Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Morpheus posted:

Oh I think a lot of people have been wielding salami in BG3 if you know what i mean

There's like 6 different salami options to choose from in character creation, I can see why people are hitting the two hour limit in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

bawk posted:

I've been playing Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night and the absolute epiphany I had on how to get into the underwater area of the game was awesome. I was completely stuck on what to do besides fight the final boss, and while exploring I realized I never found an ability for going through water, which locks off an area underneath the castle. There's three entry points:

1. Under the drawbridge, where a body of water requires going underneath it to continue
2. Through a well in the garden area of the game, but with a similar problem. At some point you have a body of water with no path across except under.
3. The actual path you're supposed to take: there's a fountain of blood in one of the main entrance halls, and while you can tell there's a gap in the center where Miriam falls deeper in, you can't do anything with it. One of the bosses you fight is Bloodless, a demon who can absorb the blood that splatters all over the place to restore her health. When you get it after killing her, the ability checks the room you're in for blood spatters. This is a useful post-combat ability to quickly restore health from enemy blood (and yours), and it also works on the blood fountain.

I dunno if I missed a huge signpost the game was trying to put up for me, because I definitely missed it, but while looking around at other stuff and thinking about other ways in, having that moment of looking back at the map and saying "God, it's seems like you should be able to do something with that fountain of blood... wait :stare::stonk:" was awesome. :allears:

I'm gonna be so disappointed if the katana I got from my boy Zangetsu, which says in the description "this blade can be used to sunder the moon" doesn't end up slicing that giant blood moon in half.
That's what you're supposed to do next? I've been stuck for a long time (in my defense, I play it very off and on) after getting the double jump and beating the tower dragons. I thought one or both would open things up, but I couldn't find anything despite retracing what felt like every room three times. I even got all excited when I found a way into the right side underground but there wasn't really anything of note there. I guess I gotta find that boss now!

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Waste of Breath posted:

There's like 6 different salami options to choose from in character creation, I can see why people are hitting the two hour limit in there

Ah, calabrese or Genoa eh?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Zero_Grade posted:

That's what you're supposed to do next? I've been stuck for a long time (in my defense, I play it very off and on) after getting the double jump and beating the tower dragons. I thought one or both would open things up, but I couldn't find anything despite retracing what felt like every room three times. I even got all excited when I found a way into the right side underground but there wasn't really anything of note there. I guess I gotta find that boss now!

You need to go the train station first. There's a Silver Bromide you should already have from the Dragons, then you gotta interact with the camera back at the shop, then you gotta take that photo to Not Alucard who lends you books.

That chain of events sucks. Once that is done, you will get access to the areas where the boss im talking about is at. Sorry for the spoilers! :pseudo:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Waste of Breath posted:

I haven't seen anyone post that you can dual wield salami in BG3.

Why do these have different damage lmao?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Everybody knows you put a lot less hurting on your salami with your off-hand.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Yeah the offsalami isn't as good as prime salami.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Hey, some of us are salami southpaws. (Salami Southpaw, another good user name)

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Can you spec into gabagool?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
You can use these as nunchakus

These as a whip

And this is how a well stocked quiver with different damage types looks like:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sininu posted:

Why do these have different damage lmao?

If it's anything like actual D&D rules, you don't add your ability modifier to the damage of your off-hand weapon.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Vic posted:

You can use these as nunchakus

Beaten to the punch in 1991:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiFdWod9Ql4

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jesus Christ, Vampire Hunter did it too, though I can't find a clip of the relevant fight scene.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

That doesn't seem kosher

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Jesus Christ, Vampire Hunter did it too, though I can't find a clip of the relevant fight scene.

Here's the whole movie, are you talking about the scene near the end with the kidney knuckles?

https://youtu.be/DsqGiN-e5iM

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

bawk posted:

You need to go the train station first. There's a Silver Bromide you should already have from the Dragons, then you gotta interact with the camera back at the shop, then you gotta take that photo to Not Alucard who lends you books.

That chain of events sucks. Once that is done, you will get access to the areas where the boss im talking about is at. Sorry for the spoilers! :pseudo:

The rest of the game wasn't too bad but I was totally lost for that part and had to look it up

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
haven't plahyed any of BG3 yet, but having fun reading all the ways people are stretching the rules to the limit:
https://twitter.com/EllohimeTwitch/status/1689726730628435969

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

While we're gushing about BG3, two more cool things I really like about it so far:

- There are very few filler fights. So far, the great majority of fights I got into had a good reason to occur, usually involving people who are relevant to a quest or introducing you to a particular mechanic or environmental factor. This is in stark contrast to e.g. Pathfinder WotR, which positively loved throwing random groups of demons at you as you explored the map.

