

I just noticed how much your new AV loving owns

A Small Beetle
Apr 15, 2006

Signing up!

My guitar has a nice comfortable beer gut to rest against this time around.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

duodenum posted:

Joke’s on us, everybody. He was just pretending to have no taste.

Lol you sound like my wife. She hates everything I play

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Gramps posted:

I just noticed how much your new AV loving owns

I love my beefy dog!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Harton posted:

Lol you sound like my wife. She hates everything I play

shes not the only one that thinks that :twisted:

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Spanish Manlove posted:

shes not the only one that thinks that :twisted:

Lol!

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
another midlife crisis guitargoon here

I stopped playing to focus on 20 years of alcoholism quit drinkin and picked up my old squier and here we are surrounded by guitars.

I work from home so I can play whenever and there is always one within reach

buy more guitars it will fill the hole inside of u

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Thumposaurus posted:

this is further proof that the songwriting and composition are good. the songs transcend their often indulgent aesthetic, although a self-aware grossness of indulgence is an important part the whole deal

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i listen to weezer and the pixies and remo drive and modern baseball. also puccini

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm also midlife crisis guitar goon, with a good dose of retail therapy. I really should invest in therapy therapy to be honest, but I've got some more gear stuff to take care of first.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Thumposaurus posted:

Deeply jealous I didn't come up with the band-name "Witch Taint" first.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The Pixies are very very good

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

The Pixies are very very good

i was talking with my friend about this but yeah. i deeply admire the amount of culture, experience, and romance that black francis puts into the songs on surfer rosa and doolittle. it’s what everyone who copied them kind of missed. they’re a very artistic band just by virtue of who they are, not because they’re trying to be.

when i was a kid, it was hard to kind of conceptualize what punk was, because it just sounded like pretty vanilla rock music. i’d only heard stuff that already had so much punk influence, that going back to like, blitzkrieg bop or whatever felt pretty plain. i realized recently that the pixies did that. they’re responsible for synthesizing that punk energy with something more meaningful and romantic.

they’re also a band full of understatedly great rock musicians. kim deal gets a lot of praise, but joey santiago is basically the ideal lead guitarist to me, and david lovering is a wonderful rock drummer too.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i actually think pixies are far and away the most important/influential rock band, from today’s point of view. doolittle is in its 30’s, and it still sounds fresh and interesting today. the music of the beatles did not stand up as well over time.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

The closest I ever got to The Pixies was Last Splash, which is a great album.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
So I found out someone local who teaches guitar, after I helped my sister tune a fender dreadnaught my parents had that they had one at some country music festival, I really liked making it go twang.

It’s been a month and I try to practice every day, finally getting to the point where I can reasonably play notes with reference and remembering some basic notes. Next lesson I am going to start on basic melodies.

So far really enjoying it despite practicing the same things over and over getting a little boring and my fingers perpetually having blisters.

I think I am going to purchase a electric sometime during the winter. So my question is what should I look for in a electric? I know the OP has recommendations for guitars but not what makes a good electric I feel. Electronics seem a low requirement as replacing that stuff seems relatively easy. Unsure if design changes much on sound but I assume it affects it in some way. Wood of course would be a major factor unless I am completely incorrect.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

duodenum posted:

The closest I ever got to The Pixies was Last Splash, which is a great album.

The Breeders are cooler than Pixies anyway.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
One project completed, finally put the original pickguard and pickup into my '67 Melody Maker.

I was going to swap back to the old bridge, but the original bridge is intonated for a wound third and the neck bends like a wet noodle. 11s are out of the question as a result, 10s with or without a wound third are questionable, so I'll stick to the intonatable bridge and 9s on this one. Yes, the real answer is 12s and tuning down to B or C, but not with the Melody Maker pickup.

I do want to find the missing part of the Vibrola but I'm not paying a couple hundred for an original or $50+ for a full new one hoping it will fit. Should just take it off and throw it in a safe place.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Jeesis posted:

I think I am going to purchase a electric sometime during the winter. So my question is what should I look for in a electric? I know the OP has recommendations for guitars but not what makes a good electric I feel. Electronics seem a low requirement as replacing that stuff seems relatively easy. Unsure if design changes much on sound but I assume it affects it in some way. Wood of course would be a major factor unless I am completely incorrect.

Wood makes gently caress all difference to the sound of an electric guitar. Pickup make and arrangement matters, as does the type and quality of the amp. Buy something that "feels" good in the hands to play and get a Boss Katana amp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

landgrabber posted:

i actually think pixies are far and away the most important/influential rock band, from today’s point of view. doolittle is in its 30’s, and it still sounds fresh and interesting today. the music of the beatles did not stand up as well over time.

lmao