Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Liface posted:

I agree, 1996 had some quality episodes that are WAY overlooked, and more of them are found every month.

Although one time I stumbled on one that was very early 1996 and Adam was actually caring about the show and acting interested in the guests. It was incredibly scary. Must have been from his first month or so solo with Dr. Drew.

http://mahalo.30.forumer.com/index.php?s=949a89bfb637d5408bedc80d9953ee04&showtopic=17527
I recommend visiting this thread from time to time, Giovanni posts the new episodes he has unearthed.

Thanks, I'm glad there are people still pursuing loveline archeology. I would gladly pay Westwood 2 money for complete years of episodes.

The other quality of the 95-97 era is to listen to Adams first experiences as a new celebrity and his outrage at things like not being played in some celebrity softball game and how he subsequently cursed out the manager. The irony is the more likable C-list 96 Adam wouldn't hate the B-list 2010 Adam at all, he'd be envious.

Liface posted:

Loveline is dead, guys. There's not a single person they could bring in to save it. Not even Adam, because he's horrifically unfunny nowadays.

Just keep listening to the old episodes. There's enough of them to keep you occupied for a long, long time.

Tom Arnold? He seems to have DAG's sensibilities but also less of an emotional wildcard. One of the more interesting aspects of Loveline is to see celebrities that "get it". There are also those that do, but don't seem to care. Or some take it too hard, The Darkness left (a lot of British guests seem uncomfortable), and Ben Stein in 98 spent the whole episode concerned but also stunned and horrified. Not to sound misogynistic, but its usually starlets that are the most annoying and don't seem to give a poo poo. The young dude actors and musicians at least occasionally shake off their stoned stupor to offer advice to some goony 15 year old.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spirited
Nov 2, 2001

Time might lead me to nowhere; Fate might break me apart; I'll always be thankful that once, along life's journey I found the unchanging Imperishable in you.
I've basically decided that competency is the most attractive thing a man can illustrate, and that men are probably almost entirely visually oriented (more expediency to find mates, contrasting the women's lack of immediacy) about their sexual selections because semen has to come out unless it's going back in to the bladder where it could become a carcinogen. Dr. Drew called women a window that's mostly closed but open to initiating suitors at only opportune times, but contraceptives have made women less selective now. Anybody want to debate these points? I would like a challenge, it's basically Loveline reinforcing this poo poo though.

edit: Competency relative to the perceived view of women, however dumb or smart they are.

edit2:

To break it down, I think however competent a man is towards a woman and general survival increases their attractiveness to a woman. Women aren't that visually oriented, physically attractive men are intimidating looking (tall, squinty eyed) which relates to their competency in survival. Think of evolutionary theory here when I mention survival, I think women are kind of the Gatekeepers in the gene pool because if a man wasn't competent in survival more prior than contraceptive usage a woman was very very hosed. In a cro-magnon day, they and their children would just die most likely. If you couldn't hunter and gather properly, you weren't about to get laid.

Men have semen to get out constantly which is why they're dogs, women ovulate like once a month (it differs), and that's their biological window to find some sperm.

spirited fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 18, 2010

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

spirited posted:

I've basically decided that competency is the most attractive thing a man can illustrate, and that men are probably almost entirely visually oriented (more expediency to find mates, contrasting the women's lack of immediacy) about their sexual selections because semen has to come out unless it's going back in to the bladder where it could become a carcinogen. Dr. Drew called women a window that's mostly closed but open to initiating suitors at only opportune times, but contraceptives have made women less selective now. Anybody want to debate these points? I would like a challenge, it's basically Loveline reinforcing this poo poo though.

edit: Competency relative to the perceived view of women, however dumb or smart they are.

My answer to that is...*fart*. Yuck yuck. It's 7:22. That's 38 minutes until the top of the hour.

spirited
Nov 2, 2001

Time might lead me to nowhere; Fate might break me apart; I'll always be thankful that once, along life's journey I found the unchanging Imperishable in you.

Jubs posted:

My answer to that is...*fart*. Yuck yuck. It's 7:22. That's 38 minutes until the top of the hour.

I agree, dawg. It's ambitious to really make statements about human nature, and I work in marketing so it's pretty drat important that I figure out mass market appeal.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

spirited posted:

Post pics.