- Gimmicks don't overstay their welcome. I just entered a new area where you basically have to constantly stay close to light or Bad Things will happen to you. That mixes things up a bit, you may have to put away your big two-handed weapons to carry a torch instead, switch out some spells to have magical lightning sources, or simply set your environment on fire. That's an interesting change of pace, but also the sort of thing that could soon become tedious or invalidate certain character or party setups (e.g. a rogue isn't gonna be doing much sneaking with a lit torch in hand). So after just enough time to let you appreciate that this place is bad news and very cursed, the game basically goes "okay you get it now" and gives you a passive buff to let you get through the darkness unharmed for the time being.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Here's the whole movie, are you talking about the scene near the end with the kidney knuckles?

https://youtu.be/DsqGiN-e5iM

It's been decades since I watched this, and god, I'd forgotten how much of that movie is just "welp, here's a new fight scene for no reason". I'm pretty sure the bit I'm thinking of is here, where one of the villains grabs the entrails off a cadaver and uses them as, I guess, a three-piece rod?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I haven't started it yet (but very soon), but Baldurs Gate 3: I was scrolling through TikTok when somebody pointed out a magical item called the Chest of the Mundane, which I thought was cool: It's a chest that, when an item is stored inside it, the item is changed into a mundane item. Junk. When the item is removed, it turns back into the original item again. This isnt a camouflage or something, the item changes from one thing, to a mundane thing, and it's properties change to match, including weight. So if you're a pack rat that wants to take everything valuable amd heavy that's not bolted down, you can huck it into the Chest of the Mundane and it'll turn everything into 0.5lb spoons/cups. That's pretty OK, kinda like a bag of holding with flavor.

But the funny thing is that the chest will still have rarity colors for these items, but that's it. It's just silverware and poo poo. If you put 5 items of the same rarity inside, you better memorize exactly which spoon is which if you want to grab them later in combat. And if you accidentally put in, say 1000 coins... that's 1000 spoons baybee!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In remnant 2 there are electric barrels that make a shock explosion when destroyed. it’s completely safe to dodge roll straight through these barrels because your dodge invincibility will be active and make you immune to the explosion. not safe for any of the giant bugs chasing you.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It's like 2000 spoons
When all you need is a knife

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

bawk posted:

I haven't started it yet (but very soon), but Baldurs Gate 3: I was scrolling through TikTok when somebody pointed out a magical item called the Chest of the Mundane, which I thought was cool: It's a chest that, when an item is stored inside it, the item is changed into a mundane item. Junk. When the item is removed, it turns back into the original item again. This isnt a camouflage or something, the item changes from one thing, to a mundane thing, and it's properties change to match, including weight. So if you're a pack rat that wants to take everything valuable amd heavy that's not bolted down, you can huck it into the Chest of the Mundane and it'll turn everything into 0.5lb spoons/cups. That's pretty OK, kinda like a bag of holding with flavor.

But the funny thing is that the chest will still have rarity colors for these items, but that's it. It's just silverware and poo poo. If you put 5 items of the same rarity inside, you better memorize exactly which spoon is which if you want to grab them later in combat. And if you accidentally put in, say 1000 coins... that's 1000 spoons baybee!

Can you put stuff in a box and then put the box in a chest?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's been decades since I watched this, and god, I'd forgotten how much of that movie is just "welp, here's a new fight scene for no reason". I'm pretty sure the bit I'm thinking of is here, where one of the villains grabs the entrails off a cadaver and uses them as, I guess, a three-piece rod?

I have the Blu-ray and it's a constant reminder that I had just terrible taste a decade+ ago

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

RedSnapper posted:

Can you put stuff in a box and then put the box in a chest?

I don't know for-sure, but I'm pretty sure you can. I think it'd be funny to play a necromancer who has a chests/trunks full of bodies stashed in the mundane box, for whenever you need a skeleton army to raise but there's no fresh corpses around. It's like one of those prank cans of peanuts but instead of being filled with fake snakes, it's full of wooden bowls that turn into barrels full of angry skeleton warriors :allears:

In news from the game I'm actually playing, Ender Lilies is quickly growing on me as a game with good combat. You dont have traditional items, your character is a kid who communes with spirits, and you can equip three spirits to your hotbar (X/Y/B) with two loadouts to swap between. Starting out I really didn't like it because the different spirits were so situational besides the one that's just your Melee button, and the combat was terrible because there was no block button/the dodge was terrible.

