Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I want the last chapter of this series to just be Momo saying gently caress it and soloing everyone

Instead of "Let Me Solo Her," her superhero name is, "Let Her Solo This."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

We've got Mirko having a lot of screen time being successful, which is rare for characters aside from pro heroes, Deku, Bakugou, and Todoroki normally. But who else would you put on that list? Ryukyu? Mt. Lady? I'm blanking on Toga's last fight besides the Destro fight where she figured out the second stage of her powers.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 11, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah, Mt. Lady's pretty big

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Mt. Lady definitely wins as far as character development to screen time ratio goes

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

We've got Mirko having a lot of screen time being successful, which is rare for characters aside from pro heroes, Deku, Bakugou, and Todoroki normally. But who else would you put on that list? Ryukyu? Mt. Lady? I'm blanking on Toga's last fight besides the Destro fight where she figured out the second stage of her powers.

Do you count the Joint Training arc? Uraraka, Froppy, Mushroom Girl and Kendou whooped rear end. Pony was pretty good too.

While we're on the subject, one of the biggest missed opportunities was ending a chapter with Todoroki hyping Momo up to solo Kendou's whole team and then she just loses easily. It's like Horikoshi genuinely couldn't think of a way to make her fight cool so just tossed the plot back to Tokoyami.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 11, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Do you count the Joint Training arc? Uraraka, Froppy, Mushroom Girl and Kendou whooped rear end. Pony was pretty good too.

While we're on the subject, one of the biggest missed opportunities was ending a chapter with Todoroki hyping Momo up to solo Kendou's whole team and then she just loses easily. It's like Horikoshi genuinely couldn't think of a way to make her fight cool so just tossed the plot back to Tokoyami.

Okay so two things, yes I count that. And I also undermined my point by listing pro heroes while talking about characters with screen time and then using Mt. Lady and Ryuku as examples when they're obviously pro heroes just like Mirko.

But I was more saying that I don't really know where to include anyone as far as good fighter goes. The Joint Training Arc was 141 chapters ago, we only saw Star and Stripe for like 5 chapters and Lady Nagant didn't stick around forever, so I'm just not sure if I should include them or not. I dunno, I feel like they're not around enough that I should include them? I don't even fully know my own point.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Mt. Lady has ended up about as metal as anyone else in the series with her willingness to throw herself into some of the most dangerous foes and just tank hits.

Mineta should study under her again.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Okay so two things, yes I count that. And I also undermined my point by listing pro heroes while talking about characters with screen time and then using Mt. Lady and Ryuku as examples when they're obviously pro heroes just like Mirko.

But I was more saying that I don't really know where to include anyone as far as good fighter goes. The Joint Training Arc was 141 chapters ago, we only saw Star and Stripe for like 5 chapters and Lady Nagant didn't stick around forever, so I'm just not sure if I should include them or not. I dunno, I feel like they're not around enough that I should include them? I don't even fully know my own point.

Yeah I guess that's a fair call. We do have Toga as one of the main boss fights left so that might be cool and I suppose Nejire is also fighting Shigaraki currently as well but it would have been nice to have some more powerful female heroes/villains in the final stretch.

Maybe Nagant will come back and shoot Shigaraki with a quirk-erasing bullet or something. She and Overhaul have to come back into this in some way.

Shinjobi posted:

Mt. Lady has ended up about as metal as anyone else in the series with her willingness to throw herself into some of the most dangerous foes and just tank hits.

Mineta should study under her again.

Mineta should be under her, but not in any way that he wants. Accidents happen on the battlefield.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 11, 2022

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Zeron posted:

Most everyone else has like, at the very least a particular hero niche they are shooting for and are very good at. Meanwhile it's not very clear what Momo even wants to do or if she has any plans. She'd make a great rescue hero! But I don't recall her showing any particular inclination towards that in the series. And she's uh, just not training in the right areas to be a good combat hero either. I guess trying to do everything at once and freezing up and failing because of it -is- her biggest character flaw.

Her most effective super hero role would be using her ability to create wealth from nothing to help the poor and needy.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

socialsecurity posted:

Her most effective super hero role would be using her ability to create wealth from nothing to help the poor and needy.
Momo Yaoyorozu: A Transitional Energy Source will be a successful spinoff manga, indeed

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If there's a Hero out there as obsessed with medicine as Mei is with tech, they should send Momo to intern with her. Within 7 months they'll have figured out Momo's DNA to the point that she can just duplicate herself like Twice and invite 70 page thread discussions on if she dies when she makes more of herself like a teleporter.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Momo seems almost like she's an intentionally useless joke character, a Dan Hibiki of MHA characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

Momo seems almost like she's an intentionally useless joke character, a Dan Hibiki of MHA characters.

