Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
loving gently caress me if this is no longer a "little thing" but, jfc with the cocksucking software updates, my CPU/console telling me I'm not connected, asking me to update this password and that and, seriously, just holy poo poo.

I can't possibly be the only person experiencing this or who feels this frustration. It happens with my phone, my work CPU, the machines I work with at my job, my video game consoles...and it drives me loving insane.

I fired up my Xbone about 45 minutes ago to play some RE3, was told it can't connect to the internet, then was told it needed an update once it did connect. That took a half and hour and now it wants me to insert the disc for the game that's already in the drive. Now RE3 itself needs an update after working all that poo poo out so let's wait some more. I read a lot about mods, patches and poo poo for PC gaming and the hardcore types and I swear to god I don't understand how people stay sane just trying to enjoy a recreational activity.

People are lining up to connect their "smart" stoves, refrigerators and cars and everything else to the loving internet. I can't wait for the day I can't start my car because it's downloading a software update and then I'm 45 minutes late to work.

gently caress...I used to think loading screens on my SEGA, PS1 and NES were inconvenient. Not even kidding I booted up a game I bought 5 months ago that was working perfectly fine and seriously had to wait an HOUR to play the motherfucker.

*camps out overnight to by a PS5*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Morrowind has an actually thought out and interesting game world.

Something abandoned in all subsequent TES games.

Oblivion had a boring flat game world but good quests.

Skyrim had a somewhat cool Gameworld I guess but poo poo quests.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 22:54 on Aug 8, 2020

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

jfc with the cocksucking software updates

100% with you, bud. The term 'Update' is a trojan horse of annoyance, distraction, and inconvenience. Hate any and all of them.

And people get excited for them! You know what doesn't need updates? Furniture, kayaks, baseballs, doors. Soon you're going to come home and be stuck outside until your door downloads a security update.

Oh, and I play my PS4 disconnected from the internet unless I want to buy a new game. It's the only way to go, tbh.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

loving gently caress me if this is no longer a "little thing" but, jfc with the cocksucking software updates, my CPU/console telling me I'm not connected, asking me to update this password and that and, seriously, just holy poo poo.

I can't possibly be the only person experiencing this or who feels this frustration. It happens with my phone, my work CPU, the machines I work with at my job, my video game consoles...and it drives me loving insane.

I fired up my Xbone about 45 minutes ago to play some RE3, was told it can't connect to the internet, then was told it needed an update once it did connect. That took a half and hour and now it wants me to insert the disc for the game that's already in the drive. Now RE3 itself needs an update after working all that poo poo out so let's wait some more. I read a lot about mods, patches and poo poo for PC gaming and the hardcore types and I swear to god I don't understand how people stay sane just trying to enjoy a recreational activity.

People are lining up to connect their "smart" stoves, refrigerators and cars and everything else to the loving internet. I can't wait for the day I can't start my car because it's downloading a software update and then I'm 45 minutes late to work.

gently caress...I used to think loading screens on my SEGA, PS1 and NES were inconvenient. Not even kidding I booted up a game I bought 5 months ago that was working perfectly fine and seriously had to wait an HOUR to play the motherfucker.

*camps out overnight to by a PS5*
I just ate a bunch of beans and now I have to take a poo poo

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I'm playing splatoon 2 a lot with my nephew and I'm reeeeeal tired of the two gameshow hosts talking through an unskippable dialogue about poo poo I don't understand or care about every time I turn on the game. My nephew is 7 and hates it too, who is this for?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

lord funk posted:

100% with you, bud. The term 'Update' is a trojan horse of annoyance, distraction, and inconvenience. Hate any and all of them.

And people get excited for them! You know what doesn't need updates? Furniture, kayaks, baseballs, doors. Soon you're going to come home and be stuck outside until your door downloads a security update.

Oh, and I play my PS4 disconnected from the internet unless I want to buy a new game. It's the only way to go, tbh.

Yeah, I was gonna text my friend real quick but my phone needs an update that I can't skip and then needs a hard restart. Now my settings are all hosed up so cool.

