Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I'll always remember that guy as Poor lil tink tink. :v:

Ak Gara has a new favorite as of 20:16 on Nov 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ak Gara posted:

redacted :words:

Is that how Rachel ends up? I haven't seen BR2 yet cuz I was pretty ready to be disappointed.

It would make sense that the one replicant that Tyrell makes who has the memories of his niece who died young would be the same one that he didn't set up to die all young like sean

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.

Karate gums?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gum posted:

Isn't this exactly what happened here?

Yes, the Pistorius sentence was below the minimum of 15 years. The courts remedied that by adjusting the sentence to 15 yrs minus time served.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

syscall girl posted:

Is that how Rachel ends up? I haven't seen BR2 yet cuz I was pretty ready to be disappointed.

It would make sense that the one replicant that Tyrell makes who has the memories of his niece who died young would be the same one that he didn't set up to die all young like sean

I haven't seen the new one either, yet, but he says in the first one the 4 year limit doesn't apply to her.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ak Gara posted:

I haven't seen the new one either, yet, but he says in the first one the 4 year limit doesn't apply to her.

Are you sure? It's been years since I've watched it, but I'm pretty sure the ambiguity of whether she does or doesn't have the limit is kind of the point.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ak Gara posted:

That's what Gaff wanted him to think. They make out like Bonnie and Clyde or Sam Lowry and Jill Layton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlHe-hYMkqk

:tif:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/pjV2MMj.mp4

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Proteus Jones posted:

Are you sure? It's been years since I've watched it, but I'm pretty sure the ambiguity of whether she does or doesn't have the limit is kind of the point.

Aren’t there like 4 different endings?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Aren’t there like 4 different endings?

True. Who the gently caress knows anymore. Ridley Scott has contradicted himself more than once regarding Bladerunner over the years.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DiggityDoink posted:

Shoes flying off when a person gets injured always add to the hilarity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgKoXzbw13E

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

That sent me down a rabbit hole of crash compilations from that bit of road.

I have questions
1/ Is that the only road with any sort of corners in the entire state or something? Everyone seems to be baffled by them.
2/ Why the hell would you park your car/motorcycle/self beside a bit of road that people are clearly incapable of negotiating without crashing into something.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

dissss posted:

That sent me down a rabbit hole of crash compilations from that bit of road.

I have questions
1/ Is that the only road with any sort of corners in the entire state or something? Everyone seems to be baffled by them.
2/ Why the hell would you park your car/motorcycle/self beside a bit of road that people are clearly incapable of negotiating without crashing into something.

Random articles:
https://www.wired.com/2014/02/mulholland-the-snake/
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/here-s-why-so-many-riders-crash-on-mulholland-drive/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That particular corner is a tight hairpin, but it's no worse than the dozens of similar corners I rode the other day. It's got a constant radius and it's properly banked, and it's even an open corner that you can see around. As long as you aren't coming in way too fast, it's just a matter of keeping your eyes on the exit and not jerking on the throttle or brakes.

Here's the exact corner as you see it on the uphill approach:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1003977,-118.8039015,3a,75y,38.82h,83.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxByAWxjQnudp2N2iBPucSg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The main reason that people crash there is because they're showing off for the cameras. Either they're pushing too hard to try and drag a knee, or they rip on the throttle to make noise while they're still leaned over and lose the rear, or they get distracted by the hot chick who always stands on the inside of the turn and they don't realize they're drifting to the outside, and then they target-fixate into the dirt and lose it. That rnickeymouse guy has a playlist with like a hundred videos of different crashes, and all but like five are one of those situations. Also lots of the crashes appear to be inexperienced riders who pick the wrong line, carry too much speed, only use the rear brake.

Also, it's worth noting that that's one of the most popular motorcycling roads in the second-largest city in the country. A shitload of people ride/drive that road safely every weekend, but the numbers say that you have to get some morons in the mix.

As for the people parking on the edge of the road to show off their sick gixxers, well, they're pretty fuckin dumb too

e: oh, forgot this wasn't the motorcycle thread. Well, infodump anyway

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 23:26 on Nov 24, 2017

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

EmmyOk posted:

What’s their for Finnish expats in other countries?

They accidentally the whole thing.

Contribution...

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Phanatic posted:

No, they can't. The state can't appeal just because a sentence was too light. There has to be some legal dispute at issue. Like, a prosecutor could appeal a sentence if there's something like a mandatory minimum which the sentencing judge ignored. Prosecutors can't appeal a sentence just because they think it was too light.
Interesting. I always assume the US has some way of loving over the defendant that we don't have in europe. But I guess it's the opposite in this case. Because I know prosecutors can do it in Sweden and I'm pretty sure it's possible in most of europe

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Hedenius posted:

Interesting. I always assume the US has some way of loving over the defendant that we don't have in europe.

If I'm going to be charged with a crime there's literally no place in the world I'd rather it happen to me than in the US. *Especially* if I actually committed the crime I'm charged with.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Phanatic posted:

If I'm going to be charged with a crime there's literally no place in the world I'd rather it happen to me than in the US. *Especially* if I actually committed the crime I'm charged with.

yeah, but what if you arent white?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Look at this loving chump.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

funmanguy posted:

yeah, but what if you arent white?

