Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I played 1->3->2->books, and have replayed all of them since then. 1 is still playable and fun, but it is old and janky (it's effectively a heavily modified Neverwinter Nights 1) and it was their first game. If you played other RPGs from that era, it's standard fare, but a younger player who has only played modern games might find it jarring. The plot of 1 doesn't directly impact the plot of 3 much at all, but it does give more character backstory. And, in turn, you'll get more out of the characters and backstory in 1 if you've read the books, since it's assuming that you're familiar with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Id still kill to have another game starring Geralt so we could get more of his sighs of resignation

Paperchase is my all time favorite quest in any RPG.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I love how that quest puts you through the goddamn ringer, and then once you finally get access to the bank, you get the stinger where all your money is gone and you have to wait even longer to get it back.

And it's like 300 gold.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
The gently caress, in episode 5 did they really just kill mousesack?

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Vikar Jerome posted:

The gently caress, in episode 5 did they really just kill mousesack?

I had to google what remind myself what he did in the books. They cover the one story he had any involvement in on the show, so no big loss.

I’m glad they are doing anything with Cahir instead of a being a sad sack that gets punked on by everybody all the time.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Yeah the cahir stuff is great. Jaskier is perfect. Everyones casting is really good. Finished up ep8, show is awesome, despite some stuff like vilgafortz, not sure why they had him in too early cant wait to see kaer morhen next season

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I’m five episodes in and enjoying it, I just think the time jumps are confusing and as someone that hasn’t read the books I only know who about half the characters are.

So this is my what is the best way to read the books post. Where can I get the set cheap?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’m five episodes in and enjoying it, I just think the time jumps are confusing and as someone that hasn’t read the books I only know who about half the characters are.

So this is my what is the best way to read the books post. Where can I get the set cheap?

Anywhere, really. Buy 'em on Amazon if you have to, they're not that expensive.

Start with the short story collections, since that is what the season is covering, The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I get that Calanthe was a Bad Bitch, but her wandering into her daughter's betrothal...thing...covered in blood and bragging about putting down some burghers was just completely alienating. She looked like a lunatic.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

The Last Wish (short story collection)
Sword of Destiny (short story collection)
Blood of Elves (beginning of novels)
Time of Contempt
Baptism of Fire
The Tower of Swallows
Lady of the Lake
Season of Storms

I had great luck finding a seven book set used for only $25 on halfpricebooks.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
I didn't like the show.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Look Sir Droids posted:

Also if you have a Kindle or IPad with Kindle app, they’re very inexpensive as ebooks go!

Time jumps: I liked them. I’d read the books and didn’t catch the jumps at first either. But as the show goes on, you’ll see it and the way everything converges is, I think, very cool from a storytelling standpoint. It’s one of the few shows where I think the season is far stronger as a whole than by individual episodes.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The fight choreography was pretty good and fun to watch.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The way Geralt kills the first dude in Blaviken justified the entire show tbh. gently caress me if it wasn't the most metal thing I've ever seen.

The fight syncs up really well with a track from the third game's OST too.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

In It For The Tank posted:

The way Geralt kills the first dude in Blaviken justified the entire show tbh. gently caress me if it wasn't the most metal thing I've ever seen.

The fight syncs up really well with a track from the third game's OST too.

Yeah that fight scene is what kept me watching, and then episode three was pretty great all the way through and I was hooked in.

That said, the professional reviewers seem to be savaging the show. The title of the Entertainment Weekly review is "Netflix's The Witcher is Nakedly Terrible." The show has a 58% critical reception on Rotten Tomatoes.

But the viewers seem to loving love it.

And 8.8/10 from IMDB user reviews. If the public response continues like this we can expect to see a lot more Witchering in the future.