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008
Arrogant, dumb, meat headed and stubborn. Please disregard and move on.

spirited posted:

I read this twice and have no idea what you're saying

spirited
Nov 2, 2001

TomSellek posted:

I read this twice and have no idea what you're saying

To break it down, I think however competent a man is towards a woman and general survival increases their attractiveness to a woman. Women aren't that visually oriented, physically attractive men are intimidating looking (tall, squinty eyed) which relates to their competency in survival. Think of evolutionary theory here when I mention survival, I think women are kind of the Gatekeepers in the gene pool because if a man wasn't competent in survival more prior than contraceptive usage a woman was very very hosed. In a cro-magnon day, they and their children would just die most likely. If you couldn't hunter and gather properly, you weren't about to get laid.

Men have semen to get out constantly which is why they're dogs, women ovulate like once a month (it differs), and that's their biological window to find some sperm.

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008
That sounds reasonable, my favorite serious parts of the show are where Drew would explain his theory on the evolutionary reason for certain behaviors, he said he was going to write a book on it but I guess never did. I'm always fascinated by that kind of stuff.

spirited
Nov 2, 2001

I started thinking about this when I realized James Bond, Crocodile Dundee, and Indiana Jones are sort of condensed crack rock for ideal men.

edit: "hardy" would describe all of these dudes.

Bamm Bamm
May 7, 2007

I'm not a playa, I just fuck a lot.

spirited posted:

edit2:

Phone-screener Brian, can we get a goddamn call about some big jugs for once? Seriously Drew, when was the last time we took a big jug call? No more guy callers, Brian. Christ.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

spirited posted:

because semen has to come out unless it's going back in to the bladder where it could become a carcinogen.

What?

spirited posted:

To break it down, I think however competent a man is towards a woman and general survival increases their attractiveness to a woman.

Should this be read as "...a woman in general survival...”?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yo dog I heard you like Loveline so I put a stream in your stream so you can listen while oh god why did I just do that?

I put a flash player on the main page for the Loveline Stream site so you don't need to download Winamp or anything if you want to use the stream. Great for pissing off the boss!

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008

spirited posted:

because semen has to come out unless it's going back in to the bladder where it could become a carcinogen.

JGdmn posted:

What?

Yeah, I got a "what?" out of that, too. Far as I know the only way semen ends up in the bladder is retrograde ejaculation, which isn't very common. Otherwise it just stays where it is and absorbs into the body.

Also, watch out for brake lights.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
"Baby, if we don't go all the way then you're going to give me cancer."

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*
2004-11-21, Guest Will Arnett

Will Arnett: Reality TV, it's the crack cocaine of-
Dr. Drew: It's finally, it's finally sliding out.
Will Arnett: Little bit.
Adam: Don't worry, it'll be gone by the time Drew launches his reality show.

welp.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
One of the candidates for Governor of California has proposed a real-life Pedoph-Isle.

quote:

As governor I will introduce legislation to impose mandatory expulsion of convicted pedophiles from the State of California as a condition of release from prison.

Pedophiles in the State of California will have three (3) choices:

1. Leave our State of California permanently;

2. Live on Santa Rosa Island (a self supporting community for pedophiles and sexual offenders);

3. Remain in prison for life;

http://www.hughes4governor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47:child-safety&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=53

Holland Oats fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 18, 2010

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd

CatchrNdRy posted:

Thanks, I'm glad there are people still pursuing loveline archeology. I would gladly pay Westwood 2 money for complete years of episodes.

Kind of meta-archeology but, do we know who was recording these episodes and keeping them for all of these years? It's seems kind of an insane task to be doing almost 15 years ago. Recording on tapes? Archiving like an insane OCD person then encoding them all to MP3s eventually? Some of the quality of the recordings as well are quite good too. This was a serious effort by someone.

Don't get me wrong, I'm eternally grateful for what they have given us but, I'm just insanely curious as to what the origin story is. If anyone actually knows.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
Back in the old day we'd record radio on tape. It's also possible that you had a couple people recording them on their computer.