I was gonna bang out this order at my job but Adobe Illustrator needs an update and the cutting machine software I use to run it is no longer compatible with that version of the plug in so let me spend 4 hours working that out for a $30 decal order for something that was working perfectly fine until you hosed with it. Plus, the CPU and OS we're running might be older than 2 years so gently caress me if I'm not Up to Date. I read a lot of gaming threads and hell if it doesn't seem like gamers know exactly what I'm talking about. Did you use the xvidea 3.7 card or the 9.3 mghz Windows mega xp patch plug in this that or the other loving thing that conflicts with the other poo poo you play?

Sorry...sorry...

Might make a good idea for different thread somewhere on the forums because honest to christ I spend more time staying "up to date" and fussing with this "amazing technology" we all have designed to make my life easier than I do saving time using or enjoying it to make my life simpler and also hell if it's not dragging down my fun trying to do something simple like playing video games. Good lord.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Eclipse12 posted:

In Bloodborne I'm using the axe in two-handed extended mode and I've got almost every weapon in the game and none are as overall useful in my build so I'm just using one weapon for the entire playthrough :(

I have Ludwig's sword at +6 but its two hand form is slower than the axe with about the same damage and less useful hitboxes, meanwhile the one-hand stance is faster than the axe but has less damage so it's actually slower to kill.

I'm bummed that the two-hand axe is so versatile and strong that using anything else feels like I'm purposely handicapping myself. I just charge R2 and stagger/kill/knockdown everything. Then one hit at most to finish them off.

Just got the cannon though and that poo poo's awesome

Counterpoint: I have a pimp cane that turns into a razor whip. I don't give a poo poo about the numbers; there ain't nothing better than that.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Perfect Potato posted:

So what's the deal with the weird superiority complex over Morrowind? Cus I played it to completion outside dlc the past few weeks and it's basically the exact same poo poo as the other games but with somehow even worse quests and dungeons and struggles even worse to keep up with the player's powercreep
Haha, Morrowind is definitely not going to impress you if you're playing it for the first time now. It's old enough to vote and has a lot of brutally antiquated mechanics. It's just frustrating that the devs largely didn't build upon what made Morrowind so cool and unique for the sequels and streamlined the gameplay in a way that doesn't permit the sort of wildly different playthroughs that Morrowind allowed.

Also Oblivion's level scaling is so, so broken in a way that can pretty easily result in a playthrough becoming unbearable due to enemy health bloat outpacing the player's stats through completely normal and predictable player behavior. You'd be hard pressed to find another AAA game with a fundamental mechanic so prone to "gently caress you, start over"

Whatev has a new favorite as of 11:18 on Aug 9, 2020

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
I don't think I ever got above level 15 or so in Oblivion before reaching the end of the game (all guilds plus main quest done). I might have hit twenty once. It never felt like levelling was important in it.

Skyrim, meanwhile, has an achievement for killing a Legendary Dragon, which don't start spawning until around level 78. Before they added skill prestiging, this required an extremely diverse set of maxed skills. Afterwards, it still requires either obscene playtime or level cheesing to reach.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What games have diverse bestiaries, but are very poorly distributed?

Somewhat related issue: crafting games that have tons of single purpose materials/items.

In Graveyard Keeper you can melt Silver nuggets into Silver ingots. What you can use those ingots for? Maybe craft a crucifix or holy weapon or something? Nope, you can sell them and nothing else.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

JackSplater posted:

Skyrim, meanwhile, has an achievement for killing a Legendary Dragon, which don't start spawning until around level 78. Before they added skill prestiging, this required an extremely diverse set of maxed skills. Afterwards, it still requires either obscene playtime or level cheesing to reach.

Yeah, I was something like 15 levels below that target after 100+ hours and completing every other achievement.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

gently caress swords of revealing light

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

rydiafan posted:

Counterpoint: I have a pimp cane that turns into a razor whip. I don't give a poo poo about the numbers; there ain't nothing better than that.

Too true. First time I played through the game I used the Threaded Cane and literally never bothered with any other weapon. Being able to razorwhip eldritch abominations to death was insanely satisfying.

Then I played through again with a couple other gimmick builds (Bloodtinge and Arcane) where I really only had two viable weapons in either one and that loving owned, too.