Edit: and in case you were planning to read that review I mentioned, don't. The reviewers spend half the time criticizing Cavill's hair and the show's nudity, then the reviewers admit that one of them only watched episodes 1 and 2 and the other only watched episodes 1 and 5. They give the show an F based on this in-depth exploration.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 24, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011
My favorite so far was Polygon saying that The Witcher had extremely flat characters in comparison to The Mandalorian of all things.

Very much enjoyed the show, didn't really care that things were changed, it nailed the soul.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

They really did nail the spirit of everything. I went in expecting to hate their take on Dandelion/Jaskier, for example, but there's no way you can't listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHgowJ7d33k

and be a little charmed.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
I asked this in the TV IV thread for the show but figured I'd throw it out here too:

I keep seeing criticisms of the show vs the books which is fair, but what stuff were people complaining about when the games first appeared on the scene? I understand they take place after the books but figured maybe they retconned some poo poo or wrote out some characters that had people miffed.

I just started playing this again and it's a lot easier now that I know some character backstories. Do I need to be on the lookout for blueprints or can I count on drops and chest loot for armor and weapons? I really enjoy prepping before a big fight as I'm super bad at the combat still, but for some reason dealing with a lot of micromanaging in the armor and weapon areas seems really dull. I'm easy to convince too if crafting is actually the crux of the game's equipment grind.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Pyrus Malus posted:

I just started playing this again and it's a lot easier now that I know some character backstories. Do I need to be on the lookout for blueprints or can I count on drops and chest loot for armor and weapons? I really enjoy prepping before a big fight as I'm super bad at the combat still, but for some reason dealing with a lot of micromanaging in the armor and weapon areas seems really dull. I'm easy to convince too if crafting is actually the crux of the game's equipment grind.

The only worthwhile gear is the witcher gear, so be on the lookout for maps sold by vendors that will lead you to the pieces that are hidden around the world.

You'll need to get ingredients for crafting, but only to upgrade the witcher gear, so keep an eye out for rare stuff like dimeritium and draconid leather and anything that breaks down into those.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Wicked Them Beats posted:

The only worthwhile gear is the witcher gear, so be on the lookout for maps sold by vendors that will lead you to the pieces that are hidden around the world.

Can these maps be randomly added to any merchant's inventory or do they only appear in a certain type?

I guess I'm asking if I need to check innkeepers for this type of stuff or if I can stick to blacksmiths and armorsmiths.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Pyrus Malus posted:

Can these maps be randomly added to any merchant's inventory or do they only appear in a certain type?

I guess I'm asking if I need to check innkeepers for this type of stuff or if I can stick to blacksmiths and armorsmiths.

They aren't random so if you're missing a map you can look up who might sell it. I think they're mostly found on black- and armorsmiths but I don't know if they all are.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Pyrus Malus posted:

I asked this in the TV IV thread for the show but figured I'd throw it out here too:

I keep seeing criticisms of the show vs the books which is fair, but what stuff were people complaining about when the games first appeared on the scene? I understand they take place after the books but figured maybe they retconned some poo poo or wrote out some characters that had people miffed.

I’ve been playing since the first game came out, and I don’t recall hardly any criticism of those elements. As a sequel, it didn’t really retcon anything from the books and did the characters justice. The only minor quibbles are Alvin being a stand-in for Ciri and Triss taking Yen’s role as major love interest. But the game dropped enough hints that those original elements were still there and pulled a huge amount of references and quotes from the books.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
The game totally butchered Yen and Ciri relationship

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zeta Acosta posted:

The game totally butchered Yen and Ciri relationship

How? They weren’t even in it. And you can coax a story from an innkeeper who tells you what happened in the books.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
They had Yen and Ciri in the third game and didn't nothing with them.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I like the show but sometimes the script feels awkward and sometimes it feels like a higher budget Xena/Hercules episode. I think it's pretty hosed that Entertainment Weekly only watched one episode before declaring the show "The worstest thing ever" though.