I'm about 4 hours in now, and I've got a good dodge, three different choices for melee (sword, hammer, big gently caress-off hammer), a thousand ranged options (including a homing magic missile and the knife from castlevania), and not one, not two, but three block options. 2 of them are parry/counter attacks, one does a slashing attack in front of you while the other does an AOE burst, and 1 of them is an emergency oh-poo poo button that doesn't take up a spirit slot. Bosses are so much loving fun, I fought a boss last night that teleports around to attack you, but their eye always lights up when they're about to attack. Their eye would light up, they'd disappear into nothingness, and I would time a block that would immediately parry/counter their surprise teleport attack and then lay into them with the hammer. When one counter is on cooldown, I had the other counter equipped so I couldn't be caught off guard. I only had to use the oh-poo poo counter one time, and only got hit once. :hellyeah:

bawk has a new favorite as of 18:07 on Aug 16, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Quote is not edit

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

bawk posted:

I don't know for-sure, but I'm pretty sure you can. I think it'd be funny to play a necromancer who has a chests/trunks full of bodies stashed in the mundane box,
You can put bodies inside containers? :o

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Sininu posted:

You can put bodies inside containers? :o

Why couldn't you? Sure, you have to make sure the container is the right size, but you'd be amazed at how small a container a body can fit into.

Wait, you're asking about a game? Uh... ignore all that.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The first and only time I found an actual corpse inside a coffin in BG3 was a bit of a “oh right bodies are a thing you can pick up” moment.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

bawk posted:

Thanks for this! I booted my game up for the first time in a while and I'm actually at the photograph step.

On another note, I couldn't find anywhere that would remind me about this quest line. It's not in the quest tracker, not in the journal, nowhere in the Archives tab at all. The game is still overall good but what an annoying oversight.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Zero_Grade posted:

Thanks for this! I booted my game up for the first time in a while and I'm actually at the photograph step.

On another note, I couldn't find anywhere that would remind me about this quest line. It's not in the quest tracker, not in the journal, nowhere in the Archives tab at all. The game is still overall good but what an annoying oversight.

I THINK one of the NPCs mention it, but it really did need an easy way to remind the player.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
'how exactly do you deal with players who might've put the game down a year ago and picked it back up between any particular two event flags' is one of those hard problems to solve in gaming

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Zero_Grade posted:

I did this exact thing with another part because i was mashing a too fast. If you talk to the shop lady, Miriam will say something like "I'm trying to go to X in the castle but..." and she'll tell you where to go next for movement upgrades. I zoned out while hitting buttons and skipped right past where the next upgrade was. Luckily I think it was double jump or something easy to find. She is not very helpful about the photograph if I remember right. I was just going to see if I could get more books when he mentioned making me a train pass

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Step one fill the chest of the mundane with a thousand anvils. Step 2 get on top of a cliff just above the big bad guy. Step 3 tip the chest over the cliff.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

flatluigi posted:

'how exactly do you deal with players who might've put the game down a year ago and picked it back up between any particular two event flags' is one of those hard problems to solve in gaming

I'm pretty sure Tales of Symphonia and Vesperia both have a journal tab that have a synopsis of all the main story beats in them. If you game has 0 interactive material to its plot like Elden Ring or something then it gets a lot more difficult to think of ways to get that in.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

In several of the DQ games, you can also press a button to talk to one of your party members, who gives you a conversational clue about where you're (supposed to be) headed.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The issue I always have with picking up games again is that my "skills" have rusted into an immovable mess and picking up from where I left off will have me starting halfway up the difficulty curve already while not being able to remember which button does what.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Lone Badger posted:

The issue I always have with picking up games again is that my "skills" have rusted into an immovable mess and picking up from where I left off will have me starting halfway up the difficulty curve already while not being able to remember which button does what.

It's always a lie when I leave something and tell myself I'll come back and pick it up later. Fantasy novel, videogame, dog poop, etc.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lobok posted:

It's always a lie when I leave something and tell myself I'll come back and pick it up later. Fantasy novel, videogame, dog poop, etc.

The broken pieces of my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

bawk posted:

If I remember right, I had to lookup a walkthrough for that part because it was a branching path and I happened to meet Alucard first and then visit the train station second. But Alucard's dialogue doesn't trigger until after you have been to the train station, so I didn't realize he had any connection to advancing in that area. The walkthrough had me return to him and then his dialogue made it clear what to do next.