I mean she isn't. She is consistently very useful and capable of pulling out things people need. It is just that her skillset puts her in the background doing stuff instead of the foreground.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Flesnolk posted:

Nah, she has one of the strongest quirks in the entire series, and Horikoshi clearly doesn't view her as a joke, it's just that I think the attempt to write her as held back by being indecisive and hesitant fell so flat it burrowed into the core of the earth and the "I beat Momo but I don't *feel* like I won" incident helped turn her into an eternal meme here.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Momo is extremely powerful, but in the world of city-destroying heavy hitters she would probably have to do some warcriming and instantly kill people to compete.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Momo will become Netero from HxH and Shigaraki will die from radiation poisoning.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Momo is extremely powerful, but in the world of city-destroying heavy hitters she would probably have to do some warcriming and instantly kill people to compete.

She was the MVP for taking down Gigantomachia. It's just someone else had to do the final steps for the delivery.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momo doesn't need to be a frontline fighter to be effective. The "I don't feel like I won" stuff and the Gigantomachina fight are both supposed to emphasize that she is the person who gets people to where they need to be, even if she herself isn't on the frontline. You can come up with "well logically her power can (x)" stuff but however her power is explained it isn't supposed to be the ultimate combat weapon. If she is on your team you are going to be much better off than if she isn't in terms of on-the-fly resources and needs.

It gets memed a bit too hard but Momo has proven herself repeatedly capable of doing things right and even if she doesn't get an unqualified success she certainly makes things closer than they could be.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Momo's quirk was originally meant to go to a pro hero but that was so obviously OP Horikoshi intentionally chose to give it to somebody still in their formative stage 'cause that'd be more interesting. That's kind of the point.
He may've overdone it a bit though.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Imo Momo's worst sin is her hero name

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Scholtz posted:

Agreed a hundred and ten percent.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Scholtz posted:

it's her absurd costume but her name is in the running

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Every time Momo's on screen everyone should be asking ' Why aren't you a Philosopher's Stone?'

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what even is momo's hero name

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Manatee Cannon posted:

what even is momo's hero name

Creati

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Momo should have switched to the support course a long time ago, she and Mei together could make a Gundam in like a month.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Scallop Eyes posted:

Momo should have switched to the support course a long time ago, she and Mei together could make a Gundam in like a month.

Underestimating Mei a bit there, surely. I'd give it two weeks tops.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Horikoshi's good at coming up with new characters and situations that feel like they have a lot of potential, but less so on leveraging that potential within the actual story. It's a common issue some creators seem to have (see: my avatar) where they seem to enjoy introducing new ideas and characters into the story more than they do following all the way through with the characters and story beats they've already set up.

It leads to serious pacing problems, as the length of the story balloons out to try and accommodate everyone (which leads to more characters getting introduced, which stretches out the story...). Eventually, things come to a head when the writer is forced to buckle down and drive everything toward a conclusion, even if subplots need awkwardly fast or off-screen resolutions.

I think part of the reason MHA had such a strong start is because it's before the number of characters and subplots reached a critical mass. The arcs that kept the focus more tightly on Class 1-A showed off a lot of potential for future storylines following up on these characters and their development - hell, Iida got a whole plotline, something pretty hard to imagine by halfway through the story. With a smaller cast available to fill out arcs, characters got a lot more attention who in the future would be eclipsed.

That's might be where the disappointment for characters like Momo comes from. Readers had quite a while to get invested in where a lot of characters were going before they receded into the background.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 12, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Someone reading like, the first 20% of the manga could very easily draw the conclusion that the three main protagonist focus characters were going to be Deku, Ochako, and Iida, and you'd get some shonen rival stuff with Bakugo.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kanos posted:

Someone reading like, the first 20% of the manga could very easily draw the conclusion that the three main protagonist focus characters were going to be Deku, Ochako, and Iida, and you'd get some shonen rival stuff with Bakugo.

This is pretty much how I thought it was going down.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair that is a fun game to play with a lot of manga.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The sad thing is that Ochako is still the closest thing MHA has to a female lead.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Kanos posted:

This was honestly what I expected, too.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Tbh I wouldn't really say that's a "conclusion you can draw", those 3 literally are the protagonists for the early parts of the manga, before iida and ochako are more or less replaced by bakugo and todoroki.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

And I would replace bland-as-rice Todoroki with Iida in a loving heartbeat.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I'd take Iida over Todoroki but I'd also like to keep the dabi relation.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hell yeah Iida's evil brother Iidab (that's Dabii backwards), who was abused by his father for not having a body able to withstand his speed, whose skin is in tatters because he ran so fast the wind sliced it away.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

What if Ingenium was a ball of hate and fire?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Whatever happened to that really cool dude with the wind powers? If you'd asked me to guess I'd say he was gonna be a big deal later. Nope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Punished Ingenium
A hero betrayed by his father