I do hope they get another season.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did any of the books other seasons of storms do much with Coral? I honestly can't remember because she was killed at Sodden. Also makes the statuette quests in Witcher 3 awkward because they talk about Coral like she's still alive.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

kidkissinger posted:

I like the show but sometimes the script feels awkward and sometimes it feels like a higher budget Xena/Hercules episode. I think it's pretty hosed that Entertainment Weekly only watched one episode before declaring the show "The worstest thing ever" though.

they already got a 2nd season before this one even aired. personally hope they do blood of elves and times of contempt for season 2, blood of elves alone, i dont think will be enough. but both of them together will own and give a nice cliffhanger.

i think the main problem with this season is getting the short stories to mingle well like the saga books and playing with the different timelines gimmick and it doesnt quite work as much as they hoped

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zeta Acosta posted:

They had Yen and Ciri in the third game and didn't nothing with them.

That's certainly a weird/hot take. But ok!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

kidkissinger posted:

I got that same Xenia/Hercules vibe. Since TV overall has so much high production value compared to the 90s, I think relatively speaking that’s where this show lines up. The casting is mostly saving it where the script gets hammy.

I’m p sure someone said they were already renewed for another season.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Look Sir Droids posted:

I got that same Xenia/Hercules vibe. Since TV overall has so much high production value compared to the 90s, I think relatively speaking that’s where this show lines up. The casting is mostly saving it where the script gets hammy.

It also feels like reviewers' standard line is 'if you're looking for more Game of Thrones' (or even an unstated 'the reviewer was looking for more Game of Thrones') then this show isn't for you, and this bit above brought it to mind because I think GoT has made some folks forget there's other kinds of fantasy stories.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
After binging the series I'm really getting the urge to replay the game. It's been a few years and I've built a new computer so I now can run everything on max, load up all the mods, and go to town again.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Fhqwhgads posted:

I've built a new computer so I now can run everything on max, load up all the mods, and go to town again.

Has technology finally reached the point where we can run the game with hairworks on?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Pyrus Malus posted:

Has technology finally reached the point where we can run the game with hairworks on?

I've been able to do that for 3+ years now. A regular ol' GTX 1080 can get you all graphics options turned to ultra, plus Hairworks, on an Ultrawide (2560x1080) screen. Weirdly, Witcher 2 with Ubersampling still runs worse than that. But in Witcher 3 with those settings I get 70+ frames in the city and in the 90s out in the wild.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dawgstar posted:

It also feels like reviewers' standard line is 'if you're looking for more Game of Thrones' (or even an unstated 'the reviewer was looking for more Game of Thrones') then this show isn't for you, and this bit above brought it to mind because I think GoT has made some folks forget there's other kinds of fantasy stories.

Game of Thrones broke a lot of people's ability to accept different kinds of storytelling.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

alot of these sites have been banging on for months and months on how this is "netflix's game of thrones" to straight up claiming even netflix are banking on it being GoT. (i dont think they are, but what do i know) so not surprised their brains continued to leak out.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Vikar Jerome posted:

alot of these sites have been banging on for months and months on how this is "netflix's game of thrones" to straight up claiming even netflix are banking on it being GoT. (i dont think they are, but what do i know) so not surprised their brains continued to leak out.

The first full on trailer I saw of Witcher made me nervous because it absolutely came off as game of thrones with different people

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
my big problem is i have always viewed witcher as kinda of smarter R rated Shrek but the show only sorta does. the books are very dark humored as are the games and the show is missing that at times. like it still has those moments but not as often and usually not as clever. some of the story abridgments are kinda of badly abridged.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
One thing that bugs me in Witcher 2 is the slow HP regeneration. I'm playing a Swordsman build this time and I have most of the perks that increase your hit points. Turns out that HP regeneration is just flat value, so I have to wait over 100 seconds(!) for my HP to regenenerate to full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I don’t think Game of Thrones is a good genre comparison. I didn’t mean Xena/Hercules as a negative. Not everything has to be prestige TV.