I guess what I'm saying is that you just gotta pick the weapon you love and get to hunting

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The real thing dragging Bloodborne down is that there are so many weapons you can only obtain near or right at the end of a playthrough. Some of them you can nab by entering the DLC early and doing a suicide run, but the list of ones you can't get without massive effort is pretty long:

- Beast Claw (requires doing the chalice dungeons at least halfway)
- Bloodletter
- Burial Blade
- Chikage
- Church Pick
- Holy Moonlight Sword
- Kos Parasite
- Rakuyo
- Fist of Gratia (not a weapon but it's so useful for stuns that I don't know why you can only get it near the middle of the endgame DLC)
- Accursed Brew
- Blacksky Eye
- Choir Bell
- A Call Beyond

And there are several you can only get by finishing an NPC's sidequest or killing them early, which is fine, but good luck with that:

- Blade of Mercy (you can just let Henryk kill Eileen if you want them early I guess)
- Logarius' Wheel
- Simon's Bowblade
- Stake Driver (you can just force Djura off his tower for an easy win but an honest fight is basically not possible that early)
- Madaras Whistle (you must kill Valtr for it if you're not playing online since you need vermin to rank up the League)

Since the game's not like Souls where there's 10 different varieties of 'sword', I wish they had let you start with any weapon you'd picked up or upgraded to +10 on a different save file or something.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Aug 9, 2020

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Yeah that would be a nice QOL feature, letting you make a new custom class with whatever starting weapon so you don't have to do NG+.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thankfully the existence of glitched chalice dungeon glyphs was uncovered a while back. Normally the chalice dungeons don't spawn weapons as hidden loot until you have that weapon on your save file, but some clever hackers have created custom dungeons that force several of the weapons on that list to spawn. Now you only have to make it as far as Old Yharnam and complete the first chalice, which isn't perfect, but it leaves much more of the game open to fool around with.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Morrowind had hot garbage moment-to-moment gameplay but an absolutely engrossing world, especially if you were willing to think. The world does not care about you. When you go bust into some random dungeon around, you don't get some little adventure like in Skyrim, you find whatever was important enough to put underground, from bug farms to family tombs. The world felt like an inhabited place, even if engine limitations made it a small world, not a themed playground. The main quest was interesting and wasn't a chosen one narrative. You had real choices as to how to complete quests. You can, and this part is really amazing, bypass the main questline entirely, kill a god, and take the items needed to win the game from his corpse.

You can kill every single NPC in the game (except one) and still get a victory screen because the end of the main quest isn't about saving the world, it's about killing some dipshits who've decided to become gods.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

It drives me nuts that there’s no Chalice equivalents in Dark Souls 3, nothing really beats loading up a random chalice after a rough day and tearing through it to fight some souped-up boss. Someone that cares about the lore more than I do can correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t a major part of Dark Souls’ plot that time and space get all hosed up as the flame dies? No reason at all not to have some weird extra dimensional Lordran procgen levels.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah I was actually surprised they didn't go there with DS3 given that it ramps up the timey-wimey shenanigans tenfold over the previous ones. There are indications that it would have had a more open world structure at one point, for example the player used to have the ability to make their own bonfires wherever they wanted with coiled swords.

edit: In fact the mechanic was so close to completion and implementation that there's still remnants of it in the final game. Unused animations and button prompts for pulling out a coiled sword or stabbing it into an enemy to make a bonfire. They even make you do it at Firelink in the intro with the one you pull out of Gundyr, serving as possibly a former tutorial on how to create one.

Plus there's this in the High Wall of Lothric right at the start of the game. This broken coiled sword was the model used for making bonfires in the press event, and it's the same sword that has been used for bonfires in all the Souls games:

Dark Souls 3 is a great game but it's very linear (kinda like Bloodborne, but at least that game has like 10 optional areas you can do in any order). It's really interesting and kind of a bummer to see what we could have had instead, especially with some of the crazier scripted events in the DLCs.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 01:23 on Aug 9, 2020

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Speaking of DS3 and lore, I might have mentioned this in this thread before, but the Profaned Capitol is insanely disappointing to visit if you read any of the lore on the item descriptions. It’s all this stuff about a tragically doomed kingdom built around an unnatural Flame that never fades....and then you go there and it’s like two hallways, ten enemies, and a lovely little brazier that farts fireballs at you if you’re within LOS.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

Speaking of DS3 and lore, I might have mentioned this in this thread before, but the Profaned Capitol is insanely disappointing to visit if you read any of the lore on the item descriptions. It’s all this stuff about a tragically doomed kingdom built around an unnatural Flame that never fades....and then you go there and it’s like two hallways, ten enemies, and a lovely little brazier that farts fireballs at you if you’re within LOS.