Same deal with people recording local TV shows, like hosted horror movies and whatnot. Hell, the lady I used to work with still has her original recording of The Star Wars Holiday Special from back when it aired.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ATLbeer posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm eternally grateful for what they have given us but, I'm just insanely curious as to what the origin story is. If anyone actually knows.

http://www.lovelinetapes.com/faq/

"Super Fan" Giovanni posted:

Shortly after I discovered the TV show I discovered the much superior radio show which at the time was syndicated on 100.7 the buzz in Wa state, this must have been sometime in 1997 or so.

I then began archiving mp3's of the show in late 98 and have been doing it ever since, I have been working in and around various online communities since the late 90's, I remember exchanging old mp3's on the original Napster, Audiogalaxy, too many gnutella clients to name and many other different P2P programs, I've been using the DC++ hub since the early days and would frequent all the old LL ftp's (kevin U's, lovelinehamandcheez, etc.) I used to love downloading from the Lovelinearchive (RIP) and worked on Lovelinecentral (RIP) with Adam D. and rush before it was closed down.

In the past few years my efforts have been dedicated to finding old tapes and then transferring them, I have a unique setup for the process and very specific settings, it results in the best sounding shows yet to be released, It takes me about 3-4 weeks on average for 100 shows but I have done 200 in less than 6 weeks before, these old fan made recordings are the last hope we have of ever completing the archive, if you're reading this and have any tapes please email me ASAP.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 19, 2010

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild
Was The Greaseman ever syndicated to California? As a DC native, I find it funny how much Adam rags on him. I don't recall him ever mimicking any other shock-jock.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

BorderPatrol posted:

http://www.lovelinetapes.com/faq/

Holy poo poo... IT'S UP!

edit: and apparently it's been up for a while... how did I miss this?

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW
I'm listening to Sunday, December 7, 1997 and its hilarious:

Caller: Whats the long term effect of vicadin?
Drew: It's the same as shooting heroin.
Drew: Do you have a family history of Alcoholism?
Caller: No.

Drew goes on to try to convince him that he comes from a family of alcoholics and that he will die of addiction.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

The Senate posted:

I'm listening to Sunday, December 7, 1997 and its hilarious:

Caller: Whats the long term effect of vicadin?
Drew: It's the same as shooting heroin.
Drew: Do you have a family history of Alcoholism?
Caller: No.

Drew goes on to try to convince him that he comes from a family of alcoholics and that he will die of addiction.

I always find it funny when Drew will poke and pry and hypothesize about callers' families just to be right. It's usually like this:

Drew: Was your dad an alcoholic?
Caller: No
Drew: Your mom, what about her?
Caller: No, she never drank.
Drew: Grandparents, uncles, aunts, brothers, sisters?
Caller: Nobody in my family is addicted to anything.
Drew: Wellllll... I bet your father or grandfather had the alcoholism gene and you didn't know it.

Adam doesn't call him on it nearly enough.

Rockefeller
Oct 23, 2004

Ez posted:

Most of the time it's because ten minutes later into the call the caller says one of their parents is addicted to something and Adam has a rant about why he hates the callers.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

Ez posted:

Drew: Wellllll... I bet your father or grandfather had the alcoholism gene and you didn't know it.

He never says this.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Liface posted:

He never says this.

Not word for word, obviously. He does however often end his little Q&A session with a hypothesis that there was addiction in the callers family, despite their objections.

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008
Once some 16 year old girl called in talking about getting blackout drunk a lot and Drew asked her if she had a North American Indian background, she instantly said no, he asked her again, she said no again, he said whats your ethnicity, and she replied "Navajo"

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ez posted:

Not word for word, obviously. He does however often end his little Q&A session with a hypothesis that there was addiction in the callers family, despite their objections.

He does insist that there is something screwy in the background almost every caller. It's more an insistance that there is a reason people do what they do. I wouldn't be surprised if they did have a family history of addiction but the callers just didn't know about it. You know how oblivious loveline callers can be.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It'd seem suspect, but given that Drew's average on being right is well over 90% and Loveline callers are dumb, it makes total sense. We've all heard them drag the truth out of callers hundreds of times.

