Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I hope this is the right place to ask this, if not, i'll gladly retract it.

I am thinking of wall mounting a tv, but the best spot for it is in kind of weird place. Where the roof angles down and meets the wall there is a built in bookshelf. Here are some pics...

I'd like to mount a bracket, say, maybe, this one, inside the shelving so the tv is more or less flush against the outside edge of the shelving. I'd assume there is a stud about where I marked a blue x in that third pic, but I don't want to gamble my $1000 tv on a hunch, and I am a little unsure about my stud finder and what else might be there. There doesn't seem to be anything past rear of the shelving, otherwise I'd try there first. What do you guys think the studs look like around there? Would it even be safe to mount something weighing maybe 50lbs in to the wide face of a 2x4?

Anything else to consider?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

deoju fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

deoju posted:

I'd like to mount a bracket, say, maybe, this one, inside the shelving so the tv is more or less flush against the outside edge of the shelving. I'd assume there is a stud about where I marked a blue x in that third pic, but I don't want to gamble my $1000 tv on a hunch, and I am a little unsure about my stud finder and what else might be there. There doesn't seem to be anything past rear of the shelving, otherwise I'd try there first. What do you guys think the studs look like around there? Would it even be safe to mount something weighing maybe 50lbs in to the wide face of a 2x4?

I'm not sure you can assume there is a stud there - it depends how they mounted it. However, the good news is that you will probably be fine with ~50 lbs since it looks like the side of that shelf goes all the way down, and it is supporting however much weight in books you have on those shelves.

To check if you have a stud, you could try a stud finder first, but unless it is an ultrasonic one, it probably won't work. However, since you know the height of your bracket placement and will know where it will sit on the shelf, you can easily test for studs with a long, skinny drill bit. Just go through the shelf and see if you hit a stud or not.

Even without a stud, though, you'll probably be okay with toggle bolts for just 50 pounds.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Are your shelves completely lined with wood on the inside? The extra density can screw with cheaper studfinders. So can plaster.

That being said, I doubt that there would be a stud on the interior sides of your shelves except for along the edges. Knee walls are just like regular walls and require studs every 16" to 24", so if your shelves aren't at least 16" deep, don't expect to find a stud in the middle of the span. Your best bet would be to find the stud closer to the face. And you got the right idea: due to the way a stud would be mounted in a corner like that, you would be screwing into the wide face of the stud. As long as you use some more substantial screws to attach it to the wall you should be golden. Monoprice sells great stuff, the included fasteners should be fine.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

deoju posted:

A structural 2x4 will have no problems supporting a 50lb TV. The sidewall of that bookshelf would also be strong enough- again, depending how it's supported. You can drill an exploratory hole through the board to see what's behind it. I'm not sure you can assume a stud where you made the X. You can be pretty sure there's a stud on the *other* side of the shelf, though. Likely just one stud, though, which only gives you about 1.5" of stud to screw into, but the shelf itself looks pretty substantial, too.

grover fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 20, 2012

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

This feels like the correct place to ask this regarding my hot water tank.

I hope this makes sense...

I had a new hot water tank put in my house about 7-8 years ago. What I've noticed lately is that if I'm filling my bath tub I'll set the water temperature to the way I like it (super hot) but after maybe a minute of running, the water will be cold and I need to keep adjusting the cold water flow to be less and less until it's pretty much just 100% hot water running out of the tap. When I turn down the cold water flow the hot water is still scorching hot though, so it's not a problem where the hot water isn't as hot as normal.

Any idea what could be causing this?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

I had a new hot water tank put in my house about 7-8 years ago. What I've noticed lately is that if I'm filling my bath tub I'll set the water temperature to the way I like it (super hot) but after maybe a minute of running, the water will be cold and I need to keep adjusting the cold water flow to be less and less until it's pretty much just 100% hot water running out of the tap. When I turn down the cold water flow the hot water is still scorching hot though, so it's not a problem where the hot water isn't as hot as normal.

I think faucets usually mix based on pressure. My guess is somehow, water pressure is being lost somewhere along your hot water pipe system, possibly in the tank. The fact that it mixes fine for the first minute is interesting... possibly your hot water tank intake is messed up, causing it to not refill somehow, which means your hot water pressure is fine at first but then gets weak?
Someone here probably knows lots more than me, but that's my first take on it.