Fire themed regions in Souls games tend to get hit hardest by development issues. Lost Izalith is a mess, Profaned Capital is tiny, the mines in Demon's Souls are the world's more boring caves. Iron Keep in DS2 is pretty cool, although the elevator apparently sent some people into a seething lore rage back in the day.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I'm playing through Watch Dogs 2 ATM after just finishing the first one, and basically anything involving running from the police is an exercise in frustration.

Cop cars are faster than you, are heavy enough that if you mutually sideswipe each other you're the one more likely to be pushed off the road, and they spawn in front of you if you manage to evade pursuers. On top of this even if you attempt to escape by hiding down sidestreets and making tight turns down back alleys to evade them, any time you have a wanted level above literally the minimum possible, a helicopter spawns in which stops you from evading by blocking line of sight due to the fact it can target you from above. The only skill that lets you deal with helicopters is a top-tier skill that's locked behind completion of a mission, too. Early game you just don't have any tools to effectively deal with being pursued.

Police chases are just punishingly difficult and if I don't finish this game they will be 100% the reason why.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
My favourite thing about Morrowind in retrospect is the guilds actually oppose each other, and there is an actual feeling of working your way up through poo poo jobs and minimum stats for promotions.

An earlyish fighters guild mission has you attack thieves guild members and the quest giver is like 'tough poo poo, better choose which of us you love more' when you point it out to them.

It works so much better than the Companions where the second quest is you're now our most trusted friend and we are all werewolves or our archwizard can only cast default fireball. Being afraid of locking people out of content is homogonising game experiences.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Skyrim's "you can't get locked out of stuff" also means your actions can't have real consequences. If you can do anything, they can't take into account all the combinations of things you might have done so they just make it so that the effect of your actions is localised and unimportant (even if you kill the emperor)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Thankfully the existence of glitched chalice dungeon glyphs was uncovered a while back. Normally the chalice dungeons don't spawn weapons as hidden loot until you have that weapon on your save file

This isn’t how it works except sort of for the DLC weapons. the lost/uncanny weapons from the base game have no restrictions on when they spawn besides their location, which is prohibitively deep in most cases, but you can get them before getting their original version which I’ve done to get an uncanny burial blade and then fight gherman with it in NG. These are the weapons you can get from false depth dungeons because they’re just “ordinary” depth 4/5 dungeons that you can join without having actually progressed through the static dungeons at all.

Lost/uncanny DLC weapons work more like you described because they only show up in messenger shops inside the dungeons once you have the original version of the weapon, but they’re specifically the weapons the false depth dungeons don’t solve because they don’t spawn as loot at all. They didn’t really integrate the DLC into the dungeons or expand/improve them at all with the DLC which was disappointing

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Breetai posted:

I'm playing through Watch Dogs 2 ATM after just finishing the first one, and basically anything involving running from the police is an exercise in frustration.

Cop cars are faster than you, are heavy enough that if you mutually sideswipe each other you're the one more likely to be pushed off the road, and they spawn in front of you if you manage to evade pursuers. On top of this even if you attempt to escape by hiding down sidestreets and making tight turns down back alleys to evade them, any time you have a wanted level above literally the minimum possible, a helicopter spawns in which stops you from evading by blocking line of sight due to the fact it can target you from above. The only skill that lets you deal with helicopters is a top-tier skill that's locked behind completion of a mission, too. Early game you just don't have any tools to effectively deal with being pursued.

Police chases are just punishingly difficult and if I don't finish this game they will be 100% the reason why.