Edit: Oh gently caress. Adam didn't do Top Gear because of his NBC pilot, and the pilot didn't get picked up. Poor Adam. :smith:

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 20, 2010

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

It'd seem suspect, but given that Drew's average on being right is well over 90% and Loveline callers are dumb, it makes total sense. We've all heard them drag the truth out of callers hundreds of times.

Edit: Oh gently caress. Adam didn't do Top Gear because of his NBC pilot, and the pilot didn't get picked up. Poor Adam. :smith:

Which podcast was this on?

John_Edwards
Dec 28, 2009
You guys don't like Psycho Mike? I think he's awesome. I completely stopped listening during the Stryker years, but Mike makes me want to get back into it.

He's really a lot like Adam. He's funny, he makes fun of callers when they deserve it, he tells worthwhile stories instead of taking calls, and he's not stuck up; all qualities Stryker desperately lacked. He does the Rudy thing a lot, but it works for him. Reminds me of Chief Thunderbear.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

UltraRed posted:

Which podcast was this on?

On the Hot Chicks with Douchebags one he talks about how terrible it would be if his NBC pilot doesn't get picked up, because he turned down Top Gear. Then today's T and B podcast he said they didn't get picked up.

frobert blamble
Feb 6, 2009

by T. Finn
Can somebody recommend some good pre-2000 shows that are complete and recorded well? It seems like most of the recordings out there are <30mb, sometimes a lot less which leads me to believe they'r either incomplete or have a terrible bitrate.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Ez posted:

I always find it funny when Drew will poke and pry and hypothesize about callers' families just to be right. It's usually like this:

Drew: Was your dad an alcoholic?
Caller: No
Drew: Your mom, what about her?
Caller: No, she never drank.
Drew: Grandparents, uncles, aunts, brothers, sisters?
Caller: Nobody in my family is addicted to anything.

Adam always calls him on it. "Drew, are you ever right?"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

On the Hot Chicks with Douchebags one he talks about how terrible it would be if his NBC pilot doesn't get picked up, because he turned down Top Gear. Then today's T and B podcast he said they didn't get picked up.

I like that he's going to be going full speed ahead with the podcast, though - it sounds like it's going to be like an uncensored version of the morning show, which I like the sound of.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Majorian posted:

I like that he's going to be going full speed ahead with the podcast, though - it sounds like it's going to be like an uncensored version of the morning show, which I like the sound of.

Me too. I always liked the morning show, and the T&B era after Bonaduce was all gold. If it's an uncensored version of that I'm all for it.

Also George Takei needs to come back for like a four hour interview.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Me too. I always liked the morning show, and the T&B era after Bonaduce was all gold. If it's an uncensored version of that I'm all for it.

Also George Takei needs to come back for like a four hour interview.

Yeah, I hope ol' George comes back; he seemed to take some of Adam's questions about the internment camps the wrong way last time, so I hope there weren't/aren't any hard feelings.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 20, 2010

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Majorian posted:

Yeah, I hope ol' George comes back; he seemed to take some of Adam's questions about the internment camps the wrong way last time, so I hope there weren't/aren't any hard feelings.

He doesn't seem like the type to take things personally. At least I hope not, his interview on the morning show was one of the most interesting things I've ever heard.

Need another Ken Burns visit too.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Need another Ken Burns visit too.

Dear God yes. I got to see him speak in DC on the Fourth of July a couple years back, so I knew he was very eloquent, but I'm still struck by how incredibly well-spoken he was off the cuff as well.

By the way, one thing I miss from the Stryker era was that one music sting they had leading into commercial breaks where a guy was breathily whispering, "I'm on drugs...I'm gay...I'm depressed..." and other stuff like that. Arguably the most unintentionally hilarious recurring feature from that period of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

frobert blamble posted:

Can somebody recommend some good pre-2000 shows that are complete and recorded well? It seems like most of the recordings out there are <30mb, sometimes a lot less which leads me to believe they'r either incomplete or have a terrible bitrate.

http://www.lovelinedownloads.com/ll1998.htm

the ben stein, matt parker and trey as well as the DAG episode are quite good. You shouldn't avoid the incompletes, as most of the call themselves are pretty self contained. the "missing-end" ones are a little more frustrating cause occasionally they'll be a call that is cut off.

• Locked thread