Bean Bandit
Jan 25, 2003

Is there any chance the roots of a shrub could grow deep enough into the ground to damage a sewer line? I have a Texas Sage and a Winter's Pride shrub that are both just about above where the sewer line is most likely buried, and they've only been there about a year, so digging them up wouldn't be too hard but I don't want to go through the trouble if it's safe to leave them there.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

InternetJunky posted:

Let's skip the new hot water heater for a minute. Do you have another tub or a separate shower in that tub? If so, what happens with those?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Bean Bandit posted:

Is there any chance the roots of a shrub could grow deep enough into the ground to damage a sewer line? I have a Texas Sage and a Winter's Pride shrub that are both just about above where the sewer line is most likely buried, and they've only been there about a year, so digging them up wouldn't be too hard but I don't want to go through the trouble if it's safe to leave them there.

Yes. We had one at a rental house in Augusta that kept plugging up the line and having to be reamed out about every 6 months till I finally ripped it up.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

GD_American posted:

Yes. We had one at a rental house in Augusta that kept plugging up the line and having to be reamed out about every 6 months till I finally ripped it up.
Yep, dig it up. Pretty common actually. One of my neighbors had an old tree that destroyed their drain line.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I just noticed my MacBook power supply cord is torn. It doesn't work anymore when it's bent at the tear, but when I 'straighten' it, power seems to flow just fine. I was going to buy a new laptop as soon as the next MacBook update was out anyway, so I don't feel like buying a new power cord for what might be all of two months at the most. Think I could just put some electical tape on it without it becoming a fire hazard? Two or three of the little wires under the tear seem snapped, but most of it is in good condition.

(Apologies for the huge image, I can't seem to replace the attachment with a smaller one.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jolan fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 22, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
:stare: Holy poo poo, that's burnt, probably from arcing. Please, stop using it immediately.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo, that's burnt, probably from arcing. Please, stop using it immediately.

Doesn't look burnt (still all silvery), probably just a bad picture. I'll see if I can snap another one. But just to be safe, I unplugged it when I noticed the tear, so no worries. :)

Edit: phone camera sucks at macro shots, so it's not too clear:

(The dirty streaks on the white are just wear and tear, the cord's nearly 5 years old.)

Jolan fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 22, 2012

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Yeah FYI those cords get really dirty FAST. I can't tell you how to fix it but I can tell you how to avoid this in the future: wind your cord the right loving way

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
The white plastic is what looks burnt brown at the edges of the tear. However, if your power goes on and off when you move it, it doesn't matter what the color is, I guarantee you it's arcing (and probably getting hot from making a marginal-contact but full-power connection). v:shobon:v

Once a wire is broken (one of yours is), electrical tape will hide the problem but won't fix it. Personally, I think that kind of fix is worse than no fix because other people will look at it and say "oh this is fixed, it's okay to use for whatever"; if it gets hot enough, the tape will just burn.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 22, 2012

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

jackyl posted:

Let's skip the new hot water heater for a minute. Do you have another tub or a separate shower in that tub? If so, what happens with those?
The shower in the tub comes through the same lines as the tub so I just did a test with the sink in the bathroom instead. After running the tap for minutes the water temp didn't change significantly, so the problem seems to be just with the tub/shower.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Splizwarf posted:

The white plastic is what looks burnt brown at the edges of the tear. However, if your power goes on and off when you move it, it doesn't matter what the color is, I guarantee you it's arcing (and probably getting hot from making a marginal-contact but full-power connection). v:shobon:v

Once a wire is broken (one of yours is), electrical tape will hide the problem but won't fix it. Personally, I think that kind of fix is worse than no fix because other people will look at it and say "oh this is fixed, it's okay to use for whatever"; if it gets hot enough, the tape will just burn.
Yes, this. If you want to continue to use it, you'd have to cut out the damaged piece of cable and re-solder it. There are a number of how-tos online. Looks like it's a pretty simple job.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

InternetJunky posted:

The shower in the tub comes through the same lines as the tub so I just did a test with the sink in the bathroom instead. After running the tap for minutes the water temp didn't change significantly, so the problem seems to be just with the tub/shower.