I don't get how they screwed up the chases in WD2 so badly compared to the first game. Like, okay, maybe they were a little too easy in 1 where you basically just press the magic hack button a few times until the cops stop existing, but in 2 it's a mess and even most of the tools that exist for that explicit purpose, like hacking traffic lights, don't seem to work most of the time. Then add onto that the fact that some missions are inexplicably scripted differently so that no matter what you do pursuers will just continue to spawn immediately in front of you. It also doesn't help that anything outside of downtown San Fran just sucks for chases.

The best advice I can give is that the one single thing they improved is, in fact, the hiding in your car maneuver. In WD1 it took like ten minutes of parking in some backlot praying the cops don't decide to home in on your exact position (they probably will) to maybe finally shake them. In WD2 basically as long as the cops aren't immediately visible on your screen you can park your car just about anywhere and duck down and they'll often be none the wiser. ...Or just ditch your car, jump into a scissor lift, raise it up and hide up in the basket until they go away. :v:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
GRID 2 has a rewind option like many Codemasters' games (press button to go back ~5 seconds if you gently caress up). Unfortunately it's really buggy and seems to work 50% of the time. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it does nothing. The behavior can change even during a single race. I guess it technically just makes it a normal driving game without casual driving aids, but it's pretty annoying that you can't trust a core mechanic. Extra infuriating, because the AI drivers have a tendency to randomly ruin my race for no reason.

I think it somehow fails to keep track of the data, because instant replay seems to break as well.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Being afraid of locking people out of content is homogonising game experiences.

Locking people out of content is annoying and bullshit. I recall a Morrowind mod someone made that made the stats you needed for promotion way higher (presumably because the modmaker had the ehmershun brainworm), and all it meant was that you'd be able to qualify for promotion in a guild at the approximate time when you quaffed a cure for a disease that (storyline-wise) made you actually immortal. Miss me with that crap; the game explicitly tells you plot-wise things will be better if you're a muckity-muck in something for a while before he helps you out any more.

Now that my memory is thinking about Morrowind, I recall being annoyed that the NPC / AI pathing was always crazy. Quest to have Bob McWalkerton follow you? Better be prepared to save a lot and constantly look over your shoulder. If you don't, well, Bob will decide that the best way to walk over this small hill is to decide to rapidly run off cross-country to Vivec Knows Where. Don't even bothering cheating and summoning a new Bob McWalkerton, it doesn't work.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Len posted:

gently caress swords of revealing light

Harpies Feather Duster is allowed in your custom decks, you should have it along with various other broken counter spell cards because for the first 2/3 series of the game the AI loving loves that card.

When you hit series 4 it'll be less valuable because the degeneracy that is modern Yu-Gi-Oh will have fully set in.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Barudak posted:

Harpies Feather Duster is allowed in your custom decks, you should have it along with various other broken counter spell cards because for the first 2/3 series of the game the AI loving loves that card.

When you hit series 4 it'll be less valuable because the degeneracy that is modern Yu-Gi-Oh will have fully set in.

That's asking me to actually learn deck building though. I was trying the reverse match and that pointy haired gently caress locked me down three times in a row. And he blew up my field before the last one expired. And then he took my blue eyes

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Len posted:

That's asking me to actually learn deck building though. I was trying the reverse match and that pointy haired gently caress locked me down three times in a row. And he blew up my field before the last one expired. And then he took my blue eyes

Yeah, that, at least, goes away once you leave original series and get into GX and onwards.

Thry're replaced by entirely different forms of bullshit, but at least it's more engaging and interesting types of bullshit than 'don't move for three turns'.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Len posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1FzeYPCXR8

Oh no my blue eyes!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Holy poo poo why does Fall Guys have team games I don't mind losing any other round but as soon as it decides to dump me into the losing side of a 5 on 4 soccer match I need to take a break from playing the game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ring Fit Adventure doesn't have a way to tell the game that I didn't actually do anything aside from boot it up one day so now it keeps giving me praise for sticking to it for 6 days in a row even though I've only done 5 :negative:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

RareAcumen posted:

Ring Fit Adventure doesn't have a way to tell the game that I didn't actually do anything aside from boot it up one day so now it keeps giving me praise for sticking to it for 6 days in a row even though I've only done 5 :negative:

#lifehacks

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So there was a lot of heavy criticism of Deadly Premonition 2's narrative and writing, especially of how it handled a couple of characters. But there's one thing that kind of stood out weirdly to me as I finished the final act today that I've seen literally no one online mention at all, that kind of surprises me: Early on in the game you meet an NPC named Avery who is a giant simple-minded man like Lenny from "Of Mice and Men". He talks in the stereotypical slow, dumb, moron voice and calls pretty much every other character "A Smarty Pants". He's also weirdly obsessed with the dead girl you're in town to investigate. His sole characteristics are that he's big, strong, and childishly stupid. After you finish the main story arc it turns out that whoops, he's evil; did drugs and was so obsessed with that little girl he not only worshiped her corpse but also went out and kidnapped another little girl who looked like her. You eventually fight him and he turns into a giant child. Basically it feels like something out of a really bad Stephen King novel and I'm kind of surprised the game didn't get any flak at all for it.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

My favorite things in Morrowind were when the guy you meet in Balmora near the start offered me his bed to rest in, and I clicked his pillow to do so, inadvertently stealing it, and he screamed and killed me. Also jumping off a building for 2 hours until I could jump over the building.

When it came out, I was younger and couldn't grasp the combat which I guess was stat based, and hated poking someone with my dagger 10 times and hitting them twice. I never really got over that, but would like to get into it some time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nuebot posted:

So there was a lot of heavy criticism of Deadly Premonition 2's narrative and writing, especially of how it handled a couple of characters. But there's one thing that kind of stood out weirdly to me as I finished the final act today that I've seen literally no one online mention at all, that kind of surprises me: Early on in the game you meet an NPC named Avery who is a giant simple-minded man like Lenny from "Of Mice and Men". He talks in the stereotypical slow, dumb, moron voice and calls pretty much every other character "A Smarty Pants". He's also weirdly obsessed with the dead girl you're in town to investigate. His sole characteristics are that he's big, strong, and childishly stupid. After you finish the main story arc it turns out that whoops, he's evil; did drugs and was so obsessed with that little girl he not only worshiped her corpse but also went out and kidnapped another little girl who looked like her. You eventually fight him and he turns into a giant child. Basically it feels like something out of a really bad Stephen King novel and I'm kind of surprised the game didn't get any flak at all for it.

Yeah this was a bummer for me as well. There's precedent for York writing off the non-supernatural suspects due to supernatural clues, he does it in the first game several times. I'm almost certain it's an intentional character flaw, like a blind spot in his investigative abilities or something. The problem is DP2 makes it SO obvious that Avery is absolutely the culprit responsible for the body vanishing and SO over the top that there's no way the player will side with York's opinion and be fooled, just because the character is such a terrible assembly of cliches. I thought it was on purpose and York was going to reference Of Mice and Men once it proved to be a fakeout, but then it was played entirely straight.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Locking people out of content is annoying and bullshit. I recall a Morrowind mod someone made that made the stats you needed for promotion way higher (presumably because the modmaker had the ehmershun brainworm), and all it meant was that you'd be able to qualify for promotion in a guild at the approximate time when you quaffed a cure for a disease that (storyline-wise) made you actually immortal. Miss me with that crap; the game explicitly tells you plot-wise things will be better if you're a muckity-muck in something for a while before he helps you out any more.

Now that my memory is thinking about Morrowind, I recall being annoyed that the NPC / AI pathing was always crazy. Quest to have Bob McWalkerton follow you? Better be prepared to save a lot and constantly look over your shoulder. If you don't, well, Bob will decide that the best way to walk over this small hill is to decide to rapidly run off cross-country to Vivec Knows Where. Don't even bothering cheating and summoning a new Bob McWalkerton, it doesn't work.

Yeah the pathfinding is absolute dogshit. Summoning them with the console does work, it's what I did every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MisterBibs posted:

I'd say it depends, mostly- yeah, it's pretty bad game design if I'm locked out of a questline just because my Underwater Basket Weaving skill wasn't high enough, but if I kill the Shogun of the Cyber-Samurai, I'd fully expect to be locked out of Cyber-Samurai quests and plotlines.