Pretty much the same answer. Endemic racism in the justice system is certainly a thing but a lot of that has to do with if you’re charged in the first place. Once you’re charged, if you STFU except for asking for a lawyer, this is still pretty much the best place to be. And I’m not sure being, say, a Muslim in France (where wearing a headscarf is flat-out illegal and the EU court ruled that prohibition is a-ok) would be any better.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'd still want to serve out my term in a Scandinavian system.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Phanatic posted:

:thunk:

US has the highest carceration rate in the world, dude. gently caress, at least commit your crime in Canada or something.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

CommonShore posted:

:thunk:

US has the highest carceration rate in the world, dude.

I didn’t say “if I were a casual drug user” or something like that. I specifically said charged with a crime.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hedenius posted:

Interesting. I always assume the US has some way of loving over the defendant that we don't have in europe. But I guess it's the opposite in this case. Because I know prosecutors can do it in Sweden and I'm pretty sure it's possible in most of europe

Yes, every country is perfect except the US. :goonsay:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There are other places in the world with very gentle prosecution procedures. That a US citizen has Stockholm Syndrome about their own prison industry is no surprise. And it's suitable content for the schadenfrude thread!

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
In final act, Cordray blocks Trump from naming his successor at consumer protection bureau:

quote:

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Director Richard Cordray on Friday appointed the agency’s chief of staff, Leandra English, as the CFPB’s deputy director, establishing her as his successor when he steps down at the end of the day.

The move appears designed to thwart any move by President Donald Trump to name another temporary official to head the controversial agency. Trump has been reported to be considering White House Budget Director Mick Mulvaney for the role.

The 2010 Dodd-Frank Act, which created the CFPB, explicitly says the consumer bureau's deputy director shall "serve as acting Director in the absence or unavailability of the Director."

Trump will likely now have to nominate someone who must be confirmed by the Senate before he can oust English.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Serephina posted:

There are other places in the world with very gentle prosecution procedures. That a US citizen has Stockholm Syndrome about their own prison industry is no surprise. And it's suitable content for the schadenfrude thread!

TBF he said absolutely nothing about the prison system. Only about how the justice system, in terms of a trial, is usually stacked in the defendant's favor for criminal cases.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM_x6oKX3NE

When you play the Wheel of Fortune, you win or you die

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Proteus Jones posted:

TBF he said absolutely nothing about the prison system. Only about how the justice system, in terms of a trial, is usually stacked in the defendant's favor for criminal cases.

yeah our prisons are horrible and are laws stupid, but being a defendent is pretty fair. the Robert Garrow case probably would have been resolved differently in most other countries.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Randaconda posted:

Yes, every country is perfect except the US. :goonsay:
Oh, not at all. It's just that it's easy (from a scandinavian perspective) to think every part of US criminal law is horrible when you regularly read articles about people getting sentenced to decades in jail for stuff that would get you a few years over here. And the US is not unlike every other place, minorities get hosed over in criminal cases. Same in Sweden. Difference is a bunch of US cases make international news.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I paid my way outta a DUI conviction and I'm not white

Our prisons are hosed but our courts are light pay to win and it kinda rocks sometimes.

It kinda sucks when your dumb poo poo cousin is in and out of jail for violent crimes, he always seems to get his freedom back easily enough despite being a repeat offender in Texas??

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

canyoneer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM_x6oKX3NE

When you play the Wheel of Fortune, you win or you die

To be completely fair, despite whiffing on all the letters that was a pretty drat good stab in the dark

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

KingSlime posted:

It kinda sucks when your dumb poo poo cousin is in and out of jail for violent crimes, he always seems to get his freedom back easily enough despite being a repeat offender in Texas??

No no, it's okay, he'll just never be able to get a job or rent an apartment or open a bank account again, which will certainly keep him out of crime for the rest of his life. Problem solved.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Serephina posted:

To be completely fair, despite whiffing on all the letters that was a pretty drat good stab in the dark

Except that if it was “FRIED”, “R” would be on the board. It was the first letter chosen.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Powered Descent posted:

No no, it's okay, he'll just never be able to get a job or rent an apartment or open a bank account again, which will certainly keep him out of crime for the rest of his life. Problem solved.

Would you give a job to someone that violently assaults people?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Platystemon posted:

Except that if it was “FRIED”, “R” would be on the board. It was the first letter chosen.

Maybe I'm not a Wheel of Fortune Analytical Guru, but given that sharp time constraint I can't blame her, I had no idea on Zucchini

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i got the "baked" part right but I was sure the second word was "raccoons"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I saw zucchini right away but no way in a million years would it have occurred to me that there was another solution than "fried".

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't think a zucchini has ever been baked through out all of human history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

KingSlime posted:

I paid my way outta a DUI conviction and I'm not white

Our prisons are hosed but our courts are light pay to win and it kinda rocks sometimes.

they have to let the violent criminals go to make room in the prisons for people who did a weed