Yeah, that's what I expected. So it is one of a couple of things. The cheapest and easiest thing to do is to replace the cartridge, and see if that does it. Here's an example of how to do it for Moen faucets:

http://bungalow23.com/2009/02/25/how-to-replace-a-moen-shower-valve-cartridge/

Other brands are similar, but will attach slightly differently, etc. Not a major replacement process difference, though. It isn't a hard replacement at all, so don't worry about doing it yourself.

These are relatively cheap too, and you can get them at big box stores.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

grover posted:

Yes, this. If you want to continue to use it, you'd have to cut out the damaged piece of cable and re-solder it. There are a number of how-tos online. Looks like it's a pretty simple job.

Well, I can't solder and I don't know who could, so my laptop's functionally bricked until I throw away a lot of money. :(

Edit: wait, a follow-up question: a MacBook Pro comes with an 85W power supply/cord, a MacBook Air with a 45W one. Could you use the 85W cord on a MacBook Air (that's supposed to get 45W) or would that be bad?

Jolan fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 23, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Devices only draw what they need, you should be fine if the plug fits and Apple didn't do any special :nyd: fuckery. I assume the Air has a fatter pipe because it's meant to charge extra quickly?

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Devices only draw what they need, you should be fine if the plug fits and Apple didn't do any special :nyd: fuckery. I assume the Air has a fatter pipe because it's meant to charge extra quickly?

Guess so. I'll try to drop by my local reseller to ask about it, if the 85W one works perfectly on an MBA it won't be wasted money. :)

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!
I want to spraypaint some lovely old light fixtures that are made of metal.

I have the right spraypaint, I know that.

I assume I have to sand them? What should I sand them with? Not sure what they're made out of; they're a washed-out yellowy-browny-white color. Brass looks closest to me.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Karma Guard posted:

I assume I have to sand them?

What? No.

Wash them with a nice household cleaner that doesn't chew through metal or some warm, soapy water. Dry them off and handle them with the edge of a towel until you finish painting so you don't slob your greasy fingers all over their clean metal.

Paint.

Wish you hadn't.

Remember to open the window as the fumes overcome you and you fall and whack your shins stumbling over to window and then wait a few hours for the paint to dry.

Ta-da, painted metal fixtures!

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!

CuddleChunks posted:

What? No.

Wash them with a nice household cleaner that doesn't chew through metal or some warm, soapy water. Dry them off and handle them with the edge of a towel until you finish painting so you don't slob your greasy fingers all over their clean metal.

Paint.

Wish you hadn't.

Remember to open the window as the fumes overcome you and you fall and whack your shins stumbling over to window and then wait a few hours for the paint to dry.

Ta-da, painted metal fixtures!

I had to sand everything else before painting it! :saddowns: I don't know how spraypaint works.

But thanks!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Karma Guard posted:

I had to sand everything else before painting it! :saddowns: I don't know how spraypaint works.

No problem. You want a nice smooth surface for the paint to stick to which is why you'd sand down your wood before spraying. Metal already is a nice smooth surface, you just need to clean off any oils or grease that would inhibit paint sticking.

Serious protip - do your spraypainting outside on a nice warm day because that stuff is *vile*. You don't want to try this inside a house.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I may have brought this up before but I couldn't find it... I'm ready now to rip out the carpet in my family room and replace it with laminate flooring. But my question is, the family room used to be a garage with a concrete slab. In the summer, the sun beats down on the driveway and heats up the concrete which in turns make the family room floor/room hot. I want to put down rigid insulation before flooring. Is there a structural insulation or is the blue stuff okay? I don't want to raise the floor too much and cause issues.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

wormil posted:

I may have brought this up before but I couldn't find it... I'm ready now to rip out the carpet in my family room and replace it with laminate flooring. But my question is, the family room used to be a garage with a concrete slab. In the summer, the sun beats down on the driveway and heats up the concrete which in turns make the family room floor/room hot. I want to put down rigid insulation before flooring. Is there a structural insulation or is the blue stuff okay? I don't want to raise the floor too much and cause issues.

Just buy the 3 in 1 underlayment and you will be fine. The 3rd is a sound barrier, which you don't need, but sound barrier is insulation, which you do need.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

jackyl posted:

Just buy the 3 in 1 underlayment and you will be fine. The 3rd is a sound barrier, which you don't need, but sound barrier is insulation, which you do need.

Well I was hoping for more insulation, maybe an 1". I found a post on a DIY forum where the laminate floor manufacturer recommended 3/8" OSB over the rigid foam so I'll look into that. My biggest concern is that there is a bathroom attached and I can't pick up the tub so I may have to either go with thinner insulation than I want or jury rig some sort of trim next to the tub. Also have to figure out the toilet.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

CuddleChunks posted:

No problem. You want a nice smooth surface for the paint to stick to which is why you'd sand down your wood before spraying. Metal already is a nice smooth surface, you just need to clean off any oils or grease that would inhibit paint sticking.

Serious protip - do your spraypainting outside on a nice warm day because that stuff is *vile*. You don't want to try this inside a house.
My understanding has always been quite the opposite - You want a slightly roughed up surface for paint to stick to, no? I would imagine paint will strip right off of a smooth metal surface

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

The proper way to do it would be to wet-sand the metal, then use an etching primer, and then put your final finish on top of that, but if you're just using rattle-cans it's gonna look like rear end anyway, so don't bother doing prep.

Gix
May 18, 2008

Hail Eris.
Everything changes.
Keep me in flux.
I am the calm center of Chaos.
All hail Discordia.
Super-basic question that the internet has been giving me mixed answer about:

I just reorganized my room. Because of which outlets are grounded and which aren't, I had to move my bed right next to an outlet that a power strip is plugged into. The outlet and the plug part of the strip are only about 1" away from the head of the bed, and might be covered by pillows depending on how I am sleeping. The actual power strip is a good foot away from the bed.

Is this a fire hazard? Can the outlet and plug potentially overheat and ignite my bed, or is it only a danger with the power strip? (Apartment is old, but in two years there have been no signs of unreliable wiring, if that makes a difference.)

Thanks.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Potentially, yes. Highly unlikely, though. Pillows alone aren't going to be an issue; damage to the cord, or the plug coming partially undone and something shorting it out, with sparks igniting anything nearby, are the real danger.

A surge suppressor with a thin-line plug and integrated overload protection (10A is common) would reduce the risks even more.

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe
I searched around quickly and didn't find anything quick, so I apologize if this has been asked: Can anyone recommend a deck design software package for personal use? My dad asked me to look into this, so bonus points if it's intuitive and cheap.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Replacing the dryer vent, as the old one was in horrendous shape. The new one I bought is kind of bigger, and I'm not quite sure how to securely attach it. Should I use some kind of foam sealant?

Here's how it looks without the new vent in place:

And while I can stick the new vent on top of it, it's not secure at all and can easily fall off (for what it's worth, the old one also had this problem):

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Use blue masonry screws. The pack of screws comes with a masonry it. Drill the holes at low speed and screw it in. Once instlled, caulk around the perimeter with either exterior silicone caulk or a masonry caulk.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Sounds easy enough, thanks. Should I strip away that orange foam sealant that's already there first? Or just leave it and work around it?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I'd chisel the extended bit off the house to make it look a little more proper, then do what PainterofCrap said and put some caulk on the edge and use masonry screws to secure it to the side of the house. If you're not comfortable using masonry screws or under the mound of crap it isn't cement, you can always get wall anchors and the proper bit to mount it. Personally, I'd leave the old vent duct in place, get some cement and fill the wall flat first so it wouldn't look as odd then before it dries, remove the dryer vent so there's a perfect hole for your new installation then use masonry screws and caulk to secure the new vent in place.

edit: ^^^^ yes, remove the foam. I couldn't tell if it was foam or old cement that had something rusty dripping on it from the photo.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I want to install a security door on my house...the kind that installs on the existing door frame, something like this. The only problem is that the doorbell is on the existing frame and would be covered up by the security door frame. I'd like to move the door bell. Not too much, just a bit to the right. How hard would this be and how would I do it?

Edit: Here's a picture

nwin fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 25, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

nwin posted:

I'd like to move the door bell. Not too much, just a bit to the right. How hard would this be and how would I do it?
Should be really easy. Doorbell circuits are just 2 wires, and surface mounted. Take off the button, drill a new hole to the side, fish the existing cable into it, and remount your button (or any new button, they're pretty much all compatible). The only challenge may be if they fished the wire between the joist and the door frame, in which case you might have to drill at an angle into the cavity, and it could make fishing the cable interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Anyone have experience with building boats? I wouldn't mind having someone to bounce questions off when I start this process.